• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

STEAM | July 2014-2 In his house at R'lyeh, dead Cthulhu waits dreaming

Status
Not open for further replies.
That's not how it is. Yes, the numbers on the premium cards are very high and they have dramatic art and all this stuff, but they're not as good as you think. You have to remember to factor in the entirety of the card, not just stop at their high power or crazy abilities. The mana cost is extremely important.

I'm skipping a bunch of posts, but this caught my eye.
I'm going to weigh in with #TRUTHFACTS from *gasp* REAL-LIFE-EXPERIENCES... so sit down and let Grandpa Frost tell you a story from back in the days when he was a whippersnapper like all of y'all.

Back in high school, I used to have some ridiculously awesome decks. I had bought a few crowning jewels to make my Magic builds pretty fuckin' deadly. I still have some of them, like Force of Nature and Berserk (one of my favorite combos ever). However, one day when a known thief managed to nick my Balduvian Horde (that card was a fucking unstoppable force), I ended up buying it back from him because I couldn't replace it and I couldn't prove he stole it.

Anyway, this got me to be very weary about bringing my higher value cards to school where someone could pilfer my shit. So I made some crazy ridiculous statement to my friends about "yeah, I bet I could go down to Dan's Dugout and build a deck with nothing more than an uncommon in it for probably less than $10 and beat the hell out of y'all regularly." They tried to call me on that, saying I was talking bullshit and it wasn't possible. So that afternoon, I wandered down to the Dugout and started looking through his common/uncommon box. After <$10 later, I had a 40 card deck with a sideboard of 4-8 cards that were useless in some situations. I proceeded to show up the next day and wreck every mothereffer who played me. And after that, even when they figured out HOW my deck worked, most people couldn't stop it unless I got a bad draw or they got an extremely good one (or some combination of the two). That deck probably has a >85% win rate. It's insane -- and I still have it up in my collection. I think it only has cards from 4th Edition, Fallen Empires, and maybe some Ice Age as well.

Lesson here:
Just cause a card is rare or expensive does not make it good and does not make it good in every deck.
Even in the most well designed decks, a bad shuffle/draw will leave you helpless as well... so while I haven't looked into the Magic 2015 stuff yet, I can tell you that aku:jiki speaks the truth.

Chariot

But that's not how it works. There is no "playstyle" that can make you magically cast Maelstrom Angel or Griselbrand. In Magic as a whole, you would be correct, but the cards needed to make those cards sensible to play are not available in this videogame version of it.

But that's the entire point here. None of the cards in the premium list give that sort of tangible, clearly-superior advantage. Can Darksteel Axe give you the much-needed push to win if used at the perfect time? Of course it can, but so can the non-premium Titanic Growth, Primal Bellow, Beastmaster Ascension and even Advocate of the Beast, to just name the first few buffing cards I saw.

What if you're playing a deck that doesn't have those cards available to counter a mighty +2/+0 Darksteel wielder? You unsummon, exile, counter, destroy or steal him instead. Magic is a balanced game.
As I said before. The problem is not that these cards are better than the other cards. But they have different functions, they are different cards after all, and that could be potentially cards one would want for their deck. The point is possiblities.

On the bright side, you can perfectly make your own decks from scratch. Mono color, duo, insane five colourdeck? Everything no problem.
540BBC7EABF6535C03AA2147A7EB67E3817AE64F

729B15F296C308369AA5EFB92804C5D6CD51E279

Even if that that really annoyed me the 5 seconds I had to see that. >:I

The_Super_Inframan

"the journey to a thousand games ends with bad rats. ~Lao Tzu" ~Gabe Newell
Haha, I'm prepared for anything you got!

Archieved the broadcast in case someone wanna check in our races.
Practice rouns starts 11 minutes in (troll deluxe) and the competition 56 minutes in (serious racing mostly).

http://www.twitch.tv/dunderhassan/b/548130186

Thanks for the races!

The last ten minutes are the best part, thats where I almost...almost...got him

tumblr_inline_moc7sjmG3O1qz4rgp.gif

Anteater

phew, thought it was gonna be giant spiders or something

also why don't you have sound? It kinda bothers me. :p

I thought it would save space or something, lol

But for some reason the original video I recorded don't have sound either, hmm I'll need to look into it

I mean a level where you
have to steal a train or something
. But good to know theres another one like this coming >_>

It's not similar, there's just train cars in it.

And if enemies are continually appearing, it might be because one of the commanders is still alive. Once you kill them, the radio signal prompt in the corner of the screen should go away and no more reinforcements will show up.

The_Super_Inframan

almost doesn't count :p

against Dunder it does :p

ModBot said:
Instructions for participants:
I am giving away a Steam key. To enter this giveaway, send a PM to ModBot with any subject line. In the body, copy and paste the entire line from the message below containing the game you want to enter for.

ModBot Basics:
- I really appreciate thank you messages, but please send them to me (The_Super_Inframan, not ModBot!) via PM instead of in thread.
- Do not trade keys you win off-site to enrich yourself. Don't try to claim games you have no interest in collecting or playing. Don't claim games to give them to friends off-site.
- If the key is already taken you will not receive a reply. Replies may take a minute or two.

Rules for this Giveaway:
- This giveaway is a LIGHTNING raffle. The winners will be selected by random draw 15 minutes after the draw was created. Any games not claimed after that point will be given away first come first serve.

Strategic War in Europe -- MB-E48393772749415B - Taken by Mavromatis. 2 entrants total.

t1405541283z1.png

AHA-Lambda

ugh fuck this
train level
in Wolfenstein, endless respawning enemies are the fucking worst, as are monster closets. Oh I clered this bit, wait a minute, where did you come from, there is NO DOOR THERE FOR YOU TO ENTER FROM

this is actually souring the whole game for me which I was loving thus far

Thought it was easily the worst level personally.

RionaaM

Unconfirmed Member
Wow, 30+ years of Weird Al to discover? I envy you. Don't trust YouTube though, lots of things these days get labeled as being Weird Al that aren't. Use Wikipedia for an album list to get song titles and information. Fat, Amish Paradise, Smells like Nirvana, White and Nerdy... there's so many great songs.
I've been browsing his Wiki page, and to be honest I don't know 95% of the stuff he parodies. I'm not sure if I'll be able to enjoy it despite that :/

dot

I thought it would save space or something, lol

But for some reason the original video I recorded don't have sound either, hmm I'll need to look into it

I think it does save a little space but only by a little probably.

I just watched the last few minutes of Dunder's stream. Wow that was close!

Archaix

Drunky McMurder
I've been browsing his Wiki page, and to be honest I don't know 95% of the stuff he parodies. I'm not sure if I'll be able to enjoy it despite that :/

I've successfully avoided ever hearing Blurred Lines in my life, but his Word Crimes video yesterday was still great. You'd appreciate them more if you knew the original song usually, but he's simply a good writer and can make a hilarious song even without proper context.

Rhaknar

The Steam equivalent of the drunk friend who keeps offering to pay your tab all night.
It's not similar, there's just train cars in it.

And if enemies are continually appearing, it might be because one of the commanders is still alive. Once you kill them, the radio signal prompt in the corner of the screen should go away and no more reinforcements will show up.

yeah i finished the level shortly after bitching about it. turns out I was right at the end. still annoying tho. carrying on

on a
bridge level in a helicopter after going down into the ocean
, am I almost done?

Nabs

Basic SpeedRunners tips for new players:

1) Don't waste all of your boost. It can come in handy down the line.
2) Use your boost to adjust your arc in the air. If you're just floating in the air, this can push you forward. If you're falling off a ledge, the boost can push you in the correct direction.
3) Swinging is really fast! Use it whenever you can.

Woooooww I'm watching this archive (last match) and wwttttfff use the ball on Dunder! He's right behind you!

I just finished Baptism of Fire and it's really frustrating that the following novels will likely be spoiled for me buying playing The Witcher 3. Come on!

I wonder if they'll translate at least one more before TW3.
I'll just have to suck it up and read the rest in Spanish, already had to do it with Sword of Destiny, so stupid that they skipped it.

Slightly off topic, but EVGA has an event going on again. It's not a referral link :) They have 4 events there and one easy one on the front page for PrecisionX 15. I've already got my Shadowplay submission in from one of our SteamGAF CS GO games! Probably won't win but I love it either way. So yeah, gonna put some CS GO time on their servers later on. Maybe some L4D2 games as well.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=GJUJJ2Hf9BA
I should have been recording stuff last night. ;~;

Thanks for the heads up on this though.

RionaaM

Unconfirmed Member
I've successfully avoided ever hearing Blurred Lines in my life, but his Word Crimes video yesterday was still great. You'd appreciate them more if you knew the original song usually, but he's simply a good writer and can make a hilarious song even without proper context.
Good to know! I really liked that one, which was posted earlier today in this thread (and I also don't know the original song).

Kanokare

I should have been recording stuff last night. ;~;

Thanks for the heads up on this though.

Same. I was actually doing well for once too.

No prob :) Love their events. Actually won a few things some years ago.

You guys can also download demos in CS:GO. You won't get the voice chat that you had during the match but you can still get game play from it. Just go to your match history and download it and watch it. Typing demoui in console helps navigate the demo easier.

If you already know this never mind >_>

BinaryPork2737

Unconfirmed Member
Unrest SE can be bought for under $10 if use the 20% code
P36EYA-K5JYKT-ABO7X9
On GMG, it's less than half the price that Steam has it lol.

Tempting. Very tempti- oh it can't be used with credit, meh.

I'm sure some people will be pleased to hear that Hatoful Boyfriend is getting some updates according to SteamDB and the store page has appeared

http://store.steampowered.com/app/310080/

I'm more than ready for this to come to Steam. Shame it doesn't have cards though, missed opportunity.

One Way heroics
Conclusion
This game is surprisingly addicting. At first it doesn't look like much but the more you play it the more it grows on you. You quickly realize that strategy is involved depending on the class your playing. The fact that you are forced to keep moving means you are going to have to make some tough decisions. Given the price point, this is probably one of the better deals you will find.

OWH is so good. It's easily been one of the best purchases I've made since I started playing PC games again. I've lost track of how many times I've gifted it to people.

Those models though.

header_292x136.jpg

New RPG maker game is up and it's battle graphics look rather good
http://store.steampowered.com/app/310450/

Anyone played the game and can offer impressions of it?

Wow, this actually looks pretty good. I'm actually surprised how good that looks.

Did this one get mentioned?

Groupees Paradox Effect bundle

Definitely buying for the Samaritan Paradox.

So since it worked so well for Valve's metagame, now Greenlight hopefuls are getting in on the kinda very sketchy "you might win a game!!!" racket?

Time to vote "no thanks" on any game that does this. Shame since I had already voted "yes" on Run or Die.

You guys can also download demos in CS:GO. You won't get the voice chat that you had during the match but you can still get game play from it. Just go to your match history and download it and watch it. Typing demoui in console helps navigate the demo easier.

Actually I had no idea how to do this.

almost doesn't count :p

It does in horseshoes and hand grenades.

"demos" seems like a really weird word for replay?

The_Super_Inframan

Woooooww I'm watching this archive (last match) and wwttttfff use the ball on Dunder! He's right behind you!

I'm still not really used to the ball... and I was nervous as fuck at that moment :p

But yeah, I made lots of dumb mistakes, It just gets so intense after a while...

Kanokare

Actually I had no idea how to do this.

Yeah it was like a patch last year or something. Pretty cool. The demos used to be a bit wonky and not record every actual movement but it's a bit better now. You can also watch highlights which shows frags and stuff only.

It does in horseshoes and hand grenades.

"demos" seems like a really weird word for replay?

I don't know why it's called a demo as well but its been that since my 1.x days.

nexen

Why are the enemy sprites in the battle a completely different art style than the npc sprites?
Is there some sort of racist undercurrent in the game? We must wipe out those who are rendered more realistically than us!

My brother is wanting to get the latest Football Manager, Cdkeys has it for £10. Would you guys consider this site OK to use or is dodgy in terms of key reselling?

BinaryPork2737

Unconfirmed Member
Here's some games from the most recent Groupees bundle. They look sort of not good, so don't thank me for them.

ModBot said:
Instructions for participants:
I am giving away 3 Steam keys. To enter this giveaway, send a PM to ModBot with any subject line. In the body, copy and paste the entire line from the message below that corresponds to the game you want. (if you include more than one game, you will be blocked from entering).

ModBot Basics:
- No need to thank me. Please don't post thank you messages in thread or in PM.
- Do not trade keys you win off-site to enrich yourself. Don't try to claim games you have no interest in collecting or playing. Don't claim games to give them to friends off-site.
- If the key is already taken you will not receive a reply. Replies may take a minute or two.

Rules for this Giveaway:
- If you are a lurker you are not eligible for this giveaway. You need five or more posts in either the current Steam thread or the previous one to be eligible
- This is a free for all! You can enter for multiple games on the list below. Send an individual PM for each game you'd like to win.
- This giveaway is a LIGHTNING raffle. The winners will be selected by random draw 15 minutes after the draw was created. Any games not claimed after that point will be given away first come first serve.

Legends of Persia -- MB-ABF040EEB37BC7C0 - Taken by Armoured Priest. 3 entrants total.
A.I.M.2 Clan Wars -- MB-7591A3007FDB6767 - Taken by zeroOman. 2 entrants total.
Dead Effect -- MB-7BE5AE91CB3D1868 - Taken by Purkake4. 3 entrants total.

t1405543323z1.png

L.O.R.D

for people who interested in EVGA PrecisionX 15 Achievements on steam and they have mobile GPU
I tested this with an NVIDIA GTX880M mobile GPU set, tried and got all achievements except:

• Max RPM's (fan does not appear to react at all, not manually nor to fan curve)
  • It's OK to be Cautious (TEST button is disabled)
  • Twins (the Intel HD GPU does not count for this one, has to be the same GPU)
  • Serious GPU Horsepower (even with the Intel HD still 2 GPU short)
  • Overclocking at the South Pole (I didn't feel like trying this one in the freezer ;)
  • and none of the GPU clock ones, since the dial won't let me go over 1089MHz.

So I'd say it probably will work for your GTX660M too, with some limitations, possibly no test option or fan control.

* I did use the laptop's own controls to set fan RPM to 100% with this software running, but this did not register the Max RPM achievement

http://steamcommunity.com/app/268850/discussions/0/45350791982380473/?tscn=1405537545

BTW, the program is up now
and its free,like the previous one
http://store.steampowered.com/app/268850

BinaryPork2737

Unconfirmed Member
My brother is wanting to get the latest Football Manager, Cdkeys has it for £10. Would you guys consider this site OK to use or is dodgy in terms of key reselling?

If you have to ask, the answer is usually no. And since that's an unauthorized key reseller, the answer is no. As in, don't buy from this site because your key could be invalidated.

Would anyone be willing to get me two copies of the Tomb Raider Japanese language DLC? I'd get it myself but I can't even view the page here in the US. I'm assuming it will work when I get it and activate it, right? I can Paypal or trade for a game of equal value. I believe it's $2.50.

When I acquired it via channels last night, the price was "249 US cents". :3

Steam and Steel looks good, but I dunno...there's Final Fantasy 6 and then there's everything else.

Hahahaha, and I was taking your seriously for awhile there. :p

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom