• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

STEAM | July 2014-2 In his house at R'lyeh, dead Cthulhu waits dreaming

Status
Not open for further replies.

Stumpokapow

listen to the mad man
I'll never use it. I don't feel that a win is less than a win (or a game less than a game) simply because the game comes from a bundle, personally. Hell, I'm actually disappointed such a rule was implemented for everyday use.

I mean, it's not really for everyday use. I'm not going to make a rule that I can use that other people can't. But I specifically recommend not to use it in the ModBot thread and I can't imagine many people will. I'm inclined to agree. Even most of the "bundle trash" stuff is actually pretty playable and deserves a good home. I think people should enter for stuff that they actually want (ideally if they want to play it, but I don't judge collecting-oriented people). I don't think siphoning up titles or entering for every game that goes up in a raffle is really a good practice.

And the throttles are pretty generous, it's not like people win an indie game and then get disqualified when someone gives away something they really want--and few people use the NOWINNERS rules. The throttles are only bad when you get up around 6-7+ games a week, and even then, the wins drop off pretty quickly.

That said, do people pass up bundle games because that Divinity raffle requires you not to have won in the past day?

We get a pretty excellent "fill rate"--IE most stuff gets claimed--and raffles have as many or more entrants than they ever have, so I think the evidence would say that people aren't passing up stuff, or if they are then the new user growth is exceeding the number of people passing stuff up. I mean, 126 users have won 50 games or more. ModBot has been out for 53 weeks--so they're averaging a game a week. 280 or so have won 25 or more during that period. 601 have won at least 10 games. People are taking part!

BinaryPork2737

Unconfirmed Member
I'll never use it. I don't feel that a win is less than a win (or a game less than a game) simply because the game comes from a bundle, personally. Hell, I'm actually disappointed such a rule was implemented for everyday use.

I'd use for it really bad bundle games or just bad games in general. Like say, something on the scale of Air Control. No one deserves to be throttled for winning that game. Though no one really deserves the burden of winning it in the first place, even for the +1, to be honest.

ModBot

Not a mod, just a bot.
Thanks to an anonymous benefactor, I am giving away a Steam key. To enter this giveaway, send a PM to ModBot with any subject line. In the body, copy and paste the entire line from the message below containing the game you want to enter for.

ModBot Basics:
- Do not trade keys you win off-site to enrich yourself. Don't try to claim games you have no interest in collecting or playing. Don't claim games to give them to friends off-site.
- If the key is already taken you will not receive a reply. Replies may take a minute or two.

Battlepillars Gold Edition -- MB-A2E9FCF7435B93EC - Taken by Kaper
Good? Bad? I don't know, you play it and report back.

Kagemusha

x
ModBot said:
Hotline Miami and Guacamelee:

Instructions for participants:
I am giving away 28 Steam keys. To enter this giveaway, send a PM to ModBot with any subject line. In the body, copy and paste the entire line from the message below that corresponds to the game you want. (if you include more than one game, you will be blocked from entering).

ModBot Basics:
- I really appreciate thank you messages, but please send them to me (Kagemusha, not ModBot!) via PM instead of in thread.
- Do not trade keys you win off-site to enrich yourself. Don't try to claim games you have no interest in collecting or playing. Don't claim games to give them to friends off-site.
- If the key is already taken you will not receive a reply. Replies may take a minute or two.

Dynamite Jack -- MB-86B76582721DBCD1 - Taken by celsowmbr
Overcast Walden and the Werewolf -- MB-C5B572BD5A6CB8A7 - Taken by anastef
Oil Rush -- MB-055FF1C61F093FC8 - Taken by nja. 1 entrants total.
Starlite Astronaut Academy G Ball -- MB-431E0AB10144B512 - Taken by redlacs
Gaucamelee #2 -- MB-9E333E1C82ED63AE - Taken by EzioCroft
Bardbarian -- MB-2CE4F2BC6071D000 - Taken by swx
Aura Fate of the Ages -- MB-25AB0DD1C12CE741 - Taken by KainXVIII
Cobi Treasure Deluxe -- MB-96F2E87436FE4B1C - Taken by dinopoke
LUME -- MB-2BC8F2E9E8F4B7C2 - Taken by taco543
Ludwig -- MB-17C856EAABF0D771 - Taken by Myshkin
Humanity Asset -- MB-527F969F078B3C05
GEARCRACK ARENA -- MB-A1A975E3526058D7 - Taken by anastef
Manhunter -- MB-6162FBA3942540ED - Taken by Relax.MX
Thomas was Alone -- MB-AFB5497D107FFBD6 - Taken by diablogod
Mayhem Intergalactic -- MB-48C084E962FE1866
Safecracker -- MB-169B57540F385629 - Taken by Lomax
Dark Fall -- MB-E87E6C67C7BEC527 - Taken by Tesseract
Little Inferno -- MB-C480AA10DF0A364E
Desert Thunder -- MB-E6B8A324AF4F70E3 - Taken by drakaenae
C-RUSH -- MB-B5DA2B9388C7D6AA - Taken by Dusk Golem
Grimind -- MB-6875B777EEAB4C5E
Marine Sharpshooter II Jungle Warfare -- MB-9EEB0B2C17A3C3CB
Dark Fall 2 Lights Out -- MB-C6AE448E12C614B4 - Taken by Evrain
MUD TV -- MB-5BFBB26AD3A20644 - Taken by Catshade
A Train 8 -- MB-3F32417AC7D3A944 - Taken by Dragoon En Regalia
Soulbringer -- MB-B0D3FFA30F4F9B7D - Taken by electroflame
Hotline Miami -- MB-E24B29912432807C - Taken by Blak_Status
Supreme Ruler Cold War -- MB-7255006CBB8708DC - Taken by gaiadyne

Eanan

We get a pretty excellent "fill rate"--IE most stuff gets claimed--and raffles have as many or more entrants than they ever have, so I think the evidence would say that people aren't passing up stuff, or if they are then the new user growth is exceeding the number of people passing stuff up. I mean, 126 users have won 50 games or more. ModBot has been out for 53 weeks--so they're averaging a game a week. 280 or so have won 25 or more during that period. 601 have won at least 10 games. People are taking part!

Hmmmm, I often wonder what is the amount of games won in top spot of the list for modbot? You dont have to name the user, but maybe you could tell us how many games this anonymous person has won, considering 126 people have won 50 or more games already.

Just take them people. Desura games are still games, yo.
ModBot said:
I am giving away 5 Steam keys. To enter this giveaway, send a PM to ModBot with any subject line. In the body, copy and paste the entire line from the message below that corresponds to the game you want. (if you include more than one game, you will be blocked from entering).

ModBot Basics:
- I really appreciate thank you messages, but please send them to me (freshVeggie, not ModBot!) via PM instead of in thread.

Rules for this Giveaway:
- This is a free for all! You can enter for multiple games on the list below. Send an individual PM for each game you'd like to win.

ulgzbKC.png
Station Eris (Desura) -- MB-68D0302AEB4649D6 - Taken by Catshade
Palm Kingdoms (IndieGameStand) -- MB-938D27A58140E80D
ulgzbKC.png
Firbrillation (Desura) -- MB-058F4A5B70472ADB
ulgzbKC.png
Stoorm (Desura) -- MB-1C08E95DBB43F701 - Taken by Henry Swanson
ulgzbKC.png
Agapan (Desura) -- MB-350D69B9AB21F978 - Taken by Henry Swanson

Rhaknar

The Steam equivalent of the drunk friend who keeps offering to pay your tab all night.
And the throttles are pretty generous, it's not like people win an indie game and then get disqualified when someone gives away something they really want--and few people use the NOWINNERS rules. The throttles are only bad when you get up around 6-7+ games a week, and even then, the wins drop off pretty quickly.

oh that throttle seems fine, the way some people panic in the thread when there's big games I actually thought it was much worse

Just take them people. Desura games are still games, yo.

not in the steam thread theyre not :p

KenOD

a kinder, gentler sort of Scrooge
Edit: new page, so new recommendation.

Sokobond , a chemistry based puzzle game that while as helpful to know how elements are laid out and their symbols before hand, is a bit easier to get into than SpaceChem... maybe.

How do you get to play this? Is it accessible from the menu, or do you have to do something random on the table?

Found in Star Wars Episode VI: Retune of the Jedi table and through just playing normal Pinball, one must hit the ball into the Speeder hole (it says Speeder going down and the letters light up individually each time you get it in) and then hit it in one final time when the word is spelled out.

For those that have no idea what I'm talking about. I took a screen shot to show it off. http://steamcommunity.com/sharedfiles/filedetails/?id=285891935

Going through a lane enough times, having a max combo (going through various different lanes smoothly enough without interruption), or hitting a ball into a hole enough times is how all the mini-games or small odd-ball mini-tables are found throughout Pinball FX2. Makes exploration and replay quite worth it.

My favourite is still the shoot-em-up as seen here. http://steamcommunity.com/sharedfiles/filedetails/?id=214070826

The cut scenes/random mission explanations aren't bad. Theatre for example. http://steamcommunity.com/sharedfiles/filedetails/?id=280093369

trackmania 2 stadium good ? is there still a large community ?

It's quite fine as Trackmania goes with wonderful looking graphics to accompany it. The issue is with Trackmania 2 being divided up like it was, the amount of people playing isn't that strong and there isn't as much variety to the tracks as one would hope.
Though you would have a bit of luck playing with people now, especially NeoGAF, as a fair amount of people are buying it currently.

I quite enjoyed it, but I think it says something I've since gone back to Trackmania United/Forever which is far more active and still just as good.

This week I launch my first game on Steam.
You guys haven't yet clicked on the "wish" button on the Steam Page to help us out? WHAT ARE YOU WAITING FOR?

steam_train.png

Special thanks to More_Badass for putting us on original Steam OP!

Congrats on the release, looks great and I can't wait to play it just as soon as Valve lets me actually purchase things again.

How is Millie?

It's the only game in the new Indie Gala bundle that really interests me.

I already have One Finger Death Punch

If you have a iOS device you can try it for free right now. Bit simple from my time with it, enough it's a mild diversion, but nothing to really spend much time with.

Rhaknar

The Steam equivalent of the drunk friend who keeps offering to pay your tab all night.
wait, wishlisting games actually helps devs somehow? like, is there some sort of data being collected or something?

Eanan

Currently playing "Gone Home"...

tis decent but I keep expecting there to be a jump scare at any moment. Game is creepy.

Stumpokapow

listen to the mad man
Hmmmm, I often wonder what is the amount of games won in top spot of the list for modbot? You dont have to name the user, but maybe you could tell us how many games this anonymous person has won, considering 126 people have won 50 or more games already.

Top winner is around 180-190 games or so. Top 5 winners all get PAYITFORWARD added to anything they'd otherwise apply for, so mostly those people are either going to have to wait for other people to catch up or they've gotta give back pretty regularly, which is win-win for the rest of us.

Rhaknar

Top winner is around 180-190 games or so. Top 5 winners all get PAYITFORWARD added to anything they'd otherwise apply for, so mostly those people are either going to have to wait for other people to catch up or they've gotta give back pretty regularly, which is win-win for the rest of us.

do you actually enter for stuff, I dont think ive ever seen you win anything.

Is it me? :D

Just wondering how many I already claimed[/spoiled]
my loot tells you what youve won

Just wondering how many I already claimed

Kifimbo

Humble link.

ModBot said:
I am giving away a Steam key. To enter this giveaway, send a PM to ModBot with any subject line. In the body, copy and paste the entire line from the message below containing the game you want to enter for.

ModBot Basics:
- I really appreciate thank you messages, but please send them to me (Kifimbo, not ModBot!) via PM instead of in thread.

Sid Meier's Civilization III: Complete -- MB-C82184B748697C9E - Taken by WinterDemons

Pakkidis

Been fooling around with different Steam Skins. Really liking AIR at the moment. Really is growing on me.

Pixel Vision isn't bad either.

Servizio

I don't really need a tag, but I figured I'd get one to make people jealous. Is it working?
wait, wishlisting games actually helps devs somehow? like, is there some sort of data being collected or something?

I got the impression once that it helped them prioritize which games get their discounts pushed. I don't remember what gave me that impression, or if that it even makes sense since it would add to a snowball effect of obscure games continuing to be obscure and well-known games always being discounted.

Stumpokapow

listen to the mad man
do you actually enter for stuff, I dont think ive ever seen you win anything.

The only time I enter is if someone puts up bundle extras and I have everything in the bundle except one game, then I enter. I've won Insanely Twisted Shadow Planet (which I own on XBLA but wanted to re-own for PC) and Overlord 2 (ditto!) in ModBot giveaways, so I feel pretty lucky. I also accidentally claimed someone's Ittle Dew key while troubleshooting a bug once. Everything else has been sort of low-impact bundle fodder stuff. But the throttle and everything applies to me like it applies to everyone else, and I don't slant the raffle giveaways in my favour or anything.

He won the race for admin among mods

I didn't ask for or particularly want it. The admin requests queue was a little long because bish was on vacation and it's not really gromph's job and one of my fellow moderators told EviLore we needed another admin and requested it be me and I guess he agreed or thought I wouldn't suck or whatever. It's been helpful for improve the mod side of ModBot, and I'm glad that I can help people who have gotten locked out of their accounts, and obviously I've given out some positive tags, but mostly I don't really have any inclination towards the additional functionality and if another mod really wanted to be an admin in my place I'd swap with them no problem.

In moderation conversations I always tell other moderators that even if it's their first day moderating their voice counts the same as mine. I believe in collaboration, I'm not really a hierarchical authority kind of guy at all... and honestly even in terms of moderation I wouldn't be on GAF if I didn't like participating as a poster.

Just wondering how many I already claimed[/spoiled]
You can check under my loot but it looks like you're a little shy of 50 total so you're nowhere near the top of the list :p

wilflare

You now have one extra chance at 7 games from Codemasters with the Humble Flash Re-Bundle!

https://www.humblebundle.com/flash

1$
Overlord
Overlord: Raising Hell DLC Overlord: Raising Hell DLC
Operation Flashpoint: Red River Operation Flashpoint: Red River
Operation Flashpoint: Dragon Rising Operation Flashpoint: Dragon Rising
Rise of the Argonauts Rise of the Argonauts

$6
DiRT Showdown DiRT Showdown
DiRT 3 DiRT 3
Overlord II Overlord II

this is annoying
I was only missing Dirt Showdown and I redeemed my key from the first time the bundle was run (like just a few weeks back)

and now they release this Re-flash bundle with separate keys

/rant

---

and sigh maybe it's a sign to get W3 at that jolly good price

TronLight

Everybody is Mikkelsexual

190? Wow.

I guess that I'm not in the top 5 then--but probably close depending on the kind of dropoff there is from 1st--since I've won stuff recently that that rule would exclude me from winning.

TronLight

Everybody is Mikkelsexual
Looks like somebody fixed modbot!

ModBot said:
I am giving away a Steam key. To enter this giveaway, send a PM to ModBot with any subject line. In the body, copy and paste the entire line from the message below containing the game you want to enter for.

ModBot Basics:
- This giveaway has a manual blocklist. The giver has identified members who abuse giveaways and restricted them from participating.
- I really appreciate thank you messages, but please send them to me (TronLight, not ModBot!) via PM instead of in thread.

Rules for this Giveaway:
- If you are a lurker you are not eligible for this giveaway. You need five or more posts in either the current Steam thread or the previous one to be eligible
- This giveaway is a raffle. The winners will be selected by random draw 24 hours after the draw was created. Any games not claimed after that point will be given away first come first serve.

t1cxE6r.gif
Wasteland 2 -- MB-797AF78E128F2E65

t1405472974z1.png

One of my most anticipated games this year. I hope whoever wins this will enjoy it.

Jawmuncher

Played a bit of Inversion today
header_292x136.jpg

I don't know why you guys want Gears of War on steam when you have this. It's so similar it's pretty amazing. Though is is a little stiff in the control department. Already about half way it seems (Making it a short game). But it seems to me like a syfy channel movie so it's all pretty B rated. Thus far it hasn't been too bad though. Will see if it picks up the pace or if it stays mundane by the end of it.

Tip for anyone starting this play on easy.
Your character unlike in Gears is a bullet magnet and you can't be picked up unless playing coop. Plus there's no achievements so it's not like you're missing out on anything.

Rhaknar

The only time I enter is if someone puts up bundle extras and I have everything in the bundle except one game, then I enter. I've won Insanely Twisted Shadow Planet (which I own on XBLA but wanted to re-own for PC) and Overlord 2 (ditto!) in ModBot giveaways, so I feel pretty lucky. I also accidentally claimed someone's Ittle Dew key while troubleshooting a bug once. Everything else has been sort of low-impact bundle fodder stuff. But the throttle and everything applies to me like it applies to everyone else, and I don't slant the raffle giveaways in my favour or anything.

I wasnt implying anything, it was just curiosity, I know Zelliard and his creepy ass avatar enter for stuff, I was just curious if you did is all :)

Caerith

I only remember the
cross/lightbulb one.

What was the other?

The, uh... one you get if you
take the basketball from the garage
by
looking up as soon as you enter, and throwing the milk carton from the recycling bin at it
and
bring it up to Sam's room, close the door, and put it where it belongs

Hello.
ModBot said:
Instructions for Widdly Scuds:
Press the quote button to the left of this PM, select the quoted text, copy, and paste in the thread. You can remove these lines from the version you paste.

I am giving away 2 Steam keys. To enter this giveaway, send a PM to ModBot with any subject line. In the body, copy and paste the entire line from the message below that corresponds to the game you want. (if you include more than one game, you will be blocked from entering).

ModBot Basics:
- This giveaway has a manual blocklist. The giver has identified members who abuse giveaways and restricted them from participating.
- I really appreciate thank you messages, but please send them to me (Widdly Scuds, not ModBot!) via PM instead of in thread.

Rules for this Giveaway:
- Pay it forward. You can only win this game if you've given away a game since you last won a game (minimum one total giveaway).
- If you are a lurker you are not eligible for this giveaway. You need five or more posts in either the current Steam thread or the previous one to be eligible
- This giveaway is a LIGHTNING raffle. The winners will be selected by random draw 15 minutes after the draw was created. Any games not claimed after that point will be given away first come first serve.

Lara Croft And The Guardian Of Light -- MB-303709A6D3AD49D8 - Taken by Ryne. 6 entrants total.
Defy Gravity Extended -- MB-5011DB16D26147A8 - Taken by bluechox2. 4 entrants total.

t1405387777z1.png

Fracas

#fuckonami
Are there any reasonably affordable and not shitty wireless gaming mice out there? My G500 is double clicking instead of single clicking regularly, and I'm kinda tired of having wires around, even though my mouse is always at my table.

I'm guessing it'll be something like pick two of three: affordable, wireless, not shitty.

I'm not really a pro when it comes to mice, but I bought this yesterday and I like it so far. Matte/rubberized finish, solid scroll wheel, good sensitivity settings. It's sizeable too (I have fairly large hands). I could do without the red spatter effect (it's not actually textured on the mouse but it's kind of ugly imo)

You could do a lot worse for $11.

JaseC

gave away the keys to the kingdom.
and sigh maybe it's a sign to get W3 at that jolly good price

Better safe than sorry. It's why I'm not bitter about paying ~30% more than others have in recent weeks (the RU price dropped from 1049 Russiabucks to 699).

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom