• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

STEAM | July 2014-2 In his house at R'lyeh, dead Cthulhu waits dreaming

Status
Not open for further replies.

morningbus

Serious Sam is a wicked gahbidge series for chowdaheads.
If you're trying to save up for Witcher 3 or Alien Isolation though, this method wouldn't work. Or is there a way I'm not thinking of?

You could set up a junk card sale for the amount you need to transfer, which would give Valve another cut, but would consolidated the money.

Not that I'm saying you should do this.

Deitus

Yep, looks like tax info! I had no idea this was a thing.

I'm from the UK but live in the US!

OH JEEZ.

I really don't think it's anything to worry about. The IRS isn't going to come down on you for $20 worth of card sales. It's more an obligation on the part of Valve to ensure they are tracking these transactions beyond a certain point.

I am curious what information Valve expects you to provide them though.

From the Steam Market FAQ:

Will you be providing 1099’s based on my transactions in the Community Market?

The United States Internal Revenue Service requires us to report gross sales for, and provide IRS Form 1099’s to, only those subscribers who are U.S. citizens or residents and who exceed 200 sales transactions in a calendar year and also exceed $20,000 in gross sales proceeds from those sales transactions in that same calendar year, from all of that subscriber's accounts. If you are a U.S. citizen or resident and exceed both of these thresholds, we will report the amount of gross sales to the IRS and provide you with Form 1099.

Do I have to pay income taxes on the proceeds of sales I make in the Community Market?

Different countries have different rules relating to the taxation of digital transaction. For U.S. citizens and residents, as discussed above, we are obligated to collect certain taxpayer identifying information from those who engage in more than 200 transactions in a calendar year, but no information is reported to the U.S. Internal Revenue Service unless your gross revenues from such sales exceed $20,000. Ultimately, the responsibility for determining any income tax liabilities, if any, which you may have rests with you, and so if you are concerned about the issue you should consult your own tax advisor.

Mono

Oha, guess i should stop selling 0.03€ garbage that only nets me 0.01€ then. I'm probably also close to that threshold with all the Dota 2/CSGO Chests i have sold :(

Lesson learned! Looks like I'm done with the market until next year, but maybe I'll sell some foils if I get any by then!

Fuu

Formerly Alaluef (not Aladuf)
For those wondering, you still need to fill a form after you click the "I'm not in the USA" button. It asks for address info and your full name as a "digital signature" under this:

Under penalties of perjury, I declare that the payee providing this certification is not a United States citizen or resident of the United States as determined for U.S. federal tax purposes, that the income to which this certification relates is not effectively connected with the conduct of a trade or business in the United States, and that the undersigned has examined the information on this form and to the best of my knowledge and belief it is true, correct, and complete. Furthermore, I authorize this form to be provided to any person that has control, receipt, or custody of the payment to which I am entitled or any person that can disburse or make the payments to which I am entitled.

Haunted

Wow, CSD is really really good.

TIbOyfP.png
nice

I really don't think it's anything to worry about. The IRS isn't going to come down on you for $20 worth of card sales. It's more an obligation on the part of Valve to ensure they are tracking these transactions beyond a certain point.

I did the process, because I'm a non-U.S. resident. I provided a copy of my health card (front and back) along with an explanation of why I had to use a U.S. address (uncle's, who lived in New York). Did the process in a week, and it went very smoothly. They were very fast and responsive.

Yakkue

Lesson learned! Looks like I'm done with the market until next year, but maybe I'll sell some foils if I get any by then!

For U.S. citizens and residents, as discussed above, we are obligated to collect certain taxpayer identifying information from those who engage in more than 200 transactions in a calendar year, but no information is reported to the U.S. Internal Revenue Service unless your gross revenues from such sales exceed $20,000.
I doubt you're making that much money, but I understand when someone doesn't want Valve to store their SSN - I wouldn't be happy about that either.

Mono

From the Steam Market FAQ:

Yeah, seems like it's something Valve has to do.

Here's what it says:

Under Internal Revenue Code section 6050W, the U.S. Internal Revenue Service requires us to determine whether you are a U.S. citizen or resident alien before permitting you to sell more than 200 items in the community market in a single calendar year. If you are a U.S. citizen or resident alien, the IRS also requires us to collect your Social Security number or other Taxpayer Identification Number. Please note that we are not required to report this information or information about your sales to the IRS under section 6050W of the Internal Revenue Code unless you engage in more than 200 sales in a single calendar year AND the gross sales proceeds from those sales exceeds $20,000 in a single calendar year. For more information, you can view the Community Market FAQ here.

Oha, guess i should stop selling 0.03€ garbage that only nets me 0.01€ then. I'm probably also close to that threshold with all the Dota 2/CSGO Chests i have sold :(

Yea, same with TF2 crates... going straight to the trash! Action reels still worth a little bit though.

Lomax

Not to advocate tax fraud, but there's really nothing preventing you from creating additional accounts to mule cards to; 200 sales gives you at least $20, so even without cash transfer you could easily sell the cards, get the wallet money, and use it to gift yourself back games. *shrugs*

You'd have to buy a game on each of those accounts though and wait out the 30 day lockout.

Steam... :|

It's for tax reasons, it won't effect you if you sell less than 200 items AND less than $20,000 a year. They don't send the info to the IRS unless you pass both of those requirements.

Is there a limit on the number of transactions I can participate in in the Community Market?
Currently there is no limit on the number of transactions you can participate in. However, the United States Internal Revenue Service, under Section 6050W of the Internal Revenue Code, requires us to collect certain information from you if you engage in more than 200 separate sales transactions in a calendar year. In particular, if you are a U.S. citizen or resident, you will need to provide us with your name, address and Social Security Number, and if you are not a U.S. citizen or resident, you will need to provide evidence of your non-U.S. status on an online form we provide to you. We will be providing a link to these forms and a process by which you can provide the needed information if and as you approach the 200 sales limit. We may use a third-party to collect this information. You can choose not to provide this information if you wish, but you will not be able to list any items for sale in the Community Market once you meet the 200 sales threshold, and any items listed will be removed. Note that, while we are required to collect this information from you, we are not required to share this information with the IRS under Section 6050W unless you exceed $20,000 in gross sales in the Community Market within a single calendar year. For purposes of calculating the number of sales you have made in a calendar year, all of your accounts will be treated as a single account.
And:
Will you be providing 1099’s based on my transactions in the Community Market?
The United States Internal Revenue Service requires us to report gross sales for, and provide IRS Form 1099’s to, only those subscribers who are U.S. citizens or residents and who exceed 200 sales transactions in a calendar year and also exceed $20,000 in gross sales proceeds from those sales transactions in that same calendar year, from all of that subscriber's accounts. If you are a U.S. citizen or resident and exceed both of these thresholds, we will report the amount of gross sales to the IRS and provide you with Form 1099.
Read the full FAQ here[1] .

d4JGOWv.png

When we are playing: Estimate Time
t1405726200z4.png

Information said:
What is this?:
NeoGAF Games Night is a designated time where gaffers can play games together. This is a casual enviornment, players from all skill levels are welcome! Join the NeoGAF Games Night group to receive a notification through steam when an event has been scheduled and when it starts. PM anyone in the group for an invite.

What we are playing:
We will be playing versus mode 4v4.

How to join us:
Add me as a friend on steam and in the main menu of Left 4 Dead 2 go to the versus mode and look for games with a friend to join the lobby. If you cannot find it or the game is full, PM me and I will invite you when there is room.

Come join us and have fun!

Grief.exe

So, I absolutely loved Wolf ANO. Are any of the other Wolfenstein games worthwhile / still stand up?

Return to Castle Wolfenstein is about 10 years old now, but is still a pretty solid single player experience.

Still on Steam and can be had for cheap. I haven't had a chance to replay it yet.

Dongs Macabre

aka Daedalos42
I decided to get the simulators bundle after seeing GAF praise Cook, Serve, Delicious. I already have Universe Sandbox, so I'm giving it away!

ModBot said:
Instructions for Daedalos42:
Press the quote button to the left of this PM, select the quoted text, copy, and paste in the thread. You can remove these lines from the version you paste.

Instructions for participants:
I am giving away a Steam key. To enter this giveaway, send a PM to ModBot with any subject line. In the body, copy and paste the entire line from the message below containing the game you want to enter for.

ModBot Basics:
- I really appreciate thank you messages, but please send them to me (Daedalos42, not ModBot!) via PM instead of in thread.
- Do not trade keys you win off-site to enrich yourself. Don't try to claim games you have no interest in collecting or playing. Don't claim games to give them to friends off-site.
- If the key is already taken you will not receive a reply. Replies may take a minute or two.

Rules for this Giveaway:
- This giveaway is a LIGHTNING raffle. The winners will be selected by random draw 15 minutes after the draw was created. Any games not claimed after that point will be given away first come first serve.

Universe Sandbox -- MB-5A8D89DDBA4F3738 - Taken by DarkMehm. 1 entrants total.

t1405707850z1.png

Copons

make sure to avoid giant seashells too

just a suggestion

BAM super ancient quote

OMFG I went down in some cave and suddenly there is this MOTHERFUCKING HUGE SPIDER THAT WANTS TO KILL ME I DUNNO but I GUESS it was a spider coming out a seashell? PROBABLY?
I killed him so fast I honestly don't know, he tried to spawn some spidery thingies but I was really too fast / clicking randomly with eyes closed, I... I... shit...

WTF, I wonder what happened that at some point giant spiders were the standard enemies in any fantasy/scifi/whatever setting.
Is this Tolkien's fault? Damned be South Africa and all their vuvuzelas.

Teppic

I filled the form. I got more than 200 items sold in January or something. But I'm also not living in the US, so I don't know how it will affect people over there.

When I finished Gone Home I was questioning the story more than anything.

why did the sister not finish high school? Damn girl could have picked up her SO and then drove back to the house. She finishes high school the other girl gets a local job. I know times were different for LGBT back then but nothing in the story presented made it seem like there was that big of a problem family side/in town.

(Gone Home spoilers)

There was a tv guide clipping laying around somewhere for an episode of Inside Edition about a camp to send adolescents to "overcome deviant behavior and homosexuality." And there was also an audio log about how Sam's parents reacted when she told them, basically they said it was just a phase and she felt like they weren't respecting her enough to believe her. Also all of it seemed to go back to the fact that their father was molested by his uncle Oscar (guy who left them the house in his will) and the impact that had on his life (his obsession with writing about going back in time to 1963 to save JFK, and finally the book he writes for the new publisher about his character going back in time to save himself)

This is going to be random but anyone actually enjoy the Ducktales remake? I'm wondering if i should get it on the next sale but i just remember people being kinda meh about it on release.

(Gone Home spoilers)

There was a tv guide clipping laying around somewhere for an episode of Inside Edition about a camp to send adolescents to "overcome deviant behavior and homosexuality." And there was also an audio log about how Sam's parents reacted when she told them, basically they said it was just a phase and she felt like they weren't respecting her enough to believe her. Also all of it seemed to go back to the fact that their father was molested by his uncle Oscar (guy who left them the house in his will) and the impact that had on his life (his obsession with writing about going back in time to 1963 to save JFK, and finally the book he writes for the new publisher about his character going back in time to save himself)

wait, i totally missed the
part about the molestation
. Where did you find that info?

Amzin

Because if you wanted to freak the fuck out of people playing your game, what better way than giant spiders?

I used to be freaked out by almost all insects, and spiders, but I made myself take an entomology class in college and it helped a ton. If it was a real phobia it probably wouldn't have, but now I recommend it to everyone who complains about insects blindly :p

Now spiders in games are just usually underwhelming. They never seem as strong as other creature types. Bears though, bears are always rough. People should be freaked out by bears!

Copons

Because if you wanted to freak the fuck out of people playing your game, what better way than giant spiders?

Giant kittens for example would freak the fuck out of me.
Kittens are devious creatures, and also extremely dangerous, especially if they're huge.

aku:jiki

This is going to be random but anyone actually enjoy the Ducktales remake? I'm wondering if i should get it on the next sale but i just remember people being kinda meh about it on release.
Yes, it's great DuckTales fanservice. It even has the voices!

The artstyle is a little crap with the mix of low-poly environments and high-res 2D art sprites, but you get over it pretty much right away.

Tellaerin

They really need to source Saoirse or Taylor Swift to do one of the female voices in Saints Row. It would just... it would just be right.

It'd be nice if they could get a few female celebs to do voiceovers. Going with people who I think would have fun with it (and keeping things diverse, so the female voices don't all sound too similar), I'd go with Olivia (aside from having a great voice and delivery, I can imagine her having a ball with it), Saoirse (for JaseC if nothing else, though I think hearing her really crank up the Irish accent and slang as a female Irish gangster would be amazing), and Aisha Tyler (for reasons too numerous to name).
Of the three, the only one I can realistically imagine doing voices for SR would be Aisha Tyler, but I'd be happy with that.

lashman

Steam-GAF's Official Ambassador to Gaming-GAF
here you go, guys ... that's the least I can do for you all :)

ModBot said:
Instructions for participants:
I am giving away 12 Steam keys. To enter this giveaway, send a PM to ModBot with any subject line. In the body, copy and paste the entire line from the message below that corresponds to the game you want. (if you include more than one game, you will be blocked from entering).

ModBot Basics:
- I really appreciate thank you messages, but please send them to me (lashman, not ModBot!) via PM instead of in thread.
- Do not trade keys you win off-site to enrich yourself. Don't try to claim games you have no interest in collecting or playing. Don't claim games to give them to friends off-site.

- If the key is already taken you will not receive a reply. Replies may take a minute or two.

Rules for this Giveaway:
- If you are a lurker you are not eligible for this giveaway. You need five or more posts in either the current Steam thread or the previous one to be eligible
- This giveaway is a LIGHTNING raffle. The winners will be selected by random draw 15 minutes after the draw was created. Any games not claimed after that point will be given away first come first serve.

Out of the Park Baseball 14 -- MB-1F9B56275F9A0F0F - Taken by darkchewie. 1 entrants total.
Out of the Park Baseball 14 #2 -- MB-04D201C811261913 - Taken by Rhaknar. 2 entrants total.
Out of the Park Baseball 14 #3 -- MB-788CF5B6E15EE3F4 - Taken by dave is ok. 2 entrants total.
Universe Sandbox -- MB-6787457DB08C3CFD
Universe Sandbox #2 -- MB-CF2696414842BCEC - Taken by FauX. 1 entrants total.
Universe Sandbox #3 -- MB-CF27E3C3A1779080 - Taken by Sammichu. 2 entrants total.
Universe Sandbox #4 -- MB-84CF3D4AD0AA97D6
Cook, Serve, Delicious! -- MB-493644F99CF3859D - Taken by Sharkiller. 2 entrants total.
Cook, Serve, Delicious! #2 -- MB-CAD1DA9281E95915 - Taken by freshVeggie. 6 entrants total.
Cook, Serve, Delicious! #3 -- MB-3AD2E6556D066EC7 - Taken by Deitus. 3 entrants total.
Cook, Serve, Delicious! #4 -- MB-73C0EEC8CEAB219E - Taken by The Dear Leader. 1 entrants total.
Tropico 4: Steam Special Edition -- MB-2ABF768508C44D25 - Taken by KevMan1815. 9 entrants total.

t1405708270z1.png

Fuu

Formerly Alaluef (not Aladuf)
I enjoyed Prototype 1 well enough, but I'd been waiting for a decent sale on Prototype 2, which hadn't happened until now. $5 is pretty tempting.
Same here, had quite a bit of fun with the first one on the 360. It was a bit of a shit game as far as polish goes but it was fun enough and the traversal was so good, it was always a great time to just run and jump/float around.

Copons

I used to be freaked out by almost all insects, and spiders, but I made myself take an entomology class in college and it helped a ton. If it was a real phobia it probably wouldn't have, but now I recommend it to everyone who complains about insects blindly :p

Now spiders in games are just usually underwhelming. They never seem as strong as other creature types. Bears though, bears are always rough. People should be freaked out by bears!

But but but but I seldom find bears roaming around my house, or hanging down from ceiling corners.
And even if, I would find it sort of weird more than scary.

Lomax

WTF, I wonder what happened that at some point giant spiders were the standard enemies in any fantasy/scifi/whatever setting.
Is this Tolkien's fault? Damned be South Africa and all their vuvuzelas.

Humans have an inherent propensity to be more likely to be afraid of spiders and snakes, thus giant versions are an easy scare.

Amzin

Giant kittens for example would freak the fuck out of me.
Kittens are devious creatures, and also extremely dangerous, especially if they're huge.

Actually, I have a problem with dogs / wolves in games. Not their existence, but having to kill them? Worst thing I have to do in any game, always.

Stumpokapow

listen to the mad man
You'd have to buy a game on each of those accounts though and wait out the 30 day lockout.

Well, the former is as simple as buying a single $1 indie bundle and piecemealing the games from account to account, and the latter is actually 14 days (according to my experimentation with making a steam trading offers bot recently)

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom