• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

STEAM | July 2014-2 In his house at R'lyeh, dead Cthulhu waits dreaming

Status
Not open for further replies.

Nzyme32

I hate to be that guy but I don't care for adventure games where you can die and/or your death is determined by something you did 10 screens back. It's one of the things i like about the telltale games, and sure you can die in the Walking Dead but it's not some shit that may require that you replay the entire game over it.

Actually you can't die in that way, your death or arrest can only happen via an immediate decision of your own. What I was referring to is the actual characters of the game, dialogue, evidence and locations and endings. Minor spoiler -
Before starting the game, the game will randomly define certain characters as human or replicant as well as altering evidence and dialogue options to match. In that playthrough, the evidence may be different or not include certain subject matter pushing you towards certain decisions/characters or locations as well as making only certain branches of story and endings accessible due to this and how other characters may then affect the story due to human vs replicant ideology

Nabs

I remember going through hell to get my copy of Blade Runner working. I don't even think I played much of it :\

JaseC

gave away the keys to the kingdom.
I'm out of the loop, was there some widespread change in how Brazilian prices are handled?

BRL$110/$120 seems to be the common price point for full-price games from bigger publishers these days -- e.g. Wolf14 (BRL$120), Call of Doggy: Ghosts (BRL$110), Watch Dogs (BRL$130!).

Nzyme32

Sounds excellent.

Can you shadowplay the first half hour or so and upload to YouTube?

Does it have a wide screen compatibility mod?

I'm not particularly good with that sort of thing but I'm sure someone has uploaded part of it.

Ah: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=JHkAZlq4HBs 1 hours worth, the guy in the video has not selected the option to allow for user choice of conversation points

Edit: that reminds me - when playing the game, make sure to head to the options menu first and set it to Your characters reactions to "user defined". For some reason westwood default the game to having predefined emotional states for your character, so you can't choose what to say. "User defined" lets you choose what to say, which is actually important

No widescreen modes, I think it runs at 800x600. The engine is kind of bizzare and unique, it uses Voxels to create the characters and some other scenarios as you can see from the above vid. This was done to allow the game to work on none 3d accelerated card using computers. You need to use a cpu fix and enable only one core but other than that it works.

morningbus

Serious Sam is a wicked gahbidge series for chowdaheads.
210 god-damned-dollars, people. What kind of game do you people think you're playing?!

I sincerely do want to thank you for playing, though.

M&Ms SCOREBOARD said:
$30 from Morningbus
+$30 from Toki767
+$24 from Mono
+$24 from Jawmuncher
+$18 from iosefe
+$18 from default two
+$12 from Mokoi
+$12 from CorrosiveFrost
+$12 from BinaryPork2737
+$6 from Cheddahz
+$6 from Armoured Priest
+$6 from Amzin
+$6 from Gunstarheroes
+$6 from tiny raptor
+$6 from Chocobro

Comments on the additional contributions made during this round:

Mono clearly has a one-track mind-- a mono-rail, if you will -- as he is singularly focused on collecting codes. This is Mono’s fourth code, earning him the title of President-for-life of the 4-code-club.

My jaw hit the floor when Jawmuncher sent through his 4th code. Jawmuncher secures his party’s nomination of Vice-President of the 4-code-club, which means he gets to cast the tie-breaking vote in case of a deadlocked Morningbus.

The student becomes the master as Toki767 is the first to match Morningbus’s winnings and secure his place as the first President of the 5-code-club. The epic battle between Toki and Morningbus was foretold by Quentin Tarantino in his movie Kill Bill. Tarantino took some liberties with the story and the part of my cable bill was played by David Carradine, obviously.

Default Two defaults to a default… three. Damn it. I should have used this premise earlier.

Beelzebubs

Hmm done my first trade up contract.
Bought 10 MP9 | Dark Age (Mil-Spec SMG) for around £0.30 each
Turned it into a Desert Eagle | Hand Cannon (Factory New) listed at £6.21

iosefe

210 god-damned-dollars, people. What kind of game do you people think you're playing?!

Mono clearly has a one-track mind-- a mono-rail, if you will -- as he is singularly focused on collecting codes. This is Mono’s fourth code, earning him the title of President-for-life of the 4-code-club.

My jaw hit the floor when Jawmuncher sent through his 4th code. Jawmuncher secures his party’s nomination of Vice-President of the 4-code-club, which means he gets to cast the tie-breaking vote in case of a deadlocked Morningbus.

The student becomes the master as Toki767 is the first to match Morningbus’s winnings and secure his place as the first President of the 5-code-club. The epic battle between Toki and Morningbus was foretold by Quentin Tarantino in his movie Kill Bill. Tarantino took some liberties with the story and the part of my cable bill was played by David Carradine, obviously.

its been a nice week.

Just crafted my first foil badge, the Legendary one for Skyrim.

I thought i was going to get fireworks or something, but nope, just a 90% off voucher for Jagged Alliance 2 and an emoticon and background i already have.

Boooooo.

What's this about? Is it some competition or something?

morningbus

What's this about? Is it some competition or something?

Of sorts, it's mainly a competition between SteamGAF and Morningbus's cable provider. The initial goal was to have 1 negative balance bill and now we're at 2 approaching 3 negative balance bills.

Grief.exe

I guess I will just start applying the M&Ms money to my cable bill as well.

A couple more hoops to jump through, but it's still money in the bank.

I want to cancel my cable and just keep the internet, dropping my bill. Comcast essentially doesn't allow me to do that.

I mean, I technically can, but I lose a significant amount of speed and pay essentially the same because I'm not bundling.

Hugstable

Banned

Default Two defaults to a default… three. Damn it. I should have used this premise earlier.

Holy shit that's amazing! That's honestly awesome, gonna try to win one now to help out as well, take down that comcast!

Nzyme32

23 listing on eBay at this moment in time (22 of which in the UK) ranging from 99p to £40 , though it averages out at about £15 if my quick maths are anything to go by. I don't think the problem was availability (well apart from not being available digitally) but it was a bit of a headache to get running on newer OS'. Though you got it running so that a big plus at least.

Really is one of the most atmospheric adventure games of it's time (especially when FMV and 3D rendered games were starting to pick up). Some of the environments looks fantastic and really have so much in common with Syd Mead's original concept art. That and considering Westwood used voxels to render the game gives it a very different look to the 3D accelerated games of the time.

You know the licence and source code is sadly going to be in limbo somewhere. Sudo EA developed by a dead studio in Westwood, distributed by Virgin Interactive who were rolled into Titus (with the Mastersonic branch split off) which then went kaput 2 years after. And then there's Warner Bros. who more than likely own the right to Blade Runner, the franchise as well.

Sod it I might keep an eye on some eBay listings then.

I don't think I comprehended just how complicated a limbo the licence and source code would be in till just now. Boy can I dream though! And yeah, I really love how authentic the game is to Syd's concept art. I also like the sort of analogous way of experiencing the Blade Runner world and exploring it as a character that runs parallel to the film but still outside of it

Ban Puncher

Here's my review of Sakura Spirit.

header_292x136.jpg

This game is poop. Poop from my butt. I didn't pay anything for it and still feel ripped off.

3/10 - Still better than Watch Dogs though.

morningbus

He's asking people to donate the 6$ candy codes for his cable bill i believe.

I do want to quickly add that I never intend to beg for codes from people. Especially now, I have plenty of credit and wouldn't dare have the courage to think I deserve more. If you have another home for your code, please do not hesitate to send it there before me.

However, I am incredibly appreciative of everyone giving me their codes and it is truly humbling to get this kind of support for something I started as a joke.

wetflame

Pizza Dog
I'll send you a kebab around 4am on Saturday night.

Yesssss. Perfect kebab-eating time.

Is that last one pepperoni, pinapple and jalapeños? That's the most bizarre combination of toppings. No thanks!

My personal favourite (at least of the chain delivery ones) is a Dominos bbq sauce base, with tandoori chicken, roquito peppers, sausage and red onions, although I just checked and now they do chipotle sauce, chorizo sausage and fajita seasoning as toppings too so I might have to experiment..

I do want to quickly add that I never intend to beg for codes from people. Especially now, I have plenty of credit and wouldn't dare have the courage to think I deserve more. If you have another home for your code, please do not hesitate to send it there before me.

However, I am incredibly appreciative of everyone giving me their codes and it is truly humbling to get this kind of support for something I started as a joke.

Is it appropriate for people to modbot them?

JaseC

gave away the keys to the kingdom.
You know the licence and source code is sadly going to be in limbo somewhere. Sudo EA developed by a dead studio in Westwood, distributed by Virgin Interactive who were rolled into Titus (with the Mastersonic branch split off) which then went kaput 2 years after. And then there's Warner Bros. who more than likely own the right to Blade Runner, the franchise as well.

Sod it I might keep an eye on some eBay listings then.

The source code is probably the bigger issue as EA owns the game itself. Generally, to re-release a licensed game, a publisher needs to licence the IP again for a nominal fee, but this could be avoided by EA and WB agreeing on a sales revenue split, although I can't say I'm aware of any examples of this approach being opted for in lieu of the aforementioned usual method. Frankly, I've long believed that the concept of IP licensing as it generally unfolds is rather archaic -- a contract expiration, especially in this day and age where a game can be distributed at virtually no cost, should not affect content that was released for public consumption during the contract period.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom