• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

STEAM | January 2017 - Time to get GAMEDUMPED

Status
Not open for further replies.

Oreoleo

The Witness also hasn't been discounted very heavily yet, so I suspect once that happens a lot of others around here will see what all the fuss is about.

Indeed. I only got it in the Winter sale (and only just barely) and didn't put enough time into it yet for it to break my top 5, but I'm liking what I've played so far.

Edit: If Superhot isn't in the top 10 I'm gonna fuckin' riot.

Parsnip

Nice, Dragon's Dogma.

But also wasn't on my list. :p I liked it a lot but didn't sink enough hours into it to feel good about putting it on there.

KenOD

a kinder, gentler sort of Scrooge
Dragon's Dogma, a game that easily deserves notice just for reminding everyone the improvement that is possible from console to PC.

That and grabbing people and smaller enemies and throwing them off a cliff

jshackles

Gentlemen, we can rebuild it. We have the capability to make the world's first enhanced store. Steam will be that store. Better than it was before.
Dragon's Dogma was my #1 pick, glad to see such a well-made late port getting so much love from fellow GAFers.

Lomax

I sort of expected Dragon's Dogma to be higher as it was pretty widespread on this thread, I think it's the only game on any of these lists from this year that I even actually played at all.

kagamin

Sounds very Trump

1284049017351.png

illusionary

Pony Island for surprise #1 then? :p That''s a lot of the biggest names already placed

XCOM 2 and Civ VI still yet to show... Firaxis may have the year in the bag...

Shantom

Pony Island for surprise #1 then? :p That#'s a lot of the biggest names already placed

XCOM 2 still yet to show...

There's 5 big strategy games (XCOM2, Civ 6, Stellaris, HoI4, Total Warhammer) and DOOM still left, so at least one of those has missed out on the top 10.

jshackles

Gentlemen, we can rebuild it. We have the capability to make the world's first enhanced store. Steam will be that store. Better than it was before.

KenOD

a kinder, gentler sort of Scrooge
I wonder how many are like me and just never got a chance to play more than the first episode of Hitman, and thus didn't vote on it at all?

jshackles

Anno

That's 3 immersive sim/stealth sandbox type games in the top 10. Just cements how good of a year it was for the genre, and that it's still very much a PC staple.

Parsnip

Dark Souls and Doom are going to be up there, but the rest are a mystery to me.
Doom is likely number 1. That's just seems like PC ass PC game.

Oreoleo

I wonder how many are like me and just never got a chance to play more than the first episode of Hitman, and thus didn't vote on it at all?

TBQH Hitman could have been just the prologue and Paris and it still would have been my GOTY. Got so many hours out of that little bit of content. What a fantastic game.

bbd23

Im enjoying HITMAN but it missed my top 5 because some of the levels aren't that enjoyable. Sapienza is amazing though.

jshackles

Hitman and Dragon's Dogma had the same number of people vote for them. But people that voted for Hitman put it higher and it scored 9 additional points.

JaseC

gave away the keys to the kingdom.
Licensing issues. I think Activision published it, so they probably own the game itself without the Wolfenstein license, so to get it released again, Acti and Bethesda would need to strike a deal.

Zenimax owns the game and IP. It even has access to the Steam app as it's in a Zenimax employee sub. Pete Hines has banged on about "technical issues that are technical enough to be a problem", but in truth the roadblock is that Zenimax has a stick up its arse about acknowledging games that its subsidiaries were not involved with (see also: Prey 2006 and Quake Wars).

Burt

Someone's gonna have to explain the Dragon's Dogma hyperbole to me.

I dropped maybe 30 hours into it, liked it a lot, but

the combat was more "looks good" than "feels good" or "is good"

the story is pretty lacking

and I know I should have a third thing because lists like this feel better in threes but I can't think of anything because it's been a while

But I do know I zonked out of it eventually because there was no story and I was tired of grinding millimeters off health bars. The aesthetic is generally fantastic, the class system is well-realized, and the scope of the world is great, but the hollowness of the combat and that 'story' really cement it outside the top tier for me.

I tried to enjoy Dragon's Dogma but it just didn't click with me. The combat and atmosphere seemed decent but everything else about it was kind of a mixed bag for me.

jshackles

PaulSane

I loved the first one, I take it by your votes that the second one is shaping up well? I haven't really kept up with any of the development.

It can actually be considered a finished game already - it's still in EA because developers are constantly adding new features and game mechanics, but what's already there works perfectly and the game feels complete. Keep in mind that gameplay-wise, it's pretty different from the first one (battles are somewhat similar though), the stuff you do on the galaxy map (harassing or befriending other captains\joining factions\creating your own faction etc.) and the mechanic of "everything moves as you move" reminds me of Mount and Blade, which is actually a very positive thing :)

jshackles

Dat quote though
;P

Lomax

It can actually be considered a finished game already - it's still in EA because developers are constantly adding new features and game mechanics, but what's already there works perfectly and the game feels complete. Keep in mind that gameplay-wise, it's pretty different from the first one (battles are somewhat similar though), the stuff you do on the galaxy map (harassing or befriending other captains\joining factions\creating your own faction etc.) and the mechanic of "everything moves as you move" reminds me of Mount and Blade, which is actually a very positive thing :)

Cool, I'll definitely keep an eye on it. Glad to hear the new ideas came together well.

Edit: So must be Doom, Dark Souls 3, and Stardew Valley for top three. Guess Civ VI landed with more of a thud than I realized.

The combat in DDDA is a lot of fun if you're in a good level range for the opponent. If you massively outlevel/gear them, it's too easy, and on the other end, it's difficult if not impossible (in a less-than-fun way). It at times feels like an MMO with "level checks" rather than the open world adventure RPG it so desperately claims to be.

I really think it would be a better game if it minimised or eliminated the level aspect. The core pitch and gameplay are really good without it. It's just the balancing that really throws it out of whack.

bbd23

Someone's gonna have to explain the Dragon's Dogma hyperbole to me.

I dropped maybe 30 hours into it, liked it a lot, but

the combat was more "looks good" than "feels good" or "is good"

the story is pretty lacking

pretty much how I felt playing the first few hours of that game. Could not get into it at all.

Parsnip

I'm honestly a little surprised that XCOM2 is up there, I don't remember people talking about it a lot, other than how badly it ran at launch.

jshackles

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom