• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

STEAM | July 2014-2 In his house at R'lyeh, dead Cthulhu waits dreaming

Status
Not open for further replies.

The_Super_Inframan

"the journey to a thousand games ends with bad rats. ~Lao Tzu" ~Gabe Newell
ModBot said:
Instructions for participants:
I am giving away 2 Steam keys. To enter this giveaway, send a PM to ModBot with any subject line. In the body, copy and paste the entire line from the message below that corresponds to the game you want. (if you include more than one game, you will be blocked from entering).

ModBot Basics:
- I really appreciate thank you messages, but please send them to me (The_Super_Inframan, not ModBot!) via PM instead of in thread.
- Do not trade keys you win off-site to enrich yourself. Don't try to claim games you have no interest in collecting or playing. Don't claim games to give them to friends off-site.
- If the key is already taken you will not receive a reply. Replies may take a minute or two.

Rules for this Giveaway:
- This is a free for all! You can enter for multiple games on the list below. Send an individual PM for each game you'd like to win.
- This giveaway is a LIGHTNING raffle. The winners will be selected by random draw 15 minutes after the draw was created. Any games not claimed after that point will be given away first come first serve.

Swipecart -- MB-F755BD732CE5AE09 - Taken by swx. 8 entrants total.
Echo of the Wilds -- MB-ADC516B841852C45 - Taken by sheaaaa. 4 entrants total.

t1405529403z1.png

I'm going to try that later, thanks!

Stop using the garbage driver and get Scp ds3 server installed and running. It manages up to 4 controllers via USB or BT. The only downside is there's currently no ds4 touchpad support and you can't tweak the lightbar color.

aku:jiki

Huh, I guess they completely did away with premade decks in 2015. That's kind of disappointing, having both was the ideal! New players are going to have no idea what color combo to pick after the tutorial, though I'm happy with white and green. Advocate of the Beast is a true bro!

Rhaknar

The Steam equivalent of the drunk friend who keeps offering to pay your tab all night.
games

ModBot said:
Instructions for Rhaknar:
Press the quote button to the left of this PM, select the quoted text, copy, and paste in the thread. You can remove these lines from the version you paste.

Instructions for participants:
I am giving away 2 Steam keys. To enter this giveaway, send a PM to ModBot with any subject line. In the body, copy and paste the entire line from the message below that corresponds to the game you want. (if you include more than one game, you will be blocked from entering).

ModBot Basics:
- I really appreciate thank you messages, but please send them to me (Rhaknar, not ModBot!) via PM instead of in thread.
- Do not trade keys you win off-site to enrich yourself. Don't try to claim games you have no interest in collecting or playing. Don't claim games to give them to friends off-site.
- If the key is already taken you will not receive a reply. Replies may take a minute or two.

Rules for this Giveaway:
- If you are a lurker you are not eligible for this giveaway. You need five or more posts in either the current Steam thread or the previous one to be eligible
- This is a free for all! You can enter for multiple games on the list below. Send an individual PM for each game you'd like to win.

Talisman: Digital Edition -- MB-EC841E4E6B566C80 - Taken by Deques
Echo of the Wilds -- MB-8178737C220C81C7 - Taken by Halo 2

Huh, I guess they completely did away with premade decks in 2015. That's kind of disappointing, having both was the ideal! New players are going to have no idea what color combo to pick after the tutorial, though I'm happy with white and green. Advocate of the Beast is a true bro!

really? how does the campaign even work then?

Err, just realized I contradicted myself there. They do still have premade decks but you only get to have one at a time, it seems, and that's the one you tweak and rebuild with new cards. I see no indication of further deck slots, though maybe that unlocks with campaign or something.

(Magic 2015.)

Casimir

Unconfirmed Member

I haven't played Magic in awhile, but how valid is Blue/Black?

Lomax

First IndieRoyale I've bought in a long long time. Their idiotic price raising system causes them to quickly get beyond the price range I'm interested in even when they do have games I'm curious about. But getting this one for $2.49 was a great deal, would have probably spent a bit more.

Chariot

Err, just realized I contradicted myself there. They do still have premade decks but you only get to have one at a time, it seems, and that's the one you tweak and rebuild with new cards. I see no indication of further deck slots, though maybe that unlocks with campaign or something.

(Magic 2015.)
Eww.
You can buy boosters tho...

I didn't even play yet and I am already pissed of.

Nzyme32

I still have the boxed version of this too, last time I tried it a few years back I think it glitched and I kept dying at a certain point. I played through it throughly back in the day on Windows 98, and yes it is an amazing game.

However, the character graphics are some kind of voxels if I remember correctly with awful distortion issues when viewed up close that do harm the experience a little, the rest of graphics still look awesome though.

I just now went and found the box, one of the big old cardboard ones, it still has all 4 CDs in the included diamond case and even the original Westwood inserts, and hardware survey, but not the instruction manual. Hmm, not sure if I ever did have that in the first place, as it still has the preowned sticker from CEX on it, not bad for £4.

Anyway, it would possibly need to be remastered or remade as I don't think today's gamers would tolerate the character models to the extent a straight up re-release could be financially risky. Then again GOG sells games of similar and much worse image quality so maybe I'm being too pesimistic.

It's one hell of a game though, it captures the Blade Runner atmosphere almost as well as the film does and is as much a detective simulator as it is a graphic adventure game.

Also, it's fitting that one of the original inserts is for classic Hollywood movies on VHS, it's still one of the best movie based games ever.

Yeah the voxels are kind of bizarre for today's standards, so it would be jarring for a lot of people, but I guess I still have so much nostalgia for it that I automatically dismiss that.

I'm a little hopeful for GoG. I think consumer demand is at least very much there considering on their customer wishlist it is one of the most voted titles, even placing 17th highest on that list this week. But as pointed out earlier, it's a bit of a minefield to get the source code and licencing resolved, but with a new movie planned, I like to think that anything is possible, particularly for a franchise that has such a cult following.

I haven't played Magic in awhile, but how valid is Blue/Black?
All color combos are always valid in MTG, especially in DOTP games. The card selection is carefully picked to achieve balance. Magic 2014 had a sweet blue/black card draw/discard deck.

Speaking of combos, it seems that's the goal here. They included Guildgates (crap dual lands) and all the premades seem multicolored. You can, I presume, make a mono-colored deck after you've unlocked more cards.

Eww.
You can buy boosters tho...
But that was expected, wasn't it?

I really like my premade so it doesn't seem bad so far. I went green/white. Lots of stompers and cards that boost the stompers, good clean fun!

Rhaknar

The Steam equivalent of the drunk friend who keeps offering to pay your tab all night.
i hope people that bought it in groupees' build a doujin 2 bundle will get steam keys.

fuck that bundle, it keeps giving and I missed it

I'm surprised there isn't a thread about keys already. Folks are usually quick on the draw in that regard.

there isnt one for Micron and thats been in the store for a couple of days. or for Logigun for that matter

The_Super_Inframan

"the journey to a thousand games ends with bad rats. ~Lao Tzu" ~Gabe Newell
I'm surprised there isn't a thread about keys already. Folks are usually quick on the draw in that regard.

Yeah, and they are mostly really annoying too. A game releases and immediately people are at the developers throat and scream where are my key, often in a really impolite way.

I think it's OK to make a thread to get the info when the keys are out, but some people are so impatient and rude...

Yeah the voxels are kind of bizarre for today's standards, so it would be jarring for a lot of people, but I guess I still have so much nostalgia for it that I automatically dismiss that.

I'm a little hopeful for GoG. I think consumer demand is at least very much there considering on their customer wishlist it is one of the most voted titles, even placing 17th highest on that list this week. But as pointed out earlier, it's a bit of a minefield to get the source code and licencing resolved, but with a new movie planned, I like to think that anything is possible, particularly for a franchise that has such a cult following.

In fairness to you though, the character graphics are pretty much the only criticism I could possibly have, I don't think nostalgia is enhancing the game's quality for you at all in any other respect, it really is that good.

Last time I tried it was around 2008 or I think on XP and I still thought it was an amazing game, and it definitely is a lot more complex in terms of branching storylines and choices than many modern games.

Damn, I just got a nostalgia flash back to the character's apartment, that balcony atmosphere. I'm going to try installing it again.

Casimir

Unconfirmed Member
All color combos are always valid in MTG, especially in DOTP games. The card selection is carefully picked to achieve balance.

When I followed the actual tournaments years ago, it always seemed like only two or three decks with slight variations were played exclusively. That one artifact deck was so disproportionately effective.

Magic 2014 had a sweet blue/black card draw/discard deck.

Speaking of combos, it seems that's the goal here. They included Guildgates (crap dual lands) and all the premades seem multicolored. You can, I presume, make a mono-colored deck after you've unlocked more cards.

But that was expected, wasn't it?

I really like my premade so it doesn't seem bad so far. I went green/white. Lots of stompers and cards that boost the stompers, good clean fun!

2014? Hmm, sounds interesting. It's been awhile since I used that combo.

Dr Dogg

Right there isn't long before this isn't on sale any more so I'll be quick, if you like puzzle game, platformers or even puzzle-platformers you should really go check out The Floor Is Jelly. Basically you are a blob and you have to find your way to the exit, that's it. But of course it's a bit more complicated than that so as the title says the floor is indeed made of jelly, well in fact everything is (well almost everything). The controls are just movement left and right and there's a button to jump so easy peasy there but a jump out of time with the surface as it's wobbling loses all your momentum. It's kind of rhythmical so you jump and then as you bounce off the jelly floor if you press jump at the peak of the surface expanding you'll go higher which in turn flexes the surface even more. As you progress objects which you can't touch start to appear so you have to make sure you bounce around, under or over them to get to the exit. Later on the element of water and buoyancy is introduced which combined with the instant-destructo objects makes for some precisely timed puzzles.

Here's what one 'room' looks like and how you solve it.

First up this is where you enter the stage as you can see by the window bellow our little blob. Hello little blob!

So the best thing to do is try and find the exit. In this case it's not visible so I bounced out of the water and saw there's more going up than down.

So to get further up you need to gain some momentum but bouncing on that platfrom does get you far and falling into the water you don't sink very far.

This is as high as we can go. So we're going to have to go right under the water and uses as much momentum as possible.

There we go that's as low as we can go, look even lower than we started. Now we just need to bounce as hard as we can.

This is the very bottom of the stage so with the added effect of buoyancy we should shoot out of the water at tremendous pace

Hey presto, we made it!

So far even after 20 mins and despite a few frustrating levels it's been quite a relaxing little game. The music which is very light and airy (yeah that sounds pretentious, if you're played Tiny Wings it has the same sort of qualities as that) changes depending on the type of stage your're in. I don't know how much longer it's up on Humble's encore day but if you're tempted I'd be quick.

JaseC

gave away the keys to the kingdom.
I doubt that'll happen. It's a remake of the original and it has a new publisher.

There's definitely going to be a lot of outrage if Devolver elects to explain why there won't keys, in which case it probably would have been wiser to give the Steam version a distinct title.

I doubt that'll happen. It's a remake of the original and it has a new publisher.

No chance for that, it's a completely new game versus what was in the Groupees bundle.
Devolver is great, no doubts about it, but not CDPRed great.

They've done some more work on it and the publisher came into the picture after that bundle happened, so I'm not holding my breath.

It'd be great though.

oh the dream is dead.

Lain

I slept for a long while yesterday and missed A Vampyre Story now being on Steam.
That's damn cool, I've wanted to give it a try since I came back to playing games on PC but I also wanted to gave it on Steam and now there it is, but after all this time I feel the 19.99€ base price is a bit too much when the game is 7.99€ for the DRM-free version on GamersGate.

What the...? While I was still doing forced tutorial stuff in M2015, there was a button to switch up my color combo but now it's gone and I can't find it anywhere. Am I really stuck with green/white until I unlock every other card?

On the plus side, I found a screen that had a "equip deck" button so there should be more slots available. These menus are quite crap though.

When I followed the actual tournaments years ago, it always seemed like only two or three decks with slight variations were played exclusively. That one artifact deck was so disproportionately effective.
Yeah, but that's tournament play. For those, you play the best archetype for the format you're playing or you lose, basically. DOTP is far from that hardcore.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom