• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

STEAM | July 2014 – 25TH THREAD EDITION (2008-2014)

Status
Not open for further replies.
The difficulty curve in SteamWorld Dig is insane, this game seems to have gotten really hard about 2.5 hours in. I was breezing through it so far and just seem to have hit a wall literally and figuratively in this game.

BadRamen

The difficulty curve in SteamWorld Dig is insane, this game seems to have gotten really hard about 2.5 hours in. I was breezing though it so far and just a wall literally and figuratively in this game.

Funny enough, I just went through and beat it myself, starting a few days ago.

Out of curiosity, what part is giving you trouble?

Funny enough, I just went through and beat it myself, starting a few days ago.

Out of curiosity, what part is giving you trouble?

Around when the mechanized/electrical part of the game started, those wall turrets in particular are giving me a hard time, I spec into drilling and inventory and kind of ignored health and water so it's making it much harder than it should be.

Tizoc

Is Killer is Dead any good? Got tons of hype before it came out.

It was my GotY 2013 and I am willing to nominate it my GotY 2014 again due to steam ver.
There is a simple fix that'll have it running at 60 FPS and at ANY resolution you want.
Gameplay is simple but fun, and the game isn't too long.

Shadownet

Banned
Mediocre, nice visuals, short and repetitive game-play

Like action games, abstract stories, and unique visual styles? get it. The port needs a very little bit of tweaking if you want 60fps, but if you're cool with 30 the game runs fine out of the box.

Ehh sounds like a bad Devil May Cry knock off in term of gameplay and visual, may wait for a sale.
--------
Anyone heard of this indie coming out called the Escapists?

Its a prison escape game, idk why but prison escape games alway catches my interest. This look like it could be fun.

BadRamen

Around when the mechanized/electrical part of the game started, those wall turrets in particular are giving me a hard time, I spec into drilling and inventory and kind of ignored health and water so it's making it much harder than it should be.

A bit of confidence:
Try using the steam punch to take out the wall laser turrets. A fully charged punch, even at its nonunpgraded form, can kill a turret in one hit, plus it has dat range! :D

A bit of confidence:
Try using the steam punch to take out the wall laser turrets. A fully charged punch, even at its nonunpgraded form, can kill a turret in one hit, plus it has dat range! :D

Yeah I need to get used to using it more, it took me forever to get into the habit of using the
drill and water jump/sprint

AngerdX

Escapist looks intresting, 3 more days i think then i can get my grubby little hands on it. :)

As for that Prisonscape, not sure on that. heh

Will keep an eye on it tho

JaseC

gave away the keys to the kingdom.
Hmm, I suppose Earth: Year 2066 isn't coming back after all: Valve reinstated the store page after pulling the game, but emptied the Early Access description section, so presumably it was going to be purchaseable again after the developer submitted a more honest explanation of the game's current state and future plans, however said store page no longer exists.

KenOD

a kinder, gentler sort of Scrooge
I want the opposite, a game where you work to keep prisons contained and preventing them from escape. A Dungeon Keeper type game in modern settings I guess.

Yes I know Prison Architecture exists, but something more streamlined to the idea.

FtHTiny

After the first level of Ikaruga i thought: "Hm, this isn´t so bad."
The game ramped up so fast i didn´t even know what happened.

Shadownet

Banned
Haha, yeah the names not great, game looks interesting at least.

Yeah if you get past the name, it does look interesting, definitely more mature sprite looking characters than the escapists.

Does anyone here play Paper Please?

Apparently you play as a border guard? I heard some gafers talking about it.

Caerith

Yeah if you get past the name, it does look interesting, definitely more mature sprite looking characters than the escapists.

It's a pretty popular rougelike.

Papers Please is great, really love that game, it's a good relaxing game to play while listening to podcasts or something and it's got some pretty funny parts to it too.

Yrael

Yeah, you work as a border guard for a dystopian and oppressive regime. Your job for the most part simply involves checking entrants' entry papers and details for false/conflicting information, and determining whether or not they're eligible to pass over the border. It's surprisingly enjoyable and at times very moving.

After the first level of Ikaruga i thought: "Hm, this isn´t so bad."
The game ramped up so fast i didn´t even know what happened.

Yeah, there's no real difficulty curve in Ikaruga. First chapter is super easy, second is more difficult but still manageable aside from the wave patterns towards the middle, but from three on its just "holy shit wtf this is impossible" out of nowhere.

Enco

I love anything where there's a prison escape.

That's why Prison Break is one of my favorite TV shows of all time. Dat tension. Dat planning. So good. Shame we haven't got a half decent prison escape game.

JaseC

gave away the keys to the kingdom.

That's why Prison Break is one of my favorite TV shows of all time. Dat tension. Dat planning. So good. Shame we haven't got a half decent prison escape game.

It's a pity the Prison Break game isn't on Steam. :(

Berlok

Thanks tombstone for Crysis 2!

Here's my small contribution to the thread. First time creating a giveaway, hope it works!

ModBot said:
Instructions for participants:
I am giving away a Steam key. To enter this giveaway, send a PM to ModBot with any subject line. In the body, copy and paste the entire line below containing the key.

Rules for this Giveaway:
-
ad5hOev.png
7zwunRg.png
It's ModBot's birthday! Celebrate by giving out something other than bundle garbage today!
7zwunRg.png
ad5hOev.png

- This giveaway is a raffle. The winners will be selected by random draw 24 hours after the draw was created. Any games not claimed after that point will be given away first come first serve.
- Do not trade keys you win off-site to enrich yourself. Don't try to claim games you have no interest in collecting or playing. Don't claim games to give them to friends off-site.
- If the key is already taken you will not receive a reply. Replies may take a minute or two:

Serious Sam HD: The First Encounter -- MB-5471D0F15398F2B5 - Taken by Kayant. 2 entrants total.

t1404725179z1.png

Indignate

Escape from Butcher Bay, a game in which you escape from Butcher Bay, a prison.

Tizoc

Ehh sounds like a bad Devil May Cry knock off in term of gameplay and visual, may wait for a sale.

It was on sale during the Summer Sale, I made a giveaway of it that ended hours ago.
...and I don't know if I'd call it a DMC-like game. It's a hack n' slash but with emphasis on dodging and blocking enemy attacks to give you an extra edge in battling enemies.

Corrosive, post that KiD WEBM please.

Dr Dogg

I feel so stupid. Really early in Shovel Knight when you get to the first village you speak to a very affable kid called the Goatician offers you an item to upgrade your health which you give to the guy above him, the Gastronomer who will add 1 extra slot to your health bar. I thought it was odd after doing this my health was still at 4 and not 5 but you know whatever. Well when I got a second Meal Ticket the Gastronomer wasn't giving the right dialogue lines. I thought "cheeky git I got the item in my inventory". Turns out he cooks you a meal you have to flip the cover with you shovel and eat to get the upgrade. I feel like such a berk going through 3 stages on default health when I could have saved a lot of hastle. Ah well must mean I'm a pro or something.

Speaking of which some of the achievements are brutal. I'm not sure if it's going to be really fun or torture trying to max Shovel Knight out. A level destroying all checkpoints? Yeah doable. The whole game? Yeah that might take time. Finish the game without getting hit? That might be super hard.

I'm usually in a mumble room with friends, so I use one touchpad button for push-to-talk, and the other for screenshots. If I want to use it as a mouse, I just do a two finger swipe and it switches ds4 profiles for me. It's pretty slick.

Damn it Nabs! That sounds really slick and has me more tempted than ever to grab a DS4 now. Though I might hold out for the prices to be to a sensible level (fat chance this way though).

Shadownet

Banned
Yeah, you work as a border guard for a dystopian and oppressive regime. Your job for the most part simply involves checking entrants' entry papers and details for false/conflicting information, and determining whether or not they're eligible to pass over the border. It's surprisingly enjoyable and at times very moving.

www.youtube.com/watch?v=Ie_reImGosQ

This guy did a pretty funny commentary on the game. Lol

Prison Break was sooo good! I loved it so much. My senior yearbook quote was "Preparation will only take you so far. After that you gotta take a few leaps of faith.

Allow me to derail just once because I think this is important, but here's your request shadownet:

http://abload.de/img/saoirsesanta0wjz4.jpg

Thank you! I'm surprised you saw it. I thought it got buried like 20 pages ago! :D

If you're not on my friends list yet<3 I must add you!

Indignate

I actually have that but haven't played it.

Does it involve a stealthy escape? Planning?

No planning on your end. It's a lineal game. There is a lot of stealth involved, being a Riddick property, and there's a couple times where you'll be in somewhat hublike areas where you'll be able to do side quest and stuff for your fellow inmates.

It's a really good game and generally considered the best video game adaptation of any movie license.

The Chronicles of Riddick: Escape from Butcher Bay is the all time greatest prison game and The Great Escape game with Steve McQueen on Xbox and PS2(?) was actually pretty good from what I remember,but I as well, wish there were more prison based games though, such a ripe area for games that hasn't been fully explored.

Adry9

Portuguese super atomic death robots exercising a little gunboat diplomacy.

In a failed bid at a cultural victory with Portugal I went for a high score/time victory with Autocracy and could've won a science victory by turn 497. I even managed to research future tech numerous times, which isn't something I normally do going for a hard science victory with Order/Science geared Civs and isn't something I expect out of Autocracy. I didn't even have Patronage (usually a core policy track of a science run for me) but culturally dominating France meant I got a shitton of science from them via trade routes.

I love Civ V BNW's modern and advanced military units (Advanced Armor can upgrade to Super Atomic Death Tanks, Paratroopers become Xcom units) but you rarely get a lot of time to use them. I kind of wish there was a futuristic scenario in Civ V, like the steampunk one, but now it's just waiting for Beyond Earth. I can't wait to make the borg and then "liberate" humanity.
First time playing, after a lot of hours, managed to build myself the biggest army in the world and right when I'm about to go full on conquer mode England achieves a cultural victory. Playing with that victory off since that time.

Free bideo james. Sorry for bundle garbage Modbotty.

ModBot said:
Instructions for PetriP-TNT:
Press the quote button to the left of this PM, select the quoted text, copy, and paste in the thread. You can remove these lines from the version you paste.

Instructions for participants:
I am giving away a Steam key. To enter this giveaway, send a PM to ModBot with any subject line. In the body, copy and paste the entire line below containing the key.

Rules for this Giveaway:
-
ad5hOev.png
7zwunRg.png
It's ModBot's birthday! Celebrate by giving out something other than bundle garbage today!
7zwunRg.png
ad5hOev.png

- Do not trade keys you win off-site to enrich yourself. Don't try to claim games you have no interest in collecting or playing. Don't claim games to give them to friends off-site.
- If the key is already taken you will not receive a reply. Replies may take a minute or two:

Ballpoint Universe - Infinite -- MB-9AD3486CE11BF147 - Taken by schroddycat

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom