• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

STEAM | July 2014-2 In his house at R'lyeh, dead Cthulhu waits dreaming

Status
Not open for further replies.
Thought I'd set up a little SpeedRunners competition, I'm feeling a bit ballsy so it's with a special prize!

Prize:
330x192

Rules:
1. You do not already own this game.
2. You will activate it to your own library, no trading or reselling the gift.
3. You have to be the winner of a full race.
4. We will play a race once in every level.

Quote this post to reserve a spot in the competition!

Competitors:
#1: DunderHassan
#2: BernadoOne
#3: Kiru
#4: The_Super_Inframan

Damn, I missed the opportunity :(

Archaix

Drunky McMurder
For anybody who is bummed about Blur and hasn't played at least twenty or so hours of Speedrunners to practice: Don't worry about it. You'd only have ended up disappointed.

morningbus

Serious Sam is a wicked gahbidge series for chowdaheads.
For anybody who is bummed about Blur and hasn't played at least twenty or so hours of Speedrunners to practice: Don't worry about it. You'd only have ended up disappointed.
Yeah, but I've got my kid brother who withdrew into videogames after the death of his twin sister on my side.

Archaix

Drunky McMurder
That's how long it took me to beat Dunder.

I'm at about 12 and I'm firmly in the "Finish third to Nabs & Dunder 90% of the time" camp. At least I get to watch your races and not fall victim to the evil taunt/hook combo as often.

Yeah, but I've got my kid brother who withdrew into videogames after the death of his twin sister on my side.

Have you visited any walk-in dinosaur models lately though? This is important.

Shadownet

Banned
Bear in Mind sounds like a comic villain who is a mindaltering bear.

I thought that what Liez is? A mind-altering bear that make you buy his cheap games but there is a mysterious intent behind it..

I don't know what you're up to you mind control Russian Bear. But you're up to something.

D

Deleted member 98878

Unconfirmed Member
Damn, that's a long time! I'm going to spend the next month in the US without my computer, thankfully I'm not missing any big release that I care about.

I just finished school and thought that now would be the best time to do some travelling before I start going to university. And, of course, all games I'm really hyped for, are released right during that time. Meh.

On the upside, I'll see Australia, SEA, New Zealand, Hawaii and California.

The hardest part will be selling my pc, though.

I just finished school and thought that now would be the best time to do some travelling before I start going to university. And, of course, all games I'm really hyped for, are released right during that time. Meh.

On the upside, I'll see Australia, SEA, New Zealand, Hawaii and California.

The hardest part will be selling my pc, though.
Why are you selling your PC?

header_292x136.jpg

Sunless Sea

The following are my early impressions from the Unterzee:

I've managed to spend a couple hours with the game so far and I must say I've thoroughly enjoyed my time with it. The game's setting is a Victorian Gothic world under the Earth. At the start you are tasked with forging your destiny/story by choosing your captain's silhouette, name, and back-story. Captain, you say? Why yes, in Sunless Sea the name of the game is piloting your steamship across the dark and unlit reaches of the sea in search of trade or treasure. Be warned though, the sea can be a harsh mistress. There are things out there that will drive a man mad with terror. Pirates will set upon you, sea monsters, bats, old gods, and more lie in wait for the unwary traveler.

Playing through the game has reminded me of a board game that my wife and I love to play. That board game is Arkham Horror (and its expansions). The H.P. Lovecraft influence can seen and read in the game's lore and art. The atmosphere, writing, music, and art in the game have all been wonderfully presented. I like that I am the master of my own destiny here. I choose where to go and what to do. I can follow along with the story and unravel the mysteries of the game or just wander off on my own in search of who knows what.

I'll leave discussion of the game mechanics and systems to those who are more qualified than me. The game isn't Finnish as of yet. So I have noticed that there are some things missing in the game. Some of the story isn't in yet and once I ran across a placeholder enemy but there seems to be plenty of content already. The developers have regularly patched the game and there is a roadmap on their site for upcoming content updates. I believe the game is currently scheduled to be fully released in September. If the game is of interest to you but you are wary of the early access state, I'd add it to your wishlist and keep an eye on September. I am really looking forward to seeing what comes and am still interested in seeing what the game has to offer.

Vazra

irresponsible vagina leak
You guys can download Abyss Odyssey now! Exit Steam and open it again and should let you install.

Only takes 1GB

lashman

Steam-GAF's Official Ambassador to Gaming-GAF
header_292x136.jpg

Sunless Sea

The following are my early impressions from the Unterzee:

I've managed to spend a couple hours with the game so far and I must say I've thoroughly enjoyed my time with it. The game's setting is a Victorian Gothic world under the Earth. At the start you are tasked with forging your destiny/story by choosing your captain's silhouette, name, and back-story. Captain, you say? Why yes, in Sunless Sea the name of the game is piloting your steamship across the dark and unlit reaches of the sea in search of trade or treasure. Be warned though, the sea can be a harsh mistress. There are things out there that will drive a man mad with terror. Pirates will set upon you, sea monsters, bats, old gods, and more lie in wait for the unwary traveler.

Playing through the game has reminded me of a board game that my wife and I love to play. That board game is Arkham Horror (and its expansions). The H.P. Lovecraft influence can seen and read in the game's lore and art. The atmosphere, writing, music, and art in the game have all been wonderfully presented. I like that I am the master of my own destiny here. I choose where to go and what to do. I can follow along with the story and unravel the mysteries of the game or just wander off on my own in search of who knows what.

I'll leave discussion of the game mechanics and systems to those who are more qualified than me. The game isn't Finnish as of yet. So I have noticed that there are some things missing in the game. Some of the story isn't in yet and once I ran across a placeholder enemy but there seems to be plenty of content already. The developers have regularly patched the game and there is a roadmap on their site for upcoming content updates. I believe the game is currently scheduled to be fully released in September. If the game is of interest to you but you are wary of the early access state, I'd add it to your wishlist and keep an eye on September. I am really looking forward to seeing what comes and am still interested in seeing what the game has to offer.

see? SEE?!? I told you all it's a really good game ... haven't I? :p

Easy_D

never left the stone age
Guys, can you feed ModBot with Humble Bundle gift links as well? Or should I just hide them in the Email field? I have 2 (used to be 3, but since Humble absolutely refuses to just give the activation code out these days) kickas games I want to give back to the community :)

Who do you advocate using then? I'm thinking it could be a good idea learning a "basic" character (shoto) first.

I do the trials to learn concepts and the basics, and learn the game basically. I certainly don't expect to do these combos in online mp :D

Ken is always greater than Ryu... :p
But if you want a shoto, there are tons of them.
I would try the first 5-10 trials of a character you're interested in... if it's not clicking, try the next.

Things you can learn that will translate to a large majority of characters and are "basics" that are not character specific:
(1) Learn how to use focus attacks... make sure you understand the properties of them because they play an important part in intermediate to advanced play.
(2) Learn the special input motions as these translate between similar characters (and even beyond); rolling motions are probably the most frequently occurring but learning to do the correct inputs for a charge character can be very useful too.
(3) Learn to dash. I still have problems with this as I was mainly a SSF2T player and didn't have a lot of experience with SF3 before SF4 released, so the concept of dashing is foreign to me.
(4) Learn to cancel normals into specials. If you're having trouble, consider the actual inputs necessary... for Ryu (and some of the other shotos, I think) crouching MK is a good poke and it cancels into hadoken. So use this as the start of your hadoken motion and if you see the foot connect, finish rolling to forward on your stick and hit your punch button.
(5) Other basics to worry about before you get into links/FADC/FADC>Ultra/combos/etc.: Spacing, poking, and anti-airs.

Before you put in a ton of time with a character, make sure they're the character you want to use. The more familiar you are with the moveset (normals, specials) the more skilled you will be able to use them for things I mention above.

Once you get all that down, then you can worry about links, combos, FADC, and all the fancier stuff. :)

And while sometimes characters are a bit odd compared the the rest, to this day I can at least competently use all characters from the original SF2CE competently (and even those from SSF2T to an extent).

Dusk Golem

A 21st Century Rockefeller
Guys, can you feed ModBot with Humble Bundle gift links as well? Or should I just hide them in the Email field? I have 2 (used to be 3, but since Humble absolutely refuses to just give the activation code out these days) kickas games I want to give back to the community :)

Can feed Modbot Humble and other bundle links. Works just like a game code, just put the link where'd you put the game code usually.

TronLight

Everybody is Mikkelsexual
I'm going out, reposting this again, still 9 hours left.

ModBot said:
Instructions for participants:
I am giving away a Steam key. To enter this giveaway, send a PM to ModBot with any subject line. In the body, copy and paste the entire line from the message below containing the game you want to enter for.

ModBot Basics:
- This giveaway has a manual blocklist. The giver has identified members who abuse giveaways and restricted them from participating.
- I really appreciate thank you messages, but please send them to me (TronLight, not ModBot!) via PM instead of in thread.
- Do not trade keys you win off-site to enrich yourself. Don't try to claim games you have no interest in collecting or playing. Don't claim games to give them to friends off-site.
- If the key is already taken you will not receive a reply. Replies may take a minute or two.

Rules for this Giveaway:
- If you are a lurker you are not eligible for this giveaway. You need five or more posts in either the current Steam thread or the previous one to be eligible
- This giveaway is a raffle. The winners will be selected by random draw 24 hours after the draw was created. Any games not claimed after that point will be given away first come first serve.

t1cxE6r.gif
Wasteland 2 -- MB-797AF78E128F2E65

t1405472974z1.png

Heartbroken that I missed this post. I worked on Blur (it was my first game), and would love the chance to win it for my Steam library.

I realise this is against the spirit of the competition, but if the winner doesn't actually want to play the game I'll gladly buy you any full-price game (or two) on Steam in exchange, or buy a few nice things as a SteamGAF giveaway.

I feel like such a prick for writing that, but this was my baby :(

Well, fuck.
Now I want to get you a copy of Blur somehow.

That's fucking retarded. They deceive you by saying that there is a 33% discount on preorders only to reduce the base price to that same value on release.

ACE Team gonna ACE Team...

Rhaknar

The Steam equivalent of the drunk friend who keeps offering to pay your tab all night.
That's fucking retarded. They deceive you by saying that there is a 33% discount on preorders only to reduce the base price to that same value on release.

holy shit that is SCUMMY AS SHIT

yo Nito where you at?

Jawmuncher

I'm assuming the 9.99 price is for the game itself. While the 14.99 is with the soundtrack?

So the deal was getting the soundtrack at the regular price.

I'm assuming the 9.99 price is for the game itself. While the 14.99 is with the soundtrack?

store page said:
Purchase Abyss Odyssey before July 15 to take advantage of TWO special offers: a huge 33% discount off the regular price and a copy of the game's mesmerizing soundtrack.

The regular price is 9.99 (now).
If there is a game + OST bundle for 14.99 it should be on the store page.

Caerith

Seems that way, but the way it was presented suggested you'd be getting the soundtrack in addition to a discount on the game.

Hugstable

Banned
Wake up to play some Dark Souls this morning, decide to try out the shortcut to Lost Izalith since I hadn't taken that path yet to get the Sun Helm and

*SPOILERS YO*

They made me fight Broliare! NOOOOOO! What happened why did I have to kill my bro :(. Now I'm truly alone in Dark Souls, Brolaire was always my pal, but now he lays here dead.

Edit: also where can I find Titanite Chunks? I need them to upgrade my Grass Crest Shield, but I don't seem to have any now.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom