• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

STEAM | July 2014-2 In his house at R'lyeh, dead Cthulhu waits dreaming

Status
Not open for further replies.

FloatOn

I specifically played offline with a downloaded 'patch' that allows me to play the game without all the DLC(which is what makes everything free in the store). Cant imagine playing DS2 for the story, but really, its worth looking into if you care about making the next 10-15 hours of playtime matter a bit more.

As I understand it the dead space franchise is not worth playing after the 2nd so I'm kind of curious how it all shakes out with mysterious space monoliths and shit. I already had the build yourself up from nothing experience in the first one so I really don't care about that here. I just want to blast through it. Too much to play.

And then there is the fact that I'm going to get legitimate play time from Last of Us soon I think I will have my survival horror needs covered for the next little bit.

Stallion Free

Cock Encumbered
When I buy games day 1 I usually drop everything to play them. Wolf, Sniper Elite, Murdered, Watch_Dog, Dark Souls 2, etc. all pretty much got the week of gaming time dedicated to them pretty much exclusively. That way I never feel burned.

I looked at the Yogscast website for about 5 minutes. I watched a bit of a video. It was nice how they all have cartoon faces that pop up so that I can identify which of them is talking. Why anyone would want to watch this shit is beyond me though.

JaseC

gave away the keys to the kingdom.
Since I began "collecting" I don't think I've pre-ordered a single game exclusively because I'd been wanting to play it. Wolf14 pre-orders will get the Doom beta, Watch Dogs had its pre-order fluff DLC, etc.

Beelzebubs

When I buy games day 1 I usually drop everything to play them. Wolf, Sniper Elite, Murdered, Watch_Dog, Dark Souls 2, etc. all pretty much got the week of gaming time dedicated to them pretty much exclusively. That way I never feel burned.

I looked at the Yogscast website for about 5 minutes. I watched a bit of a video. It was nice how they all have cartoon faces that pop up so that I can identify which of them is talking. Why anyone would want to watch this shit is beyond me though.

I only watch their Civ multiplayer videos, I'm a Civ nerd and it's pretty funny with a few beers.

RionaaM

Unconfirmed Member
Or you could be smart about it and only back games with developers that have proven track records or at least ones you know that actually have a budget that is reasonable to make the game they are promissing?
Of course, that's what I did with Distance, after loving Nitronic Rush and knowing those guys could make a good game. But I'm not going to support a site that basically says "If the game never happens, tough luck. We don't give a fuck."

wetflame

Pizza Dog
Since I began "collecting" I don't think I've pre-ordered a single game exclusively because I'd been wanting to play it. Wolf14 pre-orders will get the Doom beta, Watch Dogs had its pre-order fluff DLC, etc.

The Wolfenstein 14 I bought from GMG earlier said it was the pre-order version when I activated it, does that mean I'll end up with the Doom beta too?

Ozium

image.php

Dr Dogg

As I understand it the dead space franchise is not worth playing after the 2nd so I'm kind of curious how it all shakes out with mysterious space monoliths and shit. I already had the build yourself up from nothing experience in the first one so I really don't care about that here. I just want to blast through it. Too much to play.

And then there is the fact that I'm going to get legitimate play time from Last of Us soon I think I will have my survival horror needs covered for the next little bit.

For me I feel Dead Space 3 as a whole gets a bit of unfair hate. Yeah universal ammo and weapon crafting did gut most of the unique aspects of the game as did the loss of strategic dismemberment from the majority of the enemies but the first half still has a lot of magic about it that is what I've come to know and love about the series. The ship graveyard is one of the series highlights for me. It's when you get on to the planet where things fall apart for me. I wasn't too keen on co-op either but some folks like it.

There's bound to be some Origin Bundle keys still kicking around and I'd say it's worth a punt just to see why people don't get on with it.

That's pretty much it though. If you buy something you should buy to play and not collect or have for a rainy day. Thankfully I've stopped being such a muppet (well almost) and when I drop a large sum on a game it's because I intend to play that and nothing else.

Same as most YouTube sensations, kids love 'em!

Turfster

GetGamesGo is doing a Gothic franchise sale, 75% off

Yogscast was more than happy to throw its name all over the project to get it funded but is now disowning it completely.

There's even a section with the big bold header "Why are the Yogscast making a game?", with choice snippets like "Since we'll be helping to develop the game"

Arthea

Well if you played and enjoyed the game for a certain period of time before a discount there's nothing wrong with that. It's when you buy a game at a reasonable price only to never play it and then it gets discounted even further or buy one day at a higher price and it gets deep discounted the next that is more grating. End of the day that's a risk you take in the digital distro realm.

For example I bought Watch_Dogs at full price and then it gets discounted a month later, nothing major but still less than I paid. Was I peeved? No not really as despite it's technical shortcomings and utilisation problems I still played the game for 50 hours and enjoyed what I did. I wouldn't recommend it to anyone in the condition it's in let alone the price it is, discounted or otherwise.

The RAGE example though is something I wish I didn't do now as I've played no more than the first 3 missions of RAGE and could have made a better purchasing decision. Though as I said I've learnt my lesson albeit the hard way.

Though it has got me thinking of an idea. Realistically how long could I go not buying another game, either full price or on discount? Just playthrough what I have in my Steam library. I mean I got 800+ games on Steam and I've probably only finished 100+ and put any meaningful time into another 200+ before ditching them. That leaves around 400+ to go through and that should take a couple of years if I could abstain from my dirty purchasing ways.

I wonder how long I could keep this up and how many games I could finish before throwing in the towel and buying more?
I often think about it (+1400 games, finished about 100 too, I think), but it doesn't work that way, I still more often than not play games I bought at full price (or those I was anticipating for some time), than those I waited for good or better discount. It's just human habit, we want shiny new toys, even if we have two houses, two attics and two garages full of relatively new and old ones, no? (><)

If games weren't that affordable, it would be another matter. In spite our wishes, we still don't buy a new car every month, or even year, but if we could afford, we totally would do that too.

wetflame

Pizza Dog
Of course, that's what I did with Distance, after loving Nitronic Rush and knowing those guys could make a good game. But I'm not going to support a site that basically says "If the game never happens, tough luck. We don't give a fuck."

Why would they? They can't force people to finish games. What do you expect Kickstarter to do?

JaseC

The Wolfenstein 14 I bought from GMG earlier said it was the pre-order version when I activated it, does that mean I'll end up with the Doom beta too?

Yep. Apparently GMG forgot to empty its database of pre-order keys, haha.

I did finish Wolf14!

...on a mate's X1. Over the period of about 6 weeks (though to be fair this is because he was working 2 weeks on/1 week off).

Lomax

Or you could be smart about it and only back games with developers that have proven track records or at least ones you know that actually have a budget that is reasonable to make the game they are promissing?

While this is a good bit of advice, that means backing absolutely nothing, because virtually no games have a realistic budget on Kickstarter, the Skullgirls Indiegogo showed that quite clearly. The public at large is completely deluded about the cost it takes to make things. Even the Kickstarter games that have been finished have ended up over budget almost universally.

As for refunds, suing a bankrupt company will prove to be quite effective, I'm sure. If Kickstarter wants to keep these things from happening
(We all know they don't actually care, there's tons of examples)
then they need to require detailed cost breakdowns and expense projections instead of their "these are the risks" questionnaire. What's going to be a shame is if these video game debacles end up destroying Kickstarter, which has been a wonderful thing for many projects in many fields.

I just got to chapter 3 of the Witcher 2 and I was just thinking FUCKKKKK if this is 5 chapters like W1 then I'm going to be here for a while.

Then i read that it was only 3 chapters long. I'm both relieved and slightly disappointed. Game has been so damn good.

I just got to chapter 3 of the Witcher 2 and I was just thinking FUCKKKKK if this is 5 chapters like W1 then I'm going to be here for a while.

Then i read that it was only 3 chapters long. I'm both relieved and slightly disappointed. Game has been so damn good.

I'm really looking forward to picking it back up now that my GPU is finally working. Divinity:OS will have to wait a little longer.

Stallion Free

Cock Encumbered

3 chapters does feel like the right length for the plot.

FloatOn

For me I feel Dead Space 3 as a whole gets a bit of unfair hate. Yeah universal ammo and weapon crafting did gut most of the unique aspects of the game as did the loss of strategic dismemberment from the majority of the enemies but the first half still has a lot of magic about it that is what I've come to know and love about the series. The ship graveyard is one of the series highlights for me. It's when you get on to the planet where things fall apart for me. I wasn't too keen on co-op either but some folks like it.

There's bound to be some Origin Bundle keys still kicking around and I'd say it's worth a punt just to see why people don't get on with it.

I may give dead space 3 a go depending on whether or not I'm feeling it by the end of the 2nd. It is free on ps+ after all.

Dr Dogg

I often think about it (+1400 games, finished about 100 too, I think), but it doesn't work that way, I still more often than not play games I bought at full price (or those I was anticipating for some time), than those I waited for good or better discount. It's just human habit, we want shiny new toys, even if we have two houses, two attics and two garages full of relatively new and old ones, no? (><)

If games weren't that affordable, it would be another matter. In spite our wishes, we still don't buy a new car every month, or even year, but if we could afford, we totally would do that too.

Hahaha yeah I know what you're saying though no one is that silly (well unless they're loaded) to buy a car, a house on a whim regardless of price. But it's a perception thing and you see a product offered at a standard price but then it's heavy reduced and you are psychologically being affected. It's like the whole 'Only 99p!' thing. You have a price less than 100 and with the prefix of 'Only' trying to insist it's not as much as you think it should be. Of course people are more wise to this now but that's not to say it doesn't affect people. The whole 'Buy one get one free' and '3 for the price of 2' types of sales are next step of this as you perceive you are gaining more value because of the discount despite the fact you might not need and/or want the extra anyway. If I took up the local supermarkets offer of 3 loaves of bread for the price of two each week we'd be throwing away a loaf and a half or stockpiling them up in the freezer (and I hate doing anything other than toast with frozen and then defrosted bread).

I may give dead space 3 a go depending on whether or not I'm feeling it by the end of the 2nd. It is free on ps+ after all.

Ah yeah I forgot about that it was offer just recently. 2 is a bit more actiony than 1 which had more puzzles. 3 has some side missions that have you doing engineer stuff. You know because Isaac is an engineer after all.

JaseC

whenever I see you post in console threads, I get this very surreal feeling..
like.. JaseC in a console thread? :O

wait so do you have the PS4 and X1?

I have neither but I'd like to buy the PS4 eventually, once there are enough enticing exclusives (although TLOU Remastered is mighty intriguing). My PS3 kicked the bucket last January and I decided against replacing it since it was obvious the PS4 wasn't all that far away. I actually had one pre-ordered on Amazon; the order was cancelled but later reinstated with free express shipping once Amazon realised people were cluing on to the fact that it was cancelling international orders to make room for US ones. Ultimately, though, I cancelled the order myself to make more room for the Autumn Sale, but it's a decision I kindasorta regret as I was looking at ~AUD$420 as opposed to the AUD$550 price tag the system currently has here.

NEO0MJ

While this is a good bit of advice, that means backing absolutely nothing, because virtually no games have a realistic budget on Kickstarter, the Skullgirls Indiegogo showed that quite clearly. The public at large is completely deluded about the cost it takes to make things. Even the Kickstarter games that have been finished have ended up over budget almost universally.

Don't forget that the folk at Labzero were willing to work at minimum wage using the IGG money, other kickstarers might not be as willing.

Jadax

I have 3 feelings about this yogscast game thing:

1. I don't give a fuck. No idea who/what yogscast is, their HB was total shit, and apparently their kickstarter is shit too.

2. Why would anyone back a kickstart for something the headliners aren't handling themselves? (Or am I wrong, and they were actually helping with development?)

3. Kickstarter is starting to become a total dump. Have you seen some of the shit that people are backing?

I'm both sad for the backers and pissed off at them for backing such shit.

3 chapters does feel like the right length for the plot.

Yeah, it really does. The game doesn't really have much in the way of filler (W1 was loaded with filler bullshit) and I'm guessing that having it be this brisk makes it easier for me to replay the game later down the line and see the other possible branch the story takes. I guess i was so used to the slow pacing of the first game that I still felt like I was scratching the surface of W2. Now, it just feels like it'll be over too soon.

They flushed half a million dollars in less than half a year.
How do you even do that?

Hot Pockets. Lots and lots of them.

Rudakus

Not sure if this was mentioned but according to that subreddit it looks like even people who preordered the game are just getting the TUG key... I'd flip shit.

Lomax

How do you even do that?

Half a million dollars is nothing. That's 10 employees for a year. TEN.

Don't forget that the folk at Labzero were willing to work at minimum wage using the IGG money, other kickstarers might not be as willing.

Exactly. They were the one group willing to tell actual expenses that themselves were unrealistically low, and people still didn't believe it.

Arthea

So Many Me has such a good name, an instant buy game name, that's why I have to be strong and don't buy it.

although it worked nice with DMC, I must say, but still

NEO0MJ

Hah.
Blast from the past.

But seriously, how the hell?

Crack and whores.

More seriously, lets try to see how much has been spent monthly. If Amazon took $28.5k and the remaining half of the money was taken by Yogcast that means they had $270.5K to spend on developing the game. Oh, and apparently one of them decided to take $40k from that amount for himself because his card was "stolen" so they had $230.5K to work with. That's not much at all in the realm of 3D games.

Amzin

How do you even do that?

That's half a years salary for 20 people, if those people are paid less than the average for programmers. Half a million is insignificant unless you have a staff of like 3 people.

Turfster

That's half a years salary for 20 people, if those people are paid less than the average for programmers. Half a million is insignificant unless you have a staff of like 3 people.

It was a team of 6 people that did this in addition to their primary jobs, apparently, so...

There's much much more going around than just people's paychecks at a work place.
I know, I run my own business.
Still wouldn't know how to get anywhere near that in 6 months with 6 people, though, unless I bought a house with it or something =p

Edit: or the 250k after "expenses"

Trejik

They're mainly a kids friendly youtube let's play channel. Since there is such a huge market for those videos, especially from young people, they come off as friendly and kid-focused thanks to the child phenomenon that is Minecraft, the channels bread and butter.

That way, all the parents that don't want their kids watching Pewdiepie yelling profanity all day leave them to watch yogscast. With that niche in particular, I think they do a pretty good job, but as an adult I wouldn't watch it.

JaseC

3. Kickstarter is starting to become a total dump. Have you seen some of the shit that people are backing?

I'm both sad for the backers and pissed off at them for backing such shit.

No, but I've seen some of the salad. ;)

Lomax

Man, I obviously don't make enough, because even if there were 10 of me to be paid for a year, I still wouldn't get anywhere near half a million dollars =p

Double what you make, that's a reasonable estimate of what you actually are worth to your company. Obviously all this is a generalization, but the point is, people have no realistic perceptions of business costs.

I've been saying it forever, but the reality is, most Kickstarters are tiny in the grand scheme of things, even the "huge" ones like Wasteland 2. Wasteland has already made (and spent) more money from Early Access than they did from Kickstarter. Divinity spent five times as much money as the Kickstarter brought in. That's why the big companies don't do it and don't fear it. Kickstarter has been a wonderful thing, but it's a blip.

This Yogscast thing reminds me just how many of the major YouTube personalities started off doing World of Warcraft stuff. Who knew WoWRadio would have such a long lasting impact on the world.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom