• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

STEAM | January 2017 - Time to get GAMEDUMPED

Status
Not open for further replies.

zkylon

zkylewd
On rouge-likes, I recently reinstalled Sunless Sea (yet again) and quickly bounced off it (yet again) specifically because of the rouge-like structure.

Whoever thought bolting rouge elements on top of a text-heavy, narrative game was a good idea should be fired. 'Cause you know, rereading the same stories over and over again while you try to scrape your way to new mid/late game content...yeah, that's some great game design.

Shame, 'cause the writing and world building in Sunless Sea is absolutely amazeballs otherwise.

#notbitter
i felt like the roguelike elements lead to some interesting dynamic storytelling, so i didn't mind

i've had one character die without ever meeting his son, and i thought that was a pretty cool thing, and i've had other characters have to resort to cannibalism and shit to survive, so idk, i think it's cool

i never "beat it" cos i got what i wanted from it from just playing it a bunch

it's similar to darkest dungeon, i really enjoy playing with their systems but i don't really intend to put in the work to become good enough to finish em

Rhaknar

The Steam equivalent of the drunk friend who keeps offering to pay your tab all night.
so do you reckon Brigmore Witches ending reads from your own Dishonored ending to change it up? To be fair, I cant remember exactly what I did, but im pretty sure I
killed Daud because I killed everyone with Corvo, and sure enough, Corvo kills Daud
at the end of my Witches run.

But then again, I think I played Dishonored on my old computer, not this one, so I shouldnt have the save, unless it pulls from the clowd? /shrug

edit: also this Dishonored uninstall had a long time coming, damn. My previous hdd space ;_;

Anno

so do you reckon Brigmore Witches ending reads from your own Dishonored ending to change it up? To be fair, I cant remember exactly what I did, but im pretty sure I
killed Daud because I killed everyone with Corvo, and sure enough, Corvo kills Daud
at the end of my Witches run.

But then again, I think I played Dishonored on my old computer, not this one, so I shouldnt have the save, unless it pulls from the clowd? /shrug

I think it's based off of
your current chaos level. Were you on high chaos when you finished?

MUnited83

For you.
So, Switch's "free" classic game with their subscription can only be played for one month and then it's removed...

... Is this company just trying to make the absolute worst decisions ever or what? Are they trying to make it a bomba on purpose?

So, Switch's "free" classic game with their subscription can only be played for one month and then it's removed...

... Is this company just trying to make the absolute worst decisions ever or what? Are they trying to make it a bomba injetora purpose?

On the bright side, just one more step until they become a software only company and Nintendo games pop up on Steam...probly all filled with Denuvo.

Accoun

Just tried the Berseria demo for like 5 minutes.

- The camera sensitivity is CRAZY. My 3 mouse presets are 400-800 DPI and even the lowest one seems too much for me. And there seems not to be any setting to control that.
- Changed a few graphics settings and went to try how it runs. Came back to see if there's a setting for the camera. None of the keys to control menus work. Except Enter, but that one doesn't allow me to leave the settings. Even after restarting the game.

Haven't yet tried actual gameplay, but wow. Anyone had the problem?

zkylon

zkylewd
the chaos meter in dishonored is such a trash idea when they use it for narrative

for gameplay purposes it's great feedback, you kill lots of people, you get more rats, feels pretty logical and rewarding, even, when you see the little ripples created by your actions

but for story, it just feels terrible, you get locked into a "bad ending" for engaging with its systems in the most fun and satisfying way

choking a dude out is not as fun as stabbing them in the eye

it just isn't

and disho2 didn't make this better by creating non lethal versions of all your lethal gadgets. a stun mine is not as fun as a deathly shreddy trap that turns guards into bloody confetti when they step on it

i really dislike the idea of non-lethal as a symmetrical alternative to lethal, i feel that developers that do that miss the point entirely

like, i enjoy non-lethal playthroughs only if what they offer is meaningfully different from what my lethal playthrough would be like. i enjoyed not killing zombies in dying light cos it forced me to use distractions and parkour and planning more in a way that mowing them down wouldn't

but if they had just given me a rubber pipe to replace my lead pipe with and instead of killing them it would knock them unconscious they just made those two options the same

it's super lame and i was really hoping dishonored 2 would get it

Lunaniem

... Is this company just trying to make the absolute worst decisions ever or what? Are they trying to make it a bomba injetora purpose?

Starting with this after the Wii U, I'm convinced Nintendo is trying to find a way to get out of the hardware business.

Ganado

Just tried the Berseria demo for like 5 minutes.

- The camera sensitivity is CRAZY. My 3 mouse presets are 400-800 DPI and even the lowest one seems too much for me. And there seems not to be any setting to control that.
- Changed a few graphics settings and went to try how it runs. Came back to see if there's a setting for the camera. None of the keys to control menus work. Except Enter, but that one doesn't allow me to leave the settings. Even after restarting the game.

Haven't yet tried actual gameplay, but wow. Anyone had the problem?

It actually worked great for me w 2400DPI. I did test with controller first and kept it plugged in when testing kb+m though, so that might've done something?

Anno

the chaos meter in dishonored is such a trash idea when they use it for narrative

for gameplay purposes it's great feedback, you kill lots of people, you get more rats, feels pretty logical and rewarding, even, when you see the little ripples created by your actions

but for story, it just feels terrible, you get locked into a "bad ending" for engaging with its systems in the most fun and satisfying way

choking a dude out is not as fun as stabbing them in the eye

it just isn't

and disho2 didn't make this better by creating non lethal versions of all your lethal gadgets. a stun mine is not as fun as a deathly shreddy trap that turns guards into bloody confetti when they step on it

i really dislike the idea of non-lethal as a symmetrical alternative to lethal, i feel that developers that do that miss the point entirely

like, i enjoy non-lethal playthroughs only if what they offer is meaningfully different from what my lethal playthrough would be like. i enjoyed not killing zombies in dying light cos it forced me to use distractions and parkour and planning more in a way that mowing them down wouldn't

but if they had just given me a rubber pipe to replace my lead pipe with and instead of killing them it would knock them unconscious they just made those two options the same

it's super lame and i was really hoping dishonored 2 would get it

Hmmm Ive found non-lethal assault to be fun in DH2. It's fun to drop on a guy and slam his head into the ground, parry someone else, shove them to the ground and curb-stomp them then Far Reach a bottle into your hand and crack it over a dudes head.

zkylon

zkylewd
Hmmm Ive found non-lethal assault to be fun in DH2. It's fun to drop on a guy and slam his head into the ground, parry someone else, shove them to the ground and curb-stomp them then Far Reach a bottle into your hand and crack it over a dudes head.
i just feel like non-lethal should be represented in games as avoiding direct interaction with enemies, while lethal is all about directly interacting (that's my euphemism for murder) with them

so non-lethal should be about distractions and hiding and turning invisible and shit

lethal should be about sliding and slicing and shooting and dropping a dead body on someone's face and all that

i feel like non lethal you should feel like a master thief and lethal you should feel like a monster toying with your prey

Tizoc

That reminds me...
Activision published a Snoopy video game but that one never released on PC.

Really hope Crash Trilogy releases on Steam too.
Speaking of crash,
Crash 2 100% speedrun is being played on AGDQ atm-
https://www.twitch.tv/gamesdonequick
...and of course they are playing the PAL ver.

I think.

... Is this company just trying to make the absolute worst decisions ever or what? Are they trying to make it a bomba on purpose?

It's like they're trying to sabotage their own launch. Which would explain the arguable 3rd party support. I mean, how can anyone at NoA keep a straight smile when Todd comes to them, claiming "Remember 2011 Skyrim ? We're making a remaster in late 2016. We're bringing the 2011 one to your platform... not at launch... one year later the remaster... at full price" or Capcom with that USFII HD game ha ha ha.

rtcn63

Nintendo has basically accepted that they'll never be competitive with Sony and MS, and are content with fleecing what's left of their current hardcore fanbase. These people bought amiibos en masse, they'll buy $70 controllers and $50 mini-game collections where you don't even look at the fucking screen. Shit I'm playing the Switch right by licking my TV remote.

It's like they're trying to sabotage their own launch. Which would explain the arguable 3rd party support. I mean, how can anyone at NoA keep a straight smile when Todd comes to them, claiming "Remember 2011 Skyrim ? We're making a remaster in late 2016. We're bringing the 2011 one to your platform... not at launch... one year later the remaster... at full price" or Capcom with that USFII HD game ha ha ha.

Also it doesnt appear to be a remaster, if anything its the opposite, a de-master? Downgraded from original.

That being said I will buy a Switch when a NEW smash bros is released on it.

Anno

i just feel like non-lethal should be represented in games as avoiding direct interaction with enemies, while lethal is all about directly interacting (that's my euphemism for murder) with them

so non-lethal should be about distractions and hiding and turning invisible and shit

lethal should be about sliding and slicing and shooting and dropping a dead body on someone's face and all that

i feel like non lethal you should feel like a master thief and lethal you should feel like a monster toying with your prey

Oh, yeah I can see that. I guess there aren't a ton of powers meant to be used nonlethally that also don't interact directly with enemies. You either have to go no powers and rely on physical limitations or play some kind of omnipotent time wizard.

Tizoc

Also it doesnt appear to be a remaster, if anything its the opposite, a de-master? Downgraded from original.

That being said I will buy a Switch when a NEW smash bros is released on it.

You know how they released an updated NDS and 3DS? That's my stance with the Switch. Gonna wait for the 'New Switch'.
if we wever get one.

r3n4ud

Nintendo has basically accepted that they'll never be competitive with Sony and MS, and are content with fleecing what's left of their current hardcore fanbase. These people bought amiibos en masse, they'll buy $70 controllers and $50 mini-game collections where you don't even look at the fucking screen. Shit I'm playing the Switch right by licking my TV remote.
Hate that I agree. I really hope this is the last console they make.

I love Nintendo as much as the next guy but what they're doing is fucking ridiculous.

I haven't played the game yet.

You have 3 days to rectify that! Heck I knew the game was something special while I was playing through the tutorial and discovered a rather funny way to get rid of the target, and then realized that was only one of several ways I could have done it.

Tizoc

You have 3 days to rectify that! Heck I knew the game was something special while I was playing through the tutorial and discovered a rather funny way to get rid of the target, and then realized that was only one of several ways I could have done it.

Let me know when the Season 1 pass is $15 and I'll aim to start it :p
From now on I only buy games I know I will play soon, I am clearing my backlog towards the 50 game a year challenge and I already have the games I aim to play sorted out.
I'm sure the game will appear in the top 10 at least.
Can't say the same about my own Steam GotY though ;P

Oscar

Pit People is finally out (on early access)!

The Behemoth is one of my favorite devs (Alien Hominid, Castle Crashers, Battleblock Theater).

Can't wait to sink my teeth in this one tonight.

MUnited83

For you.
Let me know when the Season 1 pass is $15 and I'll aim to start it :p
From now on I only buy games I know I will play soon, I am clearing my backlog towards the 50 game a year challenge and I already have the games I aim to play sorted out.
I'm sure the game will appear in the top 10 at least.
Can't say the same about my own Steam GotY though ;P
The game was 15$ like 4 or 5 times already 😐

I tried to play Silent Hunter 4: Wolves of the Pacific, and this one of the most confusing games i've ever played in my life. "Tutorial" didn't explained shit, first person view seems useless and unnecessary, graphics are bad even for 2007 game. Oh, and steam overlay is not working either, so i had to use good old alt+tab to search in discussions how the hell i suppose to play in this thing. Played around 15 minutes and then gave up

neoemonk

Nintendo always seems like one step forward, two steps back. PC gaming just seems to get better by not changing and letting everything else get worse by comparison.

I'm a bit of Nintendo freak as well, but their online service is a disappointment and the games lineup seems barren right now.

Sniper Ghost Warrior Trilogy (no #3) is a buck at Bundlestars. I can't believe they even dropped it from the $2 it was last time.

Trilogy includes:
Sniper Art of Victory
Sniper: Ghost Warrior
Sniper Ghost Warrior 2
Sniper: Ghost Warrior – Map Pack
Sniper: Ghost Warrior – Second Strike Pack
Sniper Ghost Warrior 2: Digital Extras
Sniper Ghost Warrior 2: Multiplayer Expansion Pack
Sniper Ghost Warrior 2: Soundtrack

Finished Bioshock 2.
A burial at sea. For the plush big daddy.

I have never played Minerva's Den because the original release crashed so much. Here's hoping for better.

I felt 1 overstayed its welcome. 2 was better mechanically but never impressed me. Minerva's Den was okay but just another narrative rehash.

Call me crazy but: 1st half of 1 >> Infinite >> MD >> rest of 1 >> 2

On the bright side, just one more step until they become a software only company and Nintendo games pop up on Steam...probly all filled with Denuvo.

You will take Nintendo's shitty PC service with paid online and proprietary DRM and like it.

Backlogger

Nintendo always seems like one step forward, two steps back. PC gaming just seems to get better by not changing and letting everything else get worse by comparison.

I'm a bit of Nintendo freak as well, but their online service is a disappointment and the games lineup seems barren right now.

Yeah, I was all set on buying a Switch to play the new Zelda. I skipped the Wii U. After seeing the current line-up and cost(s) I started looking at Wii U prices this morning.

I'll just wait until the Fall to get a Switch maybe. See if they create any bundle deals and/or have a lower price for the holidays.

r3n4ud

Yeah, I was all set on buying a Switch to play the new Zelda. I skipped the Wii U. After seeing the current line-up and cost(s) I started looking at Wii U prices this morning.

I'll just wait until the Fall to get a Switch maybe. see if they create any bundle deals are have a lower price for the holidays.
They'll have a Mario bundle, which is when I'll jump in.

neoemonk

I'll just wait until the Fall to get a Switch maybe. see if they create any bundle deals are have a lower price for the holidays.

If my massive backlog has taught me anything it's that you can have a lot of fun with older games as well so I don't think there's any harm in waiting. I'll get Zelda on the Wii U, but I will probably break when Xenoblade comes out.

Rhaknar

The Steam equivalent of the drunk friend who keeps offering to pay your tab all night.
Played a bit of Jotun, up to and including the first boss, really good first impression. The sense of scale is great, which isnt always easy for a 2d game, and that boss sure was great looking.

Their next game is on Steam (with a supposed July release) and I never heard about it, Sundered, still 2d hand drawn, but side scrolling this time.

Apparently they just announced they are going on Kickstarter, but still maintain the game will come out in the summer, and that the kickstarter is about polish, feedback and making Sundered the best it can be... thats a bit weird, that's what betas are for, not crowdfunding campaigns. Still, it sure looks pretty, which is no surprise considering Jotun.

gngf123

I'm tempted but i believe in steam and ep 1 discount in a bundle

Believe in Steam?

This is a steam key, and Steam is beaten in discounts all the time.

Also, episode 1 is free anyway, no reason why they would do a bundle discount for owners of it.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom