• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

STEAM | July 2014-2 In his house at R'lyeh, dead Cthulhu waits dreaming

Status
Not open for further replies.

Rhaknar

The Steam equivalent of the drunk friend who keeps offering to pay your tab all night.
The Complete Bundle includes the Special Edition content, plus 300 foil stickers and the following bonus card collections:

Innistrad Card Collection
Theros Card Collection
Ravnica Card Collection
Shandalar Card Collection
Zendikar Card Collection

so are those expansions to be released seperately later on or what? the word collection is...strange

redlacs

I played Civ V for like...10 minutes.

I half feel like it just isn't my thing and half feel that I should give it a longer chance.

maybe the answer for you lies in multiplayer. challenge a friend!

in any case, its not necessarily series for everyone, but it would be a pity if it would be your thing and you never got to find out

Grief.exe

Stump made a rather nice analysis of digital games sales in the "console digital sales suck hard" thread that I think is relevant and interesting to this thread:

Btw, console digital sales do suck. And the good shit is behind a paywall which means it still sucks.

Great read from stump. Thanks for posting that here as many of us would have avoided that thread like the plague.

Fuu

Formerly Alaluef (not Aladuf)
Stump made a rather nice analysis of digital games sales in the "console digital sales suck hard" thread that I think is relevant and interesting to this thread:

Btw, console digital sales do suck. And the good shit is behind a paywall which means it still sucks.
Thanks for posting it here. I cackled @ Batman: Arkham Dancefest 2016 though, it needs to be real.

Lomax

I don't know much about Hex, but it seems close enough that WotC's legal department is jumping on it. And Magic is a old game that was steadily improved. I played with real cards once, until it was just too expensive to keep up with my damn friends. I found it very fun, more than any other game and I tried a lot of TCG's, including the ones that died in the first generation.

Magic is basically the WoW of the TCG market, it's so old and well established that anything new just can't really compete. My favorite old time CCG was always the old Decipher Star Wars CCG, not just for the universe but also the mechanics. There's actually a card game that's gone through Greenlight that has very similar mechanics to it called Draconian Wars that I've played some, nothing else I've played has been similar, they all try to be Magic v17.

What a steam shill.

excellent post. Thanks for pasting here

aren't the challenges tied to each character?

Well yes. It was simply a statement saying that using Ryu is something that I do not advocate. :p

And it depends. Sometimes you can do things with multiple characters that share that particular moveset -- so that combo in trial 9 would probably work with Ken and maybe other shotos, though I can't say for sure.

Why are you doing the trials? If it's to learn concepts and stuff, cool. If it's to try to teach yoursefl usable-in-match combos, don't. Go look up some match friendly stuff and don't waste your time practicing stuff from the later trials for any character... in most cases it's just a test of skill and not actually something viable (though sometimes important concepts can be learned from them if you're paying attention).

Thought I'd set up a little SpeedRunners competition, I'm feeling a bit ballsy so it's with a special prize!

Prize:
330x192

Rules:
1. You do not already own this game.
2. You will activate it to your own library, no trading or reselling the gift.
3. You have to be the winner of a full race.
4. We will play a race once in every level.

Quote this post to reserve a spot in the competition!

Competitors:
#1: DunderHassan
#2: BernadoOne
#3: Kiru
#4: The_Super_Inframan

Heartbroken that I missed this post. I worked on Blur (it was my first game), and would love the chance to win it for my Steam library.

I realise this is against the spirit of the competition, but if the winner doesn't actually want to play the game I'll gladly buy you any full-price game (or two) on Steam in exchange, or buy a few nice things as a SteamGAF giveaway.

I feel like such a prick for writing that, but this was my baby :(

Rhaknar

The Steam equivalent of the drunk friend who keeps offering to pay your tab all night.
Blink Bundle @BlinkBundle · 16h

Keep an eye out for our 2nd Steam Trading Cards themed bundle launching soon... and with more to come!

soon hopefully means today, I miss a good blink bundle

Due to so situations in my life I stopped reading this thread for 4-5 days. So much for less off-topic!

Anyway, GAMES: Volgarr is harder than I expected, which is a good thing!

Stumpokapow

listen to the mad man
You see this, Activision?

Heartbroken that I missed this post. I worked on Blur (it was my first game), and would love the chance to win it for my Steam library.

I realise this is against the spirit of the competition, but if the winner doesn't actually want to play the game I'll gladly buy you any full-price game (or two) on Steam in exchange, or buy a few nice things as a SteamGAF giveaway.

This is what you have wrought.

You see this, Activision?

This is what you have wrought.

It's my own fault for not picking it up when it was $10 at various times, but that was before I switched over to PC gaming.

But yeah, I remember JaseC and another SteamGaffer posting some comments about Blur a while back, to which I wrote a long detailed reply and then never posted. I should check if I still have the .txt doc at home.

Fuu

Formerly Alaluef (not Aladuf)

Someone help this man.

Yakkue

There was no winner, because nobody was able to beat Dunder.

Faith in Destiny + Scenarios are Steamworks, so they have to redeem on steam. The rest is "other DRM" or "DRM free" though.

wilflare

Why is Watch Dogs in a good games list?

You have one W too many, and the order of the games is incorrect to match the acronym :p

I think I was trying too hard to fit the acronym. I should have just replaced Watch Dogs with Dark Souls II

---
Humble Bundle Weekly
Edge of Space
Lifeless Planet
Signs of Life

- are these 3 games worth playing $10 for?

---
Murphy Law's is happening in my life right now.
I got a bad batch of hardware
- PSU fan is WAY TOO LOUD... (SEASONIC M12II-750W MODULAR)
- Dell Monitor U2412M - Dell coming for a 1-1 exchange for a loose power connection
- gonna try to replace my ASUS R280X... and hope there's no more artefacts

RionaaM

Unconfirmed Member

Thanks for the post. I'm gonna read it in the original thread to see the context behind it.

aku:jiki

The Complete Bundle includes the Special Edition content, plus 300 foil stickers and the following bonus card collections:

Innistrad Card Collection
Theros Card Collection
Ravnica Card Collection
Shandalar Card Collection
Zendikar Card Collection

so are those expansions to be released seperately later on or what? the word collection is...strange
No, it means a set of cards from each of those "planes". Each of those planes has had a set of physical cards related to them. The reason they say "collection" is because it's not the full set, most likely, but a selection of cards from each. Since they're named after planes and not sets, there might be cards from sets not directly related or named after said planes.

To clarify, Ravnica is a "plane" where the planet is almost covered by a gigantic city and the theme is rivaling guilds who specialize in crossbreed magic (so one guild combine green and white magic, for example). Theros is themed after greco-roman mythology, so minotaurs and gods and stuff. Innistrad is the "horror" plane with lots of vampires, werewolves and shit.

Basically, they're (probably) offering you a card pool from each of these sets so you can make a deck around the theme you like the most. Like minotaurs, go for a Theros deck. There are also gameplay-specific differences between these sets, or at least probably (depending on if they're doing planes or sets), but I won't go into all that since y'all won't have any idea what I'm talking about if you're not very familiar with MTG. Theros has a fun one that beginners can grasp and enjoy.

Turfster

Because they're awful like PewDiePie and no one can understand how the fuck they have such a following?

I dunno, how about groups with people that have proven track records in making games (Double Fine, inXile, etc.) as opposed to Let's Players?

Basically, yeah.
It rustles my jimmies that they flushed half a million dollars in less than half a year.
What the fuck?
If I had half a million dollars, I'd make you a game in that time.
It might not be the best game ever (these things, they take time), but you'd get something approaching the target

Good read. Thanks for the repost.

So I got alien isolation as a gift.

Does it include the nostromo DLC ? is there a way to check ?
JellyIt was brought during the preorder window, so it should.

jshackles

Gentlemen, we can rebuild it. We have the capability to make the world's first enhanced store. Steam will be that store. Better than it was before.
No, it means a set of cards from each of those "planes". Each of those planes has had a set of physical cards related to them. The reason they say "collection" is because it's not the full set, most likely, but a selection of cards from each. Since they're named after planes and not sets, there might be cards from sets not directly related or named after said planes.

To clarify, Ravnica is a "plane" where the planet is almost covered by a gigantic city and the theme is rivaling guilds who specialize in crossbreed magic (so one guild combine green and white magic, for example). Theros is themed after greco-roman mythology, so minotaurs and gods and stuff. Innistrad is the "horror" plane with lots of vampires, werewolves and shit.

Basically, they're (probably) offering you a card pool from each of these sets so you can make a deck around the theme you like the most. Like minotaurs, go for a Theros deck. There are also gameplay-specific differences between these sets, or at least probably (depending on if they're doing planes or sets), but I won't go into all that since y'all won't have any idea what I'm talking about if you're not very familiar with MTG. Theros has a fun one that beginners can grasp and enjoy.

I believe (though it hasn't yet been confirmed) that all of these cards from all of these "collections" are unlockable in-game. So buying the deluxe edition is just basically ruining the fun of unlocking new cards. Of course, you'll have to wait until the game is fully released to know for sure, but I suspect that's the case - at least it has been the last 4(?) years they've released a Magic game on Steam.

They didn't want to use the word "set" here because they didn't want people confusing them with the actual paper card game "sets".

Rhaknar

I believe (though it hasn't yet been confirmed) that all of these cards from all of these "collections" are unlockable in-game. So buying the deluxe edition is just basically ruining the fun of unlocking new cards. Of course, you'll have to wait until the game is fully released to know for sure, but I suspect that's the case - at least it has been the last 4(?) years they've released a Magic game on Steam.

was about to ask this, thanks for "confirming" it shack

aku:jiki

Oh yeah, that's pretty much definitely true. They're not stupid enough to create a split between players like that.

They didn't want to use the word "set" here because they didn't want people confusing them with the actual paper card game "sets".
And the reason they didn't want to confuse people is, I think, because it's a selection of cards and not the entire set.

The big clue to that being that there is no set called Shandalar.

Rhaknar

getting nostalgic about my Magic days when I was a kid now. Actually won a local tournament too, good times

Dr Dogg

Always like Stump's made up game names. I want Batman: Arkham Dancefest 2016 now but I'm still waiting on Scribblenauts Hunger Games Edition. Actually come to think of it Stump do you have a fixation of WB IPs at all?

Digital has only made sense to me during sales. I'd say of all my purchase on Steam 99% of them are when there has been a discount applied. Only in the very rare instance that I want to play something asap and then it's a last resort as I'm sure with a lot of hunting around there is always a cheaper option than Steam. Then again got to love the crippling UK retail sector for entertainment products at the moment.

I know it's completely different in NA where retail PC sales haven't been in any sort of healthy state for over a decade but here in the UK and even more so in other parts of Europe like Germany retail PC games are still stocked quiet well. Couple that with most of them being Steam redeemable these days, games sales still being front loaded, still the most transient form of entertainment media and none of these retailers want dead stock taking up inventory space there are bargains a plenty to be had. This year I got Wolf:14, on release for £17.60 something which was cheaper than what the daily deal was during the Summer Sale not to mention my Collectors Ed of Divinity Original Sin which turned up a week before the official release was just over £40, again cheaper than the Steam equivalent and has a fair few physical extras. I grabbed Murdered: Soul Suspect whilst food shopping at the local Supermarket for just over £16 also on release and then there was the rush-on-site-preorder strategy through Amazon to get Dark Souls II Black Armour edition for £23 when everywhere else was offering a digital copy for £40.

And that's only this year!

GaussTek

Shantae: Risky's Revenge is supposed to come out today but no Steam page yet.

Wayforward... :/

Edit. Oh, it's going to be $9.99. That's fine I guess, considering the DSiWare version is still $12.

D

Deleted member 125677

Unconfirmed Member
Well yes. It was simply a statement saying that using Ryu is something that I do not advocate. :p

And it depends. Sometimes you can do things with multiple characters that share that particular moveset -- so that combo in trial 9 would probably work with Ken and maybe other shotos, though I can't say for sure.

Why are you doing the trials? If it's to learn concepts and stuff, cool. If it's to try to teach yoursefl usable-in-match combos, don't. Go look up some match friendly stuff and don't waste your time practicing stuff from the later trials for any character... in most cases it's just a test of skill and not actually something viable (though sometimes important concepts can be learned from them if you're paying attention).

Who do you advocate using then? I'm thinking it could be a good idea learning a "basic" character (shoto) first.

I do the trials to learn concepts and the basics, and learn the game basically. I certainly don't expect to do these combos in online mp :D

Good post by stump. What do you think will change on DD when comparing consoles and PC stump?
With DD's margin becoming higher and its advantages for pubs (no hardware production cost, easy restocking, lower risk) I imagine new options becoming available in the future. Maybe subscriptions based on franchises, publishers or genres.

Also, I hope the winner of Blur makes the deal with ascotabroad.

Shadownet

Banned

This post make me wanna cry :(

Rhaknar

Packing up my house and found my baseball card collection. Complete with about 150 Magic cards. It's taking me back...

continuing from my ace of base kick the other day when I played Gone Home, now ive been listening to Offspring all day... I think im officially having a midlife crisis >_>

legacyzero

Banned

Damn..
:(

Vazra

irresponsible vagina leak
You right, only bought 2 copies :/.

There are 46 friends on Steam that have it wishlisted but how many of them are really interested?

You could try taking info from that (about 44 are from GAF) and do a rough estimate of the people who would be interested in actually buying it.

liezryou

If you want it that bad, PM me on steam, I can probably help you get ahold of a copy (bear in mind it's going to cost somewhere in the area of 90$+).

Fox318

ModBot said:
Instructions for participants:
I am giving away 3 Steam keys. To enter this giveaway, send a PM to ModBot with any subject line. In the body, copy and paste the entire line from the message below that corresponds to the game you want. (if you include more than one game, you will be blocked from entering).

ModBot Basics:
- I really appreciate thank you messages, but please send them to me (Fox318, not ModBot!) via PM instead of in thread.
- Do not trade keys you win off-site to enrich yourself. Don't try to claim games you have no interest in collecting or playing. Don't claim games to give them to friends off-site.
- If the key is already taken you will not receive a reply. Replies may take a minute or two.

Rules for this Giveaway:
- If you are a lurker you are not eligible for this giveaway. You need five or more posts in either the current Steam thread or the previous one to be eligible
- This giveaway is a raffle. The winners will be selected by random draw 3 hours after the draw was created. Any games not claimed after that point will be given away first come first serve.

Overlord 1 -- MB-8A6A870BD47FFDF7 - Taken by PLASTICA-MAN. 4 entrants total.
Overlord II -- MB-9C870C7A4784F48C - Taken by Jadax. 3 entrants total.
Batman Arkham Asylum GOTY -- MB-CC0C7FBD54672006 - Taken by bacon-bits. 9 entrants total.

By the way, there were some errors processing your keys...
Note: The key you added for Overlord II was already listed in ModBot from a previous giveaway of yours, but was not taken. Updating key info to match new giveaway.
Note: The key you added for Batman Arkham Asylum GOTY was already listed in ModBot from a previous giveaway of yours, but was not taken. Updating key info to match new giveaway.

t1405449527z1.png

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom