• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

STEAM | July 2014-2 In his house at R'lyeh, dead Cthulhu waits dreaming

Status
Not open for further replies.

Cth

Just finished my interview, got another lined up on Thursday!

The place looks like NASA!

Might celebrate with another giveaway once I get home from the other job tonight! Any suggestions? (Under $10 pls)

Chariot

I wanna play magic. But it releases tomorrow. I don't want to wait anymore :(

I just noticed Chariot's avatar.

image.php

Rad.
Only the best, only the best.

Rhaknar

The Steam equivalent of the drunk friend who keeps offering to pay your tab all night.

Might celebrate with another giveaway once I get home from the other job tonight! Any suggestions? (Under $10 pls)

Abyss Odissey if the discount is still up?

Rhaknar

The Steam equivalent of the drunk friend who keeps offering to pay your tab all night.
I'm also curious about this. I passed this game over so many times at the PS2 launch. Kinda want to try it out now, just to finally play it.

Summoner has the same discount right now on Gamersgate if you want to get rid of some blue coins (I got it for free with them, since ill never have enough coins for anything big anyway)

The_Super_Inframan

"the journey to a thousand games ends with bad rats. ~Lao Tzu" ~Gabe Newell
Hehe yeah, Kipp is just as good as me, the matches against him are crazy intense and those matches are the best!
Really looking forward to when you guys have put in a few hours in this game and will come up to our level, even if it's a lot fun to troll you too :D

Haha, and then The_Super_Inframan hooks me and goes through the closed gate, that was beautiful.

Kipp became my second nemesis during our last matches!

I just checked, we played almost exactly the same amount of speedrunners, something is not right here :p Maybe it's because I play mostly drunk on the weekends when friends are here... next time I drink some shots before playing with you...

The stuck/hook thing really was funny :)

I'm sure you did.

It was! I assume getting stuck on gates is rare?

I even won a game! So yes, I did ;)

Never seen the gate thing before, so I think it is rare...

Vuze

Just tested the Dishonored: Dunwall City Trials DLC. Kinda neat.
I especially like the Kill Cascade, Train Runner and Bend Time Massacre challenges so far. The latter is quite an awesome concept but for some reason I have yet to figure out how to handle grenades etc. properly in slow motion haha.

Also I'm disappointed that out of the 25 people on my friendslist who own the DLC only Salsa has played it so far :<

iosefe

Oh, I understand but watching it ends being damn funny. Seeing him waiting, someone pass him and then he throws that person below. It just made me laugh.

That last race had him almost losing though!
Here's one for you. he stops in a spot. Thus spot is a ledge that goes the other way when youvget under. You pass him and he golden hooks you. You are trapped on the upper ledge. And he runs down and to the right.

Did that happen this time around?

Jawmuncher

Summoner worth it?
Playable by "todays" standards?

The PC port of summoner is good though it's not completely supported of widescreen resolutions. Aside from that depending on your card you might need a program (forgot what it was called) that will spoof you graphics card to look like a older voodoo card.

Aside from that if its on sale its worth the price still.

It was! I assume getting stuck on gates is rare?

Yeah never happened before actually.
It happened there because there is a boost right at the gate that sends you past the cell, and I got in the boost area with the gate closed.

Kipp became my second nemesis during our last matches!

I just checked, we played almost exactly the same amount of speedrunners, something is not right here :p Maybe it's because I play mostly drunk on the weekends when friends are here... next time I drink some shots before playing with you...

The stuck/hook thing really was funny :)

Haha, worth a try, DrunkRunners next!

Here's one for you. he stops in a spot. Thus spot is a ledge that goes the other way when youvget under. You pass him and he golden hooks you. You are trapped on the upper ledge. And he runs down and to the right.

Did that happen this time around?

My favourite troll!
Love watching people run the wrong way on the upper ledge :)

This time I trolled The_Super_Inframan in that level with a spike wall section where you swing upwards.
Let him run past me, went up and then I hooked him back down while I went over the spike wall.
That's my favourite too :p

Rhaknar

Super_Inframan is good people
despite having a completely different name steam

Don't be scared of later Ys games. I love the original 2, but even I recognize that they're a bit obtuse in terms of level design. When I played Book I & II originally on the Turbo CD back in 95 (and I'd played Ys I back in 89 on the Sega Master System), I do recall getting stuck multiple times, and just combing every square inch to get through. The layout for Chronicles is actually slightly better. The other games benefit from being more modern. If you got through Ys I & II, you should have no problems negotiating the other games.

so you're telling me that these games are the low point for the dungeons in the series? If so, that's a relief.

derExperte

Broke down and bought Abyss Odyssey. Too much peer pressure.

Wasn't deadfall bundled/free weekended or something awhile back? Accounts that it was a pretty terrible game.

Free weekend during which you could play the first few levels and multiplayer. I liked it but it needs to become cheaper.

fucking finally

Well, there's problem #1. You're using Ryu.

stop tempting me to buy games guys -.-
Witcher 3
Divinity OS
Wolfenstein
Watch Dogs

WWWWD (what would wilflare do)

---

I'm trying to clear the backlog but P4G is taking up all my time at the moment.

Uh... too many Ws.
Get Witcher and Divinity cheap while you still can.

Thought I'd set up a little SpeedRunners competition, I'm feeling a bit ballsy so it's with a special prize!

Prize:
330x192

Rules:
1. You do not already own this game.
2. You will activate it to your own library, no trading or reselling the gift.
3. You have to be the winner of a full race.
4. We will play a race once in every level.

Quote this post to reserve a spot in the competition!

Competitors:
#1: DunderHassan
#2: BernadoOne
#3: Kiru
#4: The_Super_Inframan

Was it for the 1st 3 to sign up only?
I don't even want blur, I'd probably raffle that off or ask for a substitute prize...
I just want in on competition... my blood boils while I wait for the chance to crush you.

Congratulations! And good luck on the next steps.

Just do another of those "Any $10 game on steam" vouchers you like to do.

Super_Inframan is good people
despite having a completely different name steam

Not sure why you say this, but yes he is, despite that shortcoming.

Rhaknar

Not sure why you say this, but yes he is, despite that shortcoming.

because...he is? sometimes you dont need a reason to say stuff.

Like you being the absolute fucking worst for example, I dont need (yet another) reason to say it, you just are

Hugstable

Banned
I wanna play magic. But it releases tomorrow. I don't want to wait anymore :(

Only the best, only the best.

This Magic game seems pretty interesting since they said it has deck building and all. I've never played Magic before, but I like Card games, and one digital like this make it much easier to play. My experience with Card games is relegated to Pokemon TCG on the gameboy color lol. I think it was the kickstarter video for Hex that got me interested in a digital card game, but being new I don't know which of the 3 game packages to buy. Complete seems to be the most likely choice since it seems to come with 300 cards which would be useful for building a deck which I really like to do. Found a seller doing special edition for 7 keys and complete for 10 keys. Does Magic play on PC usually play alot like that Hex kickstarter video gameplay? I liked how streamlined everything looked.

EDIT: HMM found one for 8 keys now for the complete. Now this is truly tempting.

Rezae

Pre-ordered Magic just now to get the pre-order booster. Haven't played DOTP series since 2012 I believe. Seems like they're really taking a step forward with this one with customization. Having been on/off again playing Hearthstone, I'm hoping this will have some legs to it.

Stallion Free

Cock Encumbered
fuck this last boss in tomb raider legend

9a5nxsenkt.gif

just beat him, much easier once i could get the lock-on on him at a distance so i could spam attack
The time trial for that boss took me the better part of an afternoon. Time trials are locked to hard difficulty and they give you like 2.5 minutes total for that one :(

ModBot

Not a mod, just a bot.
Thanks to an anonymous benefactor, I am giving away 8 Steam keys. To enter this giveaway, send a PM to ModBot with any subject line. In the body, copy and paste the entire line from the message below that corresponds to the game you want. (if you include more than one game, you will be blocked from entering).

ModBot Basics:
- Do not trade keys you win off-site to enrich yourself. Don't try to claim games you have no interest in collecting or playing. Don't claim games to give them to friends off-site.
- If the key is already taken you will not receive a reply. Replies may take a minute or two.

iBomber Defense Plus iBomber Defense Pacific #2 -- MB-0D3FAF1408FCE030 - Taken by corrosivefrost
Chernobyl Commando -- MB-E1FD28F180815BD5 - Taken by Rhaknar
Storm in a Teacup -- MB-8B3012675826EA97 - Taken by nightstorm
iBomber Defense Plus iBomber Defense Pacific -- MB-3B77F44174C88D7D - Taken by 19Kilo
Storm in a Teacup #2 -- MB-73B6CA0995D6B1CF - Taken by wetflame
Tribloos 2 #2 -- MB-AB5525306559DEA7 - Taken by bobnowhere
Numba Deluxe -- MB-C8900A80ECACE3A6 - Taken by redlacs
Tribloos 2 -- MB-519D36BDB74B4975 - Taken by Catshade

Lomax

As much as I love D:OS, according to Swen, it actually cost around $5.4 million to complete. I would love to know how many people are working on Wasteland 2 though. Larian is only around 40 people.

Yeah, I'm sure Kickstarter helped D:OS and certainly drove the hype, but the game was already well into development when it went on Kickstarter and most of the budget was internal. Wasteland 2 wouldn't exist without Kickstarter. Now I haven't played either and from what I've read D:OS does look a lot better, but you can't say it's based on budget alone. Larian has been making and releasing RPGs pretty continuously for a decade now, one would expect their game to have more polish and higher quality honestly.

Stallion Free

Cock Encumbered
Stump made a rather nice analysis of digital games sales in the "console digital sales suck hard" thread that I think is relevant and interesting to this thread:

You don't get to just use the word "competition" as though the mere presence of multiple stores makes it so. PC digital download storefronts don't undercut each other, by and large. Valve doesn't set prices on games. Valve never gives up its 30% cut. Valve also lets developers and publishers print an infinite number of keys for free and resell them anywhere at any cost with no cut to Valve. The stores that do give up some of their 30% cut do so because they're just reselling Steam keys, and the amount of the money the publisher is making is still comparable. The biggest innovation in pricing in the last few years have been indie bundles, which again exist because of Steam key resale possiiblities.

Imagine we're talking about Batman: Arkham Dancefest 2016. And it's on Amazon and it's on Steam and it's on 80 other DD services. Why would there be price competition between the services? WB sets the price on each. If WB wants the game to be $10, it can make the game $10. If WB sets the price to $10 on Amazon, they have full power to do so on Steam as well. Valve isn't going to ask them. Valve doesn't care. Valve has pre-planned sales events and they sent out a mass email to all publishers saying "well if you want to put your shit on sale set some prices using our tools if not good riddance". They're not pushing price curves lower. And they wouldn't give up their 30% cut for anything. So WB puts the game on for $10 on every service. Now it's possible that GamersGate, since they have no costs associated with selling a Steam key, is willing to help knock the game down to $8 by giving up some of their 30%. But there's no change on the publisher side of things, and ultimately what you get is a Steam key which you redeem on Steam and play on Steam.

And we're talking about peanuts. We're not talking about the structural pricing differences between retail and digital on consoles, right, we're talking about 10-20% around the margins as a few-month head-start compared with Valve's pricing. Like, I am not convinced any digital retailer ever actually has "better" sales, the question is where does a game first hit a particular pricepoint, we're really talking about a few weeks. It's always stuff like "oh, Amazon had this Sega pack on for $8 like a month and a half before Valve had a similar pack on for a similar amount!" That's not really competition, it's just differing timing on sale events.

Pricing strategies are based on the publishers knowing that PC is primarily about the long-tail, and what they lose in up-front sales they make up for with a longer sales curve helped by aggressive price stratification. Each sale you drop the price further and soak up more of the demand at that price level. I don't think WB is going to drop their game prices faster because of competition between storefronts, I think they're going to drop their game prices faster because they look at the data, they see what best suits their goals, and they decide to do it.

And then there's Origin; where 99.999% of stuff that's sold is not on Steam. Why would there be price competition between two entirely disjoint systems? If I want to buy Battlefield 4, that's on Origin. It's not on Steam. Origin and Steam aren't competing against each other to sell be Battlefield 4.

If you want to argue that competition is leading to better featuresets, then that makes sense. But it doesn't seem to be, to me. Most of the PC DD storefronts have no particular featuresets, and what features they do have (like GMG's digital trade-ins) are totally underused and have not been copied by anyone. Meanwhile, when new features are added to, say, Steam, they seem not in any way connected to the kind of features competitors have. No one has anything like trading cards, or like an inventory trade system in general, no one is doing meta-games for their sales, no one was supporting OSX or Linux or allowing cross-buy for OSX and Linux when Valve added it, no one else had anything like Family Sharing, no other services have service-wide F2P functionality (which Valve added). I'm not mentioning this to praise Valve or say they're doing a good job. I'm just mentioning it to point out that they don't seem to be reacting to external competition from other DD stores.

You know what I do think has driven competition for Valve? Early Access stuff. They missed out on Minecraft and as more new games adopted that model, they worried they were missing out. So they introduced Early Access. So the one thing that I feel like actually was competition didn't come from a rival service, but rather a rival idea.

Impulse, which had a client, now doesn't. GMG, which has a client, doesn't use it. I believe GameFly has basically been phasing theirs out. Desura is basically abandoned. All the new competitors like Amazon, Humble, ShinyLoot, and the different bundle services don't use clients at all. Seems to me like from the client side, there's actually less competition now than ever. Origin and Battle.net are the only two healthy clients, and neither of them have any content overlap with Steam.

The reason console DD sucks compared to retail is not lack of competition between storefronts, it's unlimited inventory size. If you're retail, rotten stock sucks and you want to move it. You pay upfront to buy stuff and you want to sell it quickly. You have limited space, you don't want stuff that won't sell, and since your business model is built around used games and the same game being traded in many times, you want churn. So there are two actors who can drop the price: the publisher, through MSRP drops and price protection; and the retailer, who can take a loss just to liquidate the stock.

On digital storefronts, including on PC, there's one actor who can drop the price; the publisher, and there's no limit to the amount of stock, and there's no upfront cost. This means that there's no pressure to move copies now rather than later. It means that if a publisher doesn't have the resources to try to push their stuff (there are defunct companies whose products get price drops at retail but who would never even fill out the form to drop a price on a digital service, let alone work with someone like Microsoft or Sony to get their game placed in a smaller sale), no one is dropping the price. In the OP's Call of Duty example, Call of Duty gets garbage sales on PC as well, and it gets garbage sales because Activision does not want older games cannibalizing the sales for newer games--in other words, they don't want their own games competing on price with each other.

Btw, console digital sales do suck. And the good shit is behind a paywall which means it still sucks.

Chariot

This Magic game seems pretty interesting since they said it has deck building and all. I've never played Magic before, but I like Card games, and one digital like this make it much easier to play. My experience with Card games is relegated to Pokemon TCG on the gameboy color lol. I think it was the kickstarter video for Hex that got me interested in a digital card game, but being new I don't know which of the 3 game packages to buy. Complete seems to be the most likely choice since it seems to come with 300 cards which would be useful for building a deck which I really like to do. Found a seller doing special edition for 7 keys and complete for 10 keys. Does Magic play on PC usually play alot like that Hex kickstarter video gameplay? I liked how streamlined everything looked.

EDIT: HMM found one for 8 keys now for the complete. Now this is truly tempting.
I don't know much about Hex, but it seems close enough that WotC's legal department is jumping on it. And Magic is a old game that was steadily improved. I played with real cards once, until it was just too expensive to keep up with my damn friends. I found it very fun, more than any other game and I tried a lot of TCG's, including the ones that died in the first generation.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom