• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

STEAM | January 2017 - Time to get GAMEDUMPED

Status
Not open for further replies.

rtcn63

Now that I think about, I did not like the scanning for items in Rev1. Intentional padding for what was originally a 3DS title.

Rev2 pointing isn't that much better either.

morningbus

Serious Sam is a wicked gahbidge series for chowdaheads.
But they're all better than Dino Crisis. :V

RZLDjSB.jpg

Nzyme32

I think this is the first time I have received an arbitrary PM from someone about a single post I made in the Star Citizen thread, insinuating I am a cultist of the game along with a vast majority since they can't find a particular update.

Who bloody cares.

I have to wonder if I should even be using GAF sometimes since I apparently don't care about games enough or don't seem to have the correct opinion based on my own experiences and choices.

Vazra

irresponsible vagina leak
I think this is the first time I have received an arbitrary PM from someone about a single post I made in the Star Citizen thread, insinuating I am a cultist of the game along with a vast majority since they can't find a particular update.

Who bloody cares.

I have to wonder if I should even be using GAF sometimes since I apparently don't care about games enough or don't seem to have the correct opinion based on my own experiences and choices.

The less you pay attention to the people who are too dead serious about the games the better. I learned to not delve too far from some key threads and thats about it with the rare occasion of dropping in other threads Im interested talking

Anno

Star Citizen threads are almost universally awful. I want the industry to be more open about how games are made and decisions along the way and expose the ugly process that miraculously hammers out a working game. Sadly people can't seem to handle that being exposed too well.

rtcn63

Bioshock 2 crashed two more times. 2K games don't care.

And man, the chainsaw guy in RE6 was pathetic compared to the previous two games. I remember facing him for the first time and thinking he was made out of paper.

Nzyme32

The less you pay attention to the people who are too dead serious about the games the better. I learned to not delve too far from some key threads and thats about it with the rare occasion of dropping in other threads Im interested talking

Yeah. I think this is pretty much the only thread worth being in anyway, and the added bonus of being away from the feral fanboyism that seems rife on the gaming side, as well as obsession with over competitiveness / npd number crunching / numberwang exclusive lists / grass-gate and other dramas.

Star Citizen threads are almost universally awful. I want the industry to be more open about how games are made and decisions along the way and expose the ugly process that miraculously hammers out a working game. Sadly people can't seem to handle that being exposed too well.

And that's another thing. Seems a running thing, with the mix of those super into it and those so vehemently against it having not bought it or even playing on the platform (as with any thread), with little understanding of what the development process is like I reality and how varied that can be with different scale projects. More so such threads are rarely respectful of the casual person interested in backing an interesting project with throw away money, who only plays it rarely with friends in favour of going in on the finished product and no care as to when or if it happens since it is throwaway money supportive of a developer who's previous games I liked. Cultist mastermind right here.

Indeed.

zkylon

zkylewd
finishing doom quickly yesterday let me wrap up most of what i wanted to get. i don't really have time to make fancy gfx or long writeups for every game so just wrote down some of my favorite moments of each of my gotys and a bit about the witness and that's about it!

JYrjddP.png

2016 was weird, i played less games than any other year before, i think, but i played some really long ones so i guess that compensates

if there's one game that defined my year it's easily the witness. it's a game that went from causing me motion sickness and frustrating me with its metaphysical nonsense to completely taking over my life to the point of obsession. i spent half my playthrough thinking "there must be more to this" and that's when i saw one of those puzzles and it was just the most amazing of revelations, this whole other dimension existed right in front of my eyes and was now wide open and within my reach. the game dug deep and deep and kept mutanting and combining and inventing right until the last panel.

then there's the challenge, which, in contrast with the rest of the game, is a loud and bombastic conclusion, a demonstration of your mastery and the moment where you're just ascended into jonathan blow status

it's a fascinating game and even months after putting it down i can't stop thinking about how creative and clever and magical it is.

ok with my love for the witness out of the way, my 10 games of 2016 as told by my favorite moments:

1. the witness
  • the first time i saw one of those puzzles and i felt as my mind had unlocked another dimension
  • when i realized i could 'see the matrix' and found myself solving puzzles with unnatural ease
  • completing the challenge, easily one of the most stressful and intense gaming moments i've ever experience and completing it felt like the culmination of an epic story of months of struggling to understand my feelings about the game
  • the months after finishing the game in which i kept seeing line mazes everywhere around me
  • finding the fantastic
    brian moriarty talk
    and how it's tied to the puzzles
2. dragon's dogma
  • every time i found a hidden chest just tucked in the side of a road you don't normally visited
  • when i forgot to deliver the final piece of evidence that would save fournival's head and i saw him executed only because of my dumbness. whoops!
  • this one fight i had against one of those purple golems that i was clearly underleveled for and lasted around 20 minutes of me just desperately chipping away its healthbar while ocassionally being tossed around like a ragdoll
  • when i discovered that wind is a mechanic because the designers of this game were insane
  • when quina got randomly chosen as my "beloved" and how in the following cutscene i just sort of got distracted and she got killed by goblins?
3. stardew valley
  • when my hate for marriage as a concept got reinforced by growing resentful of maru not a week after we got married
  • my romantic balloon ride with harvey... fuck i should've married harvey...
4. darkest dungeon
  • when i renamed all my soldiers back from friends' names cos i knew they weren't long for this world, and if they were, it wasn't gonna be an enjoyable ride for them
5. inside
  • that entire final sequence, not gonna say more than that
  • BONUS: arguably the biggest plot twist of the year, finding out after the credits that this game was made in unity
6. dark souls 3
  • when i defeated the abyss watchers and felt the sense of triumph that reminded me that dark souls is still dark souls
7. hitman
  • i threw a coin to lure the guard protecting the target into the adjacent room, but the target himself walked in instead. biggest laugh a videogame got out of me in 2017
8. abzu
  • the moment i saw the giant squid and felt like i had grown yet another phobia
9. va11-ha11-a
  • when i realized i knew the bar patrons' favorite drinks and how to make them by memory
10. xcom 2
  • being one red bleep from a game over screen and crucially completing the mission that defused that whole nightmare and marked the beginning of my comeback

honorable mentions:
- doom for being a really fun shooter and you don't need much more
- 1979 revolution: black friday for being a game about politics
- ladykiller in a bind for being a really cool christine love game that i should've played more. it's ok, it releases on steam in 2017 so i'll vote for it next year :>
- league of legends isn't on steam (they wish!) but it's the bestest game ever and i love it so very much and there was a new season in 2016 that surely counts as a new game right!?!?

wish i had played awards:
- tyranny
- that dragon, cancer

fuck you award:
- dishonored 2 for running like shit and somehow making your characters even less likeable than in disho1

----

phew...

i know it's only 5 but whatever, i make my own rules >:3

Tektonic

For those thinking there are cultist-antitype people in star citizen threads, I warn you. Don't go into star wars force awakens threads. I think it's any with "star" in the name

Scary stuff.

Volimar

For those thinking there are cultist-antitype people in star citizen threads, I warn you. Don't go into star wars force awakens threads. I think it's any with "star" in the name

Scary stuff.

Star Trek Online had some pretty cool heads back when I played.

Grief.exe

There's likely some genuinely informed posts in that thread, but one of the underlying problems of NeoGAF is the signal to noise ratio has gotten out of control.

From zkylon's post, is that orange sword actually in DD? I don't remember getting anything even half as cool. Then again, my dude used daggers.

I wish they manage to make the monospeaker and at least the trackpad and motion movement of the DualShock 4 work on Steam. I thougth multiplatform games that use such features already have the lines written in the source code from which they can take advantage. Still we didn't even get trigger rumble from Xbox One controller on PC to ask for this.

Knurek

There's likely some genuinely informed posts in that thread, but one of the underlying problems of NeoGAF is the signal to noise ratio has gotten out of control.

Well, we do live in a post-fact society.
Talking from your assgut is more important than being factually correct.
That and Russia can get you elected for president, so yea...

Tektonic

Well, we do live in a post-fact society.
Talking from your assgut is more important than being factually correct.
When the biggest news institutions are reporting and spreading fake news (thanks to clickbait being more valuable than actual journalism) what hope mere mortals?

Tellaerin

After having played Triad Wars like crazy, I finally played and 100% completed Sleeping Dogs: Definitive Edition. Just awesome. I still hope there will be a sequel one day, even tho by some other devs. RIP UFG :(

I started playing that not long ago, and I'm loving it so far. Tone, setting, combat, it's all hitting the right notes for me. Really what I wanted from an open-world game.

Star Trek Online had some pretty cool heads back when I played.

STO's still pretty chill. One of the only MMOs I bother to keep playing, mainly because it's so solo-friendly.

Ludens

Banned
ModBot said:
Instructions for Ludens:
Press the quote button to the left of this PM, select the quoted text, copy, and paste in the thread. You can remove these lines from the version you paste.

Instructions for participants:
I am giving away a Steam key. To enter this giveaway, send a PM to ModBot with any subject line. In the body, copy and paste the entire line from the message below containing the game you want to enter for. Confused? Watch this GIF tutorial or ask for help.
Want to make your own ModBot giveaway? Click here for a quick tutorial thread. Please give generously.

ModBot Basics:
- I really appreciate thank you messages, but please send them to me (Ludens, not ModBot!) via PM instead of in thread.
- Do not trade keys you win off-site to enrich yourself. Don't try to claim games you have no interest in collecting or playing. Don't claim games to give them to friends off-site.
- If the key is already taken you will not receive a reply. Replies may take a minute or two.

Disc Jam Beta -- MB-9F20A6F85C641FD8 - Taken by Vuze
Enjoy

dex3108

I didn't think I was going to watch this video, but I ended up watching the entire thing. The vast technical gulf between Dead Rising 1 and 4.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=UUxJpDtg0Bs

I commented in that threat so I will repeat myself here too. Would doing 1:1 copy of those small things be acceptable in 2016? I have feeling that players would expect more and than those small things will require way more dev time than Capcom had. I won't say is it bad or good that they went this route but I can understand why they did it.

Anteater

From zkylon's post, is that orange sword actually in DD? I don't remember getting anything even half as cool. Then again, my dude used daggers.

isn't that just a sword with fire enchantment? not sure why it looks orange without the glow effects tho

edit: oo I guess they're the ones with the elemental built in like zky said

zkylon

zkylewd
btw sorry that this format is so shitty and lame to read but i felt it was the only way i could've gotten something done by that date lol

i like the idea of summarizing my favorite games around my favorite moments but it just looks super shitty on neogaf's regular text format

what can u do

yeah, there are some elemental weapons like that fire sword or some electricity daggers

they look super cool

Hmm... maybe I got electric daggers. Elemental weapons in video games kind of blend together at this point.

In any case, thanks for the info.

...I should replay DDDA.

You know, the real reason there's no HL3 is because Alyx Vance has been stuck in BG&E2's development hell all this time. Valve simply couldn't replace her, which has stalled development.

Like, can't have a 4-player co-op survival-action game without one of the characters, right? (Gordon, Barney, Alyx, and Dog.) All the microtransactions being left on the floor would be criminal for someone like Valve.

zkylon

zkylewd
Hmm... maybe I got electric daggers. Elemental weapons in video games kind of blend together at this point.

In any case, thanks for the info.

...I should replay DDDA.
electric daggers you get near the end of the game, the fire sword i got tons of those over my playthrough

elemental weapons are the best

coming here to shill for Beyond good and evil!

edit: oops pressed submit by mistake, give me a sec with the screenshot spam

i really wish i liked beyond good and evil more

Uzzy

Is that true about the characters in dishonored 2? That's a shame.

They're not as good as Dishonoured 1. The home base you're in isn't as occupied as the pub, which at least felt lively. Most of the assassination targets aren't that interesting either.

The story is rather weak too. It just kinda throws you into it at the start, and doesn't do much to improve on that poor start. Most of the story is told through cutscenes between missions, or the main characters internal dialogue. Some more people to interact with and help develop the story arc and character arcs would have helped.

It doesn't help that you're introduced to the main targets instantly, so you know exactly who you have to take out. Not that every game needs a twist, but it'd have been nice if the story wasn't a straightforward one.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom