• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

STEAM | January 2017 - Time to get GAMEDUMPED

Status
Not open for further replies.

Teggy

I said this to someone in SteamGAF playing SRR (might have been you, even!), but if you liked Returns, Dragonfall and Hong Kong will blow your mind. They're superior to it in every way.

You are in for a great ride, Teggy! Enjoy it.

Nowhere to go but up in that series if you enjoyed Returns.

Yeah, I had heard this, but I had it in my backlog and it's not too long so it seemed a good idea to play it and get introduced to the engine.

Volimar

The Elder Scrolls Online: One Tamriel counts as DLC, right?

Austin Walker has this covered:

Austin Walker's Top 10 Games To Watch in 2016 He's an articulate dude, and his #1 is incredibly well-reasoned. He makes a good case for why his #1 is so good--and freely admits he's never played it.

Like, you really don't need to have played a game to think it's good. It certainly helps, but in most cases people are smart enough to figure out why they might or might not like a given game, and also why it's great (or terrible.).

If the Darkest Timeline known as 2016 taught us anything, it's that you have to vote. Otherwise we'll enter territory that's uncharted for sure... and we all know how that turns out.

Don't let Dark Souls 3 win without a fight. (Unless you're voting for it, in which case... I have regrets.)

I said this to someone in SteamGAF playing SRR (might have been you, even!), but if you liked Returns, Dragonfall and Hong Kong will blow your mind. They're superior to it in every way.

You are in for a great ride, Teggy! Enjoy it.

No worries, I haven't played DS 3.

Jawmuncher

As a huge Zelda fan, Twilight Princess is my favorite Zelda game.

I don't know why it gets bagged on as much as it does, it's just a better take on Ocarina of Time. Having played both entirely for the first time in 2010 or so (I only finished the young Link stuff when I originally played OoT on like... UltraHLE in 1998) I really found myself increasingly agitated with a lot of things in Ocarina. I don't love Twilight Princess, but I did come out of it feeling much better than I Ocarina or Wind Waker. Yeti Mansion for best Zelda dungeon.

But I really don't care much for polygonal console Zelda games, Majora's Mask is the exception there as it's just a cut above the others I've played and does so many smart things with how it changed the formula, but between OoT, WW, and TP I don't really have a reverence for the series from its 3D incarnation onward, I didn't even play Skyward Sword. That said, BotW does garner some legitimate interest in me from what I've seen.

I cante you why it gets piled on because I'm playing it right now. The game drags something fierce, especially due to the dark world.

5k doom is amazing, too bad it runs like 20-30fps max here lol

Gsync is the real game changer, 144hz is just a bonus. I can barely tell the difference between 60 and 144hz.

Heh. One Tamriel would be a good nom if it's eligible (not sure, myself). I can't imagine playing ESO with level requirements.

And I should get this off my chest: I managed to get infected by a Werewolf on my very first encounter with them.
ENTIRE ESO GOAL ACCOMPLISHED.
Yeah, I had heard this, but I had it in my backlog and it's not too long so it seemed a good idea to play it and get introduced to the engine.

Returns is something you play first or not at all. You made the right choice, I'd say.

It's not that it's a terrible game (I'd call it mediocre), but it's just really difficult to go back to (return to, if you will) because of all the gameplay/engine/roleplaying improvements the sequels manage to pack in.

I cante you why it gets piled on because I'm playing it right now. The game drags something fierce, especially due to the dark world.
I felt exactly that with Ocarina of Time. That game has how many dungeons? 12? 13? At some point I was just trying to beeline it to the next to get it over with. Wind Waker's rupee grind and sailing vast nothingness also comes to mind. It's almost a series staple. Something that absolutely helped in quelling my fatigue there in Twilight Princess was the lack of some instrument that had a variety of code inputs. I never want to play an ocarina or wave a baton again.

QFNS

Unconfirmed Member
GOTY:
(5 Points) - XCOM 2
(4 Points) - Stellaris
(3 Points) - Inside
(2 Points) - Civilization VI
(1 Point) - Tyranny

This list is what I wished mine looked like. In an alternative timeline where I had way more time to spend on Paradox games, I'd be this guy right here.

Tyranny is probably next on most tho. Need to see how a tighter Pillars of Eternity goes.

Volimar

Heh. One Tamriel would be a good nom if it's eligible (not sure, myself). I can't imagine playing ESO with level requirements.

And I should get this off my chest: I managed to get infected by a Werewolf on my very first encounter with them.
ENTIRE ESO GOAL ACCOMPLISHED.

What? No fair!

Grief.exe

Sure, let them have their opinions. Opinions that are based on nothing but other peoples' opinions and marketing material.

One of the requirements to vote is that you have to write something about your choices; I assumed that was to incentivize thoughtful picks, assist others in understanding why you picked what you picked, and promote intelligent discussion.

How does any of that work when you haven't played the game?

Edit: like, I'm not voting because I've played 1 game from 2016. But I could easily put Dark Souls 3, Inside, Doom, Firewatch, and Street Fighter 5 as my top 5. Haven't played them yet, will probably love'em.

There are so many ways to experience games these days. Between Youtube, Twitch, and other outlets you can easily get an idea whether a game is well designed and would appeal to you without explicitly playing the game.

Games like Xcom and Stardew I know I will enjoy, but I haven't been able to devote the time they deserve in 2016. I'll get around to it in 2017, but I know they deserve a spot on my list.

Teggy

There are so many ways to experience games these days. Between Youtube, Twitch, and other outlets you can easily get an idea whether a game is well designed and would appeal to you without explicitly playing the game.

Yeah, and playing visual novels is really just like watching a YouTube video anyway.

Echoplx

You actually digging in on this one? Voting for a game you haven't played is stupid.

Grief.exe

That's how I felt about the game too, but I haven't played it in so long I can't dig deeper.

Yeah, and playing visual novels is really just like watching a YouTube video anyway.

House of Fata Morgana number 1 Steam GAF 2016.

You actually digging in on this one? Voting for a game you haven't played is stupid.

What a well thought out and nuanced argument. I'm convinced.

FLD

If everyone took as many liberties with their ballots as Grief, the results would be complete madness. No Man's Sky as game of the year! Balance patch for best DLC! Dogs and cats living together!

Nillansan

I am so happy to hear that Swery has made his return to game development. Now a spiritual successor to Deadly Premonition would be great.

Buraindo

Alright decided to vote in the end. I practically missed almost every single big release this year so my list is shorter.
I did play a few more games from this year but decided against putting them on the list since I barely spent one hour on each for one reason or another. Mostly played older games and Siege.

TheSeks

Blinded by the luminous glory that is David Bowie's physical manifestation.
here's another FFXIII question, I never really understood it, much less after not playing it for 9 months, can one finish the game without delving into the weapoon upgrade bullshit? Like im not interested in doing any sort of ultra hard side boss or anything, just finishing the game. I cant remember for the lfie of me if I did any of tht shit on ps3, and I did a bit on PC at the start but I probably already fucked up and upgraded the wrong weapons or something. Can I ignore that crap?

For the most part, yeah. AFAIK the main-story doesn't require it. It's just for the trophy/platinum that you have to do that.

TheSeks

Blinded by the luminous glory that is David Bowie's physical manifestation.
Absolutely. Not everyone has had 5 games on their ballot, but I can say that people with only a few games have absolutely helped shaped the top 10 into what it currently stands at.

The points for one game represent 1/3 of the total points you can allocate. Two games represent 3/5ths.

Dunno if you'll count it, but since someone put that Steam Gauge up:

1. Dark Souls 3
2. Tom Clancy's The Division (if only for Survival mode. Surprise of the year for me)
3. Disgaea 1/Disgaea PC
Battlefield 1
(but since that isn't on Steam you won't count it. :p So let's put in:) Final Fantasy X/X-2 HD
5. Biohazard 0: HD

Early Access:

1. Paladins, which is "Open Beta" but not EA per-se. I'd still count it as that.
2. Ghost in the Shell: Stand Alone Complex Online (wait, this released at the tailend of 2015. D'oh)
2. If GitS doesn't count: Blockhood.
3. Overload Playable Teaser (since it's supposed to release this year IIRC, I'd count this demo as Early Access last year)

DLC:

1. Tom Clancy's The Division - Survival: While it can get repetitive since people are making maps, the base concept is very cool and I feel some developer needs to copy the idea and tweak it slightly for single-player/offline purposes and it'd be damn near perfect.

(I haven't played much DLC this past year, so I have no clue past that)

I am so happy to hear that Swery has made his return to game development. Now a spiritual successor to Deadly Premonition would be great.

SWERY is back and better than ever.

8e822d_32a089c6a93e4898jmw.jpg
(From their official site.)

Tizoc

Can we get a deadly premonition remastered that is an actual good pc port? It can stay ue3 for all i care but wothout all the peformance bs

T-Rex.

Banned
(5 Points) - Danganronpa 2: Goodbye Despair
(4 Points) - Danganronpa: Trigger Happy Havoc
(3 Points) - Dark Souls 3
(2 Points) - Hitman
(1 Point) - Yomawari: Night Alone

can't really think of anything else

I feel like you should have at least played a game to vote for it in the GOTY awards. We all know that there are a lot of really great games coming out these days and it's difficult to get the time to play them all. Or sometimes you can't necessarily finish a particular game due to it's design or difficulty or just sheer breadth of content. And while you can reasonably make a judgement on what games you'd like just from reading reviews or watching footage, I feel like it would be best if the GOTY award is about the best game you played. And yeah, there are some games like kinetic novels which you can watch entirely on Youtube and get the same experience. Nobody is going to check if you played anything so just vote for whatever you feel was the best thing you enjoyed.

What really makes the SteamGAF GOTY interesting is that there's a huge variety of games that release each year and everyone votes for different stuff. The final list is not your bog standard top 10 GOTY list that you can grab from any gaming news website. In fact, even the ranks 10-20 will be interesting because it'll probably be filled with stuff that not many people played but enough liked to vote for them. So for example Doom is going to land up in the top 5 and you might not have been able to play it yet but what you saw looked good and you've heard great things so you could put in a vote for it. But how about instead of that you vote for that less recognizable puzzle game or platformer that you did play and let the rest of us know that it was a good game too?

Anyway, that's just my 2 cents on the issue.

A friend gifted me Trackmania Turbo yesterday get this... I couldn't get the gold medal on the first level. Granted I only played it for about 5 minutes but it was the first level. That is so dire...

Another friend gifted me Shantae Half-Genie Hero and that is one really nice game. Great music and art style. I played a couple of levels of that and died several times. The second level boss was particularly challenging because I reached it with less than 40% total health and the game doesn't replenish your health if you die and restart the boss. I didn't have any healing potions stocked up either (a mistake I will not make again). Kind of feel like that's a bit of a design flaw because it gets super frustrating to start the fight with so little health. There is an item that lets you abandon the level and go back to town where you can heal/buy potions to try it again though but I eventually managed to git gud and beat the boss with the handicap.

But yeah the two new games I tried yesterday gave me a lot of trouble. This was me yesterday night

7h1JNoE.jpg

Nintendo has disrespected my Borderlands. So I will now declare that the Switch will be dead before Borderlands 3 stops its DLC cycle.

I might of actually bought some Siren amiibo.

Monooboe

I feel kind of bad not having Dragons Dogma or Xanadu Next on my list. Xanadu Next is like sixth on my list and Dragons Dogma was my third time playing it this year so it was more like just quick visit back home.

That said, I am glad to see them both popping up on several peoples lists!

Momentary

Banned
The STEAM forums reaction to Guilty Gear Xrd Rev. 2 is downright embarrassing. The people on their spewing their vitriol all over the place are so ignorant. They are talking about the DLC as if it's another stand alone game and are expecting to be charged full price for it. On top of that they are basically making things up to try and make the situation way more dramatic than it already is. I feel bad for Shini right now. He/she is trying to put out some fires, but the people there will only believe what they want to believe. The STEAM forums are embarrassing to look through much less comment in. I'm surprised developers even take the time to even post in that cesspool of a place.

People have complained for so long about Arc System Works not having their games release on PC at the same time as consoles. Now that we get DLC for Revelator, you have people on their bitching about it being too soon and complaining about it as if it's some full fledged release. I know that it's just the minority, but damn are they loud as hell about it.

Tizoc

Steam forums in general are like youtube comments
Expect stupid stuff

Say jehackles would rev 2 count as dlc? It is an update to ggxrd r that mainly changed up the core gameplay.

Ryne

Thanks

ModBot said:
Instructions for participants:
I am giving away 3 Steam keys. To enter this giveaway, send a PM to ModBot with any subject line. In the body, copy and paste the entire line from the message below that corresponds to the game you want. (if you include more than one game, you will be blocked from entering). Confused? Watch this GIF tutorial or ask for help.
Want to make your own ModBot giveaway? Click here for a quick tutorial thread. Please give generously.

ModBot Basics:
- This giveaway has a manual blocklist. The giver has identified members who abuse giveaways and restricted them from participating.
- I really appreciate thank you messages, but please send them to me (Ryne, not ModBot!) via PM instead of in thread.
- Do not trade keys you win off-site to enrich yourself. Don't try to claim games you have no interest in collecting or playing. Don't claim games to give them to friends off-site.
- If the key is already taken you will not receive a reply. Replies may take a minute or two.

Rules for this Giveaway:
- If you are a lurker you are not eligible for this giveaway. You need five or more posts in either the current Steam thread or the previous one to be eligible

Day of the Tentacle Remastered -- MB-E4902985522CA2E2 - Taken by PaulSane
Epic Battle Fantasy 4 -- MB-0A7EB3596A89746C - Taken by Hakkelus
Shantae and the Pirate's Curse -- MB-5638563FD38B2936 - Taken by Anteater

Durante

There's the spreadsheet from the general GAF GOTYs. You can use Steam's releases sorted by release date. There's Steam Gauge for sorting your Steam library by date. And you can use library filters to find early access games in your library.

re: Forum GOTY votes, GOTYs in general: You really have no way of knowing who played what or why they're "really" voting for something in any GOTY vote ever. So why worry about it.
That spreadsheet doesn't even include SHENZHEN I/O though. For shame.

(For the SteamGAF awards I always just look through the "recent" list in the Steam library)

Ryne

Thanks again

ModBot said:
Instructions for participants:
I am giving away 3 Steam keys. To enter this giveaway, send a PM to ModBot with any subject line. In the body, copy and paste the entire line from the message below that corresponds to the game you want. (if you include more than one game, you will be blocked from entering). Confused? Watch this GIF tutorial or ask for help.
Want to make your own ModBot giveaway? Click here for a quick tutorial thread. Please give generously.

ModBot Basics:
- No need to thank me. Please don't post thank you messages in thread or in PM.
- Do not trade keys you win off-site to enrich yourself.
- If the key is already taken you will not receive a reply. Replies may take a minute or two.

Rules for this Giveaway:
- This is a garbage dump. No other rules apply, you may claim as many as you want (there are no limits or throttles), and keys you win won't be counted as wins for your record. Do not SELL these keys for a profit.

Bit.Trip.Runner 2 -- MB-DD5FA0524921D386 - Taken by Garmonbozia
Risk of Rain -- MB-0F45361D1AC982D9 - Taken by Kudo
Spacebase DF-9 -- MB-2B33C140269CDEC1 - Taken by Monooboe

Rhaknar

The Steam equivalent of the drunk friend who keeps offering to pay your tab all night.
im not quoting all the people that replied becuse im a lazymotherfucker, but thanks for everyone that assured me you can bypass the weapon upgrade bullshit if youre just going for the main story in FFXIII.

Monooboe

So when we were discussion Rogue Legacy people brought up Risk of Rain as another must play game. I was under the impression that it was kind of like an endless runner so I never really gave it a go. How well does the game hold up today?

duppolo

one question: if u are eterosexual, will you fuck with gaben cause is gaben? or: will you fuck with gaben for every steam realese till u die for free? or: for half life 3?

Oreoleo

So when we were discussion Rogue Legacy people brought up Risk of Rain as another must play game. I was under the impression that it was kind of like an endless runner so I never really gave it a go. How well does the game hold up today?

It's not like it's that old? Risk of Rain is great, one of the best games of its type. Liked it a *lot* more than Rogue Legacy that's for sure.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom