• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

STEAM | January 2017 - Time to get GAMEDUMPED

Status
Not open for further replies.

Rhaknar

The Steam equivalent of the drunk friend who keeps offering to pay your tab all night.
It gave people who were intimidated by rogue-like mechanics the opportunity to pretend they were in on the fad. It accomplished this entirely by putting the word rogue in the title, because any actual similarities to rogue were stripped out.

Besides that, it's a fairly mediocre action platformer that actually gains some significant pacing issues due to the poor implementation of faux-rogue mechanics.

"allowed people intimidated by rogue likes to get in on the fad"? Jesus Chris, get off your gigantic high horse dude.

Maybe people just liked the game because they thought it was fun with no second intentions.

MUnited83

For you.
Rogue Legacy was okay. Nice concept and a enjoyable gameplay loop, but somewhat rigid controls and messy hitboxes. It's not a GOTY but it isn't really bad either.

Mivey

I have to admit that I'm generally not a big fan of the roguelike gameplay loop, so that is probably part of it. It's not a hard rule though, I love FTL.

I think by making it "rogue-like" but not really, they introduced the issues of that type of design while not benefiting from its advantages.
I believe their intentions were to build on the ideas of roguelike/ roguelight games (whatever the precise nomenclature), but having a tangible element that does increase in time, over generations. Combined with the narrative idea of a noble family fighting to reclaim their honor, it worked rather nice, I thought. I mean, I didn't finish it, but I liked what I played (a few dozen "iterations" and one or two boss fights).

yuraya

Spelunky
Rogue Legacy
Risk of Rain

Those games are like the Mustard, Ketchup and Mayo of Steam. Everyone needs have them in their library and everyone needs to play them to completion. Your opinion is shit if you dislike any of them.

Rhaknar

The Steam equivalent of the drunk friend who keeps offering to pay your tab all night.
There's a new groupees $2 bundle btw, usual fodder with maybe a couple of standouts. Disposable Heroes looks ok.

Spelunky
Rogue Legacy
Risk of Rain

Those games are like the Mustard, Ketchup and Mayo of Steam. Everyone needs have them in their library and everyone needs to play them to completion. Your opinion is shit if you dislike any of them.

Spelunky is the only worthwhile game of them.

The concept of Rogue Legacy was fun, but animations, control and graphical design put me off it pretty quickly. But it still felt slightly more fun then Risk of Rain.

Spelunky
Rogue Legacy
Risk of Rain

I'll co-sign this with you.

Ozium

proper roguelikes/roguelites shouldn't require grinding though and you should theoretically be able to finish a run on your first game if you are skilled enough and depending on what items you are able to acquire to help you.. even in games like binding of isaac that have you unlock items, you unlock the availability of that item appearing not a counter you are constantlly ticking up and up and up and up...

like in spelunky the only grind is you actually becoming more skilled to progress further, and the fact that it scored lower than RL in that steamgaf goty list is ridiculous imo

Spelunky
Rogue Legacy
Risk of Rain

if you honestly think rogue legacy is comparable and can stand among the likes of spelunky and risk of rain then wow

spineduke

Unconfirmed Member
proper roguelikes/roguelites shouldn't require grinding though and you should theoretically be able to finish a run on your first game if you are skilled enough and depending on what items you are able to acquire to help you.. even in games like binding of isaac that have you unlock items, you unlock the availability of that item appearing not a counter you are constantlly ticking up and up and up and up...

like in spelunky the only grind is you actually becoming more skilled to progress further, and the fact that it scored lower than RL in that steamgaf goty list is ridiculous imo

RL is a lot more accessible - even if it features horrible grindy gameplay loops akin to a clicker game.

Volcynika

I wish the devs made Risk of Rain's multiplayer work without all the non-needed ports and setup. Annoyed they never came back to fix that to make it easier for everyone.

Aaron D.

On rouge-likes, I recently reinstalled Sunless Sea (yet again) and quickly bounced off it (yet again) specifically because of the rouge-like structure.

Whoever thought bolting rouge elements on top of a text-heavy, narrative game was a good idea should be fired. 'Cause you know, rereading the same stories over and over again while you try to scrape your way to new mid/late game content...yeah, that's some great game design.

Shame, 'cause the writing and world building in Sunless Sea is absolutely amazeballs otherwise.

#notbitter

yuraya

if you honestly think rogue legacy is comparable and can stand among the likes of spelunky and risk of rain then wow

Never said its better than those. I just list those 3 because those 3 pretty much cover the Rogue genre from all perspectives. They basically cover the needs of anyone who craves those type of games. RL is definitely on the lite side but its still an incredible game. It beating out Spelunky isn't surprising either in goty votes because Spelunky is really hard. There is just too much rng there so its not gonna be for everyone.

Nzyme32

Torment is suddenly one of my most anticipated games of 2017. I didnt realize it was far future scifi.

Playing Planescape for the first time right now. Still in the tutorial area

For someone that always knows about the gems... I'm surprised! You're in for a real treat. Hopefully you are also using the recommended mods listed in gogs forums.

Edit - bah, didn't see you in the other thread after I posted. Enjoy the original!

Aaron D.

For someone that always knows about the gems... I'm surprised! You're in for a real treat. Hopefully you are also using the recommended mods listed in gogs forums.

Indeed.

GOG PT Mod Guide is quite old, but it still works just fine. There's a lot of text there, but it's simple in practice.

Takes 15 minutes to bring the game up to modern standards (HD, widescreen, UI/bug fixes, etc.).

rtcn63

Has someone done an nvidia laughing guy with regards to the Switch prices and specs yet because they need to

I'm in
Inner Persephone
, finishing up Bioshock 2. No challenge whatsoever. That
Eleanor Lamb coop
is just unnecessary outside of cool-as-fuck factor.

Vlad

The initial Switch teaser had me pretty excited for it as it seemed like the least gimmicky Nintendo console in over a decade, but this presentation has made me SWITCH (read in the over-emphasized translator tone) my enthusiasm off. Touch screen that can't be used when docked, Arms looks great but I never want to play a waggle game ever again, $400 CAD MSRP, paid online play, and Mario Odyssey is giving me uncomfortable Sonic Adventure vibes. Woof.

That's what really stuck out to me. I get the impression that the city is the hub area of sorts, and it just looks so bland. What really stuck out to me in the trailer is that it seemed to be focused more on showing environments than any sort of interesting gameplay. Where's all the unique platforming challenges that we usually get in a Mario game? For the most part, it just seemed like Mario running around in open areas.

chronomac

This is slightly off-topic but is there a Chrome extension of any kind that will alert you to when an Amazon page updates? Like, say, from "Currently Available" to....available.

MUnited83

For you.
A poster over at Guru 3D managed to find a work-around for the resolution lock for Onechanbara Z2: Chaos. Impressive work.

Link.
akihiko-ive-been-waiting-for-this.png

Servizio

I don't really need a tag, but I figured I'd get one to make people jealous. Is it working?
You'd think after playing original X-COM and the first XCOM, I'd know better than to rush my soldiers blindly into danger to die horrible pointless deaths. But you'd be wrong.

XCOM2 is some hardcore shit.

This rogue-like discussion has made me realize how frequently I've had the "I should love this, but I don't" experience with so many of those games. Binding of Isaac, Rogue Legacy, Risk of Rain, Sunless Sea, even Spelunky and FTL. I want them to get their hooks in me but something about that early game slog followed by inevitable death always turns me off. I get bored and frustrated, especially when I seem to start dying earlier and earlier rather than later.

Jawmuncher

Speaking of Xcom 2, in starting to hit a wall. I guess I'm behind on upgrades I should be having. Along with having a crew. I currently have like my whole team wounded. The management part of Xcom 2 is what gets me the most. Still have been having fun though.

Knurek

header.jpg

Game 4 of the year done.
Worse than The Room in just about every aspect. And that second to last chapter... WTH?
Still a decent HOPA. Just... nowhere near as good as the first one.

Speaking of Xcom 2, in starting to hit a wall. I guess I'm behind on upgrades I should be having. Along with having a crew. I currently have like my whole team wounded. The management part of Xcom 2 is what gets me the most. Still have been having fun though.
Haven't played XCOM 2 yet, but hope you have a couple ace snipers in your team if it's like XCOM 1

patapuf

There's a building that doubles the recovery speed if you struggle with the wound times.

I tried to have a 10-12 decent soldiers but replacing that max level unit is pretty hard even if you do. At least early.

Nzyme32

You'd think after playing original X-COM and the first XCOM, I'd know better than to rush my soldiers blindly into danger to die horrible pointless deaths. But you'd be wrong.

XCOM2 is some hardcore shit.

This rogue-like discussion has made me realize how frequently I've had the "I should love this, but I don't" experience with so many of those games. Binding of Isaac, Rogue Legacy, Risk of Rain, Sunless Sea, even Spelunky and FTL. I want them to get their hooks in me but something about that early game slog followed by inevitable death always turns me off. I get bored and frustrated, especially when I seem to start dying earlier and earlier rather than later.

For my first run of xcom2 I went for ironman mode, and it makes the game so much more intense. Just the knowledge that every move is set in stone, makes everything that much more engaging, challenging, cathartic etc. I'm one of those people that would usual save scum if I make a collosal mistake, but ironman modes like this are ideal for me and certainly make everything more frantic as you go on

BARROW HILL CURSE OF THE ANCIENT CIRCLE STEAM: R0I9R-EJLQG-6ZAQW
CORPORATE LIFESTYLE SIMULATOR STEAM: BFWJ5-GCC7V-44942
HUNTSMAN THE ORPHANAGE STEAM: FVJF2-RLMPB-L9MY2
ORBURON STEAM: V4FBA-WYG7T-QDF9Q
PLITH STEAM: 0GW74-ARLNK-9NAPF
SUPER HOP N BOP ULTRA STEAM: HYC3R-CVCPB-IRMT7
THE CHAOS ENGINE STEAM: 4WYBG-IYM8T-4IBLK
THREE DEAD ZED STEAM: 3WMLC-6FQ4Y-Q399L
TIDALIS STEAM: TA32F-H7K7V-ZZHDW

Nillansan

I dunno man, at least from that speed run u just need to be careful how u play, u dont need to grind a lot long as u focus on specific stats. I mean if one can beat a game like this in under 30 minutes the controls cant be that bad

I just checked to see if I had spare key I could give you, but no dice. The game demands that you perform a number of platforming maneuvers that just aren't supported by the unresponsive and floaty ass controls. I can't imagine the amount of practice and self loathing it must take to do a complete, no upgrade run in 30 minutes.

Tizoc

I just checked to see if I had spare key I could give you, but no dice. The game demands that you perform a number of platforming maneuvers that just aren't supported by the unresponsive and floaty ass controls. I can't imagine the amount of practice and self loathing it must take to do a complete, no upgrade run in 30 minutes.

Or maybe the people who managed to be able to beat it in under 30 minutes weren't all turned off by finding the best possible way to beat the game :p

spineduke

Unconfirmed Member
Or maybe the people who managed to be able to beat it in under 30 minutes weren't all turned off by finding the best possible way to beat the game :p

I tried looking for a spare key as well - part of me was like fuck it, you should experience it to understand.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom