• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

STEAM | January 2016 - Out of cash, out of cache

Status
Not open for further replies.
Edit: crap! 1st post on new page and broke the 20k barrier

2aN746W.gif

http://www.neogaf.com/forum/showthread.php?t=1177299

I don't get why this kind of spin is such a huge revelation to people on this forum. Every marketing firm does it.

When I'd send out a news release to outlets in one of my previous jobs, I'd intro my emails in the exact same way, give a rundown of the subject/talking points in the same fashion (though not in bullet-point form - two to three paragraphs max) and give them my contact info to follow up. Would usually send out 50-75 emails just with a normal PR blast.

That email Kotaku got is pretty lackluster compared to some of the marketing emails I got (and still get) on a regular basis, for different industries. And don't even get me started on advertorial placements.

I'm sure the true extent of "influencer" marketing would make everyone recoil.

It's gross.

dex3108

I am really surprised that The Division servers never went down today (as far as i know). And Ubisoft had to limit beta access due to the high demand.

Red Hood

Banned
I'm thinking of buying Deus Ex: Invisible War on GMG (€1,39 with the homepage voucher), should I? I love the first one and Human Revolution, but I held off playing IW because of the disappointing critical reception and even worse when it comes down to fan ratings.

Yay or nay? It goes without saying that my expectations are in check. It's not about money, but whether I should spend my 20-ish hours on it.

I'm sure the true extent of "influencer" marketing would make everyone recoil.

It's gross.

Someone here asked me yesterday about planning for R6 Siege and how a marketing company would react to it being positioned against two other major games. Most of the time, the firm or marketer in question has nothing to say about it - the release date/campaign is signed off by the head of the company, and the marketing firm just has to make do with what they have.

Even I've never seen the real extent of influencer marketing. Most firms draw up a series of talking points just like this email. You hammer home those points constantly to drill it into your contact that this is what you want conveyed. The problem with most influencer marketing is that it comes off as horribly corny and stilted.

I used to second-guess myself when I'd send out the umpteenth message that was regurgitating a press release and asking them to call me back, and I still get emails from some local firms in Toronto that read like an essay about why I'm supposed to care so much about music artist X who I've never heard of before.

In terms of YT, most shills are easy to see through. I actually stopped watching one channel when the player basically went on an all-expenses paid vacation with his friend (another YT personality) to promote Just Cause 3. Thankfully, a lot of this kind of promotion is very transparent, but people are surprised when they find out how deep its roots go.

I'm thinking of buying Deus Ex: Invisible War on GMG (€1,39 with the homepage voucher), should I? I love the first one and Human Revolution, but I held off playing IW because of the disappointing critical reception and even worse when it comes down to fan ratings.

Yay or nay? It goes without saying that my expectations are in check.

it's not very good, especially in a world where DXHR now exists. It was kinda tolerable before DXHR but there's no reason to go back.

It's simply not a very good game anymore, it was a mediocre game even when it came out

Nete

Yay or nay? It goes without saying that my expectations are in check. It's not about money, but whether I should spend my 20-ish hours on it.

Nay. Is truly awful.

I'm not really interested in it to be honest. Even if my backlog hadn't increased significantly during the last 60 days I probably still wouldn't have bought it. It's a $10 or less game for me.

Edit: crap! 1st post on new page and broke the 20k barrier
I will buy it, but not now and not at that price, I have RotTR and Dragon's Dogma on my hand, and XCOM 2 at the corner, I'd say my gaming schedule is pretty loaded for the month (even two!).

AHA-Lambda

I still don't understand what this gif is supposed to represent frankly

Yes, do it, it's a good game, the negative reaction it got is way overblown.

It's a big step down from the first but hell I've played far worse RPGs from last gen that got a great reception

Even I've never seen the real extent of it. Most firms draw up a series of talking points just like this email. You hammer home those points constantly to drill it into your contact that this is what you want conveyed. The problem with most influencer marketing is that it comes off as horribly corny and stilted.

I used to second-guess myself when I'd send out the umpteenth message that was regurgitating a press release and asking them to call me back, and I still get emails from some local firms in Toronto that read like an essay about why I'm supposed to care so much about music artist X who I've never heard of before.

In terms of YT, most shills are easy to see through. I actually stopped watching one channel when the player basically went on an all-expenses paid vacation with his friend (another YT personality) to promote Just Cause 3. Thankfully, a lot of this kind of promotion is very transparent, but people are surprised when they find out how deep its roots go.

I think a bigger problem is, that the audience of a lot of LPers are children/young teens nowadays and they dont actually know or have the capability to see through such scheme.

I am sure if someone like Pewdiepie would recommend Slaughtering Grounds because he got paid by the dev, the game would sell. Such people have a big influence on children/young teens nowadays even more than TV in the 90s, because the children see their LP idols as "friends".

zkylon

zkylewd
Well, my sister is a nurse and works the overnight shift and my best friend works nights as well. None of us play for very long or too much, so overlap is not a problem on days off.

I can see how family sharing can be completely useless to very active players, though.
yeah if your schedules align that's awesome but that's kind of rare

ppl normally work on morning-afternoon and play at night and so sharing is not very useful

Is it really? Sure, not being able to play the same game at the same time, scratch playing any game from one library is not optimal but when you have a small group of non-addicts who talk a tiny little bit with each other and buy games at a similar ratio, it sounds very good.

Anyhow, I wouldn't know for sure since I never done it.
this post is confoosing -__-

Really middling.

A review of it by LGR if you care.

And yet our very own PepsimanVsJoe gave it a thumbs up in his review.

It's definitely having that effect on me. It's one of my pet peeves, and it's definitely making me think it's more of a $5/bundle game than anything else. It also comes across as a stealth brag "look at me, little indie developer, having the most pirated game!" even though that isn't remotely true, everyone who looked into the numbers says it doesn't come close to being the most pirated.

Of course this could all be a brilliant ploy and the version seeded he put there and is full of some sort of sabotage-ware set to launch a world conquering botnet or something. He does sort of come across as a maniacal evil genius.

I didn't like Braid, so I had no trouble avoiding the hype train for The Witness... and I have no compelling urge to go get it right now outside of that, should I decide I'm interested... and with circus that Blow is creating regarding sales and piracy and everything else regarding this game, I'm more than happy to wait for it to be in a humble bundle where I can make sure 100% of my purchase goes to charity. :p

Can people just wait for the official NX reveal before making all these speculative threads?

No. This is GAF. Of course not.

Yes. "Bomba" can go die in the same fire that "meh" is scheduled to burn in.

Booo!!! Boo this man Boo!

Indeed.

I think a bigger problem is, that the audience of a lot of LPers are children/young teens nowadays and they dont actually know or have the capability to see through such scheme.

I am sure if someone like Pewdiepie would recommend Slaughtering Grounds because he got paid by the dev, the game would sell. Such people have a big influence on children/young teens nowadays even more than TV in the 90s, because the children see their LP idols as "friends".

Yeah, but the whole marketing paradigm has changed. It's far easier to get your message out via a streamer/LP'er who has 100,000+ subscribers and doesn't give a fuck about promoting it - because they're almost always about self-promotion in the first place anyway. Kids will eat it up because they don't know any better and have disposable income, just like the rise of big-budget ads in the 90s. They synergize extremely well with marketing firms who write vain copy.

At least in my neck of the woods, when the marketing firm sent you a list of talking points, you didn't have to follow it at all. Most press releases are thrown out immediately because they're poorly written or extremely fake.

jshackles

Gentlemen, we can rebuild it. We have the capability to make the world's first enhanced store. Steam will be that store. Better than it was before.
Even I've never seen the real extent of influencer marketing. Most firms draw up a series of talking points just like this email. You hammer home those points constantly to drill it into your contact that this is what you want conveyed. The problem with most influencer marketing is that it comes off as horribly corny and stilted.

I think the one thing that has shocked me the most about Enhanced Steam's success is that I get emails from people like this almost daily that want to me to "partner with their firm" or "take advantage of a lucrative marketing opportunity" which 100% of the time boils down to them wanting to pay me to include their advertising in the extension. I'm even starting to get a lot of these types of offers for Idle Master, in part because it's getting popular but I'm also getting stuff like "simply add our advertisement to the program and prevent the user from minimizing it while it's running and we'll pay you $x,xxx every x days for x clicks." I've even had several offers of tens of thousands of dollars to outright buy the extension and all future publishing rights. How about no?

I had toyed with the idea of adding opt-in advertising to Enhanced Steam (disabled by default, allowing users to enable it in the options if they want to help me support it) but I haven't been able to come across an advertising company that I trust to handle it correctly and provide relevant advertising that people would be interested in ie. games. Google adwords can't be injected using extensions in their TOS, and I actually think that's a good thing overall considering how shady people are with stuff like this.

I'm lucky, I guess, in that I'm not relying on Enhanced Steam and/or Idle Master to pay the bills or put food on the table. Because if I were, I'd be homeless and starving at this point.

the witness steam discussion now has a sub forum called "dumb internet comments" where any criticism of the game goes...

http://steamcommunity.com/app/210970/discussions/1/458607699610335118/

the guy literally explains his issues with some of the puzzles in an articulate manner but is sent into 'dumb internet comments'

jonathan blowhard

Reading this it seems he is complaining that he enters a right answer/right path but it doesnt work.
But he isnt backing up that claim.

Eila

the witness steam discussion now has a sub forum called "dumb internet comments" where any criticism of the game goes...

the guy literally explains his issues with some of the puzzles in an articulate manner but is sent into 'dumb internet comments'

jonathan blowhard

The drama around this game is weird to me. Were people very hyped for it or something?
It's probably because I didn't think much of Braid.

Ozium

Reading this it seems he is complaining that he enters a right answer/right path but it doesnt work.
But he isnt backing up that claim.

I don't know how the game works but it seems rather belittling to your community to move discussions to a sub forum labelled that... the guy might be incorrect in his summation but I don't think it's a particularly "dumb internet comment"

there's also a comment about how the game is not fit for ppl with color blindness that is also in there

seems antagonistic on the part of Blow or whoever runs his steam discussion page

edit: reading some of the other threads there are some pretty trollish topics in there (gamergate type shit) which are dumb internet comments but it just seems ridiculous overall

I don't know how the game works but it seems rather belittling to your community to move discussions to a sub forum labelled that... the guy might be incorrect in his summation but I don't think it's a particularly "dumb internet comment"

My first thought was that he's another Phil Fish. Has a penchant for self-controversy, loves to whine to the press, thinks people are against him if they speak negatively about the game.

XShagrath

yeah if your schedules align that's awesome but that's kind of rare

ppl normally work on morning-afternoon and play at night and so sharing is not very useful
I share with a friend in my own city, and have no problems. Sometimes our schedules line up, and sometimes they don't. He also has other hobbies or plays games on consoles, so I can jump in at pretty much any time. If I see him on and he's playing one of my games, then I'll just jump in and play one of his instead.

zkylon

zkylewd
so, are those psychonauts keys giftable or not?

also my friend made a pretty good the witness review

i like it a lot

I share with a friend in my own city, and have no problems. Sometimes our schedules line up, and sometimes they don't. He also has other hobbies or plays games on consoles, so I can jump in at pretty much any time. If I see him on and he's playing one of my games, then I'll just jump in and play one of his instead.
yeah i guess more ppl than i thought use it

i mean, it'd be 100% ok if it was per game, but locking yourself out of your account is pretty bad

Lingitiz

I had no idea Dragon's Dogma had this weird affinity system. It just felt totally random to me.

The story is mostly trash and poorly presented, but it does have some compelling aspects to it. Maybe with a bigger budget and better tech it could be decent.

remember Kemco game that was on greenlight - Asdivine Hearts
It has a store page now

releases.... stay tuned! ?

I hope that's not no cards and cheevos game, as Alphadia Genesis had both.

Are these good? I heard they are good as a mobile game, but yeah. Doesnt mean much. That S-E mobile JRPG wouldnt be really good on PC I think.

Vamphuntr

My first thought was that he's another Phil Fish. Has a penchant for self-controversy, loves to whine to the press, thinks people are against him if they speak negatively about the game.

He's just probably under a lot of stress. He blew a ton of money and put a huge amount of work on the game so he's probably a bit disappointed when people find glitch or stuff they don't like.

jonathan blowhard

If you start your post in that manner, you kinda deserve to be sent into the depths of the internet. The "no offense but...." method really does works as poorly IRL as it does in sitcoms.

Tizoc

so, are those psychonauts keys giftable or not?

also my friend made a pretty good the witness review

i like it a lot

yeah i guess more ppl than i thought use it

i mean, it'd be 100% ok if it was per game, but locking yourself out of your account is pretty bad

The Psychonauts keys ARE giftable, I just made a giveaway of my code a ew hours ago.

Arthea

Are these good? I heard they are good as a mobile game, but yeah. Doesnt mean much. That S-E mobile JRPG wouldnt be really good on PC I think.

I can say you one thing, whoever tags them casual is insane.
AG is rough, not forgiving or user friendly, as I don't game on mobile, I have not idea how it compares to other mobile games of this type.

Which SE mobile JRPG? I want them on PC, actually, even Final Fantasy Record Keeper and especially Chaos Rings and Dimensions.

I can say you one thing, whoever tags them casual is insane.
AG is rough, not forgiving or user friendly, as I don't game on mobile, I have not idea how it compares to other mobile games of this type.

Which SE mobile JRPG? I want them on PC, actually, even Final Fantasy Record Keeper and especially Chaos Rings and Dimensions.

Chaos Rings.
It might look like a console-JRPG, but its far too short and easy I think. All 3 episodes would be maybe 5-6 hours.

Ozium

If you start your post in that manner, you kinda deserve to be sent into the depths of the internet. The "no offense but...." method really does works as poorly IRL as it does in sitcoms.

except he didn't do that? His thesis statement is 'why I don't like this game' and before giving his reasons he mentions common complaints and dismisses them, because they are not the reason he dislikes it.

where does he start by saying "no offense, but" or any allusions to such a phrase?

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom