• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

STEAM | July 2014-2 In his house at R'lyeh, dead Cthulhu waits dreaming

Status
Not open for further replies.

Chariot

Yeah the CPU in the Planeswalker games are no fun. I played 2014 on easy and still got my ass handed to me on the first fight since I had to use a slow forest deck against a fire deck.
By far the worst matchup ever for a first battle. A blue and green deck with spell counters would have made more sense.
Yeah :/

See the last sentence of the post you quoted. If you already did, well, I have no idea.
I see. So I get automatically all the cards when I beat the campaigns while the others have to repeat duels? Otherwise it would be the same, yes?

Divius

I approve of these
t1cxE6r.gif
labels.
GsfMFTT.gif

RionaaM

Unconfirmed Member
I'm gonna boot F.E.A.R. for the first time. What am I in for? 2spooy4me?
I consider it one of the best games ever made, and I love the shooting mechanics, AI, slow-mo implementation and plot. Some people found the levels to be repetitive (basically there are only 3 different environments), but it didn't bother me at all.

The game has many psychologic horror elements, and uses them very well. It plays with your nerves in a smart way. I'd love to experience it for the first time again.

Also, the shotgun is great, as some fellow GAFfers already told you, but my personal favorite is the HV Penetrator. Nailing a guy to the wall feels incredibly good (no double entendres please!)

jshackles

Gentlemen, we can rebuild it. We have the capability to make the world's first enhanced store. Steam will be that store. Better than it was before.
Hey, if you can't get a card ingame and ONLY in boosters bought with real money, then it's pay to win for me.

I'll have to try the game myself and see if my opinion changes. :)

That's exactly what I was thinking. Additionally, it seems that the particular cards that you can only get with real money are the most powerful ones. Sure, you can't just stick all of these cards in your deck and expect to win. But if you're up against an opponent with a similar deck but they have the good card or cards of your deck color and you don't, they're much more likely to win.

What a letdown. I honestly feel pretty cheated.

aku:jiki

I see. So I get automatically all the cards when I beat the campaigns while the others have to repeat duels? Otherwise it would be the same, yes?
You get everything when you beat the Innistrad part of the campaign.

The rest of us have to play through all the other planes, and we get boosters that grow in size with each plane (from 3 cards in Innistrad to 14 in the last one).

(So I've heard, I haven't done it myself yet.)

Casimir

Unconfirmed Member
Someone just commented on my Steam review of Tomb Raider 2013, responding to an aside I made that I hate when shooter games have 10-foot tall human enemies that take dozens of bullets... and the commenter said:

give me a fucking break

This reads like a page from creationist literature trying to mask literal interpretations of biblical text as a legitimate alternative to science.

Grief.exe

Magic manages to be utterly boring against the campaign computer players, but I have to got through that to get boosters, since I get one booster with three random cards every win @.@

Somehow the Yugioh games gave me far more fun :(I dunno. I think its the campagins the DLC unlocks, but I am not sure.

I believe there is a new yugioh game for Android/iOS. I don't have the specifics as I just saw the thread title, but never investigated further.

Could be something to look into if you are interested.

PriitV

jshackles, as you seem to be about at the moment, I got a little feature request for enhanced steam, how about making that whole div clickable instead of only the steamcharts.com text? I often findmyself cliking some other areas.
x1FeaJQ.png

Lomax

Hey, if you can't get a card ingame and ONLY in boosters bought with real money, then it's pay to win for me.

I'll have to try the game myself and see if my opinion changes. :)

I don't call that pay to win, I call that an incomplete game. There's a big difference between a single player game with arbitrary paywall content and a game designed around obtaining cards via booster purchases. Pay to win is a horrible generalization anyway and largely meaningless, especially in a single player game. If it's true that the best cards in Magic 2015 are only in boosters, that's pretty screwed up and definitely should upset people. If they're just chase cards for collectors (essentially like cosmetic dlc), that's not as big of a deal.

Most TCGs have long battled the reality that the best cards become the most valuable and therefore people who aren't lucky have to spend more money to obtain them. Usually there are viable cheese decks or some variant that are cheap, but if you're venturing into that genre, that's the design. The digital games like Hearthstone that offer substantial rewards for playing such that you don't necessarily have to put real money into them are no different, you're still not going to win if you don't "buy" booster packs, regardless of how you obtained that payment in the beginning.

Lain

After reading the Steam forum for A Vampyre Story I'm learning there are major problems with the game on Win 7? Glad it went up for 20€ then!

jshackles

Gentlemen, we can rebuild it. We have the capability to make the world's first enhanced store. Steam will be that store. Better than it was before.
jshackles, as you seem to be about at the moment, I got a little feature request for enhanced steam, how about making that whole div clickable instead of only the steamcharts.com text? I often findmyself cliking some other areas.
x1FeaJQ.png

That might work, although a lot of times I see people copy/pasting the text information from this DIV and making the whole thing clickable would hinder that.

How did your interview go yesterday jshackles?

(I also have an interview in 45 minutes or so, fingers crossed)

It went really well! I have another interview again tomorrow morning, and then (hopefully) an on-site interview next week.

This question got buried a few pages ago, just reposting on a new page to see if I can get any clarification on this:

I have Tomb Raider and noticed there's now a GOTY edition (I have not yet gotten to playing Tomb Raider but have been planning on getting to it soon).

Does buying the GOTY edition create a separate game on my games list along with a separate set of duplicate achievements/trading cards? Is the GOTY content worth it?

If it has any content that is worthwhile, and owning it just duplicates achievements and everything, I may just get the content separate and attach it to my non-GOTY edition. Any info on the matter would be most appreciated!

Chariot

That's exactly what I was thinking. Additionally, it seems that the particular cards that you can only get with real money are the most powerful ones. Sure, you can't just stick all of these cards in your deck and expect to win. But if you're up against an opponent with a similar deck but they have the good card or cards of your deck color and you don't, they're much more likely to win.

The cards don't even have to be special or good. It's the fact alone, that you don't have them when you bough the full game, that makes it ugly. Plus WotC makes it pretty clear ingame that they want you buy real cards, the promotion stuff is so annoying.

"FIND A STORE NEAR YOU"
"TAKE A LOOK AT THE STORE FINDER"
"PLAY AND BUY MAGIC AT A STORE NEAR YOU"

The (awful) menu has a own entry just for extra promotion.

You get everything when you beat the Innistrad part of the campaign.

The rest of us have to play through all the other planes, and we get boosters that grow in size with each plane (from 3 cards in Innistrad to 14 in the last one).

(So I've heard, I haven't done it myself yet.)
I see. I made a big mistake in buying the complete version. Thank you for your shitty advertising, WotC.

I believe there is a new yugioh game for Android/iOS. I don't have the specifics as I just saw the thread title, but never investigated further.

Could be something to look into if you are interested.
Thanks, I will maybe take a look at it.

That's not how it is. Yes, the numbers on the premium cards are very high and they have dramatic art and all this stuff, but they're not as good as you think. You have to remember to factor in the entirety of the card, not just stop at their high power or crazy abilities. The mana cost is extremely important.

Looking at some premium examples; Maelstrom Angel requires one of each mana to cast. LOL to that, never using that shit. Kozilek costs 10 mana to cast, also lol. Griselbrand is the same, costs too much to be valid. Stoneforge Mystic is a troll inclusion; because she's good but they didn't give her any good equipment to summon. If they had included Stoneforge + Umezawa's Jitte or something, you would be right, but they didn't.

(I haven't looked at every single card. If there's something like Elvish Piper, that could suck...)

I don't call that pay to win, I call that an incomplete game. There's a big difference between a single player game with arbitrary paywall content and a game designed around obtaining cards via booster purchases. Pay to win is a horrible generalization anyway and largely meaningless, especially in a single player game. If it's true that the best cards in Magic 2015 are only in boosters, that's pretty screwed up and definitely should upset people. If they're just chase cards for collectors (essentially like cosmetic dlc), that's not as big of a deal.
If you play MTG, you can check out the card list here and see that the premium boosters don't contain anything insane. If you see any crazy combos I missed, please post them.

All these impressions of Magic 2015 so far are making me glad I decided to wait for impressions before jumping on it.
Then again, I'm the only one not jumping to ignorant conclusions right now... It seems fine so far.

Tellaerin

To this day I still say Bioshock 2 is my favorite. Even not counting the Minerva's Den DLC.

I still need to play the Bioshock games. Maybe I'll tackle those after I finish Singularity. (I just started Singularity last night, and I'm enjoying it so far, though it's definitely not what I was expecting going in. I thought it'd be more of a straight tech-themed run-and-gun FPS like TimeShift, but it's actually surprisingly story-rich so far, with an almost horror game atmosphere to it. Sometimes it's nice to go into a game without knowing the particulars and being pleasantly surprised like that.)

Glad they released Saint's Row IV: Game of the Century Edition, now I can finally buy the game
when it's on sale. Already waited more than I year, I can wait a little more.

Chariot

That's not how it is. Yes, the numbers on the premium cards are very high and they have dramatic art and all this stuff, but they're not as good as you think. You have to remember to factor in the entirety of the card, not just stop at their high power or crazy abilities. The mana cost is extremely important.

Looking at some premium examples; Maelstrom Angel requires one of each mana to cast. LOL to that, never using that shit. Kozilek costs 10 mana to cast, also lol. Griselbrand is the same, costs too much to be valid. Stoneforge Mystic is a troll inclusion; because she's good but they didn't give her any good equipment to summon. If they had included Stoneforge + Umezawa's Jitte or something, you would be right, but they didn't.

(I haven't looked at every single card. If there's something like Elvish Piper, that could suck...)
It's not important what these cards exactly are. Its just important that you have limited possobilities when you don't have access to them. To get access you have to pay extra.

marrec

Banned
Got an email about "earliest access" for Clockwork Empires (basically play a month earlier than it goes on Steam early access in August). It's a game I'm super excited for, but $30 is waaaaaay higher than I expected especially given that Dungeons of Dredmor was only $5. No indication if this is just an EA price or will be final. Definitely going to be waiting for a sale and a lot more buzz though.

http://clockworkempires.com/

Knowing what I know now I would have gladly paid $30 bucks for Dungeons of Dredmor...

And yet I will hesitate as well. Need to see more of it.

Jawmuncher

I still need to play the Bioshock games. Maybe I'll tackle those after I finish Singularity. (I just started Singularity last night, and I'm enjoying it so far, though it's definitely not what I was expecting going in. I thought it'd be more of a straight tech-themed run-and-gun FPS like TimeShift, but it's actually surprisingly story-rich so far, with an almost horror game atmosphere to it. Sometimes it's nice to go into a game without knowing the particulars and being pleasantly surprised like that.)

Yeah I was surprised by Singularity as well and enjoyed it a lot. Heads up all the endings in the game are worth seeing. You won't need to play the game again to see them either.

It's not important what these cards exactly are. Its just important that you have limited possobilities when you don't have access to them. To get access you have to pay extra.
What? What the cards actually are is the by far most important thing!

You will not lose matches just because you don't happen to have Kozilek.

dot

Glad somebody else is agreeing with me...

Most TCGs have long battled the reality that the best cards become the most valuable and therefore people who aren't lucky have to spend more money to obtain them. Usually there are viable cheese decks or some variant that are cheap, but if you're venturing into that genre, that's the design. The digital games like Hearthstone that offer substantial rewards for playing such that you don't necessarily have to put real money into them are no different, you're still not going to win if you don't "buy" booster packs, regardless of how you obtained that payment in the beginning.

Hmm...i suppose i can see your point.

Then again, I'm the only one not jumping to ignorant conclusions right now... It seems fine so far.

Ignorant? I'm just wondering why you guys are trying to justify these booster packs that give you an advantage for some weird reason.

Exactly, that is what's turning me off.

This is literally my face reading all these Magic comments.

WulzSlk.gif

The whole thing just doesn't gel with me at all, sorry guys. Agree to disagree. Let's just drop it already lol. :p

Chariot

What? What the cards actually are is the by far most important thing!

You will not lose matches just because you don't happen to have Kozilek.
You really don't see what I am upset?
You buy a game, maybe even the "COMPLETE" edition and have a certain pool of cards that you have to earn by playing. That's fine. But then you have a amount of cards that are ingame and can used by everyone - that pays more money than the inital release. That denies people who expected a full game part of the experince unless theyp ay more money.

pahamrick

Is anyone else having issues sending gifts on steam? Just tried sending a friend my spare copy of Gun Monkeys and all I get is this error:

There seems to have been an error initializing or updating your transaction. Please wait a minute and try again or contact support for assistance.

Already sent in a ticket to steam support, but who knows when they'll get back to me.

Divius

Is anyone else having issues sending gifts on steam? Just tried sending a friend my spare copy of Gun Monkeys and all I get is this error:

Already sent in a ticket to steam support, but who knows when they'll get back to me.
I had the same thing (also with Gun Monkeys). I just set up a trade with the guy I wanted to send it to and gave him the gift that way :)

jshackles

So going off the list you linked, there are 36 cards which are not available to people who don't buy premium boosters or the complete sets.

I'm actually more pissed after seeing that list, as it includes cards like Darksteel Axe and Hall of Triumph which are colorless and can be utilized in a multitude of deck and color combinations.

How about only the game banner then?

That I can definitely do.

Lomax

You buy a game, maybe even the "COMPLETE" edition and have a certain pool of cards that you have to earn by playing. That's fine. But then you have a amount of cards that are ingame and can used by everyone - that pays more money than the inital release. That denies people who expected a full game part of the experince unless theyp ay more money.

I understand conceptually why people are upset, especially anyone who bought the so-called "complete" edition. But practically speaking, if the game is completely playable without those cards (which it almost certainly is), then there's no real strike against the game itself. It's not like any game based on Magic is even remotely "complete" and you can just treat it like those cards weren't included, just like thousands of others weren't. In essence, both sides are right. The game is fine and still the game you wanted. But this implementation of dlc boosters is pretty bogus.

Beelzebubs

My god Gaf, I think I have a CS:GO gambling addiction. Made £11.06 today from it and then decided to blow it all on 5 crates. Made about £0.80 back :(

So as a general rule. Never opening crates is the right call?

No matter how many hours I spend playing The Witcher the music always amazes me. It's perfect.

I wonder if the remaining novels will get an english translation. I have the option of going with spanish but they're much more expensive and the fact that they divided Lady of the Lake in 2 volumes makes it even worse.

We should have a Witcher community thread.

Ignorant? I'm just wondering why you guys are trying to justify these booster packs that give you an advantage for some weird reason.
Yes, ignorant. It means "not knowledgable" and is not meant as an insult, just a factual observation. These complaints are not knowledgable and inaccurate. I've already explained why, in the post you quoted.

Yeah, okay, if that's your angle it makes sense. Calling it complete when it's not is pretty shitty, even for an evil company like WotC.

So going off the list you linked, there are 36 cards which are not available to people who don't buy premium boosters or the complete sets.

I'm actually more pissed after seeing that list, as it includes cards like Darksteel Axe and Hall of Triumph which are colorless and can be utilized in a multitude of deck and color combinations.
Yeah, but you're not trying to say that Darksteel Axe is some kind of game-winner because that would be ridiculous. Cobbled Wings is not premium, is colorless, costs the same to use as the Axe and flying is more powerful than a +2/+0.

Hall of Triumph is admittedly pretty sweet, though.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom