• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

STEAM | January 2016 - Out of cash, out of cache

Status
Not open for further replies.

Copons

Drop textures to high, most likely? Had the same problem with my 970 with textures on very high. Dropped it down and the stuttering is gone.

That's a 3gig card right? Drop textures to high and you should be good.

3GB indeed.

Gonna try it later, thanks!

But I oh so don't want to lower anything, as it's so beautiful. :'(

Back+to+the+Future+Doc+Brown.jpg

Sub-Zero values, you say? I think you might have a ninja problem...

Yeah, you smartypants, how would you define a frame that takes more than a second to move on to the next? :D

bloke

Not 100% sure keys are still working...
ModBot said:
Instructions for participants:
I am giving away 2 Steam keys. To enter this giveaway, send a PM to ModBot with any subject line. In the body, copy and paste the entire line from the message below that corresponds to the game you want. (if you include more than one game, you will be blocked from entering). Confused? Watch this GIF tutorial or ask for help.

ModBot Basics:
- I really appreciate thank you messages, but please send them to me (bloke, not ModBot!) via PM instead of in thread.
- Do not trade keys you win off-site to enrich yourself. Don't try to claim games you have no interest in collecting or playing. Don't claim games to give them to friends off-site.
- If the key is already taken you will not receive a reply. Replies may take a minute or two.

Front Mission Evolved -- MB-62AC92A550112BB2 - Taken by Baron_Calamity
Darksiders -- MB-7714DEC7EF5E2598 - Taken by ThirtyFour

Knurek

You do know that's what every Trails game is heavy on, right? :V

Not enough Clinton jokes to keep me invested in random NPC chatter.
Joking, obviously. Wouldn't mind Lunar SSSC on Steam though

That's why those games don't sell. Cut all that text out XSEED, and see those sales skyrocket!! Trust me!

They also would need to hire the Sakura team to redraw the character art.

anyone else on windows 10 having an issue where once their computer turns on from sleep or hibernation videos no longer play unless they reset their pc?

def sim

I'm just saying the every time I've contacted Microsoft support in the past 8 years, I've been stonewalled. Every time I've contacted Playstation support it's come to a quick and amicable resolution. I do understand that my situation is unique but that doesn't make my personal experience invalid, which is why I wrote "your mileage may vary".

Sure, fair enough.

One thing I've seen more than a couple of times from console support are "one time" resolutions. They give me a refund, but then say it's the only time I'll see it. I have to wonder if authorized refunds are based on my purchase history. I only buy digital on both consoles so I must look like one loyal, platform loving customer.

Dr Dogg

The Division is a real loot game, in the sense you're probably going into evacuated or dead peoples houses and looting their stuff. I've got so many cheap nylon sports jackets I could set up a scabby market stall.

Yeah, you smartypants, how would you define a frame that takes more than a second to move on to the next? :D

Seconds per frame. Duh! :p

https://twitter.com/Jonathan_Blow/status/693136916967878656

"It's not that depressing, but with the money from those missed sales we could do another game (costing million of dollars)."

Bah.

It's often said that there's no such thing as bad publicity... but one has to wonder if Blow's approach with claiming the 90% piracy rate of PC games and continuing to make statements about piracy and his games isn't actually doing harm in the long run. Sure, usually it's said that even bad publicity can be good publicity because it raises awareness of the thing in question, but in Blow's case, I wouldn't be surprised if people who had no interest in the game previously are now pirating it out of spite -- especially since he apparently released a fake version of braid to screw with pirates when that came out back in 2008.

tmarg

It's often said that there's no such thing as bad publicity... but one has to wonder if Blow's approach with claiming the 90% piracy rate of PC games and continuing to make statements about piracy and his games isn't actually doing harm in the long run.

I'm not going to pirate it, but it certainly doesn't make me want to support him.

Parsnip

3GB indeed.

Gonna try it later, thanks!

But I oh so don't want to lower anything, as it's so beautiful. :'(

I know how you feel.
I'm considering locking framerate to 30 and just pumping all the graphics as high as I can because it looks so nice.

Annubis

It's often said that there's no such thing as bad publicity... but one has to wonder if Blow's approach with claiming the 90% piracy rate of PC games and continuing to make statements about piracy and his games isn't actually doing harm in the long run. Sure, usually it's said that even bad publicity can be good publicity because it raises awareness of the thing in question, but in Blow's case, I wouldn't be surprised if people who had no interest in the game previously are now pirating it out of spite -- especially since he apparently released a fake version of braid to screw with pirates when that came out back in 2008.

Yeah... in a sense, I could totally see someone react to it as "Well, everyone's pirating it anyway, may as well do it myself" and "#1 pirated game? Finding a fast torrent will be a piece of cake."
=/

Tizoc

Another Rise of TR screenshot I took.
Doesn't seem like fiddling with any of the settings will improve FPS so I'm sticking to High Settings+Realhair On.

How can you kill what's already dead, buried, mourned, and decomposed?

The Vita is still fine in Japan and there's a bloody thread showing that there are 100+ games coming to it this year alone.
It's about as dead as PC gaming :V

Is there any evidence at all it is being that heavily pirated, other than the fact that Blow says it is?

I'm out of the loop when it comes to piracy (thanks Obama Gaben!), but when I went to take a look at how popular it was on torrent sites, it did not seem to be that heavily pirated. For example, on one nautical themed site there were two orders of magnitude more seeders for recent AAA titles, compared to The Witness. Which honestly doesn't surprise me that much; regardless of how awesome The Witness looks, it's still a niche title.

Ludens

Banned
I'm not going to pirate it, but it certainly doesn't make me want to support him.

I honestly thought Blow learned something from Braid release. With the Witness, we have again the exact, same scenario:

-Blow defending the price of his product
-Blow ranting about piracy

Now it's only missing something against Sony.
I'm not a dev, but I think if you want to release your games, you need to accept what the market is. And the market is also piracy.
Of course he can have his own opinion, but too often it's better say nothing than say something, and this whole piracy thing is just...dull?

I love trash and I want bombshell.

Bombshell looks really interesting, like a female version of Duke Nukem, so the queen of trash. It looks very good, but I'm expecting some reviews, because Steam ones are mixed. It's on my wishlist since the announcement anyway,

Obviously all of the pirates and people who wanted to buy it on PC would go out and get a PS4 for just The Witness.

What I find funny is way too often (now it's not the case of people in that thread) people blaming piracy do also game sharing on console, but that's not piracy (I mean, not via the share button on PS4, but sharing one account with games in).

the thing that kinda annoys me about blow's complaints is that he released a drm free version of the game day one.

I mean, he had to have known that was going to spread like wildfire out there, right?

This isn't me condoning piracy, btw, just wondering what blow's expectations were. If i produced an unprotected product, i would expect some level of piracy. I wonder if it's that he didn't expect this much piracy or that all piracy in general just really irks him

I think DRM free doesn't fit at all, here. Pirates will pirate even a DRM free version, often because it's easier to find someone with a Steam copy than a DRM one.
Releasing a DRM free version is a good move, the bad move is not releasing it on GOG, since GOG can push it way more than HumbleBundle did, giving the game more space on the front store, goodies etc.

the thing that kinda annoys me about blow's complaints is that he released a drm free version of the game day one.

I mean, he had to have known that was going to spread like wildfire out there, right?

This isn't me condoning piracy, btw, just wondering what blow's expectations were. If i produced an unprotected product, i would expect some level of piracy. I wonder if it's that he didn't expect this much piracy or that all piracy in general just really irks him

I totally get piracy being a big topic for devs, small indies in particular. And I'm always interested in what devs themselves think about that but the timing of Blow blows. When you got your game just released, your media presence ought to be of optimism, generating excitement and confidence in your game. Not mostly about some financial aspect, not so close to release at least. It kinda feels weird that a lot of "Witness talk" is about pricing (that's gamer's stupidity though) and Blow's piracy talks. He should for the beginning period only talk about interesting stuff during dev maybe, hinting at secrets, that kind of stuff.

Tizoc

Blow's The Witness isn't the only game that has DRM-free versions.
Consider Wadjet Eye's games and just about every game on GOG.com.

The Witness being pirated is unfortunate, but come Summer and Winter Seals and the game can make some good income for him.

tmarg

I think sales are just lower than he expected, and he's blaming the convenient boogieman.

Even I thought it would do better than 20k at launch, but this January has had extremely strong competition for some reason, and it is an extremely niche genre.

PR is definitely not Blow's strong suit.

Ucchedavāda;193685202 said:
I don't recall seeing it mentioned already, but it looks like all the previous "Build a bundle" are active again on the Humble store, namely 2K Games, Double Fine, Atari, Curve, and Daedalic:
https://www.humblebundle.com/store

A shame they didn't bring back the Devolver Bundle from last year. But it's understandable as that BYOB was probably a mistake (devaluing the games too much).

Ludens

Banned
The Witness being pirated is unfortunate, but come Summer and Winter Seals and the game can make some good income for him.

Well, this is already happening, 30k sold units in 3 days on PC only is actually very good considering this is a niche title and other factors are going on.
I would understand the rant if the game sold nothing, but it's not really the case.

Hektor

I think sales are just lower than he expected, and he's blaming the convenient boogieman.

Even I thought it would do better than 20k at launch, but this January has had extremely strong competition for some reason, and it is an extremely niche genre.

I would've bought it day 1 any other month. :3

But this month just already had so much other games, including really big titles like XCOm 2 and SFV beeing right around the corner.

While my case is ofc only anecdotal, i'm pretty sure i'm not the only one who decided to wait due to that.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom