• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

STEAM | July 2014-2 In his house at R'lyeh, dead Cthulhu waits dreaming

Status
Not open for further replies.

jshackles

Gentlemen, we can rebuild it. We have the capability to make the world's first enhanced store. Steam will be that store. Better than it was before.
Yeah, but you're not trying to say that Darksteel Axe is some kind of game-winner because that would be ridiculous. Cobbled Wings is not premium, is colorless, costs the same to use as the Axe and flying is more powerful than a +2/+0.

Hall of Triumph is admittedly pretty sweet, though.

I'm not saying that Darksteel Axe, or really any of these cards, will make you instantly win any match because they're insanely more powerful than anything non-premium.

But when used in conjunction with other non-premium cards, they can certainly give your deck a competitive edge over an online opponent who doesn't have them.

I also just think it sucks that these cards are locked behind a paywall.

Parsnip

Is Steam gifting and trading just busted at the moment, or is it just me? Trying to send a game to a friend and stuff just isn't working.

lashman

Steam-GAF's Official Ambassador to Gaming-GAF
woohoo ... they just released the Carmageddon: Reincarnation Gameplay Trailer 4 :) nice

also - changelog for the just released Update 4 if anyone's interested :)

Time to cancel your evening plans, ignore the phone and get stuck into some Carma carnality as we bring you ANOTHER exciting Update! This is the 4th Update, as we continue to STUFF your Steam with Carma Goodness - WOO!
This time, we have lots of cool updates and NEW STUFF to check out - such as sexeh fully textured cars, new PowerUps, a new car, and whole new arena to play in! So go forth, download your Update and CHECK THIS LOT OUT:
Cars:
• Stiffshifter (Gameplay Ready)
• Volkswerker (Complete)
• Bear (Complete)
• Tashita (Complete)
Environments:
Bleak City - Outskirts
• 1 new route – Rushin’ Roulette
MagNuChem – The Core
• New arena! 1 Route – Core Blimey Mate
MagNuChem - Reprocessor
• 3 new routes!
• Bridge of Cries
• Pier Pressure
• Pass the Port
Dusty Trails – National Park
• No new routes - Powerups have been rejigged.
Frosty Pass – Rig Wreck
• New and improved! Now with more girth!
New Powerups!
• Spastic Opponents
• Suicidal Peds
• Jelly Suspension
• Wall Climber
Misc
• Placeable cameras in AR (check FAQ for how to use)
• Updated sound content

Chariot

I understand conceptually why people are upset, especially anyone who bought the so-called "complete" edition. But practically speaking, if the game is completely playable without those cards (which it almost certainly is), then there's no real strike against the game itself. It's not like any game based on Magic is even remotely "complete" and you can just treat it like those cards weren't included, just like thousands of others weren't. In essence, both sides are right. The game is fine and still the game you wanted. But this implementation of dlc boosters is pretty bogus.
In my opinion you can hold it easily against the game. It's magic, you don't want to be stuck against the same cheating campaign enemies, you want to play against other players competetive.
Not unlike like first person shooters, where the campaigns are more or less like a big tutorial. The true fun lies in multiplayer. And then somehow there are players with guns that you can't have without paying. There not more powerful per se, but work different and maybe fit you playstyle.
And you can't even just buy the gun that is not in the basepool, but fits your playstyle the best. Not, you have to buy booster packs where you COULD get the weapon.

woohoo ... they just released the Carmageddon: Reincarnation Gameplay Trailer 4 :) nice

The original was the first game I bought for my glorious Pentium 4 back in the day.
The game blew me away, complete freedom (even jumping between skyscraper rooftops was possible) and incredible damage models.
I remember my friends who had not played the game being blown away when they were driving around for the first time in GTA3 and I kept thinking that it was a lot more fun in Carmageddon.

Lomax

This is from the PC Gamer giveaway that is working now - http://www.pcgamer.com/2014/07/16/free-steam-key/

If you can't use the giveaway or don't feel like messing with it, here's my key. This key will give you an additional inventory copy as well.

ModBot said:
Instructions for Lomax:
Press the quote button to the left of this PM, select the quoted text, copy, and paste in the thread. You can remove these lines from the version you paste.

Instructions for participants:
I am giving away a Steam key. To enter this giveaway, send a PM to ModBot with any subject line. In the body, copy and paste the entire line from the message below containing the game you want to enter for.

ModBot Basics:
- No need to thank me. Please don't post thank you messages in thread or in PM.
- Do not trade keys you win off-site to enrich yourself.
- If the key is already taken you will not receive a reply. Replies may take a minute or two.

Rules for this Giveaway:
- This is a garbage dump. No other rules apply, you may claim as many as you want (there are no limits or throttles), and keys you win won't be counted as wins for your record. Do not SELL these keys for a profit.

Gun Monkeys -- MB-5252FFCF4B7ACD4D - Taken by WinterDemons

lashman

The original was the first game I bought for my glorious Pentium 4 back in the day.
The game blew me away, complete freedom (even jumping between skyscraper rooftops was possible) and incredible damage models.
I remember my friends who had not played the game being blown away when they were driving around for the first time in GTA3 and I kept thinking that it was a lot more fun in Carmageddon.

oh yeah, absolutely :) I used to play the first one A LOT back in the day :p that's why I'm happy they're making this new one :) and those are the same people too (well, mostly)!! :)

I'd maybe have preferred they redo the damage model a bit more, but as long as they didn't make it any worse, I won't complain too much.

redo? why? it's pretty good even now (it's still in EA) ... and it'll only get better :)

No matter how many hours I spend playing The Witcher the music always amazes me. It's perfect.

I wonder if the remaining novels will get an english translation. I have the option of going with spanish but they're much more expensive and the fact that they divided Lady of the Lake in 2 volumes makes it even worse.

We should have a Witcher community thread.

I just finished Baptism of Fire and it's really frustrating that the following novels will likely be spoiled for me buying playing The Witcher 3. Come on!

Lomax

So the prices in the community market now list list price and money you receive after cuts, apparently.

Very nice, that's a significant improvement.

Edit: Woah, just noticed I got a foil card for Rooks Keep. Only my third foil ever. Somehow I doubt there's much demand.
Undercut the other listing by 600%. Yep, I'm that guy.

I would agree that BioShock 2 is probably the best of the franchise, especially when you include Minerva's Den.

From a game design standpoint there's no contest imo. Same for gameplay. I've said it many times, it's just not as highly regarded because it doesn't have the element of surprise that comes with the introduction of a new setting.
Story was also pretty good. It actually has some things in common with Infinite.

Edit: BaS episode 2 actually ended up having the best gameplay imo, they finally brought back the weapon wheel and the stealth gave the game more variety, better late than never.

lashman

I haven't really been following it, but it looked like Carmageddon 2 from the trailer. Is it more detailed?

oh come on ... it doesn't look THAT bad :p Carma 2 was released in 1998 ;)
so yeah - I'd say it's MUCH more detailed than in Carma 2 :p

Grief.exe

The improvements in gameplay are far too significant for me to ignore. I favor it over the first.

edit: I forgot I haven't played Infinite yet

I have a hard time believing you will find the gameplay of Infinite to be greater than BioShock 2.

The gameplay of Infinite truly drags down the experience.

i remember when Bioshock 2 was GFWL , i bought the DLC for 400mp (5$)

That is exactly why 2K included Minerva's Den for existing BioShock 2 owners during the Steamworks conversion
Microsoft doesn't leave a way to track DLC purchases.

aku:jiki

In my opinion you can hold it easily against the game. It's magic, you don't want to be stuck against the same cheating campaign enemies, you want to play against other players competetive.
Not unlike like first person shooters, where the campaigns are more or less like a big tutorial. The true fun lies in multiplayer. And then somehow there are players with guns that you can't have without paying. There not more powerful per se, but work different and maybe fit you playstyle.
And you can't even just buy the gun that is not in the basepool, but fits your playstyle the best. Not, you have to buy booster packs where you COULD get the weapon.
But that's not how it works. There is no "playstyle" that can make you magically cast Maelstrom Angel or Griselbrand. In Magic as a whole, you would be correct, but the cards needed to make those cards sensible to play are not available in this videogame version of it.

I'm not saying that Darksteel Axe, or really any of these cards, will make you instantly win any match because they're insanely more powerful than anything non-premium.

But when used in conjunction with other non-premium cards, they can certainly give your deck a competitive edge over an online opponent who doesn't have them.

I also just think it sucks that these cards are locked behind a paywall.
But that's the entire point here. None of the cards in the premium list give that sort of tangible, clearly-superior advantage. Can Darksteel Axe give you the much-needed push to win if used at the perfect time? Of course it can, but so can the non-premium Titanic Growth, Primal Bellow, Beastmaster Ascension and even Advocate of the Beast, to just name the first few buffing cards I saw.

What if you're playing a deck that doesn't have those cards available to counter a mighty +2/+0 Darksteel wielder? You unsummon, exile, counter, destroy or steal him instead. Magic is a balanced game.

Rhaknar

The Steam equivalent of the drunk friend who keeps offering to pay your tab all night.
ugh fuck this
train level
in Wolfenstein, endless respawning enemies are the fucking worst, as are monster closets. Oh I clered this bit, wait a minute, where did you come from, there is NO DOOR THERE FOR YOU TO ENTER FROM

this is actually souring the whole game for me which I was loving thus far

ugh fuck this
train level
in Wolfenstein, endless respawning enemies are the fucking worst, as are monster closets. Oh I clered this bit, wait a minute, where did you come from, there is NO DOOR THERE FOR YOU TO ENTER FROM

this is actually souring the whole game for me which I was loving thus far

You mean
the bridge
? Or where you have to
steal a train
?

Purkake4

Banned
Cool, will go look up some more trailers then. That's the one thing that made Carmageddon awesome back then (aside from the wanton destruction and road rage).

Wow, dunder really is something else...

Well, here's a match from me and Soma we had yesterday. Nothing big happened but it's the first full L4D2 match I captured and uploaded, so why not. I have no monetization so I guess it's ok to post?

Edit: BaS episode 2 actually ended up having the best gameplay imo, they finally brought back the weapon wheel and the stealth gave the game more variety, better late than never.

Burial at Sea 2 is essentially Dishonored - Bioshock
or Thief, depending on how old school you are

The story stuff was hit or miss depending on how you feel about the bioshock games but at least it was really enjoyable to play.

Rhaknar

The Steam equivalent of the drunk friend who keeps offering to pay your tab all night.
You mean
the bridge
? Or where you have to
steal a train
?

I mean a level where you
have to steal a train or something
. But good to know theres another one like this coming >_>

Amzin

I've been wondering about a Carmageddon spiritual sequel for years, much less an ACTUAL sequel, had no idea this was on Steam. May be one of the first early access games I buy and play!

The_Super_Inframan

"the journey to a thousand games ends with bad rats. ~Lao Tzu" ~Gabe Newell
We're all set, The_Infra_Superman is psyched up for his revenge!

Stream: http://www.twitch.tv/dunderhassan

Next time... I already started a new more intensive training program

ivan-drago-o.gif

I really enjoy watching these. It's like a cat playing with a mouse, and the more the mouse thinks it can win, the harder the cat trolls.

I will be the cat soon!

evil-cat-o.gif

Hey guys I'm at the airport now waiting till the plane let's people in. I'll talk to you guys soon hopefully. <3 and to keep my post on topic:

I played a bit more of abyss oddssey last night after my original impression and once you get the hang of the shitty turning and unlock more skills you can do some neat combos.also I cheesed the boss with that move where the girl just keeps on stabbing repeatedly lmao! Also unlocked the monk.

lashman

I've been wondering about a Carmageddon spiritual sequel for years, much less an ACTUAL sequel, had no idea this was on Steam. May be one of the first early access games I buy and play!

yeah - even now you can feel that's going to be an ACTUAL Carmageddon game :) not just something with the same name :) keep in mind though - it's in Early Access ... and in case of this game - VERY early access ;) but they are updating it quite often and they have a weekly stream on twitch where they answer questions from people :)

Looking for moderators/facilitators for NeoGAF's Games Night group.

To apply, do not reply in this thread. Reply to the thread in the link above.

I am currently looking for moderators/facilitators for Neogaf's Games Night! As of this post, I am currently the only facilitator meaning I can only host one game per weekend. Hopefully with more moderators we can set up more games to play on the weekend.

What is expected:
You will set the time for other Gaffers to join your game. You will be in charge of setting up the game you decide to play and handle the logistics of allowing other Gaf members to join your game.

How to set up a playtime:
As a facilitator you will be given the power to create events for this steam group that are then broadcasted to everyone in the group. These events are used to indicate the time and game that will be played. If you wish to advertise on the NeoGaf steam thread I can help you with your post. (including creating banners and creating the countdown timer)

Gameplay enviornment:
This group is designed to maintain a casual, fun enviornment. No elitism, trash talking or hateful comments. If a player is causing trouble, message me and we will work something out.

----

How to apply:
Please create a post in this thread with this format:

NeoGAF ID: phoenix296
Times available: 3:30-5:30PM PDT (Remember to include your timezone)
Days available: Fri, Sat, Sun
Games to Host:
Counter-Strike:Global Offensive
Left 4 Dead 2
etc...

Template
NeoGAF ID:
Times available:
Days available:
Games to Host:

Sub Zero

his body's cold as ice, but he's got a heart of gold
I received a lot of PMs and steamchat messages from Gaffers regarding tf2 keys. Since I can't reply to each and everyone of you I'm going to post this here.

I am now selling them for $1.9 per key. PM me if still interested

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom