• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

STEAM | July 2014-2 In his house at R'lyeh, dead Cthulhu waits dreaming

Status
Not open for further replies.
Better than "Significant Other".

I will never understand hate for this and I've never seen anyone provide a reason for hating it. It's a blanket term that doesn't make assumptions about someone's gender, sex, sexuality or relationship status. If you say "so, has any of your guys' wives caught you playing Sexy Beach?" some of those guys might just have a girlfriend, they might have boyfriends or they might not identify as men. You can bypass any problems as a result of that with S.O.

Hate for more innocuous phrases tends to be irrational/stupid anyway, but I'd rather hear someone's reasoning for this than assume.

jshackles

Gentlemen, we can rebuild it. We have the capability to make the world's first enhanced store. Steam will be that store. Better than it was before.
What? Really? Even the one that you pay an upfront fee higher than an initial or 30 day subscription cost?

There are currently only two games that use this:

Darkfall Unholy Wars and EVE Online.

With EVE you buy the Starter pack and the game (presumably) stays in your library like any other. With Darkfall though, you just buy the subscription. Once you stop paying for the subscription, the game is removed from your library (game count -1, the horror!).

Ozium

If you have to ask if an extra dollar is worth it then you probably shouldn't be buying anything. ;)

it's this ad here on neogaf that's making me wonder...

jshackles

Gentlemen, we can rebuild it. We have the capability to make the world's first enhanced store. Steam will be that store. Better than it was before.

woohoo - Defense Grid 2 page is up (along with pre-orders :p)

Awesome. I'm in the beta and it says I already own it. I wonder if they'll clear that up, or if I'll get to keep it?

JaseC

gave away the keys to the kingdom.
Although I hope it isn't like the other monthly payment games that get removed from your library after you subscription ends.

Yeah, I prefer the EVE Online approach -- a starter pack for newcomers and subscription options for those who've used up their time.

Dr Dogg

There are currently only two games that use this:

Darkfall Unholy Wars and EVE Online.

With EVE you buy the Starter pack and the game (presumably) stays in your library like any other. With Darkfall though, you just buy the subscription. Once you stop paying for the subscription, the game is removed from your library (game count -1, the horror!).

Ah good to know. Cheers. Phew my copy of FFXIV is fine to fester until I finally have a lifetime to devote to it. Bloody kids don't know they're born with all their free time.

jshackles

Yeah, I prefer the EVE Online approach -- a starter pack for newcomers and subscription options for those who've used up their time.

Same here. I actually wish Square Enix did this with Final Fantasy XIV subscriptions directly through Steam. As it is I can't really be bothered with "going through the process" with them directly. This way seems super simple, though that might not be a good thing for my wallet.

^^ or my free time

JaseC

I'm going to hazard a guess and say this is ESO. It's the only app in the registry with recurring subs that isn't already known.

JaseC

So was this planned for 3 months? Or was this like 'just in case our game fails to sell/keep subscribers, we can always jump on steam'?

I'd say the latter judging from the lack of activity. I don't doubt that the reason the game wasn't on Steam from the off was that Zenimax believed the ES name was strong enough to support the game alone.

oupi

oh snap. dark souls 2 dlc next week. I've been living under a rock apparently.

I put off finishing the game due to not being able to beat ancient dragon and vendrick. Maybe with the dlc I'll have a chance to level a bit more or get some gear that can help with those situations.

Damn, I totall0y forgot. I still have to finish the game as well.

Dr Dogg

woohoo - Defense Grid 2 page is up (along with pre-orders :p)

Despite my disdain for tower defence games I didn't mind the first Defence Grid. Well I say mind I played about an hour or 2 before the lack of mobility doing my head in. I thought Sanctum might be the game to turn me round but nope it's still felt like I was stuck in one place. Even Anomaly with it's reverse tower defence mechanics failed to win me over as there is really little different outside of swapping sides. Well I can't like everything.

This is so unfair. Game is rigged!

McJZUZ8.png

Everything has been taged on Steam as Kawaii so that's one ruled out.

Literally fell asleep during a cut scene for The Bureau. My goodness, what a boring dialogue system around such great art.

Have some sort of customer protection policy. I don't know nor should I, I'm not the one running the site.

You are NOT buying a game with a kickstarter. You are donating money.

It's a simple site with simple rules. If you're not good with that idea, then never participate.

BTW, they can't have a customer protection policy because there are no customers. There are only backers.

Turfster

So was this planned for 3 months? Or was this like 'just in case our game fails to sell/keep subscribers, we can always jump on steam'?

Just in case?
There has been zero buzz about this game.
There's hardly been any negative buzz either.
It just submarined from release.

That sucks. Customization was really missing from previous versions, but at the expense of everything else...

I don't like this name.....

Is your name Stanley? Or maybe you're from Cleveland?
Either way, now I don't like it either.

That yogventures kickstarter stuff is incredible.

Incredible douchbaggery.

Stumpokafonz.

I lol'ed. :D

Have some sort of customer protection policy. I don't know nor should I, I'm not the one running the site.

Kickstarter is just a match making service. Asking for customer protection here is like asking a stockbroker to guarantee a positive RoI on a stock you choose to purchase.

The_Super_Inframan

"the journey to a thousand games ends with bad rats. ~Lao Tzu" ~Gabe Newell
Awesome. I'm in the beta and it says I already own it. I wonder if they'll clear that up, or if I'll get to keep it?

I Kickstarted this one and have been in the Beta for about two month now and it says the same for me, so maybe you're lucky and they upgrade all the beta keys to the full version :)

And all Tower Defense lovers should get on to this one, gonna be great! :)

Mokoi

Banned

I'm going to say just in case. This game seems to have little buzz both positive and negative. I had no idea this game existed until today.

Edit: lol turf pretty much said what I said.

JaseC

I Kickstarted this one and have been in the Beta for about two month now and it says the same for me, so maybe you're lucky and they upgrade all the beta keys to the full version :)

And all Tower Defense lovers should get on to this one, gonna be great! :)

That'd be nice and all, but if the third tier is unlocked then I'll be forced to pre-order the SE, haha.

I'm going to say just in case. This game seems to have little buzz both positive and negative. I had no idea this game existed until today.

Also, the subs were made just five days after the game launched. Curiouser and curiouser.

Grief.exe

how does an MMO work on steam? Does steam collect a percentage of the subscription monies or do they only get a cut from the actually game's sales, like usual?

Valve gets a cut if they pay with Steam wallet. The developer can still charge through their website or other means.

oh snap. dark souls 2 dlc next week. I've been living under a rock apparently.

I put off finishing the game due to not being able to beat ancient dragon and vendrick. Maybe with the dlc I'll have a chance to level a bit more or get some gear that can help with those situations.

There is a pattern to beating ancient dragon. Once you look up a guide on YouTube, he falls fairly quickly.

I actually didn't even know TESO released...

It was met with an extremely tepid response, so I don't blame you.

wetflame

Pizza Dog

It's very clearly laid out what the risks are though. Kickstarter aren't selling anything, they're providing a platform for companies or individuals to ask for money to fund development of a product, if that development goes badly then it's not Kickstarter's fault, and there's no feasible way for them to ensure that everyone comes out of the process happy. It's on the developers to either make good on their promises, or not and face the backlash of their investors. However, with no real sort of contract due to people essentially donating them money, there's really nothing anyone can do. Kickstarter isn't going to spend it's own money to put things right somehow, they're just a place for people to ask for donations.

morningbus

Serious Sam is a wicked gahbidge series for chowdaheads.
There are no gods or kings... except for the people who are still contributing codes!

Current Total: 312 (approximately 3 codes away from the 4-month negative bill goal)!

Again, a huge thank you for everyone who is joining in on this. I'm sure many of you are doing it for the pure absurdity of it, but please know that I am truly, truly outrageousgrateful.

M&M Scoreboard said:
36 from Morningbus
42 from Toki767
36 from Jawmuncher
24 from Mono
24 from Mokoi
24 from default two
18 from iosefe
18 from BinaryPork2737
12 from CorrosiveFrost
12 from Anustart
12 from dot
6 from Cheddahz
6 from Armoured Priest
6 from Amzin
6 from Gunstarheroes
6 from tiny raptor
6 from Chocobro
6 from Cloudius12
6 from thesaucetastic
6 from Pickles Spill

A few comments for the wonderful people who contributed since the last update:

I’m starting to think that BinaryPork2737 has been sent back in time from the distant future of 2758 to prevent a great catastrophe from occurring. Or he is here to cause the great catastrophe. Either way, it looks like I’m the next Joesph Stalin everyone!

Pickles Spill is cool as a cucumber, giving me a code like it ain't no thing.

Mokoi would be burned at the stake if he applied his powerful magicks back in the 1700s! Thankfully he is alive today and just burnin’ up the scoreboard instead

Jawmuncher is giving me codes like I told him I have control over whether Capcom releases another Dino Crisis. NO ONE TELL HIM I CAN’T DO THAT. Jawmuncher becomes the first to hit the $36/6-code mark.

dot is just one code short of an ellipsis by contributing another code (for a grand total of two)(god damn I made this reference convoluted).

As if summoned to this realm by an ethereal knowledge of scoreboard supremacy, Toki767 is back to cut short the reign of Jawmuncher by contributing two codes and becoming the first to crack the $42/7-code mark. Pray that Toki767’s attention is not trained on you, fair traveler!

default two certainly isn't living up to the other definition of his name, as he is throwing codes at me like he has a sworn blood oath to do so!

The_Super_Inframan

"the journey to a thousand games ends with bad rats. ~Lao Tzu" ~Gabe Newell
That'd be nice and all, but if the third tier is unlocked then I'll be forced to pre-order the SE, haha.

Mmmhhh, I wonder which one I own :p

*checks two years old kickstarter mails*

Ah, just got an update email...

You though, are a Kickstarter backer, you were there from the beginning, and you’ve helped make this happen. Be assured, you’re getting all of this with your pledge, there is no additional purchase to even consider for you

Noice! :D

liezryou

How much do the people of PutinLand offer for it?

~7 Keys.

Ok morningbus i realize your doing it as a joke or whatever, but now it's getting annoying that you keep posting it. Take it to PMs please. Same reason we shifted modbot thanks and stuff to PMs. Nevermind the fact that your posts have nothing to do with steam whatsoever.

TheSeks

Blinded by the luminous glory that is David Bowie's physical manifestation.
Huh.

Gun Monkey give away from PC gamer gave me a guest/extra copy. Did it do that for anyone else?

Shadownet

Banned
~7 Keys.

Ok morningbus i realize your doing it as a joke or whatever, but now it's getting annoying that you keep posting it. Take it to PMs please. Same reason we shifted modbot thanks and stuff to PMs. Nevermind the fact that your posts have nothing to do with steam whatsoever.

Come on Liez. Don't be a party pooper. You might turn into what his name. The mod-wannabe.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom