• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

STEAM | January 2017 - Time to get GAMEDUMPED

Status
Not open for further replies.

Grief.exe

Does GTAV have rocket cars in the base game?

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=htSepT-t19M

Not even close.

https://en.m.wikipedia.org/wiki/Shield_Portable
Power: 7350 mAh (28.8 W·h)

This may be seen as moving the goalposts, but I was referring to the console manufacturers.

So hyped for Breath of the Wild, I got my buddy to lend his Twilight Princess HD copy to me. Can't wait to play my first Zelda game tonight :)

One of the worst places to dive into the series actually.

Eila

I think you'll be fine. Every new Zelda game is very divisive mostly because of excessive handholding, so if it doesn't click be sure to check the older ones eventually. Really the only ones I didn't care for at all are the DS games, and even then I beat the first one. The second one I never played because of the shit controls and it just felt overly gimmicky.

Mutagenic

Permanent Junior Member
Still deciding if I want WD2 before the sale ends. Maybe my lukewarm desire to buy it should be enough to convince me to wait for a sub-$30 price.

Parsnip

What a shame.

One of the worst places to dive into the series actually.
Nah, Twilight Princess is one of the 2 best 3D Zelda games I think, up there with Wind Waker. As long as you don't play the Wii version.
So either GC original or the new HD version, and you are good to go.
Best 2D Zelda is obviously Link to the Past which you should also play.

Tizoc

How is the fighting system in Yakuza? Is it actually pretty deep because from trailers it looks batshit crazy in a good way. Maybe I'll get both if I can find a good price on a RE7 key.
Eunno about depth but it is a simple system to pick up and play.
You do unlock more skills to flashly take down mobs etc
Yakuza games have LOTS of side content like playing arcade, bowling, gambling and other activities

Endruen

Wow.

Curious about what your series ranking looks like.

Do people really think Twilight Princess is low tier? It has a nice setting, the best partner ever and a great artstyle. Personally, I believe it's Ocarina of Time improved.
Also, you can turn into a FUCKING WOLF!!!

(I won't enter into much details, but having yet to play Wind Waker, Majora's Mask and Skyward Sword, my top 5 would be: 1- Twilight Princess, 2- Ocarina of Time, 3- Oracle of Ages, 4- Minish Cap, 5- A Link Between Worlds).

jshackles

Gentlemen, we can rebuild it. We have the capability to make the world's first enhanced store. Steam will be that store. Better than it was before.
There isn't much time left to vote for this year's SteamGAF GOTY!

t1484611200z4.png

I currently have ballots from the following 122 voters:
A Fish Aficionado, Aaron D., AbundantChoice, Admodieus, Adnor, AHA-Lambda, Alex_CWB, Amzin, Anno, Anteater, Arthea, Ascheroth, Atraveller, Axass, Baron von Loathsome, Baron_Calamity, BernardoOne, Bonfires Down, CecilRousso, Crimsonclaw111, ctw0e, cyba89, d00d3n, darkwing-buck, def ault, Dessart, dex3108, diabolusinmusica, DodgeDusk, Dongs Macabre, dot, Dr Dogg, Dragon1893, Durante, Echoplx, electroflame, fantomena, fenners, FLD, Flips360, Funyarinpa, Garmonbozia, Grief.exe, hannes, hardcastlemccormick, Hektor, illusionary, InquisitorAles, iosefe, Iron Badger, JarrodL, Jawmuncher, jshackles, Khronico, KingKong, Knurek, Kudo, Kurt Russell, Lain, Large Professor, laserlaser, Last Baron, Leafhopper, Locust, Miletius, Mivey, Monooboe, More_Badass, Nabs, NeoRaider, Nete, Nillansan, Nzyme32, Oreoleo, Orgen, Ozium, PandaPedinte, pantsattack, Parsnip, PaulSane, Phinor, QFNS, Rayge, Rhaknar, rickyson1, Roboleon, Rockin' Ranger, Sarcasm, SatelliteOfLove, ScreamingTrees, septicore, SilentMatthew, Sinatar, spinalscratch, spindoctor, Spirited, sprinkles, Stallion Free, Stumpokapow, Teggy, Tektonic, texhnolyze, The Dear Leader, the_firewithin, The_Super_Inframan, TheLetdown, thesaucetastic, ThirtyFour, Tizoc, tuxfool, Ucchedavāda, Uraizen, Uzzy, Vazra, vermadas, Wo33er, Wok, xezuru, Yakkue, yuraya, Zero-Crescent, zkylon

If your name is listed here, it means your ballot has been counted. Everyone else, get over the OP for official rules and entry instructions.

As the voting is drawing to a close soon, I figured I would go over some of the specifics. The awards ceremony will be done in this thread sometime around March at 7:00pm Monday Pacific time (three hours after the voting closes). I've been tallying the votes as they come in so it should be easy to have final results fairly quickly. I'm pre-building some graphics for the games I know that will more or less be in the top 10 so it should only take a few hours to put the finishing touches on everything at that time.

For those of you that haven't ever been a part of this process, I'll start with the #10 and work up to the #1 game (Ryan Seacrest / Casey Kasem top 40 style) with about 5-10 minutes between reveals to give the thread time to react and discuss. Try to speculate what's coming next or simply talk about your own experience with the revealed game. It's always been a lot of fun, so be sure you don't miss the excitement!

After the top 10 are revealed here, I'll post a thread over on gaming side with our official results showing all the games and their rankings for full discussion. DON'T MISS IT!

Sorry for all the spam on this, but I want to make sure that everyone gets a chance to vote before time runs out

Servizio

I don't really need a tag, but I figured I'd get one to make people jealous. Is it working?
Stilll debating participating in the Steam GOTY vote this year

Not sure if I even played 5 games that came out this year

If you only played one game that you really enjoyed last year I would still whole heartedly encourage participation. You won't do the list any harm by chipping in your two cents.

jshackles

Gentlemen, we can rebuild it. We have the capability to make the world's first enhanced store. Steam will be that store. Better than it was before.
If you only played one game that you really enjoyed last year I would still whole heartedly encourage participation. You won't do the list any harm by chipping in your two cents.

Absolutely. Not everyone has had 5 games on their ballot, but I can say that people with only a few games have absolutely helped shaped the top 10 into what it currently stands at.

The points for one game represent 1/3 of the total points you can allocate. Two games represent 3/5ths.

Grief.exe

Stilll debating participating in the Steam GOTY vote this year

Not sure if I even played 5 games that came out this year

I haven't even played all the games in my top 5 since I spent much of my time this year with Early Access games or on Battle.net.

I know they are the best games released this year, I just haven't gotten around to playing them yet.

thesaucetastic

Unconfirmed Member
Do people really think Twilight Princess is low tier? It has a nice setting, the best partner ever and a great artstyle. Personally, I believe it's Ocarina of Time improved.

(I won't enter into much details, but having yet to play Wind Waker, Majora's Mask and Skyward Sword, my top 5 would be: 1- Twilight Princess, 2- Ocarina of Time, 3- Oracle of Ages, 4- Minish Cap, 5- A Link Between Worlds).
Get on Wind Waker and Majora's Mask ASAP. Those two are my favorite 3D Zelda games.

Skyward Sword is my least favorite 3D Zelda, so you're not missing much there.

QFNS

Unconfirmed Member
Anyone have any recommendations before I dive into Legend of Grimrock 2? I enjoyed the first one quite a bit but never completed it when I got really lost and stuck in some kind of death corridor.

GOTY:
(5 Points) - XCOM 2
(4 Points) - Masquerada: Songs and Shadows
(3 Points) - Firewatch
(2 Points) - The Deadly Tower of Monsters

XCOM 2 should win because it's more XCOM with lots of fun class improvements and a good switch on the base system/economy.

DLC:
(3 Points) - Hard West: Scars of Freedom

I think Hard West: Scars of Freedom should win because it was the only 2016 DLC I player in 2016.

No judgment here. I really, really love me some Zelda. I didn't care for Skyward Sword, but that's about it.

I just rarely see a TP favorite. I was mostly wondering how you'd stack it all if you thought TP was the best.

2 of the ones you haven't played you really should play ASAP. I'm partial as hell to the older ones, though.

Lain

here's another FFXIII question, I never really understood it, much less after not playing it for 9 months, can one finish the game without delving into the weapoon upgrade bullshit? Like im not interested in doing any sort of ultra hard side boss or anything, just finishing the game. I cant remember for the lfie of me if I did any of tht shit on ps3, and I did a bit on PC at the start but I probably already fucked up and upgraded the wrong weapons or something. Can I ignore that crap?

I only upgrade Lightning's weapon to one of the max possible results myself and had no trouble completing the game. The side stuff on Cocoon might be harder, but if you aren't going to do the farming of those giant beasts on Cocoon then skip it.

Alright, I really want to like Prison Architect but I just can't. It's got a really fundamental bug that kills all the fun. Like, making a holding cell that the game doesn't recognise as a "room" (enclosed with walls and doors) so the spot is permanently useless unless I demolish it all and rebuild it again.

It has a lot of cool ideas, but I just can't bear that kind of brokenness in a building sim. I might be able to stick with it if the UI and general controls weren't so miserable, but they are. (e.g. No rebinding and very few controls or customisation options to begin with.)

Looks like I'm going back to Rimworld.

ModBot said:
Instructions for participants:
I am giving away 2 Steam keys. To enter this giveaway, send a PM to ModBot with any subject line. In the body, copy and paste the entire line from the message below that corresponds to the game you want. (if you include more than one game, you will be blocked from entering). Confused? Watch this GIF tutorial or ask for help.
Want to make your own ModBot giveaway? Click here for a quick tutorial thread. Please give generously.

ModBot Basics:
- No need to thank me. Please don't post thank you messages in thread or in PM.
- Do not trade keys you win off-site to enrich yourself. Don't try to claim games you have no interest in collecting or playing. Don't claim games to give them to friends off-site.
- If the key is already taken you will not receive a reply. Replies may take a minute or two.

Rules for this Giveaway:
- Pay it forward. You can only win this game if you've given away a game since you last won a game (minimum one total giveaway).

Legend Of Mysteria -- MB-39AB1C40646C7BAD - Taken by bobnowhere
Spaceport Hope -- MB-ECD50E434D72ADB5 - Taken by Purkake4

Teeth

It turns out, the people asking for trophy/achievement records aren't totally insane.

Why not just say something is the best based on pedigree, footage, and how good cool people on forums say it is?

No need to play it. It's the best.

QFNS

Unconfirmed Member
It turns out, the people asking for trophy/achievement records aren't totally insane.

Why not just say something is the best based on pedigree, footage, and how good cool people on forums say it is?

No need to play it. It's the best.

Or why not let people have opinions and the awards be a collection of those? Asking for proof is silly and counterproductive. You end up excluding people who can't be bothered to take screenshots or trophy list or whatever other method you choose. I'd rather have as many votes as possible and see all the viewpoints however those views were crafted.

But if you want to have some kind of vetting process feel free to start your own awards.

Jawmuncher

I can understand where Teeth is coming from though. I don't think its a problem as much here as compared to say the general gaming awards. Since you can have a case of people voting game X just due to an agenda.

Teeth

Or why not let people have opinions and the awards be a collection of those? Asking for proof is silly and counterproductive. You end up excluding people who can't be bothered to take screenshots or trophy list or whatever other method you choose. I'd rather have as many votes as possible and see all the viewpoints however those views were crafted.

But if you want to have some kind of vetting process feel free to start your own awards.

Sure, let them have their opinions. Opinions that are based on nothing but other peoples' opinions and marketing material.

One of the requirements to vote is that you have to write something about your choices; I assumed that was to incentivize thoughtful picks, assist others in understanding why you picked what you picked, and promote intelligent discussion.

How does any of that work when you haven't played the game?

Edit: like, I'm not voting because I've played 1 game from 2016. But I could easily put Dark Souls 3, Inside, Doom, Firewatch, and Street Fighter 5 as my top 5. Haven't played them yet, will probably love'em.

Servizio

I don't really need a tag, but I figured I'd get one to make people jealous. Is it working?
Is there a helpful list of games released this year?

There's the spreadsheet from the general GAF GOTYs. You can use Steam's releases sorted by release date. There's Steam Gauge for sorting your Steam library by date. And you can use library filters to find early access games in your library.

re: Forum GOTY votes, GOTYs in general: You really have no way of knowing who played what or why they're "really" voting for something in any GOTY vote ever. So why worry about it.

Teggy

Hey, I finished Shadowrun Returns. I can count the number of turn based RPGs I've ever finished on one hand so that's kind of a big deal for me :)

Volimar

There's the spreadsheet from the general GAF GOTYs. You can use Steam's releases sorted by release date. There's Steam Gauge for sorting your Steam library by date. And you can use library filters to find early access games in your library.

re: Forum GOTY votes, GOTYs in general: You really have no way of knowing who played what or why they're "really" voting for something in any GOTY vote ever. So why worry about it.

Thanks for the tip.

Eh, I'm just not gonna vote. Better than having to pass other gaffers' litmus tests.

Posting here what you voted for is optional.

Unless, it's anime. And then we have have a place for you. There's one in the spotlight. He don't look right to me. Get him up against the wall.

Austin Walker has this covered:

Austin Walker's Top 10 Games To Watch in 2016 He's an articulate dude, and his #1 is incredibly well-reasoned. He makes a good case for why his #1 is so good--and freely admits he's never played it.

Like, you really don't need to have played a game to think it's good. It certainly helps, but in most cases people are smart enough to figure out why they might or might not like a given game, and also why it's great (or terrible.).
Eh, I'm just not gonna vote. Better than having to pass other gaffers' litmus tests.

If the Darkest Timeline known as 2016 taught us anything, it's that you have to vote. Otherwise we'll enter territory that's uncharted for sure... and we all know how that turns out.

Don't let Dark Souls 3 win without a fight. (Unless you're voting for it, in which case... I have regrets.)
Hey, I finished Shadowrun Returns. I can count the number of turn based RPGs I've ever finished on one hand so that's kind of a big deal for me :)

I said this to someone in SteamGAF playing SRR (might have been you, even!), but if you liked Returns, Dragonfall and Hong Kong will blow your mind. They're superior to it in every way.

You are in for a great ride, Teggy! Enjoy it.

As a huge Zelda fan, Twilight Princess is my favorite Zelda game.
I don't know why it gets bagged on as much as it does, it's just a better take on Ocarina of Time. Having played both entirely for the first time in 2010 or so (I only finished the young Link stuff when I originally played OoT on like... UltraHLE in 1998) I really found myself increasingly agitated with a lot of things in Ocarina. I don't love Twilight Princess, but I did come out of it feeling much better than I Ocarina or Wind Waker. Yeti Mansion for best Zelda dungeon.

But I really don't care much for polygonal console Zelda games, Majora's Mask is the exception there as it's just a cut above the others I've played and does so many smart things with how it changed the formula, but between OoT, WW, and TP I don't really have a reverence for the series from its 3D incarnation onward, I didn't even play Skyward Sword. That said, BotW does garner some legitimate interest in me from what I've seen.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom