• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

STEAM | July 2014-2 In his house at R'lyeh, dead Cthulhu waits dreaming

Status
Not open for further replies.

JaseC

gave away the keys to the kingdom.
Haven't played SpeedRunners for way too long, new competition and new prize!

Wheelman Steam Gift
b37cA38.png

tumblr_mlkc1eviq31sooq6fq5.gif

Is that Lola? 'the hell happened to my
childhood
waifu?

She's now rendered in three dimensions!

ModBot

Not a mod, just a bot.
Thanks to an anonymous benefactor, I am giving away a Steam key. To enter this giveaway, send a PM to ModBot with any subject line. In the body, copy and paste the entire line from the message below containing the game you want to enter for.

ModBot Basics:
- Do not trade keys you win off-site to enrich yourself.
- If the key is already taken you will not receive a reply. Replies may take a minute or two.

Rules for this Giveaway:
- This is a garbage dump. No other rules apply, you may claim as many as you want (there are no limits or throttles), and keys you win won't be counted as wins for your record. Do not SELL these keys for a profit.

Strategic War in Europe -- MB-E44BEE10681EF462 - Taken by provo57

By the way, there were some errors processing your keys...
Note: The key you added for Strategic War in Europe was already listed in ModBot from a previous giveaway of yours, but was not taken. Updating key info to match new giveaway.

ViviOggi

BioShock 2 -- MB-A63E620CC3F5F99D - Taken by _hekk05
t1cxE6r.gif
XCOM Enemy Unknown -- MB-9255C9711996FA08 - Taken by Anteater
X-COM Interceptor -- MB-B75BD5449BF5F413 - Taken by Natty1
t1cxE6r.gif
BioShock Infinite -- MB-3C9E25D184744DC7
X-COM Apocalypse -- MB-40E216D2A756077C - Taken by provo57
t1cxE6r.gif
Spec Ops The Line -- MB-3B74229914BEEA81 - Taken by Scipius
BioShock -- MB-3DCD883E3C4E21DF
X-COM Enforcer -- MB-57761814E824B150
X-COM UFO Defence -- MB-49ED7789431B41EA - Taken by Perun
X-COM Terror from the Deep -- MB-B75BD5449BF5F413 - Taken by Natty1

I approve of these
t1cxE6r.gif
labels.

Saty

Welp, my LYNE save is gone because the game stores the save files in the registry, so a Windows re-install wipes it. Needless to say the game doesn't have cloud saves.

Developers should really make it clear if their games use weird save locations. I'm tired to have a guessing game of 'where's the save this time'.

Terra_Ex

Did this one get mentioned?

Groupees Paradox Effect bundle
TIER 1: 1$
  • Dead Effect
  • Strategic War in Europe
  • AIM 2 Clan Wars
TIER 2: 2$
  • The Samaritan Paradox
  • Legends of Persia
  • Sinnestar (chiptunes)
Getting that bundle for The Samaritan Paradox, forgoing all those indie titles in the last Steam sale and betting on their inclusion in a bundle continues to pay off.

If anyone was interested, here are my impressions of:

If you go into this game expecting a grand and complicated experience, you'll probably be disappointed. The Nightmare Cooperative is a compact game, a roguelike distilled to its base elements. You won't find complex skill trees, or a multitude of loot to collect and equip, or expansive environments for you to explore and perish in. That's not a bad thing; if you're looking for something simple but challenging, simplified yet also strategic and tactical, The Nightmare Cooperative excels.

The set-up is simple, a framework for the action rather than an extended narrative. Your village is in disarray; go out, gather gold, fight monsters, survive. The core of The Nightmare Cooperative is its gameplay and that aspect proves to be much deeper and more engaging than the story.

If you've familiar with Michael Brough's 868-HACK, you'll feel right at home among Nightmare's enemy-filled rooms. Similar to that game, your goal here is to amass a high score, the amount of gold you collect equaling your final score. Opening chests rewards you with gold and spawns enemy so choosing whether to rush for the exit or increase your score is a crucial choice. Enemies move when you move so each step forward is a strategic decision that, when combined with the game's mechanics and varied foes, gives The Nightmare Cooperative a methodical, puzzle-esque vibe.

You don't control a single hero in Nightmare, but rather an entire group at once, each hero moving and using their special abilities simultaneously. Each hero is unique and positioning and formation is important since their abilities are only effective under certain conditions. The Archer can only shoot enemies directly ahead, the Mage can hit enemies on diagonals, the Warrior can perform two strikes in one move, the Ninja can pass through enemies, and so on for the other seven heroes. Supplementing these abilities are items that provide special perks, such as extra life at the expense of mana or not spawning enemies when opening a chest.

The enemies you face are equally varied and cement the game's strategic puzzle atmosphere. Some enemies travel along predictable paths. Others mirror your movements or move extra spaces in a turn. Turrets rotate and fire in intervals. All this knowledge is always at your disposal and define how you position your heroes, which heroes are best for a given room. Managing four heroes at once, while timing and syncing your movements to evade enemies or get into formation to attack a desired enemy with a specific ability, is a satisfying challenge. It's best to approach each move in The Nightmare Cooperative slowly and carefully, taking the time to plan out your next steps, thinking about where you are and will be in relation to enemies and hazards. A poor decision can easily find your heroes scattered across a level, cornered, a beneficial move for one character being dangerous for the others.

The colorful distinct art style rounds out this compelling package. The Nightmare Cooperative is all about the gameplay, the turn-for-turn decisions that make the best roguelikes so satisfying. Those looking for something with more depth may find the game lacking, but the strategic gameplay, varied heroes, and one-more-go appeal makes The Nightmare Cooperative a worthy addition for fans of the genre.

The developers plan to add a challenge mode that will feature rooms with predetermined heroes, enemies, and layouts designed to test your strategic prowess. A mobile version is also in the works, with an estimated release time frame sometime later this year.

Lomax

Got an email about "earliest access" for Clockwork Empires (basically play a month earlier than it goes on Steam early access in August). It's a game I'm super excited for, but $30 is waaaaaay higher than I expected especially given that Dungeons of Dredmor was only $5. No indication if this is just an EA price or will be final. Definitely going to be waiting for a sale and a lot more buzz though.

http://clockworkempires.com/

Tizoc

Hearthstone is Magic for Dummies. If you like the fast clicky-clicky stomping action of Hearthstone, stick with that. If you want to go deeper, play Magic.

1080 works for me, sucka!

(They're saying on the Steam forums that if you manually edit config.cfg, it should work.)

Thanks managed to set it to my preferred resolution =D

Rhaknar

The Steam equivalent of the drunk friend who keeps offering to pay your tab all night.
spare

ModBot said:
Instructions for Rhaknar:
Press the quote button to the left of this PM, select the quoted text, copy, and paste in the thread. You can remove these lines from the version you paste.

Instructions for participants:
I am giving away a Steam key. To enter this giveaway, send a PM to ModBot with any subject line. In the body, copy and paste the entire line from the message below containing the game you want to enter for.

ModBot Basics:
- I really appreciate thank you messages, but please send them to me (Rhaknar, not ModBot!) via PM instead of in thread.
- Do not trade keys you win off-site to enrich yourself. Don't try to claim games you have no interest in collecting or playing. Don't claim games to give them to friends off-site.
- If the key is already taken you will not receive a reply. Replies may take a minute or two.

Rules for this Giveaway:
- If you are a lurker you are not eligible for this giveaway. You need five or more posts in either the current Steam thread or the previous one to be eligible

Strategic War In Europe -- MB-191D74AB91A459ED - Taken by Benedict

aku:jiki

You sure 2015's limited customization goes deeper than Hearthstone?
Very likely not, I'm talking about the game itself, not specifically Duels of the Planeswalkers. DOTP is, like I've been saying in this thread, never going to have the full depth and breadth of Magic deck-building. It is a good gateway drug, though, which is what it's meant to be.

I, too, feel like Rhaknar has got to be trolling. Game looks like garbage. There's even a slight freeze at like 0:27 in the gameplay trailer on Steam. lolol

Wok

Got an email about "earliest access" for Clockwork Empires (basically play a month earlier than it goes on Steam early access in August). It's a game I'm super excited for, but $30 is waaaaaay higher than I expected especially given that Dungeons of Dredmor was only $5. No indication if this is just an EA price or will be final. Definitely going to be waiting for a sale and a lot more buzz though.

http://clockworkempires.com/

This looks really nice! Plus Cthulhu!

A Fish Aficionado

I am going to make it through this year if it kills me
Haven't played SpeedRunners for way too long, new competition and new prize!

Wheelman Steam Gift
b37cA38.png

Rules:
1. You do not already own this game.
2. You will activate it to your own library, no trading or reselling the gift.
3. You have to be the winner of a full race.
4. We will play a race once in every standard level.

Quote this post to reserve a spot in the competition!

#1: DunderHassan
#2: freshVeggie
#3: VikasNarula
#4: The_Super_Inframan

Oh, I was just kidding by the way, I don't even have Wheelman, I'll just decide for something later.
Like anyone is win anyway, am I right? RIGHT? :p
Jeeeeeeebus. Banned for trolling.

Dr Dogg

Isn't the giveaway Dunder was having a laugh is that The Wheelman disappeared way before conventional gifting became a thing?

If anyone was interested, here are my impressions of:

Cheers for that. Though I think I'm all Rougelike-liked out at the moment (bloody industry and overstaturation of a handful of conventions until there is too much choice but not enough variation). Though going by what you say it sounds more Rouge-lite.

ViviOggi

Very likely not, I'm talking about the game itself, not specifically Duels of the Planeswalkers. DOTP is, like I've been saying in this thread, never going to have the full depth and breadth of Magic deck-building. It is a good gateway drug, though, which is what it's meant to be.

I see, makes sense. I have to wonder how effective that gateway drug can be post-HS, though.

Rhaknar

The Steam equivalent of the drunk friend who keeps offering to pay your tab all night.
so are all those DLCs for Magic 2015 unlockable in game or not? this release is way more confusing than the previous ones

Chariot

Magic manages to be utterly boring against the campaign computer players, but I have to got through that to get boosters, since I get one booster with three random cards every win @.@

Somehow the Yugioh games gave me far more fun :(
so are all those DLCs for Magic 2015 unlockable in game or not? this release is way more confusing than the previous ones
I dunno. I think its the campagins the DLC unlocks, but I am not sure.

Anybody here with the normal version? So we can make some comparison!

You get all the base cards that can be unlocked through gameplay. You do not get the premium cards that are only available from boosters. You still have to beat 5 campaign matches to get your unlocks.

Magic manages to be utterly boring against the campaign computer players, but I have to got through that to get boosters, since I get one booster with three random cards every win @.@

Somehow the Yugioh games gave me far more fun :(
The AI in DOTP is, simply put, a topdecking cunt. Stainless' obsession with the stupid "encounters" blows too.

(Topdecking essentially means always drawing the card he needs at the right time and "encounters" are cheaty matches where the AI gets to do shit against the rules, like have a card out from the start, while you're at the mercy of RNG. It's bullshit.)

Lomax

This looks really nice! Plus Cthulhu!

I'm still excited for the game (Clockwork Empires) but they are planning another year of early access, so I'll just wait at this price. At $10-$15 I'd have been a little more tempted to jump in as everything I've seen seems great and they did such a good job with Dungeons of Dredmor.

That's good to know, I'll have to check more of his songs then.

Wow, 30+ years of Weird Al to discover? I envy you. Don't trust YouTube though, lots of things these days get labeled as being Weird Al that aren't. Use Wikipedia for an album list to get song titles and information. Fat, Amish Paradise, Smells like Nirvana, White and Nerdy... there's so many great songs.

dot

Magix 2014/2015 question.

Can you buy boosters with ingame currency like Hearthstone? Or can you only buy it with real money? Is it pay2win? Because looking at these pictures says yes to me...

Edit: Wow, seriously? lol

And Jadax said Hearthstone was pay 2 win....at least you can still get the same cards in game whether you pay or not. >_>

jshackles

Gentlemen, we can rebuild it. We have the capability to make the world's first enhanced store. Steam will be that store. Better than it was before.

It looks like there are 6 to 8 (?) cards from each set that can't be unlocked normally in-game and must be "found" in a premium booster pack (real $) or purchased as part of the complete set (also real $).

That shit really pisses me off.

Thanks to an anonymous benefactor, I am giving away 10 Steam keys. To enter this giveaway, send a PM to ModBot with any subject line. In the body, copy and paste the entire line from the message below that corresponds to the game you want. (if you include more than one game, you will be blocked from entering).

ModBot Basics:
- Do not trade keys you win off-site to enrich yourself. Don't try to claim games you have no interest in collecting or playing. Don't claim games to give them to friends off-site.

Rules for this Giveaway:
- This giveaway is a LIGHTNING raffle. The winners will be selected by random draw 15 minutes after the draw was created. Any games not claimed after that point will be given away first come first serve.

BioShock 2 -- MB-A63E620CC3F5F99D - Taken by _hekk05. 4 entrants total.
t1cxE6r.gif
XCOM Enemy Unknown -- MB-9255C9711996FA08 - Taken by Anteater. 10 entrants total.
X-COM Interceptor -- MB-B75BD5449BF5F413 - Taken by Natty1
t1cxE6r.gif
BioShock Infinite -- MB-3C9E25D184744DC7 - Taken by johnssy123. 23 entrants total.
X-COM Apocalypse -- MB-40E216D2A756077C - Taken by provo57. 1 entrants total.
t1cxE6r.gif
Spec Ops The Line -- MB-3B74229914BEEA81 - Taken by Scipius. 4 entrants total.
BioShock -- MB-3DCD883E3C4E21DF
X-COM Enforcer -- MB-57761814E824B150
X-COM UFO Defence -- MB-49ED7789431B41EA - Taken by Perun
X-COM Terror from the Deep -- MB-B75BD5449BF5F413 - Taken by Natty1

By the way, there were some errors processing your keys...
Note: The key you added for X-COM Terror from the Deep was already listed in ModBot from a previous giveaway of yours, but was not taken. Updating key info to match new giveaway.

t1405533123z1.png

Damn... lost Bioshock Infinite again. Congrats johnssy123 lol

Can you buy boosters with ingame currency like Hearthstone? Or can you only buy it with real money? Is it pay2win? Because looking at these pictures says yes to me...
No ingame currency, not pay 2 win.

(Exactly speaking, I can't speak to the card selection here, but Magic in general is not P2W.)

It looks like there are 6 to 8 (?) cards from each set that can't be unlocked normally in-game and must be "found" in a premium booster pack (real $) or purchased as part of the complete set (also real $).

That shit really pisses me off.
I did tell you so last week. Y'all should listen to me sometimes at least!

ModBot

Not a mod, just a bot.
Thanks to an anonymous benefactor, I am giving away 2 Steam keys. To enter this giveaway, send a PM to ModBot with any subject line. In the body, copy and paste the entire line from the message below that corresponds to the game you want. (if you include more than one game, you will be blocked from entering).

ModBot Basics:

X-COM Interceptor -- MB-F27E4BFCD67A98D9 - Taken by nightstorm
X-COM Terror from the Deep -- MB-6A2156880E3318D9 - Taken by Archaix

Jawmuncher

Somehow the Yugioh games gave me far more fun :(I dunno. I think its the campagins the DLC unlocks, but I am not sure.

Anybody here with the normal version? So we can make some comparison!

Yeah the CPU in the Planeswalker games are no fun. I played 2014 on easy and still got my ass handed to me on the first fight since I had to use a slow forest deck against a fire deck.
By far the worst matchup ever for a first battle. A blue and green deck with spell counters would have made more sense.

Chariot

You get all the base cards that can be unlocked through gameplay. You do not get the premium cards that are only available from boosters. You still have to beat 5 campaign matches to get your unlocks.
I can't confirm this. I have the complete edition and have no cards beside my starterdeck and the cards I got through booster packs.

Anyone complaining about a digital TCG being pay to win never played a physical TCG.
Yeah, any TCG is sort-of pay 2 win by definition. They are trading cards, after all.

In Magic, though, you can't just stuff your deck full of 10/10 mythics and hope to win, and you'll get stomped by a premade event deck.

I can't confirm this. I have the complete edition and have no cards beside my starterdeck and the cards I got through booster packs.
See the last sentence of the post you quoted. If you already did, well, I have no idea.

dot

Anyone complaining about a digital TCG being pay to win never played a physical TCG.

Hey, if you can't get a card ingame and ONLY in boosters bought with real money, then it's pay to win for me.

I'll have to try the game myself and see if my opinion changes. :)

Never heard of him, sorry :( Looks like I still have a lot to learn.

No need for frowning faces. Comedian/musician combos have rarely ever been decent at either aspect. He's no exception. And, despite the random nostalgic "Oh, yeah!" moment people tend to have, he's actually plain terrible. I take that back. He's worse; he's just plain.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom