• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

STEAM | July 2014 – 25TH THREAD EDITION (2008-2014)

Status
Not open for further replies.
Ehh sounds like a bad Devil May Cry knock off in term of gameplay and visual, may wait for a sale.
--------
Anyone heard of this indie coming out called the Escapists?

Its a prison escape game, idk why but prison escape games alway catches my interest. This look like it could be fun.

While it's not as deep as a devil may cry game (DmC not included), it's definitely very fun. Have you not watched the footage I put up? :p

It's a ton of fun and the only suda51 game I've ever really liked (I'm pretty sure Suda51 had minimal involvement with Sine Mora).

If there's interest, now that I have finished Sniper Elite 3, I can do a stream sometime.

Shengar

Without a doubt platform games are the ones I have must trouble/difficulty but I find this simply amazing:

5XLUt2f.gif

Ho-how is this even possible? o_O

Caerith

I need OT Title Suggestions >.>

Abyss Odyssey |OT| This has nothing to do with Abe´s Oddysee.

Abyss Odyssey |OT| obviously not everyone's a lesbian teenage girl
Abyss Odyssey |OT| Dream a Little Dream of Melee
Abyss Odyssey |OT| A Warlock's Nightmare From Which I Am Trying To Awake

Perfectly put. I also think that being in your 30s or near enough helps with the nostalgia aspect (man, I also had 2 movies per tape like that lol)

Yeah. It took me a bit to figure out the uncle, since they never explicitly say it.

Plus, would anyone born after 1990 be able to figure out the connection between tape cassettes and tape recorders? Without a tutorial, a list of objectives, and a glowing arrow on a minimap, I mean.

Aaron D.

Sounds about right. I think I got it for $6 or so from the humble store and really enjoyed it at that price. Call me crazy, but I enjoyed Gone Home way more than Stanley Parable

I paid $20 for a launch copy of Gone Home and would do it again in a second.

The game not only met, but exceeded its intended goals and did so with a skillful hand.

I'm well aware that the game isn't for everyone, and that's fine. But for the intended audience I think it was a home run effort. Not a perfect game or anything, but certainly among best in class for environmental-exploration storytelling.

Shadownet

Banned
While it's not as deep as a devil may cry game (DmC not included), it's definitely very fun. Have you not watched the footage I put up? :p

It's a ton of fun and the only suda51 game I've ever really liked (I'm pretty sure Suda51 had minimal involvement with Sine Mora).

If there's interest, now that I have finished Sniper Elite 3, I can do a stream sometime.

I did :} it just didn't grab me Lol. But please feel free to put up Sniper Elite 3. :) I'm on the fence right now but would love to be persuaded.

Hugstable

Banned
I paid $20 for a launch copy of Gone Home and would do it again in a second.

The game not only met, but exceeded its intended goals and did so with a skillful hand.

I'm well aware that the game isn't for everyone, and that's fine. But for the intended audience I think it was a home run effort. Not a perfect game or anything, but certainly among best in class for environmental-exploration storytelling.

I like all the impressions everyone has been doing for the game lately, convinced me to pick it up next sale it has since I do tend to like games that can sometimes be quick and too the point but still a great overall experience. I always used to get this game confused with Home for some reason and I didn't like the look of that one so I never paid much mind. But I like the whole sound of being in a house alone with a ghost or whatever. I tend to like some of the short quick experiences like Flower and Journey, especially if done really well, so I'm sure I will like this. They need to do another sale haha.

I did :} it just didn't grab me Lol. But please feel free to put up Sniper Elite 3. :) I'm on the fence right now but would love to be persuaded.

There's a good amount of hours of me playing Sniper Elite 3 archived on my channel. The last 3 missions of the game on Sniper Elite difficulty. Just check my past broadcasts.

I'd say it's worth the $10 or so it'd cost you as part of purchasing one of those AMD Never Settle Gold vouchers.

fantomena

That is insanely cheap. Murdered looks like such a cool concept, I wish the studio could have had another chance to refine their craft..

Yeah. 4 keys was like 7€ or something.

After what Ive reads about Murdered it seems like a pretty interested game. Especially the story. Many people also say it has some Heavy Rain look-a-like gameplay. I loved Hevay Rain.

Turfster

Sounds about right. I think I got it for $6 or so from the humble store and really enjoyed it at that price. Call me crazy, but I enjoyed Gone Home way more than Stanley Parable

I also enjoyed Gone Home more than the Stanley Parable, although they're not really directly comparable in goals. One tries to tell a story through the environment, the other tries to comment on gaming by toying with game mechanics and expectations, after all. Both achieve their goals, in my opinion. So Stanley Parable was not bad per se, but
so fucking depressing in the many, many, many ways you could or had to kill yourself

I think we can all agree that Dear Esther can go take a flying leap, though.

Abyss Odyssey |OT| Staring into the Abyss with friends ?
i'm pretty bad at this, i'll let you gentlemen and gentlewomen figure something out, i just hope the game has a decent community
betrayer ot didn't even reach the 2nd despite having the most engaging atmosphere in a game this year imo

Also, more LP2 random stuff (sound) :
a.pomf.se/zlyvam.webm (20mb)
a.pomf.se/hxbkeg.webm (15mb)

need to figure out how to make a webm that's not 20 fucking megs :/

Dr Dogg

That is insanely cheap. Murdered looks like such a cool concept, I wish the studio could have had another chance to refine their craft..

If you like(d) old school adventure games, the FMV sort and the point and click ones, you will might like Murdered. The encounter sections drag the game down for me as they feel unnecessary and the tension they should provide is mitigated by checkpoints and everything reset after failing only to start again. Needed to be fleshed out more or dropped altogether. But I guess they couldn't have sold a game without any action at all *shocked sarcastic expression*. Well on consoles at least but then again it's not like that worked out for a Air Tight as it pretty much sunk after launch week.

rookiejet

Home streaming to a laptop, in bed, with a controller in hand is the best thing. I'm eager to try limelight next and see if it's better, since I have an Nvidia card.

(Also note: if the connection is spotty for your laptop, it might be due to aggressive power-management of the wireless adapter. So either disable it in the drivers or plug in the device to switch to a higher performance profile.)

I'm sold on Abyss Odyssey. It looks beautiful and has a massive pre-purchase discount, considering what is typical.

Now, to decide on Gods Will Be Watching.

Turfster

Now, to decide on Gods Will Be Watching.
Have you played the online version?
It was... disappointing. (Yes, I know it was a LD compo entry and thus limited in scope, but still, it didn't grab me)

Derrick the Deathfin keys are up on IndieRoyale Mighty bundle.

Happy birthday, Modbot, and thanks for all the trouble you went to on our behalf, Stump.

Tizoc

What's this 'Scpmapper.xml' file that XInput is unable to detect? I'm trying to use my DS3 controller on my laptop with it but it doesn't recognize it and now I can't use my DS3 to play games. My DS4 runs fine though.

We gratulate Modbot today, but what when it becomes sentient...
Actually, congrats stump for one year of dedication and dealing with the same stupid questions by angsty newbies
me

Abyss Odyssey |OT| Staring into the Abyss with friends ?
i'm pretty bad at this, i'll let you gentlemen and gentlewomen figure something out, i just hope the game has a decent community
betrayer ot didn't even reach the 2nd despite having the most engaging atmosphere in a game this year imo

Also, more LP2 random stuff (sound) :webms
need to figure out how to make a webm that's not 20 fucking megs :/
Enjoy your work Rob! Keep em coming.
Never knew LP could be fun. Always had the impression it's generally viewed as bad.

Vazra

irresponsible vagina leak
Never knew LP could be fun. Always had the impression it's generally viewed as bad.

From what I gather the first game is good to play alone and 2 is better to play coop. Maybe Rob can confirm if thats true or if they fixed a bit the single player to be less annoying.

JakeD

Home streaming to a laptop, in bed, with a controller in hand is the best thing. I'm eager to try limelight next and see if it's better, since I have an Nvidia card.

(Also note: if the connection is spotty for your laptop, it might be due to aggressive power-management of the wireless adapter. So either disable it in the drivers or plug in the device to switch to a higher performance profile.)

i've been using it a lot as well. i love it. i've actually been looking up tips on how to speed up my connection (both computers wired) though. i get no lag or anything, but the video quality on the client computer occasionally looks compressed or pixelated

Dr Dogg

I'd say Lost Planet 2 is best played drunk. Then it would make more sense why you don't have a clue what the fuck is going on. 1 is alright but the MP is tedious at best but after some problems caused sound drivers and CTDs with 3, that actually seems to have the best story out if the franchise (I mean it got nominated for a WGA award). If you combined all 3 into one game you'd have an awesome product but on there own each has some pretty big flaws.

From what I gather the first game is good to play alone and 2 is better to play coop. Maybe Rob can confirm if thats true or if they fixed a bit the single player to be less annoying.

yeah the first one has an okay-ish campaign
the second one has an over the top amazeballs coop campaign (you can play with bots but it's not as good)
i haven't tried the competitive mp and it's #dead anyway, i heard it was good at least for LP2

lost planet 2 got shat on when it came out though, i don't know why since from a gameplay standpoint it's better than lost planet 1 in almost every way imo
i think it was the shitty ui that makes it look like an arcade game, coupled with the no drop-in drop-out for coop and the fact that you're not explained how to do the most advanced moves (and also the plot doesn't make any sense until the last 30 minutes of the game, good job capcpom)

the series isn't regarded as bad but that IP is all over the place, it went from a sp game with a bit of competitive mp to a full on coop/mp game to a generic cinematic third person shooter with the most craptastic mp i've ever played

Sky Chief

I have some questions about buying games for a ModBot giveaway.

If I am buying the games from Steam directly do I choose "Purchase as Gift" and then "Keep it for Later - Store the gift in my inventory to send later"? Then do I get a key or what? This is where I am confused.

Secondly, if I purchase a game from a trader how do I then give it away by ModBot?

Thanks!

Grief.exe

I have some questions about buying games for a ModBot giveaway.

If I am buying the games from Steam directly do I choose "Purchase as Gift" and then "Keep it for Later - Store the gift in my inventory to send later"? Then do I get a key or what? This is where I am confused.

Secondly, if I purchase a game from a trader how do I then give it away by ModBot?

Thanks!

Purchasing from the Steam store and a trader should be the same process. Store the gift in your inventory, send it out via email, then follow this guide.

yuraya

Finished up the Banner Saga

clnACXl.png

Fantastic game. Such a great story, soundtrack and great strategic turn based gameplay.

Its very rare I play a game whose both story and gameplay I enjoy from start to finish.

damn-good-stuff.gif

10 out of 10

Anteater

lost planet 2 got shat on when it came out though, i don't know why since from a gameplay standpoint it's better than lost planet 1 in almost every way imo

I haven't played the games but from what I remember one of the reasons it got shat on was because it was a lot more coop focused, some of my friends who played it loved the game.

Kifimbo

ModBot said:
Instructions for participants:
I am giving away 2 Steam keys. To enter this giveaway, send a PM to ModBot with any subject line. In the body, copy and paste the entire line below that corresponds to the key you want (if you include more than one game, you will be blocked from entering).

Rules for this Giveaway:
-
ad5hOev.png
7zwunRg.png
It's ModBot's birthday! Celebrate by giving out something other than bundle garbage today!
7zwunRg.png
ad5hOev.png

- If you are a lurker you are not eligible for this giveaway. You need five or more posts in either the current Steam thread or the previous one to be eligible
- This giveaway is a LIGHTNING raffle. The winners will be selected by random draw 15 minutes after the draw was created. Any games not claimed after that point will be given away first come first serve.
- Do not trade keys you win off-site to enrich yourself. Don't try to claim games you have no interest in collecting or playing. Don't claim games to give them to friends off-site.
- If the key is already taken you will not receive a reply. Replies may take a minute or two:

System Shock 2 -- MB-CB3A26A3273D6B7C - Taken by velociraptor. 5 entrants total.
Wizardry 6 & 7 -- MB-5A4C20932E2B7811 - Taken by Li Kao. 2 entrants total.

t1404660920z1.png

Stuggernaut

Grandma's Chippy
Just wondering, which games/how many games do you people currently have installed?

I have my games ever so simplistically categorized. Currently Playing (Installed), Games I Have Beaten, and Games (The rest).

For fear of utter shame, I will not show my "beaten" list. But here is my currently playing list :)

r3e0LsI.png

Turfster

Man, I'm never getting those last 2 demonicon cards for a "decent" price, am I?
You'd think people would lower their prices after 2 weeks of the highest buy order being half the amount they're asking for them.

JaseC

gave away the keys to the kingdom.
I have 210 games installed, but most of these are just relics from when I could afford to have my entire library installed.

Finished Gone Home. I liked it, even if I think people saying its GOTY 2013 are insane but hey, who am I to judge. But I liked it nonetheless. The attention to detail in the house is amazing, the story is
well done, good for Sam and whats her name, and hey, in the end there was no ghost (guess all the ouija board stuff was a red herring), no mystery, you just go home and no ones there because your sister ran off with her girlfriend and your parents are off in some resort, I liked that.

that being said, charging 20€ for this is ridiculous, but on a sale its more than fine. I would rank it bellow Stanley Parable (WAY bellow) but above (also WAY above lol) Dear Esther (man I hated esther) in the non-games games category
I dont actually think they are non-games

Yea I agree with this. The price seems a bit high but the game itself is quite decent, especially if you take the time to observe all the other stories going on in the house. And yea, it's way better than Dear Esther for sure.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom