• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

STEAM | July 2014-2 In his house at R'lyeh, dead Cthulhu waits dreaming

Status
Not open for further replies.

Nabs

Thanks for the links, but my DS4 is working great with everything else, just not BoI. I wonder if it is something specific to that game. I'll tinker some more

BoI doesn't have controller support. If you're using one of the more modern DS4 programs, you can probably just create a custom profile for BoI. If you're not, you can use something like JoyToKey or whatever else is out there.

I might be interested in Magicite. I'll be home in an hour and a half. If you can wait until then for me to make sure, that'd be awesome.

If you are, I can hold you one. Please let me know ASAP.

BoI doesn't have controller support. If you're using one of the more modern DS4 programs, you can probably just create a custom profile for BoI. If you're not, you can use something like JoyToKey or whatever else is out there.

The newer DS4 programs allow you to do PGP/xPadder stuff?

yGray

Banned
Playing through Bioshock for like the first time. Killed two Big Daddies so far. Is the game supposed to be this easy? I die a lot but there are no consequences. Even the enemies stay with their lost health. I guess it kind of sucks that you lose the ammo, health and eve that you use but you are revived with enough eve to keep coming back and spamming attacks.

Eerr... I better stop, This is addictive.
Dat accuracy though.
kYXKyj7.png

Playing through Bioshock for like the first time. Killed two Big Daddies so far. Is the game supposed to be this easy? I die a lot but there are no consequences. Even the enemies stay with their lost health. I guess it kind of sucks that you lose the ammo, health and eve that you use but you are revived with enough eve to keep coming back and spamming attacks.

Start hardest mode.
Disable vita chambers.
Live in fear of Big Daddies.

Ozium

Hi.. I slept for 13 hours and finally ate some food.. feels good man.

I have all these greenlight games to keep track of from various bundles, I really should make a spreadsheet.. currently I just have them listed in a file called 'poop.txt'

anything new?

Dongs Macabre

aka Daedalos42
Has it been posted yet that the Saints Row IV Game of the Century edition has an exclusive weapon skin that's not sold separately?

Really? That sucks for people that own the base game, since there's no upgrade option. Hopefully they don't region lock it and have a sale soon. I really want to get it, but it's current price is still a bit too high for my liking.

no it's not supposed to be hard as you said there's very little penalty wise dieing

Miker

Turn off Vita chambers, I guess. And force yourself to use all the various weapons/ammo types instead of going for the most efficient kill.

Really? That sucks for people that own the base game, since there's no upgrade option. Hopefully they don't region lock it and have a sale soon. I really want to get it, but it's current price is still a bit too high for my liking.

I hate that early buyers always get effed up with almost everything. I remember I bought Dead Island at release, then they months later the game was cheap as hell with all the DLC, but somehow the DLC were far more expensive than the GOTY at that point...

EdmondD

Watching some videos of Abyss Odyssey it seems Katrien is voiced by Mary Elizabeth Mcglynn. Damn, this game just keeps getting better and better. Probably doesn't mean much to some but as a huge SIlent Hill fan this is really cool to me.

rtcn63

I hate that early buyers always get effed up with almost everything. I remember I bought Dead Island at release, then they months later the game was cheap as hell with all the DLC, but somehow the DLC were far more expensive than the GOTY at that point...

And the GOTY didn't appear to suffer from the save game corruption that the normal game did across all platforms.

Shade

To quote JaseC:

This is in fact a registration key you need to use when creating a Sky Nations account. Come the 17th it'll no longer be possible to retrieve Steam keys via the site for some bizarre reason, at which point e-mail will be the only option, so don't dilly-dally.

There should be 2 keys, for some reason only 1 shows. If you happen to win 2 keys, just give the other one away here or to a friend, either works for me. Enjoy!

ModBot said:
Instructions for participants:
I am giving away a Steam key. To enter this giveaway, send a PM to ModBot with any subject line. In the body, copy and paste the entire line from the message below containing the game you want to enter for.

ModBot Basics:
- I really appreciate thank you messages, but please send them to me (Shade, not ModBot!) via PM instead of in thread.
- Do not trade keys you win off-site to enrich yourself. Don't try to claim games you have no interest in collecting or playing. Don't claim games to give them to friends off-site.
- If the key is already taken you will not receive a reply. Replies may take a minute or two.

Sky Nations -- MB-A6B1741C7EB49674 - Taken by Kuroyume

Genki

Diagonals are easier on gamepad sticks, making gamepad movement more fluid. Executing a circle on a keyboard is cumbersome, for instance. Time to move a stick left is functionally the same as switching keys. Nor is Isaac a game that requires overly exacting twitch reflexes, if there is a demonstrable milliseconds difference between the two input devices. Most situations can be overcome with knowledge of room spawns and enemy movement/fire patterns, as well as proper resource usage.

Completely disagree that diagonals are harder on keyboard. Full circles, yes unless you remap up to a key your thumb can reach(say space), in which case a keyboard is way faster. This is useful in fighting games for standing 720s for instance, but it not something you need to do in Isaac so I don't see why it's relevant.

You're playing 2d games with a stick? That's even worse and definitely not as fast. On a keyboard you already have your finger on the next key you want, so...

I agree Isaac is not a demanding game so it's not very important. I just think if there's an advantageous input device for the game it would be a good keyboard. Of course if you lack experience with action games on a keyboard there would be a period of acclimation before you'd do as well.

wilflare

If you are, I can hold you one. Please let me know ASAP.

The newer DS4 programs allow you to do PGP/xPadder stuff?

yes. use DS4Windows by J2K
you can create custom controller mappings (yes map keyboard keys to DS4). you can also create a Shift key to get even more functions/mapping out

the F12 (screenshot function) is mapped to my DS4's Share Button :D

----
and you can switch profiles by swiping from left to right/right to left on your DS4 Touchpad :D

it's perfection.gif

Parsnip

I kind of want a new monitor. Though I kind of don't need one, yet. But this one's 6 years old now, it's high time for an upgrade, right?

yes. use DS4Windows by J2K
you can create custom controller mappings (yes map keyboard keys to DS4). you can also create a Shift key to get even more functions/mapping out

the F12 (screenshot function) is mapped to my DS4's Share Button :D

----
and you can switch profiles by swiping from left to right/right to left on your DS4 Touchpad :D

it's perfection.gif

Except it doesn't support DS3 or multiple controllers, right?

Tenrius

Just realized that GFWL is still alive, apparently. The promised downfall didn't happen, which might mean that I'll be able to finish playing RE5 coop.

Grief.exe

Just realized that GFWL is still alive, apparently. The promised downfall didn't happen, which might mean that I'll be able to finish playing RE5 coop.

It became fairly obvious a little while ago that Microsoft had quietly pushed back the unofficial shutdown date.

We didn't say too much before July 1st just in case, but if you followed the bread crumbs, then you saw this happening.

The current company line is GFWL will function for the 'foreseeable future.'

^^
Dino D-Day

Thank you.

Grief.exe

This is on the front page of Reddit currently

Valve is uncommunicative. Everyone knows that. Anyone who has had the bad fortune of dealing with Steam support can attest to that. It is eerily hard to get in contact with an employee under Steam and that is only truly made clear when you are in a situation where you are left helpless and the only people that can help you are the people that feel like that they are trying to actively avoid you. The fact of it is, in its current form Valve has one of the slowest, inadequate and unsatisfactory online customer service available on the internet. It's abysmal. I have no intentions of offending anyone that works under them, neither I'm going out of my way to be mean much less I'm just trying to project the level of frustration and helplessnes that I've been under this past 8 days. That all may sound like hyperbole but the level inadmissibility the service exhibits is only made worse by the stature of a company such as Valve. I use the word inadmissibility because it has the closest meaning to the word ''unacceptability'', and I have a problem with that word. It implies that I'm owed a service, entitled to receive attention and that Valve should in any and all circumstances drop what they are doing and go out of their way to help me. Not so, but there is also the reality that when you take people's money out of their pockets, and they do this a lot, in many creative ways, you are morally obligated to have an infrastructure to further help your customers with all kinds of issues that they may have with the product. And the truth of it is cookie cutter bot answers are unacceptable.
Valve is a private company. They never announce how much money they make on a monthly basis. But it's no secret that they make a lot. It's no secret that their bank account was filled with at least 40 million dollars at some point in the past month from the Compendium purchases.
And I'm writing this because I'm angry, powerless and I need to vent. There is a good chance that once I get my account back, I'll leave this be and that'll be the end of it. As it stands I am able to access zero games from my library. The ticket that I've put my proof of ownership in remains open since the 8th. If the answer I get is not enough that'll probably mean another week of waiting.
When it works Steam is really one of the best gaming platforms you can be on. But Godspeed to you if you are no longer content with the service you are getting and need to get in touch.
I've heard a ton of reasons why Valve is unwilling to implement a phone or a live chat service and frankly I don't really care. I put so much time and money in to that single account it only makes me feel like I got the worse end of the deal when I hear people getting locked out of their extensive game libraries that cost tens of thousands of dollars and that's the end of it for them. It only happens when it happens. Everything about this is unacceptable.
Edit: If you want to speak your mind, go to http://www.valvesoftware.com/email.php. But I beg you please, be constructive, if you have nothing nice or polite to say don't say it, this thread already kind of got out of hand, I appreciate everyone tuning in to comment and I'm trying to respond to everyone. I don't want this to be a circlejerk, we all clearly love Valve and use Steam religiously and we all want it to improve so if you have any idea or just want Valve to be just more open in general go ahead. I respect everyone who works customer service in their behalf and would hate myself if I direct negativity towards them. Don't forget you have other human beings at the end of the other screen.

http://www.reddit.com/r/Games/comments/2av45q/the_state_of_steam_customer_support_and_why_its/

Lain

Is there a way to make Shantae fullscreen? Playing in a 1920x1080 window with borders isn't cool. naturally the other option is not to play in 1920 since it's going to be a window, but I'd rather play in fullscreen if possible.

CheesecakeRecipe

Stormy Grey
I prefer my audio to be 24/96 FLAC, from the factory master pressed to Vinyl and hand washed in quadruple filtered water blessed by His Holiness Of Sound in a water font made of crystal.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom