• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

STEAM | January 2017 - Time to get GAMEDUMPED

Status
Not open for further replies.

xist

+1 for anyone farming cards.

ModBot said:
Instructions for participants:
I am giving away a Steam key. To enter this giveaway, send a PM to ModBot with any subject line. In the body, copy and paste the entire line from the message below containing the game you want to enter for. Confused? Watch this GIF tutorial or ask for help.
Want to make your own ModBot giveaway? Click here for a quick tutorial thread. Please give generously.

ModBot Basics:
- I really appreciate thank you messages, but please send them to me (xist, not ModBot!) via PM instead of in thread.
- Do not trade keys you win off-site to enrich yourself. Don't try to claim games you have no interest in collecting or playing. Don't claim games to give them to friends off-site.
- If the key is already taken you will not receive a reply. Replies may take a minute or two.

They Came From The Moon -- MB-E281AA997DC9B1D1 - Taken by Hakkelus

Ozium

I hope to Eothas that POE2 uses the hyperlink lore text shit from Tyranny, where lore items would be highlighted a color to indicate that this is something your character should know about/understand, and you can just mouseover and view it rather than having to go through 2 minutes of expository dialogue

if they confirm that will be in then I will back it

Anno

I hope to Eothas that POE2 uses the hyperlink lore text shit from Tyranny, where lore items would be highlighted a color to indicate that this is something your character should know about/understand, and you can just mouseover and view it rather than having to go through 2 minutes of expository dialogue

Sawyer seemed pretty enthusiastic about that when asked a couple times, which I hope is an indication it can be there. Pillars needs something like that badly, and it probably could work out in cool ways for various Watcher things.

MisterHero

Hello all. I bought a newbie gaming PC and I'm just getting into Steam. Seems like a great service. Bought the Dead Rising 1/2/OTR pack and DR1 runs great so far.

However, I bought GTAV the standalone PC version over the Steam version because it was cheaper. There's no way of connecting it to the Steam service, correct?

Nabs

Hello all. I bought a newbie gaming PC and I'm just getting into Steam. Seems like a great service. Bought the Dead Rising 1/2/OTR pack and DR1 runs great so far.

However, I bought GTAV the standalone PC version over the Steam version because it was cheaper. There's no way of connecting it to the Steam service, correct?

Correct. They both use Rockstar Social Club, so you'll still be able to connect with friends if you're into that.

barber

You can connect any program to steam (as in the steam overlay will be working and you will be able to chat with your friends when alt tabbing) by adding a game (down left in the standalone) -> non-steam game. BUT the game wont be the steam version and you wont be able to access it from other computers.

Welcome to the PC gaming world and pay atention to the deals and bundles that this threat shows. EDIT: the current best of 2016 bundle in humblebundle.com is a great value with different good games from genres that tend to be under representated in consoles like strategy (homeworld), crpg (shadowrun), survival (rust) so you may try to take a look

Nere

Now that pillas of eternity 2 got announced want to play the first one which I was always interested in but so many versions of it on steam, I am confused. There is Hero edition, Champion edition and Royal edition plus there are expansions and shit. Can anyone please make things clear for me?

Anno

Now that pillas of eternity 2 got announced want to play the first one which I was always interested in but so many versions of it on steam, I am confused. There is Hero edition, Champion edition and Royal edition plus there are expansions and shit. Can anyone please make things clear for me?

Champion and Royal just give you some extra digital tidbits (some lore, soundtrack, wallpapers, stuff like that). Unless you really really love that stuff I would just get the Hero since it's cheapest. You don't really need to worry about the expansions until decently far into the game so play through for a bit and if you're really digging it maybe get those then.

ModBot

Not a mod, just a bot.
Thanks to an anonymous benefactor, I am giving away 2 Steam keys. To enter this giveaway, send a PM to ModBot with any subject line. In the body, copy and paste the entire line from the message below that corresponds to the game you want. (if you include more than one game, you will be blocked from entering). Confused? Watch this GIF tutorial or ask for help.
Want to make your own ModBot giveaway? Click here for a quick tutorial thread. Please give generously.

ModBot Basics:
- Do not trade keys you win off-site to enrich yourself.
- If the key is already taken you will not receive a reply. Replies may take a minute or two.

Rules for this Giveaway:
- This is a garbage dump. No other rules apply, you may claim as many as you want (there are no limits or throttles), and keys you win won't be counted as wins for your record. Do not SELL these keys for a profit.

Broadsword : Age of Chivalry -- MB-B2D6EA6FCAA813CD - Taken by Purkake4
Deep Dungeons of Doom -- MB-1A8F3DF784B224FF - Taken by dot

MisterHero

Correct. They both use Rockstar Social Club, so you'll still be able to connect with friends if you're into that.

You can connect any program to steam (as in the steam overlay will be working and you will be able to chat with your friends when alt tabbing) by adding a game (down left in the standalone) -> non-steam game. BUT the game wont be the steam version and you wont be able to access it from other computers.

Welcome to the PC gaming world and pay atention to the deals and bundles that this threat shows. EDIT: the current best of 2016 bundle in humblebundle.com is a great value with different good games from genres that tend to be under representated in consoles like strategy (homeworld), crpg (shadowrun), survival (rust) so you may try to take a look
Thanks for answering. I can live without the Steam achievements. :p I'll probably get the GTA bundle with III, VC, SA, IV etc.. Lots of Star Wars games I've heard good things about.

Now I just have to save some money...

QFNS

Unconfirmed Member

I already backed it but I want this more than anything else they are doing with the tech.

AHA-Lambda

Fata Morgana is kinda slow so far, I'm not seeing what all the big fuss is abou--

W4E4rWS.jpg

120.gif
120.gif

120.gif
120.gif

Vibranium

Banned
The RE7 save room theme is really good. It has that Texas Chainsaw Massacre/Southern vibe.

I can't wait to hear Capcom's remix of RE2's piano save theme, I like how it is calm, like how you're temporarily safe, but also very ominous as Raccoon City is finished. I hope they don't mess around with the Police Station Main Hall soundtrack too much though.

Grief.exe

The setting was greyed out with my xb1 controller plugged in

Also that screenshot gives you a good example of the pixelated texture in the menu I was talking about. Look at the blood splatters.

2D elements don't upscale like 3D models.

I've never played a CRPG before, even though I own all of them.

I know I would love them, but the time commitment always turns me off starting them.

Lashley

Why does he wear the mask!?
FF XV does such a poor job of explaining it's systems. Does it ever explain it's wait mode combat system?

Nere

Champion and Royal just give you some extra digital tidbits (some lore, soundtrack, wallpapers, stuff like that). Unless you really really love that stuff I would just get the Hero since it's cheapest. You don't really need to worry about the expansions until decently far into the game so play through for a bit and if you're really digging it maybe get those then.

Okey then will get the Hero edition and will see for the rest thanks for your help!

Nzyme32

I've never played a CRPG before, even though I own all of them.

I know I would love them, but the time commitment always turns me off starting them.

So I pretty much started Pillars of Eternity in this situation. I'd played baldies gate and fallout a bit but I was far too young to even begin to understand and enjoy them so gave up. I didn't try much in the way of heavy reading games till Sunless Sea, which was awesome, so I then decided to dive into a crpg again.

Pillars was a surprisingly awesome starting point. It kind of hooked me straight away with the wonderful music and environments, atmosphere and lore. It can look overwhelming when you think of how long the game is and that it is spewing all this lore at you from the character creation screen onwards - but seriously, just take a relaxed approach to it.

Best approach is treating it a bit like a book. Grab a drink / something to snack on and just take a casual approach to it, taking your time. The character creation thing makes things easy to understand since all the things that you need to know have their own tool tip to help you understand, whether that is stats or lore etc. By the time you've spent ages making your character and you start the game, I think that opening was really brilliant. It's a slow start but gets you really into its world. Rather than throwing exposition at you, they just treat you as someone new to that area but not the actual word, so while you won't know everything, your not meant to and will learn it as you go.

Definitely think you should just throw 4 or 5 hours at it and see what you think. I'd try to avoid not playing for too long though as after several weeks, despite a great diary system writing your story down, it will be tricky to get back into it. I spent anywhere between an hour to 6hrs every few days playing and adored it

Vibranium

Banned
They already did that with the Darkside Chronicles soundtrack.

The original is better, but I don't hate the Wii version. Generally they did a pretty decent job with existing tracks from RE2 and CVX.

Yeah, I played Darkside Chronicles, the remix was pretty good I thought (and it was fine since the Chronicles games were a remix of series events anyways). I do hope it is as harsh and ominous sounding as the original for the remake.

Speaking of DC, it was nice to have Paul Mercier and Roger Craig Smith (not to mention Krauser's original VA!) voicing in that game. A shame both guys (well the latter in the latest CG movie anyways) have been Capcom'ed.

Rhaknar

The Steam equivalent of the drunk friend who keeps offering to pay your tab all night.
In Final Fantasy IV, Im in the
underworld
with
all the dwarves
and shit, how far in am I? Narrative seems to be wraping up but it seemed to be wraping up like 3 different times already "
its not 4 crystals its actually 8 crystals DUN DUN DUN
"

I dont even mean that in a bad way btw lol. I have like 14 hours or something, and I hear its not particularly long.

jshackles

Gentlemen, we can rebuild it. We have the capability to make the world's first enhanced store. Steam will be that store. Better than it was before.
In Final Fantasy IV, Im in the
underworld
with
all the dwarves
and shit, how far in am I? Narrative seems to be wraping up but it seemed to be wraping up like 3 different times already "
its not 4 crystals its actually 8 crystals DUN DUN DUN
"

I dont even mean that in a bad way btw lol. I have like 14 hours or something, and I hear its not particularly long.

That's about...
just over half way through the story

Nere

Guys asked on the total war warhammer thread will ask here too though since its more active, a friend of mine wants to buy it on a laptop and wonder if you know if it can run it and how well. He has cpu: i3 5005u (2.0ghrz), 940m 2gb, 4gb ram. I am wondering more about his cpu because I know how heavy warhammer is on that front.

Jawmuncher

I posted my feelings on RE7. Its a long post

Beat the game on normal. Took me 7 hours basically on the dot. I also felt I was exploring pretty well, so I'm surprised by that. So now to get to the nitty gritty of my thoughts (spoiler tagging where applicable). Going to do so by category so it's easier on me.

Gameplay:
Surprising to most, I was fine with the gameplay. This was by far the best aspect of the game. It's definitely the closest they've done replicating the older style, while still doing something new. While the melee isn't the best, you rarely use it outside breaking boxes and such. So much like the older games, the weakness of melee weapons becomes a non-issue. I enjoyed that battles were tense, due to how you'd want to line up the best shot. Only complaint here is maybe the molded take a bit too many hits sometimes, since the gameplay is kinda head shot setups for most combats. But that's a small issue.
The next aspect is the "stalker" enemies people made a big deal about. I liked the concept but they were handled worst than Nemesis. I understand why though. You don't want to force the game into just cat and mouse, since it's just a small part. But in total it affected really only the very beginning of the game. Overall at most, I dealt with stalkers for probably 7 minutes. Was very easy to run past and never have to deal with them. I do want to add that stalker just leaving you alone in a safe room was terribly handled. It's games, but they just forget you exist once you enter one of these room. I had the save room door open, and jack just stood there. They really should have made a canon reason why they couldn't go into these rooms.
The gameplay loop I enjoyed much like older games. Stuff like the ammo crafting (which was now crafting for other items as well), was a nice. Also felt the puzzles were just right, biggest complaint there was way too many shadow puzzles.
VHS tapes were dissapointing. I appreciate what they were trying to do. An optional way to tell the player info. But I felt all of the tapes were weak in both story and gameplay. The best one being the one we all played numerous times from the demo.
There is a shift near the last quarter of the game, that to me didn't feel that out of place. Was very reminiscent of how older RE games usually climax near the end. Though I will say a certain part dragged on for a bit too long
both the VHS of the boat and the boat in general were a bore. Felt like someone NEEDED, to shove a boat into the game

Graphics:
Graphics were good. Playing on PC with a 1060, I was able to keep everything at 60FPS and everything basically on maximum settings. The biggest issue I felt was some of the textures, mainly outside the houses didn't look too hot. I understand why, since not too many people will focus on it. But when you do catch a glimpse of it, it detracts from the experience. There was also a few times where lip syncing was off. Small nitpicks though.

Sound/Music:
Sound was very well done. Played with headphones and it added to the experience. Music was fine, does its job but nothing memorable.

Scares:
I felt the game was rather lacking here. The biggest scares "if you could even call them that", were from very soft jump scares. Where there wasn't a loud sound, but something was suddenly in your face.
The best scares/atmosphere were
the kids room area
and jack hunting you in the beginning of the game. There were also some other nice subtle ones, such as unexpected
enemy introductions. Second form of Margaret being a good example
. Overall was a better attempt than the Revelation games. But I personally don't feel it's a big factor of the game. Though i know that's now the case for a lot of people.

Story:
This is where most of my beef lies. I know a lot of people are gonna go "you play RE for story? And all that". But yes this is an important factor to me for a mainline title. I'm just gonna spoiler tag all of it though. So unless you have beaten the game skip this.
im more or less just gonna start from the beginning.
I felt the beginning was weak. I know a lot of people like it, but it felt way too forced. A lot of it felt way too much like "Look how brutal this is! Isn't this scary?" Also didn't help that they try to force these two characters on who, trying to get a connection. However both are about as interesting as a plank of wood. Mia at least gets a bit more development on the boat with her VHS tape. But it doesn't help her cahacter overall. Ethan fell victim to what I exactly thought he would. He's a mostly silent protagonist with some quips here and there. He's lucky to have found another person as boring as himself with Mia. Neither of these characters can hold a candle to the older cast. Even when just taking the older casts first appearance only. Back to the beginning, I could feel the evil dead influence. But when ethan has a knife go through his hand, or gets his hand cut off and it's only a minor annoyance. I'm taken out of the experience. This is supposed to be our regular joe? A character who's taking damage better than out mainline heroes? Since this is before he even uses any medical liquid.
However once you're at the dinner table, I felt this entire area was the best part of the game, and the most feeling like RE to me. While also being its own thing. Jack just coming around the corner was handled flawlessly, in that situation I felt like a regular joe character. Then the boss fight in the garage was ace as well. That was a great blend of horror and comedy. Then his second boss fight with the chainsaw, while a little wonky. Was still really cool. Pretty much anything Human Jack was A+ gaming.
Margarette however I felt was very uninteresting. Her whole gimmick is bugs, and it makes her section pretty boring. Wasting a flamethrower to kill hives, and her other bugs just had no effect on me. All of her fights I felt weren't handled well. Both the pit and her second forms are fights I have no interest in ever playing again.
Luke I think was interesting enough. I liked how he wanted to play games, though I wasn't a fan of the barn fight setup. But stuff like him setting up traps was fine. Kinda indifferent. But since he lives, he could be put to some good use easily.
Zoe was another case like Ethan and Mia. Which made the choice of serum laughable. "Which character with no devlopment should get this serum?". Hopefully DLC explains more of her. But the game as is doesn't make her more than a prop to advance the story with no redeeming qualities.
Mutated jack was where the game started to fall apart for me. I liked the idea of a BOW that talks and such. But the problem here is that a lot of the monster designs I think are just terrible. This is one of my biggest gripes with the game. Granted this has been a problem with RE for awhile, but in 7 it especially shows. Molded is a cool idea, but when everything is just black masses of varying sizes and postures it's hard to care. Jack especially falls victim just being a large mass of blackness with orange eyes all over him.

As I mentioned above, the boat section however is when the entire game falls apart. Not gameplay wise, but story wise for me. Eveline is just absolutely terrible in every regard. Really dislike how her powers work, and how she affects the story. When ethan is captured and there's a whole cutscenes humanizing the bakers, I could roll my eyes back any further. Yeah we know they were humans once. We didn't need to know, and add ridiculous powers to a character. This was a case where less would have been more. I would have easily preferred just an experiment gone wrong with that family who were unknown test subjects and such. Regardless what I would want. The bakers being humanized and being the victims of more or less mind control from a BOW is a jump the shark moment in my eyes. More so than chris redfield ever punching any boulder. This was also a issue I had with Revelations 2. Where the writing team seems to wants to go past just grotesque monsters. It's just an angle to RE I just absolutely hate. So yeah Evelin, much like Natalia/Alex Wesker in Rev 2 ruined a lot of good will I had towards the games story. This shift to me feels too far removed from RE for me personally. Which overall is a big issue I had with the game. Not counting the gameplay, and factoring only story. The story didn't feel like a RE game to me because of all the eveline stuff."

Overall:
Not a bad game. Gameplay wise I like it more than both Revelations titles which I hold as the lowest titles in the series. However the story and some other factors (none of them being the actual gameplay) hurt it a lot in my eyes from being great. Capcom has the gameplay down especially in the first part of the game.(though I still want my action). But I pray they do a better job with future stories. The story here is more offensive than anything RE5 and 6 brought to the table. Hell it reminds me a lot of MGS4, which was another fine game that had a story that absolutely rubbed me in the wrong way.

ezodagrom

Oh, wow, Atelier Sophie and Nights of Azure have prices now, I really wasn't expecting this, they're 30€/$30/£25 each.

I was expecting like 50€~60€ for each, probably gonna wait for the bundle to be up.

kagamin

Oh, wow, Atelier Sophie and Nights of Azure have prices now, I really wasn't expecting this, they're 30€/$30/£25 each.

I was expecting like 50€~60€ for each, probably gonna wait for the bundle to be up.

Always good to have you around ezo, I'm thinking about grabbing them myself, that's a good price but I want to know how the ports are.

So RE7 is like the size of Leon's RE6 campaign.

No one gave me a separate forum for stupid comic book and anime shit that well-adjusted adults don't care about, so everyone else is going to have to suffer through the grim reality of progress and dignity turning to ash in their mouths

Graphic novels.

jediyoshi

"Added editing of configurations when offline. When attempting to edit users will be informed that any offline edits will not be clouded, but will be automatically saved to a local save. When returning to online mode, the previously clouded configuration will be restored, but all local edits will still be available via the locally exported save. "

Don't think I've ever read saved to the cloud as 'clouded' before this.

Lain

47,98€ for both? Is this really the KT we know and love?
Nevermind, bought.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom