• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

STEAM | July 2014 – 25TH THREAD EDITION (2008-2014)

Status
Not open for further replies.
Good day GAF

arnold-schwarzenegger-conan-the-barbarian-movie-image-21.jpg
iboPUXmm4l3GJt.gif

Sarcasm

Divinity: Original Sin has some pretty big issues with its interface. For example, to repair your equipment, you need to remove it first. Then you need to find a character who would be willing to repair it*, barter with them, move the equipment into your offerings box and press the repair button. However, the character that is bartering will need to have an appropriate amount in the inventory, otherwise they wouldn't be able to pay for the repairs. You can switch between characters when bartering, but for some reason you can't transfer items (including gold) between them as usual, which means you'll have to close the bartering interface, transfer gold and/or items and then do it again. In other words, it's a mess, like the whole inventory management in this game.

*I actually had to google this one. There is no blacksmith in Cyseal, so I had no idea where to look for an NPC who would offer such services. Turns out any legionnaire on the street can do it if you barter with them, which does not make any sense.

Can also put one point in blacksmith and but a hammer to do it yourself. Can repair while still equipped unless it is another character.

Tenrius

While reading Original Sin-related topics I saw this thread with someone complaining that there's "too much non-combat" in the game. Wow! I actually feel there's too much combat, because literally everywhere you go outside of the city you run into enemy encounters. I really wish they could learn more from Baldur's Gate and/or Planescape: Torment.

The amount of (mostly random) loot you get is also ridiculous and shows the game's Diablo-clone heritage. Combined with unwieldy inventory management, it's my least favorite aspect of the game.

I'd like an actual tag feature. Adding just another "tag" to my system would double the amount of categories. And an exponential curve is a dangerous thing indeed.

Arthea

I think, I begin to understand why mostly I rage and rave about steam horrible genre system. It does seem most people don't care. That's really hard to understand, for me that is.

Mono

Does anyone remember back when your list view of Steam games didn't even scroll?

My poor wallet.

through 1300 games? Are you insane? (><)
Categorization saves time, a lot of it and game search system is useless, like totally.

It always works for me! What do you mean? :O

I think, I begin to understand why mostly I rage and rave about steam horrible genre system. It does seem most people don't care. That's really hard to understand, for me that is.
I just keep my view at installed and make the seldom venture into all games when something else needs installing. Games is games, I like to keep it simple.

Adnor

Banned
Man I don't have the patience to organize everything, I just press ctrl+f and type the name of the game I want to play, so much easier.

Autofokus

through 1300 games? Are you insane? (><)
Categorization saves time, a lot of it and game search system is useless, like totally.

Depending on your gaming habits, I would say.
I always want to play game X, not 'I'm in the mood for an RTS, Racer, whatever'. So, the search box is my best friend.

tylerf

I'd categorize them if it wasn't such a gigantic hassle to manually click through a menu for each game. Not to mention the possibility of all the categories being suddenly wiped out. Dunno if they ever fixed that bug.

Arthea

valiant hearts was a weird little game...
Is it your longest post?

I was surprised by caricature baron as much as you, probably. It's so out of place and out of context.
I thought puzzle part is OK, though, I might change my opinion as I'm far from the end still.

JaseC

gave away the keys to the kingdom.
I'd categorize them if it wasn't such a gigantic hassle to manually click through a menu for each game. Not to mention the possibility of all the categories being suddenly wiped out. Dunno if they ever fixed that bug.

Use Depressuriser. As for disappearing categories, just back up your userdata\[account id]\7\remote\sharedconfig.vdf file after you make changes so you can restore it if Steam decides to delete your category information.

Sendou

Is it your longest post?

I was surprised by caricature baron as much as you, probably. It's so out of place and out of context.
I thought puzzle part is OK, though, I might change my opinion as I'm far from the end still.

The game peaks at the end in my opinion. I didn't mind the baron myself. He seems like such a huge deal at that one point but then you realize what a completely irrevelant character he is. Puzzles are pretty mediocre.

AHA-Lambda

valiant hearts was a weird little game

it's very hard to agree with myself if i like it or not.

like you can't deny it's absolutely gorgeous and just applaud making a game set in ww1 that's not about killing people. the characters were great and it was filled with little moving moments that i think in the end tell a better story than the one on the actual "script". i really love the codex thingie, i love learning those little bits of useless stuff, it's such a good way to give you tools to then look at the images on the screen and add some more meaning to them.

there's also the mega evil german kaiser antagonist dude that's the craziest most jarring shit they could've come up with. what was the point of that character, every time he shows up all the mood that's been built up over the game just flies out the window and only for a shitty revenge story that's as lame as it gets. did this game really need a villain?

and then there are the puzzles, which reminded me a lot of the cave's puzzles, in how making puzzle solving a linear thing turns the whole thing into a tedious walking around bore. broken age has a little bit of this, serious matter games don't work 100% ok with the adventure genre, at least not on my experience, and in the end it gets in the way and just dilutes the whole thing.

i also have a few issues with how easy they let off the french (i mean at one point they're almost praising the french for having colonies ffs) but it does a better job than most at not demonizing the germans every chance they get. caricature baron villain dude didn't help for sure.

valiant hearts is still mostly worth playing, i love everything that makes me cry but i wish it had been a bit tighter, just a shorter game with a bit less puzzling and running around looking for wrenches and rocks.

I agree with a lot of this, ultimately I have to say I was disappointed with it overall.

As much as I love the concept (and it's definitely a fairly original idea in video games), the gameplay is so mundane it draws the game out to the point of tedium. I was already getting a bit over the puzzle gameplay by the end of chapter 1 before realising there are another 3 to go!

I'm still very grateful to the gaffer who gifted me his RU copy though as I did definitely want to play it!

Fargos great. 3 episodes in.

That looks like Sherlock.

Casimir

Unconfirmed Member
Divinity: Original Sin has some pretty big issues with its interface. For example, to repair your equipment, you need to remove it first.

This is false. The second category button to the left of your party member's inventory, in the barter window, will switch to the currently equipped equipment. You can tell the merchant to repair them while they are equipped. Clicking on the other buttons will cycle through the other categories of content in your inventory.

You can switch between characters when bartering, but for some reason you can't transfer items (including gold) between them as usual, which means you'll have to close the bartering interface, transfer gold and/or items and then do it again.

The game supports Drop in/Drop out co-op.

*I actually had to google this one. There is no blacksmith in Cyseal, so I had no idea where to look for an NPC who would offer such services. Turns out any legionnaire on the street can do it if you barter with them, which does not make any sense.

You can pay most merchants to repair your armor, some of the flavor merchants like the cheese vendor will not repair equipment; it doesn't have to be a Legionnaire. Who ever told you this has no idea what they're talking about.

Oh man, Broforce is awesome. And it's only in alpha? Can't wait to see what else gets added!
It really is awesome. I only wish you could pick the bro you start missions with, or not auto-switch to another when rescuing them. If only because Indy and Blade are pretty bad and I hate starting as them.

Jadax

I wouldn't bother with the DDE as the only piece of tangible content it comes with is a single map. As for how much to pay, it was most recently 75% off, so assuming you intend to buy the game the next time it's on sale, I'd say no more than 2.5 (two TF2 keys and a Tour of Duty ticket/CS:GO sticker capsule key). You may be able to find someone who stocked up on spares during the Summer Sale, however people generally do this to sell them for an even higher profit during a full-price period.

Yes, if a bit rough around the corners. Only if you like behind the scenes documents, soundtracks, and videos discussing game development, and an extra map and skin. The game was $15 recently, so that should be a place to start.

Thanks. Ended up getting the normal version for 2k - not sure if it was alright or not.

lashman

Steam-GAF's Official Ambassador to Gaming-GAF
ModBot said:
Instructions for participants:
I am giving away 5 Steam keys. To enter this giveaway, send a PM to ModBot with any subject line. In the body, copy and paste the entire line below that corresponds to the key you want (if you include more than one game, you will be blocked from entering).

Rules for this Giveaway:
- If you are a lurker--if you have both fewer than five posts in this thread--you are not eligible for this giveaway.
- Do not trade keys you win off-site to enrich yourself. Don't try to claim games you have no interest in collecting or playing. Don't claim games to give them to friends off-site.
- If the key is already taken you will not receive a reply. Replies may take a minute or two:

Thomas Was Alone -- MB-DDD8A5B8046AB443
Thomas Was Alone #2 -- MB-DC191D38BDDF6306 - Taken by Sky Chief
Thomas Was Alone #3 -- MB-CE5D748159733A8A
Thomas Was Alone #4 -- MB-42F535DC1667ADEC - Taken by Bel_Air_Jeff
Thomas Was Alone #5 -- MB-A58E709FB13B6013

here you go, guys :)

Casimir

Unconfirmed Member
here you go, guys :)

Whoa. If anyone hasn't played Thomas was alone, they really should enter this giveaway. Game is light on puzzles, but the characterization is superb.

Also, just a heads up lashman, most of GAF seems to be located in NA/SA so right now there are not as many people viewing the boards.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom