• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

STEAM | July 2014-2 In his house at R'lyeh, dead Cthulhu waits dreaming

Status
Not open for further replies.
D

Deleted member 98878

Unconfirmed Member
Another free PCgamer game with trading cards and I just got a Papers, Please Booster Pack

VPak0LF.jpg

Dr Dogg

While I don't have cable and no use for M&M's cards I do except M&M's (not the peanut ones though, yuck!) if you don't mind posting any you might have my way.

I don't think I comprehended just how complicated a limbo the licence and source code would be in till just now. Boy can I dream though! And yeah, I really love how authentic the game is to Syd's concept art. I also like the sort of analogous way of experiencing the Blade Runner world and exploring it as a character that runs parallel to the film but still outside of it

When I was playing Murdered: Soul Suspect one of the first games that came to mind was Blade Runner although they are quite different they do have a very similar vibe (perpetual darkness is the main thing as well as how you interact and investigate with the world). I completely forgot this also has Vangelis' soundtrack as well. Watched 4 copies on eBay now!

Too easy, just get Ubi to hire her as a VA in the next AssCreed.

If that happens I doubt we'll ever hear from Jase again.

The source code is probably the bigger issue as EA owns the game itself. Generally, to re-release a licensed game, a publisher needs to licence the IP again for a nominal fee, but this could be avoided by EA and WB agreeing on a sales revenue split, although I can't say I'm aware of any examples of this approach being opted for in lieu of the aforementioned usual method. Frankly, I've long believed that the concept of IP licensing as it generally unfolds is rather archaic -- a contract expiration, especially in this day and age where a game can be distributed at virtually no cost, should not affect content that was released for public consumption during the contract period.

Lets be honest IP Licensing is still stuck in the realms of serving retail rather than digital. The intent is there is only ever going to be a finite amount of copies available and when said publisher/distributor has gone through their initial offering they're going to know if a licence is worth renewing or not. Obviously digital distribution is a complete different kettle of fish, though while still having a front heavy sells spike, has a much larger tail due to unlimited supply and sales opportunities to milk generate more revenue from a licence. Hopefully publishers and licence holders see the potential going forward and work out their contracts on a more adhoc basis than a ticking timer. Saying that IP, Copyright and Patent Laws the world over are still stuck in the dark ages and in urgent need of reforms.

Scythian

You know what? When Abyss Odyssey isn't acting like a giant hole, I rather like it. Reminds me of Cadash in a good way... Maybe it and Spelunky had a I've child. Now if only ACE Team can fix the bugs and supports it with some hefty additional content...

I'm starting to love it too, the more you spend with it the more you like it I guess. Fighting's fun and all, but it still needs some tweaking and polishing. If they do it right it can greatly improve with subsequent patches.

The Cowboy

Neat, now if only the site wouldn't mess me around, tried to sign in and it stated i couldn't as the log in system had changed and it suggested resetting my password which i tried to do - now its, your IP has been blocked due to many authentication attempts.

Guess I'll try again later.
-
Edit.
Got it now.

Hugstable

Banned
I am always online, even when I hang out most of the time on GAF and Twitter :DNo big one at least.
I just liked Eska and when people started the Alpaca thing I noticed that she just stared at the Alpaca I inserted. I then just started to rotate random cool Gaffers (and some random stuff) through my avatar.

jbcQ4gq3OUah70_e.jpg
iV0Bj7gIUSRnZ.png
ibekQe2mu05fHo.png
ib0pDB7Vwp2xiF.png
iBbjhEEzgbPUc.png
ijDsUh0YE7kta.png
i4Is3daXazPxe.png
ipYDPIyTPiSxU.png

Yeah we gotta play Payday 2 again sometime! Been busy with family stuff for like the last 3 days so I havent't been able to really play much early or late until today! My family is leaving in like 3 hours so it's gonna be Full time Payday robbing again for me! Still waiting for Magic 2015 to release also so I can get info on how the game works if I buy the standard edition.

Rhaknar

The Steam equivalent of the drunk friend who keeps offering to pay your tab all night.
interesting, indiegala now shows (well at least in this case) exactly when a game will get a steam key. on the latest bundle, it says Pressured will be on steam on july 18th (well I guess thats the release date, not exactly 100% if thats when they get the key)

Valve finally got around to removing those useless simulator greenlight games (Water Simulator, Black Screen Simulator, Grass Simulator etc.)

Chariot

suuuuuuuuuuuuuuuuuuuuure :p lol
:p

Oh snap, finally.

SyUIj6n.png
Awww yiss.

Yeah we gotta play Payday 2 again sometime! Been busy with family stuff for like the last 3 days so I havent't been able to really play much early or late until today! My family is leaving in like 3 hours so it's gonna be Full time Payday robbing again for me! Still waiting for Magic 2015 to release also so I can get info on how the game works if I buy the standard edition.
I have to see that I get the day shifts. Tomorrow and friday I have sadly evening ones and thus I am at work when you guys wake up.

Pudge

Putting it up again since it was close to the end of the last page. Thanks for all the XCOM Goodness :D

ModBot said:
Instructions for participants:
I am giving away 12 Steam keys. To enter this giveaway, send a PM to ModBot with any subject line. In the body, copy and paste the entire line from the message below that corresponds to the game you want. (if you include more than one game, you will be blocked from entering).

ModBot Basics:
- I really appreciate thank you messages, but please send them to me (Pudge, not ModBot!) via PM instead of in thread.
- Do not trade keys you win off-site to enrich yourself. Don't try to claim games you have no interest in collecting or playing. Don't claim games to give them to friends off-site.
- If the key is already taken you will not receive a reply. Replies may take a minute or two.

Rules for this Giveaway:
- If you are a lurker you are not eligible for this giveaway. You need five or more posts in either the current Steam thread or the previous one to be eligible
- This is a free for all! You can enter for multiple games on the list below. Send an individual PM for each game you'd like to win.
- This giveaway is a raffle. The winners will be selected by random draw 3 hours after the draw was created. Any games not claimed after that point will be given away first come first serve.

Sideway: New York -- MB-6E0E5A58310AAD19
Muffin Knight -- MB-1C9702EA54B214F7 - Taken by Gianni Merryman. 5 entrants total.
Mirror's Edge -- MB-BCC56FA3A9E1D170 - Taken by Egamer. 8 entrants total.
A Virus Named TOM -- MB-2285B4FCA34BD3DD - Taken by Sendou. 3 entrants total.
Gnomoria -- MB-385915FF7E1A3829 - Taken by Kuroyume. 4 entrants total.
xheRJRF.gif
Rush Bros. -- MB-39D469D761FB7552
xheRJRF.gif
Bad Bots -- MB-1B350E356C2C461E - Taken by Vuze. 3 entrants total.
8-Bit Commando -- MB-68194F82CA27D0F0
Bastion -- MB-5ACAF94B78EA7465 - Taken by Sub Zero. 5 entrants total.
BOB Came in Pieces -- MB-40380D707670EB37 - Taken by bobnowhere. 2 entrants total.
Bleed -- MB-F98CC992A6D81ED5 - Taken by Henry Swanson. 12 entrants total.
Rocketbirds -- MB-B074C8372D49B736 - Taken by FauX. 3 entrants total.

t1405536062z1.png

RionaaM

Unconfirmed Member
I just realized that I have no poo quotes. Sorry :(

jrLxb7r1ybAOw.png
I don't know what's worse, if the content of the speech bubble, the fact that they put an apostrophe in "yours" or that they used the simple past tense of "drink" instead of the participle. I'll forgive them for putting an extra "s" after the possessive form of the plural of "girl".

JaseC

gave away the keys to the kingdom.
Valve finally got around to removing those useless simulator greenlight games (Water Simulator, Black Screen Simulator, Grass Simulator etc.)

Just as well I didn't upload Saoirse Ronan Avatar Simulator 2013: Craic Edition as it may have been misconstrued as fake. :p

Lomax

quoting myself, I hope someone knows

You could try running another wrapper like x360ce and see if it lets you configure the controllers separately.

I don't know what's worse, if the content of the speech bubble, the fact that they put an apostrophe in "yours" or that they used the simple past tense of "drink" instead of the participle. I'll forgive them for putting an extra "s" after the possessive form of the plural of "girl".

Your theme song, sir: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=8Gv0H-vPoDc

Hugstable

Banned
:p

Awww yiss.

I have to see that I get the day shifts. Tomorrow and friday I have sadly evening ones and thus I am at work when you guys wake up.

Well I'm pretty much free up after my family leaves until I start back school on 8/11 so I'll be ready to play whenever! I'm pretty sure we'll find a good time to get everything done and start blowing ourselves up while making meth again :D

Rhaknar

The Steam equivalent of the drunk friend who keeps offering to pay your tab all night.
got my Stained key from indieroyale debut 3 by emailing the dev, so that works. Also here is Speedball 2 that was added to july madness indiegala

ModBot said:
Instructions for Rhaknar:
Press the quote button to the left of this PM, select the quoted text, copy, and paste in the thread. You can remove these lines from the version you paste.

I am giving away a Steam key. To enter this giveaway, send a PM to ModBot with any subject line. In the body, copy and paste the entire line from the message below containing the game you want to enter for.

ModBot Basics:
- I really appreciate thank you messages, but please send them to me (Rhaknar, not ModBot!) via PM instead of in thread.
- Do not trade keys you win off-site to enrich yourself. Don't try to claim games you have no interest in collecting or playing. Don't claim games to give them to friends off-site.
- If the key is already taken you will not receive a reply. Replies may take a minute or two.

Rules for this Giveaway:
- If you are a lurker you are not eligible for this giveaway. You need five or more posts in either the current Steam thread or the previous one to be eligible

Speedball 2 HD -- MB-FF389D9092AB68FC - Taken by pupo

Beelzebubs

Well that's weird, got gun monkeys to activate on steam and then it arrived in my inventory as a gift as well. Will modbot dump it in a few mins.

morningbus

Serious Sam is a wicked gahbidge series for chowdaheads.

It's an artistic choice, I think: "your is" sounds more like urine.

Coreda

No big one at least.
I just liked Eska and when people started the Alpaca thing I noticed that she just stared at the Alpaca I inserted. I then just started to rotate random cool Gaffers (and some random stuff) through my avatar.

A cute selection ;) Considered using avatars in avatars as a spin-off series, but decided it might be too confusing, so I used the Skywalker version with a transparent background instead for a day or so.

coreda-pug-hoo-dooerj6e.png
coreda-pug-metroidpri6gk0t.png
coreda-pug-mikehattsucfkge.png
coreda-pug-sho_nuff82unjj1.png
coreda-pug-skywalkere7j6e.png

Egamer

40 minutes to go!

Instructions for Egamer:
Press the quote button to the left of this PM, select the quoted text, copy, and paste in the thread. You can remove these lines from the version you paste.

I am giving away a Steam key. To enter this giveaway, send a PM to ModBot with any subject line. In the body, copy and paste the entire line from the message below containing the game you want to enter for.

ModBot Basics:
- I really appreciate thank you messages, but please send them to me (Egamer, not ModBot!) via PM instead of in thread.

Rules for this Giveaway:
- This giveaway is a raffle. The winners will be selected by random draw 3 hours after the draw was created. Any games not claimed after that point will be given away first come first serve.

t1cxE6r.gif
Out of the Park Baseball 15 -- MB-F92AADBEC52F21F2 - Taken by RS4-. 14 entrants total.

t1405529941z1.png

Rhaknar

market lockout also affecting keys bough in the TF2 store is awesome >_>

Indie Royale ‏@indieroyale 1m

There will be a new Indie Royale bundle in around 11 minutes.

Vastag

hello

how long do these market lockouts from using a new card last for anyway? :/

Don't you get the option to validate your new card? I did it when I added a new card. They do two small charges to your card (they don't follow through, so the money doesn't leave your account) and ask you for the amounts to validate it.

Rhaknar

Don't you get the option to validate your new card? I did it when I added a new card. They do two small charges to your card (they don't follow through, so the money doesn't leave your account) and ask you for the amounts to validate it.

I can buy things on steam (at least I think I havent tried), just keys I bought in the TF2 market are locked from trading for 1 week, same as the market lockout. and if you cant trade them, they are useless

Chariot

Haha, I didn't even see that. Yeah, looks like a sloppy job.

Well I'm pretty much free up after my family leaves until I start back school on 8/11 so I'll be ready to play whenever! I'm pretty sure we'll find a good time to get everything done and start blowing ourselves up while making meth again :D
Yay :D

A cute selection ;) Considered using avatars in avatars as a spin-off series, but decided it might be too confusing, so I used the Skywalker version with a transparent background instead for a day or so.

Aww, those are pretty cool. You should wear them.
People had no problems to recognize that I was me.

Zeeman

Going to quote myself from earlier in the thread, I didn't see any response and TLE is only on sale for another half hour.

I see Last Express is on sale for $1.75. Is it worth doubledipping if I own the version on GOG? I haven't really played it yet, but are the updates to the Steam version worth it?

Casimir

Unconfirmed Member

So I wasn't alone in my umbrage? That's comforting.

I have Tomb Raider and noticed there's now a GOTY edition (I have not yet gotten to playing Tomb Raider but have been planning on getting to it soon).

Does buying the GOTY edition create a separate game on my games list along with a separate set of duplicate achievements/trading cards? Is the GOTY content worth it?

If it has any content that is worthwhile, and owning it just duplicates achievements and everything, I may just get the content separate and attach it to my non-GOTY edition. Any info on the matter would be most appreciated!

RP912

Banned
Looking at bloodbowl but don't want to dip because I'm not much of a fan for warhammer...yet I love the concept behind the game.

H1PSTER

> Pugs

So adoreable and I'm tempted to change but I cannot betray Abe.

Lomax

Hahahaha, this was totally incredible. Why haven't I heard anything from this guy before? I've seen his name around, but thought he was a comedian or something.

If your serious, then you're in for a treat, Weird Al is the greatest parody musician of all time. This song he just released yesterday from his new album.

Another debut och mixer bundle?

This is what it should be:

http://www.desura.com/bundle/the-apollo-bundle

Rogue Shooter: The FPS Roguelike
Echo of the Wilds
Talisman Digital Edition
Terrorhedron
Swipecart

Edit: Live now, launched at $2.49 - http://www.indieroyale.com

Nzyme32

When I was playing Murdered: Soul Suspect one of the first games that came to mind was Blade Runner although they are quite different they do have a very similar vibe (perpetual darkness is the main thing as well as how you interact and investigate with the world). I completely forgot this also has Vangelis' soundtrack as well. Watched 4 copies on eBay now!

Might have to get Murdered: Soul Suspect for that vibe alone! Also as a heads up, finding the files online to get it to work can be a hassle despite following a couple of random guides. I compared my retail (DVD) version to the repackaged version someone has linked in a youtube video as well as on GoG, and whoever did it has got everything to work flawlessly without issue from what I can tell, which is pretty incredible. It apparently even works on x64 win 8. So you may be better of using that version if you struggle to find stuff, I lifted the 6mb cpu patch from there

Managed to get my old copy of the 1997 Blade Runner game to work on my laptop. Someone needs to get it up on GoG and Steam, even with the issues of licencing, I completely forgot how good the game was for it's time.

Comparing to something like Wolf Among Us, theres no hand holding, no quest markers or way points, actual investigation of evidence, widely branching story, great setting and even some gun play to boot. What I really like though is the dynamic story. Before you even start the game, it will set characters to a certain alignment, meaning that on that playthrough they will react to suit that but also limit what branches of the story are possible in that instance, even altering evidence and dialogue to fit with the consequence of your actions specific to that playthrough.

Highly recommend grabbing it although it's probably very rare at this point. One day maybe it will resurface on GoG or Steam somehow. There is a new movie coming so who knows

I still have the boxed version of this too, last time I tried it a few years back I think it glitched and I kept dying at a certain point. I played through it throughly back in the day on Windows 98, and yes it is an amazing game.

However, the character graphics are some kind of voxels if I remember correctly with awful distortion issues when viewed up close that do harm the experience a little, the rest of graphics still look awesome though.

I just now went and found the box, one of the big old cardboard ones, it still has all 4 CDs in the included diamond case and even the original Westwood inserts, and hardware survey, but not the instruction manual. Hmm, not sure if I ever did have that in the first place, as it still has the preowned sticker from CEX on it, not bad for £4.

Anyway, it would possibly need to be remastered or remade as I don't think today's gamers would tolerate the character models to the extent a straight up re-release could be financially risky. Then again GOG sells games of similar and much worse image quality so maybe I'm being too pesimistic.

It's one hell of a game though, it captures the Blade Runner atmosphere almost as well as the film does and is as much a detective simulator as it is a graphic adventure game.

Also, it's fitting that one of the original inserts is for classic Hollywood movies on VHS, it's still one of the best movie based games ever.

Caerith

Hahahaha, this was totally incredible. Why haven't I heard anything from this guy before? I've seen his name around, but thought he was a comedian or something.

You're missing out. Weird Al is a musician and interviewer extraordinaire.

I hope you've at least heard of Dr Demento.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom