• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

STEAM | January 2016 - Out of cash, out of cache

Status
Not open for further replies.

zkylon

zkylewd
and the other side is

sharing a game disk is awesome

so u know

would be cool if valve made family sharing like sharing a game disk

instead of being sucky like it is now

this post keep getting brought up because people keep reading into it incorrectly and it's an infuriating thing lol

think im going to go back and edit it so that people understand that what im saying is that im not buying blow's piracy concerns, not that im stealing the fucking game dammit.
i haven't been following this mess but it seems like a pretty innocent quote being massively overblown?

Dsyndrome

Stuff's available if you supported Psychonauts 2:

Dearest backer of the excellent video game Psychonauts 2!

We’re happy to inform you that your first batch of rewards from the Psychonauts 2 Fig campaign are ready for you to enjoy! Head on over to your Humble page using the link below and you’ll find download links for:

- Psychonauts 1 on PC, Mac and Linux.
- A pack of original Psychonauts Concept art unlocked by the PSI Cadets.
- A pack of wallpapers by Natasha Allegri, Pendleton Ward, Rex Crowle, Cory Schmitz, Zac Gorman and our very own Levi Ryken, also unlocked by hardworking PSI Cadets.

https://www.humblebundle.com/s?key=<STUFF>

You’ll hear from us again in the not too distant future with updates on the game and more details on rewards.

Thank you again for supporting our campaign!

love from,

Double Fine

just saw this post

it's kinda hard to answer

there's audiologs and you'll find like "corpses" and stuff but it's no bioshock

you won't be piecing together scenes or situations, you'll just somewhere, say "that's pretty", then look for panels and that's kind of it

Thanks for the explanation.
That seem like a bit of a missed opportunity, considering how stunningly a backdrop the island is, but that's just my desire for that kind of story-telling speaking.

Caayn

Lolololol, MS dropped the Tomb Raider Rise price point from 549 NOK (I think it was previous) to 409 NOK and with the added 11% off it takes the game down to 362 NOK.

Early Win 10 store buyers must be pissed. Not sure if this only happened to the Norwegian Win 10 Store though.

So in other words, early buyers payed 130 aka 14€ too much by buying it early.
Contacted support about this, they gave me a full refund.

Popstar

this post keep getting brought up because people keep reading into it incorrectly and it's an infuriating thing lol

think im going to go back and edit it so that people understand that what im saying is that im not buying blow's piracy concerns, not that im stealing the fucking game dammit.
Nelson: Hey, look how much Skinner makes--$25,000 a year! (the kids are impressed)
Bart: (typing into a calculator) Let's see, he's 40 years old, times $25 grand...whoa, he's a millionaire!
Children: Wow!

dex3108

Well i could talk about piracy whole day. All pros and cons, reasons etc. but only handful of people would understand it and rest will probably light bonfire before first paragraph so i choose not to :D

Tizoc

Ucchedav&#257;da;193672077 said:
Looks like the Psychonauts 1 keys are not giftable, and I already own that game on Steam. Seems a bit odd to do it that way, since backers would be very likely to already own Psychonauts 1.

Actually you can; just click on Redeem on steam to get the Steam key instead of linking the game to your steam account :p

Case in point:
ModBot said:
Instructions for participants:
I am giving away a Steam key. To enter this giveaway, send a PM to ModBot with any subject line. In the body, copy and paste the entire line from the message below containing the game you want to enter for. Confused? Watch this GIF tutorial or ask for help.

ModBot Basics:
- This giveaway has a manual blocklist. The giver has identified members who abuse giveaways and restricted them from participating.
- No need to thank me. Please don't post thank you messages in thread or in PM.
- Do not trade keys you win off-site to enrich yourself. Don't try to claim games you have no interest in collecting or playing. Don't claim games to give them to friends off-site.
- If the key is already taken you will not receive a reply. Replies may take a minute or two.

Rules for this Giveaway:
- Only GAF members who are NOT junior members are eligible for this giveaway.
- If you are a lurker you are not eligible for this giveaway. You need five or more posts in either the current Steam thread or the previous one to be eligible
- This giveaway is a raffle. The winners will be selected by random draw 3 hours after the draw was created. Any games not claimed after that point will be given away first come first serve.

Psychonauts -- MB-48D4AD3DD78F9924 - Taken by Madn - Taken by Saty. 6 entrants total.

t1454102831z1.png

Work has been exausting so I'm really not in the mood for a game that forces me to think lol.
That's the last thing I need when I get home. I'll just continue beating up thugs in Yakuza 5 and play dress-up with Becky.
My brother needs to give me back my PS4 so I can finish Bloodborne.
These 3 need to be in the can before Dark Souls 3.

Ludens

Banned
Well, it seems people already completed The Witness

CZ2zq9yWIAAk_kl.jpg

so I think it's not really 100 hours long, noe even 70?
I mean, it relesed three days ago.

zkylon

zkylewd
It works for us. None of our schedules overlap and we have other hobbies, so being locked out of our library every now and then is no big deal.
i don't see how that could work unless you're in different timezones or you work the midnight shift or something lol

i mean, i'm sure you can make a schedule with your friends but that's imo the very definition of awful lol

Ucchedav&#257;da;193671738 said:
Thanks for the explanation.
That seem like a bit of a missed opportunity, considering how stunningly a backdrop the island is, but that's just my desire for that kind of story-telling speaking.
i kind of agree. there's definitely the sense that there's a bigger picture here that the island is telling you but it's more like a "general idea", not really any concrete stories that you're forensic-ing your way through

but this game is about the puzzles, its rules and the deconstruction of said rules. it's kind of fascinating when it happens but if you want a story of the style of braid or something i feel like you're gonna walk out emptyhanded

tho this is like 4 hours in, might be different later on

Jawmuncher

Playfield having Dragons Dogma already for $19.49 is a good deal. I wonder if they'll keep up with the good deals. The resident evil sale last week was good as well.
https://playfield.io/dragons-dogma-dark-arisen

-----

Family sharing is cool, unless you're the "JaseC" of your group. Everyone I know barely plays on PC and if they do all they own are smaller fare.

Messiah

CZ2zq9yWIAAk_kl.jpg

Why are you so focused on the time it takes to beat this game?

Getting the platinum does just mean finishing the game, not solving all the puzzles and finding all the secrets as far as I know.

CZ2zq9yWIAAk_kl.jpg

Well if you know what to do you could probably do it in 15 hours. I have played 20 hours and probably have another 20 or 30. I would say its a 40-50 hour game.

Ludens

Banned

Getting the platinum does just mean finishing the game, not solving all the puzzles and finding all the secrets as far as I know.

As I wrote, didn't know that.
It's just a curiosity of mine, since usually when devs say "Around 100 hours", it's like half that time.
Like Kojima did with MGSV (so huge only a few can complete it etc. etc.)

def sim

i don't see how that could work unless you're in different timezones or you work the midnight shift or something lol

i mean, i'm sure you can make a schedule with your friends but that's imo the very definition of awful lol

Well, my sister is a nurse and works the overnight shift and my best friend works nights as well. None of us play for very long or too much, so overlap is not a problem on days off.

I can see how family sharing can be completely useless to very active players, though.

Yeah, something like that. We message each other beforehand so I haven't seen that prompt in a long time.

The other person has to launch a game for you to get the boot. You get 5 minutes to finish up.
Ah, doesn't sound so bad then.
Nelson: Hey, look how much Skinner makes--$25,000 a year! (the kids are impressed)
Bart: (typing into a calculator) Let's see, he's 40 years old, times $25 grand...whoa, he's a millionaire!
Children: Wow!

"I wasn't a principal when I was one!"

Where's my Super Nintendo Chalmers

bunch of turds

Welcome to GAF, enjoy your stay. ;)

And on that bombshell...

But is it cheaper than The Witness?

CZ2zq9yWIAAk_kl.jpg

I posted yesterday that people were already platinum'ing the game, which seemed fast until you know that Blow pulled a Klei with the achievements and just put enough in as padding to satisfy Sony's requirement.

The industry (and game players) focus on the time to beat the game as a benchmark for value based on the current pricepoint. Not everyone will want to find all the secrets or solve all the puzzles. Just as not everyone gets every collectible or does every optional mission in an Ubisoft game.

Messiah

The industry (and game players) focus on the time to beat the game as a benchmark for value based on the current pricepoint. Not everyone will want to find all the secrets or solve all the puzzles. Just as not everyone gets every collectible or does every optional mission in an Ubisoft game.

No, I get that but if I remember correctly the 100 hours from that quote is talking about completing everything there is on that island so I don't really see the point of riding on that number.

Actually you can; just click on Redeem on steam to get the Steam key instead of linking the game to your steam account :p:

Thank you, that was a bit misleading.
In that case I might as well clean out my DF keys, in case anyone still doesn't own them all:

ModBot said:
I am giving away 5 Steam keys. To enter this giveaway, send a PM to ModBot with any subject line. In the body, copy and paste the entire line from the message below that corresponds to the game you want. (if you include more than one game, you will be blocked from entering). Confused? Watch this GIF tutorial or ask for help.

ModBot Basics:
- I really appreciate thank you messages, but please send them to me (Ucchedav&#257;da, not ModBot!) via PM instead of in thread.
- Do not trade keys you win off-site to enrich yourself. Don't try to claim games you have no interest in collecting or playing. Don't claim games to give them to friends off-site.
- If the key is already taken you will not receive a reply. Replies may take a minute or two.

Rules for this Giveaway:
- If you are a lurker you are not eligible for this giveaway. You need five or more posts in either the current Steam thread or the previous one to be eligible
- This giveaway is a raffle. The winners will be selected by random draw 3 hours after the draw was created. Any games not claimed after that point will be given away first come first serve.

Stacking -- MB-50D1844386A45A5B - Taken by texhnolyze. 1 entrants total.
Psychonauts -- MB-F8F10D80FE9937D7 - Taken by gurm3n. 2 entrants total.
Psychonauts, Stacking, and Costume Quest -- MB-E9242B40FB106B6F - Taken by Regginator. 4 entrants total.
Brutal Legend -- MB-AB7AA103F2076992 - Taken by UnderWaterTree. 6 entrants total.
Hack 'n' Slash -- MB-87E60ACE58D2E499 - Taken by Neverforget. 2 entrants total.

t1454103911z1.png

No, I get that but if I remember correctly the 100 hours from that quote is talking about completing everything there is on that island so I don't really see the point of riding on that number.

Probably the same reason anyone rides any dev who puts out a "this many hours of gameplay".

FC3 may take "70 hours" or whatever for the average player to hit that 100% campaign complete status, find everything, do everything, etc.

But then the achievements/trophies are badly designed, the optional content is something that isn't compelling to players for one reason or another, and next think you know, people are finishing the game in 20 hours and doing most of everything else in 40. And then the dev gets called on it.

To be fair to The Witness though, you'd have to check that 100 hour quote against statistics reported to someplace like howlongtobeat.com; without achievements designed to use as markers for ascertaining 100% complete, it's about the only way to check [and then relies on the users reporting data accurately and being a good cross section of the actual makeup of the player base].

Do you get anything for getting 100% in the witness?

Different ending or something?

A feeling of smugness/satisfaction, I suppose.
Some might say that's spot on for a game developed by Jonathan Blow.

Oof.
Bombshell is getting ripped to shreds by reviewers.

I like the game...
Maybe I'm out of touch.

I saw your review.
I skiimmed it (sometimes you write a LOT :p) and said "huh, what is this game, I've never heard of it and I don't own it."
I proceeded to check out the steam page where I was surprised by the price... and started to watch gameplay videos to see if it would interest me. Noted the "mostly positive" even though no reviews immediately show on the bottom of the page and then clicked "add to wishlist".
Then I saw Tizoc say it's on nuuvem for cheap (unsure if it's acquirable with solely a VPN or if it's locked out from that as well).

It looks kind of interesting and seems to have that good "cheesy" style to it. And usually, for the most part, when I see you review something, I generally agree with it if it's a game I played, so I was going to take your review as a solid basis for getting the game (at some point, maybe today if nuuvem works out)... are you telling me I shouldn't be doing so? :p

Parsnip

Psychonauts 2 backer reward.

ModBot said:
I am giving away a Steam key. To enter this giveaway, send a PM to ModBot with any subject line. In the body, copy and paste the entire line from the message below containing the game you want to enter for. Confused? Watch this GIF tutorial or ask for help.

ModBot Basics:
- This giveaway has a manual blocklist. The giver has identified members who abuse giveaways and restricted them from participating.
- I really appreciate thank you messages, but please send them to me (Parsnip, not ModBot!) via PM instead of in thread.

Rules for this Giveaway:

Psychonauts -- MB-6826F197DA4203B4 - Taken by Saty

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom