• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

STEAM | July 2014 – 25TH THREAD EDITION (2008-2014)

Status
Not open for further replies.

Shengar

With the expansion pack, I think you'd get a good 40 to 50 hours depending upon how meticulous you are. The game without the expansion took about 35 hours with a co-op buddy of mine.

You're looking at around 50 hours at the least (if there's one thing you can't say about the games it's that they're lacking in content). I hope Nordic hits up Crate for a sequel once Grim Dawn's expansion is complete.
Holy shit, it seems I picked the wrong game to breeze through.
From all the game I've bought during Summer Sale, I thought this would be one of the fastest. Ah well, maybe I should just take my time then.
I find that the game's sprawling to a fault -- it seems to go on forever. I began playing through the main campaign again last year and it took me 20 hours to reach the second act. I would have kept going, but I lost my save and didn't feel like starting the journey from the beginning.

This is what I'm feeling right now. The areas is so sprawling and wide, and I can't help myself but to explore it fully, to my own annoyance.

Tektonic

It is done.

hvU8dmx.png

You have leveled this badge to completion.

ArjanN

Yeah, there's no real difficulty curve in Ikaruga. First chapter is super easy, second is more difficult but still manageable aside from the wave patterns towards the middle, but from three on its just "holy shit wtf this is impossible" out of nowhere.

That's pretty much the same difficulty curve every bullethell shooter has. (and yeah I know Ikaruga isn't quite a bullethell shmup, but close enough.)

First level is a freebie, second level you might get by on good reflexes, third level = learn the patterns or die.

It's not like the ramp up could be much slower anyway, because these games are generally less than an hour long. The point is to practice until you master it.

Saty

Some stuff:
ModBot said:
Instructions for participants:
I am giving away 13 Steam keys. To enter this giveaway, send a PM to ModBot with any subject line. In the body, copy and paste the entire line below that corresponds to the key you want (if you include more than one game, you will be blocked from entering).

Rules for this Giveaway:
-
ad5hOev.png
7zwunRg.png
It's ModBot's birthday! Celebrate by giving out something other than bundle garbage today!
7zwunRg.png
ad5hOev.png

- Do not trade keys you win off-site to enrich yourself. Don't try to claim games you have no interest in collecting or playing. Don't claim games to give them to friends off-site.
- If the key is already taken you will not receive a reply. Replies may take a minute or two:

Subject 9 #2 -- MB-B258DCDB51D40D11
Interstellar Marines -- MB-0497EB675CBC0C75 - Taken by demented
Skyward Collapse #2 -- MB-49FA25B7C6E6DCD9
xheRJRF.gif
Takedown: Red Sabre -- MB-F1F3981C5A202925 - Taken by nightstorm
Subject 9 -- MB-3FD258607BDA6D56
Shattered Haven -- MB-F47A1D58281E737C - Taken by thePenguin
Hacker Evolution Duality #2 -- MB-048219B1D3EA4511
Skyward Collapse -- MB-F8F8C260D18109BB - Taken by redlacs
Hacker Evolution Duality -- MB-62302DA6C66235CD - Taken by electroflame
Hacker Evolution: Untold -- MB-542F70235940BD91 - Taken by FauX
Aerena - Clash of Champions -- MB-2BB1E26007C0269D
Hacker Evolution -- MB-15B1D0B694CDDDFC - Taken by Henry Swanson
Gun Monkeys -- MB-7FBD73818F05B047

This guy

Edit: Oh, wow. Their kickstarter was a failure :( This game deserved some attention. Sad to see such promising games failing their kickstarter goals

Yeah, it's surprising since even stuff like this manages to get SOME money:
https://www.kickstarter.com/projects/293441836/hand-picked-skipping-stones
https://www.kickstarter.com/projects/902655470/headflat-the-smartphone-hands-free-solution
https://www.kickstarter.com/projects/1747147409/projektor-make-your-mobile-devices-larger-than-lif (BS project)

D

Deleted member 98878

Unconfirmed Member
Good morning, SteamGaf

ModBot said:
Instructions for participants:
I am giving away a Steam key. To enter this giveaway, send a PM to ModBot with any subject line. In the body, copy and paste the entire line below containing the key.

Rules for this Giveaway:
-
ad5hOev.png
7zwunRg.png
It's ModBot's birthday! Celebrate by giving out something other than bundle garbage today!
7zwunRg.png
ad5hOev.png

- If you are a lurker you are not eligible for this giveaway. You need five or more posts in either the current Steam thread or the previous one to be eligible
- This giveaway is a LIGHTNING raffle. The winners will be selected by random draw 15 minutes after the draw was created. Any games not claimed after that point will be given away first come first serve.
- Do not trade keys you win off-site to enrich yourself. Don't try to claim games you have no interest in collecting or playing. Don't claim games to give them to friends off-site.
- If the key is already taken you will not receive a reply. Replies may take a minute or two:

Crysis Warhead -- MB-05E9AC989FB58E68 - Taken by topyy. 9 entrants total.

t1404643729z1.png

Karu

After buying Dark Souls at the summer sale, I've finally beaten the game!

... and with that I mean the tutorial, which took me insane 70 minutes. ;-)

Totally my game *cough* But even that little, in hindsight easy, first part, showed me a promising glimpse in the future, so I will continue. After 2 years of mentally preparing my patience and figureing out that my PC can actually run the game rather nicely, I'm ready. Probably will give up rather sooner than later, but I hope the little time I will try, is worth it. Being pretty optimistic though.

Dusk Golem

A 21st Century Rockefeller
im-not-alone-2010-front-cover-28814.jpg

Finished "I'm Not Alone", which used to be on Steam. I will just say I can see why they took it down, it wasn't -terrible-, but it was a pretty bad game.

It got a bit better in the last fourth, but still pretty bad.

Rhaknar

The Steam equivalent of the drunk friend who keeps offering to pay your tab all night.
some of these games coming out recently would be considered all time classics if they had come out on the system they are emulating. Obviously Shovel Knight recently made me think this, and now Astebreed also. If this was a PS2 or Dreamcast game, it would be considered a Ikaruga style classic these days with the amount of systems it has going on, the attention to score multipliers but not at the cost of playing / finishing the game (the boss timers for score is a good example of this), the look of it, everything.

Caerith

So... Prime World: Defenders. I played a few hours of it earlier, enough to get all my card drops and stuff, and I plan to play more of it. Here are my impressions:

The first thing I saw when opening Prime World: Defenders is that it's now available on the App Store. "Mother Fucker," I believe were my exact words. I checked the Play Store (or whatever the Android version is) and it's available there, too-- but, let's be honest, if you're going to play a mobile game, you should be playing Love Live.

Despite being on mobile platforms, Prime World: Defenders isn't complete shit. It's a tower defense game that uses a trading card mechanic. You can only use towers and spells you have the cards for. You get cards by completing levels-- the first few levels are a tutorial with set rewards, but later levels have random rewards-- or by buying booster packs with in-game currency. You can also level up your cards by feeding them other cards, or evolve them (so you can upgrade their respective towers) by feeding them the same card. The benefits for leveling cards are significant.

You, the player, gain experience through playing. There are twenty levels, which seem to exist solely to gate access to perks. There isn't a skill tree so much as three classes of skills that can be purchased (with in-game currency) in any order so long as you are of the requisite level. These are things like +10% experience, towers do +5% damage, or +10% silver. Overall, useful.

Where I'm at now, I'm finding that the in-game currency is the main limiting factor. You have two currencies that I'm aware of: silver coins and gold stars. Early on, everything costs silver, but the later stuff looks like it starts costing gold. Perks have a cost. Fusing and evolving has a cost. Booster packs have a cost. There is no IAP, so you might have to grind a bit.

There are 134 achievements. 100 of those are level-specific, things like "complete this level without using spells" or "upgrade at least five towers in this level"-- there are two of these per each of the 50 levels. The other 34 are things general achievements like "build 200 towers" or "reach level 5." The level-specific achievements at least make things interesting.

The game is pretty impressive considering its origins. The graphics are okay (kinda low res textures though), but the music is really nice. If you like tower defense games, you should consider picking it up. If you don't like tower defense games, I'm sorry you read this far.

I got it for $2 during the summer sale (it was -80% with no daily), and it has 5 cards that sell for ~$0.25 each.

Enco

I would say yes personally, but maybe wait until its possible to use it wireless. Its a excellent controller.
Isn't it already wireless?

Good idea if so. Wires suck. Would they release a wireless version or do you mean a mod?

Dr Dogg

Is it worth buying a Xbox ONE controller to replace a 360 controller?

I was having a play around with one the other day and I really didn't get on with the new bumpers and triggers. The dpad is a lot better and the sticks, while feeling a little looser, were more comfortable to use. I just don't see it offering any different than a 360 pad (well unless the rumble triggers get added in a driver update).

I don't think I can wait for the Steam Controller so will probably pick up a Dual Shock 4 (well when they're sub £40 of course) as the added touchpad features are at least something extra over the 360 pad.

Isn't it already wireless?

Good idea if so. Wires suck. Would they release a wireless version or do you mean a mod?

As far as I know the controller itself is already wireless but has to be used wired with a PC because Microsoft doesn't use bluetooth for data transmission so they have to release a receiver dongle first.

Ruruja

As far as I know the controller itself is already wireless but has to be used wired with a PC because Microsoft doesn't use bluetooth for data transmission so they have to release a receiver dongle first.

Can't you use the receiver dongle they released for the 360 pad?

masterkajo

I was having a play around with one the other day and I really didn't get on with the new bumpers and triggers. The dpad is a lot better and the sticks, while feeling a little looser, were more comfortable to use. I just don't see it offering any different than a 360 pad (well unless the rumble triggers get added in a driver update).

I don't think I can wait for the Steam Controller so will probably pick up a Dual Shock 4 (well when they're sub £40 of course) as the added touchpad features are at least something extra over the 360 pad.

While I think the DS4 is an excellent PC controller, I am just not quite happy with all the different Tools that allow it to work on PC.

Currently, I am using the DS4 to XInput Mapper 1.2.2. by InhexSTER which seems to work the best for me. Though it has some stupid quirks like when you ALT+TAB to it it just vanishes from your tray icons but is still running in the background. Also, there is no more official support for it.

The DS4Windows always crashes on updating for me.

DS4Tool (with the nice GUI) just chrashes randomly for me.

And none support anything like BetterDS3 did which is to allow to emulate Keyboard and Mouse with the controller to a workable degree, I mean. I really did like this feature for watching movies and surfing the web on the couch. I could use Xpadder for that but that is one more program on top of things.

Also, since all of these programs seem to be based around ScarletCrush's DS3 to XInput Wrapper and use these drivers they all seem to occasianlly drop inputs when the DS4 is in exclusive mode (hide DS4 controller) which some games require. There were moments when my character kept running for 2-3 seconds after I let go of the controller or simply didn't respond to a button press.

I would welcome official DS4 drivers from Sony. Anyone have any better experience with one of the other programs? What would you recommend?

Dr Dogg

While I think the DS4 is an excellent PC controller, I am just not quite happy with all the different Tools that allow it to work on PC.

Currently, I am using the DS4 to XInput Mapper 1.2.2. by InhexSTER which seems to work the best for me. Though it has some stupid quirks like when you ALT+TAB to it it just vanishes from your tray icons but is still running in the background. Also, there is no more official support for it.

The DS4Windows always crashes on updating for me.

DS4Tool (with the nice GUI) just chrashes randomly for me.

And none support anything like BetterDS3 did which is to allow to emulate Keyboard and Mouse with the controller to a workable degree, I mean. I really did like this feature for watching movies and surfing the web on the couch. I could use Xpadder for that but that is one more program on top of things.

Also, since all of these programs seem to be based around ScarletCrush's DS3 to XInput Wrapper and use these drivers they all seem to occasianlly drop inputs when the DS4 is in exclusive mode (hide DS4 controller) which some games require. There were moments when my character kept running for 2-3 seconds after I let go of the controller or simply didn't respond to a button press.

I would welcome official DS4 drivers from Sony. Anyone have any better experience with one of the other programs? What would you recommend?

Yikes! That sounds way more convoluted than it needs to be.

Sony are a weird company when it comes to PC, Windows especially. One one hand one of their teams develops Vegas which gets a lot if plaudits but in the other they had another develop the universally hated SecuROM (well be customers at least). I think our best hope might be Android support and have that reverse engineered into better drivers but hey you never know.

Tektonic

as for the spacing, go to Steam/Resource/Layout

open gamespage_grid and change "interiorspacing" from 18 to 00

every time i make that change, when steam restarts it "updates" (as if installing an update), and changes 00 back to 18... ?

fantomena

Btw, peoploe, some pretty cheap prices on Gameliebe.

Murdered: Soul Suspect for 14,90€ (buying now)
Dirt Autosport and Sniper Elite 3 for 29,90€
Dragon Age: Inguqisition for 39,90€

masterkajo

Yikes! That sounds way more convoluted than it needs to be.

Sony are a weird company when it comes to PC, Windows especially. One one hand one of their teams develops Vegas which gets a lot if plaudits but in the other they had another develop the universally hated SecuROM (well be customers at least). I think our best hope might be Android support and have that reverse engineered into better drivers but hey you never know.

Don't get me wrong. This is not as bad as I make it sound here. The dropping of inputs happens rarely like at most once during an evening play session maybe. Most of the time I just disconnect and reconnect the controller and everything works again (though to reconnect the DS4 in "hide DS4 controller" mode you have to quite every program that uses an Xbox controller. So it takes a minute.)

The other two pograms might work fine for someone else as a lot of people use them, apparently. Also, I did only try them for a short time. Maybe there are things that I can do to make them work better. Perhaps it is my PC which is in dire need for a fresh install anyway. I could give them another try. Also, keep in mind that they are worked on currently and get a lot of support and updates which should fix a lot of the problems.

Sub Zero

his body's cold as ice, but he's got a heart of gold

Got Murdered for half that price from a trader
Also you can trade for Autosport and Sniper Elite 3 for much cheaper

Milamber

You can get these 3 with a gold AMD rewards card at about $25 on eBay alone. SteamTrades got some too.

Air, Metro, Pixelvision. Am I the only one who uses the default skin and stays in detailed view?
A lot do, you just don't get people talking about it because it's default. I don't care to bother with skins, I don't need the upkeep of updating them for Steam updates and whatnot when it serves its purpose just fine as-is.

List view forever though.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom