• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

STEAM | January 2017 - Time to get GAMEDUMPED

Status
Not open for further replies.

rtcn63

Arms really looks like a Steam F2P game. From the graphics, character designs, to character names. As much as I'd like a Monkey D. Luffy simulator, it just doesn't look worth $60. But hey, if it becomes the next Splatoon...

I was playing Command and Conquer 3: Tiberium Wars for the first time and actually enjoying it, but Alexandria mission in GDI campaign is some ridiculous bullshit. I finished previous missions with no issues, but Alexandria is impossible even on easy difficulty, NOD doing zerg rush and destroying my base no matter what. Tried to build defense, different types of unites, even second construction line, nothing works, base building and unites construction time is too slow. After 6 tries to finish this mission, i said "fuck it" and deleted game from HDD. That 52 games per year challenge could be more difficult than i thought before, since i need to actually finish games, not just try to play as much as i enjoy them and drop it if something not right.

rtcn63

As others have mentioned, the portable aspect could very well mean that every game (barring the mini-game collections) has optional standard controls. Which is compelling... if the system ever hits $200 and the games $30.

rtcn63

I loved the Rogue Legacy! Screw you guys! I also dont like Overwatch or Dota though so...people have different tastes?

My general rule is that if you can intelligently (objectively for the most part) defend why you think a game is good or bad, especially compared to others, you're opinion is not invalid.

(I'm not referring to you specifically)

You'd think after playing original X-COM and the first XCOM, I'd know better than to rush my soldiers blindly into danger to die horrible pointless deaths. But you'd be wrong.

XCOM2 is some hardcore shit.

I found being aggressive worked better in Xcom 2 than it did in Xcom Enemy unknown/within which rewarded being cautious.

My general rule is that if you can intelligently (objectively for the most part) defend why you think a game is good or bad, especially compared to others, you're opinion is not invalid.

(I'm not referring to you specifically)

What if the reason is "its fun" or "entertaining"? I watch A LOT of bad tv. CW shows or Castle or whatever just to pass the time. These are horrible shows but they pass the time and can be entertaining at times. Sometimes they are laughably bad but if you enjoy it, who cares. Same goes with games, movies and music. (although music less so because some music is just really bad)

rtcn63

What if the reason is "its fun" or "entertaining"? I watch A LOT of bad tv. CW shows or Castle or whatever just to pass the time. These are horrible shows but they pass the time and can be entertaining at times. Sometimes they are laughably bad but if you enjoy it, who cares. Same goes with games, movies and music. (although music less so because some music is just really bad)

"It's fun" always has an explanation behind it. Even if its something like "I mostly watch TV after work with a beer in my hand and just want to watch iffy people making asses of themselves". (I watch Top Chef)

Make your argument. If you don't sound like a total fool, where you allow your subjectivity to overtake what is being portrayed as a mostly objective opinion (often seen in professional reviews) or you're just subconsciously parroting bullshit, then the world will listen.

Tizoc

I tried looking for a spare key as well - part of me was like fuck it, you should experience it to understand.

It is on sale over at HB, so I'll grab it before the sale ends. It had been that cheap for the past sales and hasn't been in many bundles in quite some time.
I have been in the 'gotta experience it for myself' mood for some time now.
part of the reason I played TR '13 and am aiming to replay the UC series to give them better/proper impressions.

Rhaknar

The Steam equivalent of the drunk friend who keeps offering to pay your tab all night.
Rise Shine is out, anyone take the plunge? it sure looks great at least

Rise Shine is out, anyone take the plunge? it sure looks great at least

I wrote a review.

http://www.cubed3.com/review/3452/1/rise-and-shine-pc.html

A strong case can be made for Rise & Shine. It boasts fantastic visuals, tons of references that appeal to the older crowd, and a more thoughtful approach to running and gunning. Unfortunately, it never realises its full potential. There are numerous intriguing elements, such as destructible cover or contending with adversaries while platforming. Simply put: they don't get enough attention. If a few of the less interesting segments were excised or moved to optional modes, and in their place were stages designed with a more advanced skillset in mind, then the campaign could be tighter and more complex. All told, it's still a worthwhile venture for shoot 'em up fans seeking a change of pace.

morningbus

Serious Sam is a wicked gahbidge series for chowdaheads.
Rogue Legacy was somewhat overhyped in its time. I don't really understand why.

It came out at a time that was much, much friendlier to indie games.

It's crazy how the landscape has changed is the last 3 to 4 years.

Lain

I saw the Puyo Puyo Tetris overseas release thread and for a second, irrationally, I got excited, thinking there might have been a PC release too in the cards.

data

I saw the Puyo Puyo Tetris overseas release thread and for a second, irrationally, I got excited, thinking there might have been a PC release too in the cards.

Man I hope the reason they're taking so long with their pc port is because puyo hasn't released yet

gelf

Count me as someone who also loved Rogue Legacy. Just as much as Spelunky really. Only thing I didn't like where those optional bosses but they were easy to skip.

Same. Missed opportunity for Sega but I'm guessing it has something to do with Ubisoft's contract with Tetris Co. since PS4 isn't even getting a digital purchase in the West.

yuraya

I should concider reading about Switch news.

superman-dad-death-reaction-Kevin-Costner-1387241798Q.gif

Vazra

irresponsible vagina leak
Switch will flop like Wii U. The launch lineup looks weak and there is not enough interesting things to make you get it year 1.

Wok

The landscape has not changed that much. Fast forward in 2020 and people will be (rightly so) complaining about Pony Island's gameplay being cumbersome and shallow for the sake of a few jokes in the final battle. However, in 2017, it might appear in the GOTY list.

Ganado

1 word, SEGA. I really don't know why SEGA America or SEGA Japan doesn't understand that PC is a viable platform.

dave is ok

aztek is ok
I'm noticing a 2160 resolution option on most of my games now on my 1080p monitor. Is it Geforce Experience adding an downsampling option or are the games themselves doing it? I forget what games I've noticed it on now but maybe Rocket League and CS:GO

Kaleinc

Banned
I'm noticing a 2160 resolution option on most of my games now on my 1080p monitor. Is it Geforce Experience adding an downsampling option or are the games themselves doing it? I forget what games I've noticed it on now but maybe Rocket League and CS:GO
Probably this

7RmUMcn.png

Yeah, the pendulum sure has swung with this. The stance seems to be "assume it's bundle trash until proven otherwise."

Meanwhile, hype trains are on the rise for AAA games that invariably disappoint.

morningbus

Serious Sam is a wicked gahbidge series for chowdaheads.
The landscape has not changed that much. Fast forward in 2020 and people will be (rightly so) complaining about Pony Island's gameplay being cumbersome and shallow for the sake of a few jokes in the final battle. However, in 2017, it might appear in the GOTY list.

My point isn't directed at the quality of the game and how it holds up against the passage of time.

I argue that Rogue Legacy, if released now, would simply be ignored like the vast majority of indie games released. The climate they originally released in was kinder and more eager to find the next gem. A combination of increased saturation and cynicism has changed the landscape dramatically.

Jawmuncher

My point isn't directed at the quality of the game and how it holds up against the passage of time.

I argue that Rogue Legacy, if released now, would simply be ignored like the vast majority of indie games released. The climate they originally released in was kinder and more eager to find the next gem. A combination of increased saturation and cynicism has changed the landscape dramatically.

Completely agree. It takes a lot more to stick out in the indie space now.

FLD

Welp, feel free to announce the port of Dragon Quest Builders anytime, S-E. Soon would be good. Seriously, I'm waiting...

TN6oHZi.png

Clearing the last few achievements I was still missing was much less time consuming than I expected it to be. Probably should've done it a while ago. And it didn't really scratch the itch, so now I really wish I could jump right into Builders or Heroes II. :/

Lomax

On rouge-likes, I recently reinstalled Sunless Sea (yet again) and quickly bounced off it (yet again) specifically because of the rouge-like structure.

Whoever thought bolting rouge elements on top of a text-heavy, narrative game was a good idea should be fired. 'Cause you know, rereading the same stories over and over again while you try to scrape your way to new mid/late game content...yeah, that's some great game design.

Shame, 'cause the writing and world building in Sunless Sea is absolutely amazeballs otherwise.

#notbitter

Honestly you're being too aggressive then. By my third time through I didn't die, combat is easy to avoid (and should be avoided until you gear up a lot). It's only "Roguelike" in terms of being unforgiving, but play conservative and enjoy the atmosphere. Also, most of the story chains have multiple directions they can go, just do a different one. Yeah, the gameplay loop can be a bit repetitive, but if you're dying over and over you're doing it wrong. As much as I hate the comparison, it's much more "Dark Souls" like than Roguelike.

Eh, maybe. Rogue Legacy had a demo that got a lot of attention (especially on RPS) and created a lot of buzz because it was fun. And shockingly enough, a lot of us enjoy that gameplay loop because we know we'll die anyway and like getting something to show for it. I'll be the first to admit Spelunky is a better game, but I spent far less time playing it because unless you dedicate regular time to it and develop your skills at playing significantly, progress is slow and frustrating and completely unrewarding. Whereas with Rogue Legacy I could go back right now years later and my progress is still there.

However, I'm sure if Rogue Legacy had released after Spelunky on steam instead of before, it probably would have gotten a lot more "just play Spelunky" type of response.

rtcn63

Finished Bioshock 2.
A burial at sea. For the plush big daddy.

I have never played Minerva's Den because the original release crashed so much. Here's hoping for better.

zkylon

zkylewd
i get two week vacations starting monday, what's a good game (or couple good games) to play in that time?

i'm kind of considering booting up persona 4 for the first time

i've been putting it off for years because i don't want to "waste it" but since 5 is just around the corner it might be a good time to

also was thinking doing either tyranny or the age of decadence or the eternity dlc, since those also seem like long rpgs that might be good to tackle in my vacations

tho maybe i should just visit my wii u friend and force him to rip me some wii u games to play on emulator
reposting this cos i would like to get some input and it got buried under the switch stuff :>

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom