• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

STEAM | January 2017 - Time to get GAMEDUMPED

Status
Not open for further replies.
Is Toki Tori 2 worth playing? Always avoided it because of the art style but the description of learning to use the same abilities in new ways sounds interesting.
I saw a video, Game Maker's Toolkit possibly, that broke TT2 down. It turns out that you have all your abilities the whole game but haven't learned the application, and once you know you can sequence break all over the place.

Anno

How's the number of Steam GOTY voters this year compared to the previous one(s)?

Think jshackles said it was 161 this year? 184 last year.

I tried to get into the first dishonored but something about its gameplay just felt off.

I bounced off the original two or three times before finally getting it. I'm not sure why. I think it's when I realized that just because you can play it as a stealth game doesn't mean you need to. It's an amazing action game as well.

jshackles

Gentlemen, we can rebuild it. We have the capability to make the world's first enhanced store. Steam will be that store. Better than it was before.
How's the number of Steam GOTY voters this year compared to the previous one(s)?

We had 161 entrants this year. Last year we had 184.

jshackles

Gentlemen, we can rebuild it. We have the capability to make the world's first enhanced store. Steam will be that store. Better than it was before.

dyFKWDp.png

Oreoleo

I tried to get into the first dishonored but something about its gameplay just felt off.
Same. I wanna say it was because of the stealth focus, but two of my favorite games of the last two years were MGSV and Hitman so who knows. I wanna take another crack at it one of these days though.

QFNS

Unconfirmed Member
Awesome looking so far. Glad that Blood and Wine got its deserved #1 spot. I look forward to the day that Factorio and Rimworld exit early access so I can lose any semblance of free time I had left.

Anno

I expected Inside to be a bit higher.

Same. I wanna say it was because of the stealth focus, but two of my favorite games of the last two years were MGSV and Hitman so who knows. I wanna take another crack at it one of these days though.

Give it a try as a stealth/action game. That's when I really fell in love. Just blinking around and eluding guards just didn't quite do it for me either.

jshackles

jshackles

KenOD

a kinder, gentler sort of Scrooge
Well go ahead and disconnect an augment Jensen, I expected a better ranking from Mankind Divided.

------------------------------
I know at least a dozen people who didn't vote this year simply because they felt like they hadn't played enough. Much of it chalked up due to games like Overwatch, Final Fantasy XIV, various rhythm games, and the like taking up much time outside of Steam.

2016 was a good year of gaming where there was a lot to play elsewhere. Even Origin had a good game that distracted people.

Anno

Between Legion and Overwatch I think Blizzard just soaked up a ton of the PC gaming space this year as compared to 2015. I think 2016 was an amazing year for games overall.

QFNS

Unconfirmed Member
Yeah I contribute the decline into the STEAM games I played this year. I played tons of Overwatch that isn't eligible.

jshackles

Deus Ex at 8 supports the theory that this year was amazing for games ;)

if Overwatch was on Steam I'd have made it #1

There are some really great games that released this year - I almost wanted to a Top 20 reveal (instead of a Top 10) simply because there are so many great games that made their way to the top of the list.

jshackles

Deus Ex at number 8? Not too shabby.

On the flip side, last year there were 131 games on the ballot. This year we had 151 represented.

Interesting. That's quite a boost in games selection. It's also reflected in GAF and many other GOTY lists out there. 2016 games were pretty diverse.

It's what happens when you actually release the results in mid-January. No time for last-minute entries.

Yeah, maybe. I also still have at least a couple 2016 games to play.

But it's my own fault as I played certain games too much last year while neglecting my backlogs.

bbd23

Not my kind of game but I actually expected the witness to chart higher based on how people were talking about it.

this could be an interesting list!

Parsnip

That's first game that I voted for.
I'm extremely curious to see where my other votes end up. Fairly certain at least 2 of them are higher than 7.

I think placement in the list is partially down to the access to the games - how likely is SteamGAF's usual crowd to own and have played the game? This means it's biased towards games that went on sale like DOOM for $20, or cheap games like Firewatch.

jshackles

I expected the witness to be lower actually. Game wasn't talked about much in the thread.

The Witness also hasn't been discounted very heavily yet, so I suspect once that happens a lot of others around here will see what all the fuss is about.

Parsnip

Witness kind of came and went and was a January release. Might have forgotten it even came out this year if I hadn't been doing the 52 games thing and seen it on my list there.

jshackles

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom