• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

STEAM | July 2014-2 In his house at R'lyeh, dead Cthulhu waits dreaming

Status
Not open for further replies.

Grief.exe

I own a PC so I don't really care about my ps4, but it's really good, like really really good if it clicks for you which it did for me. If the final game is as consistent as the Alpha/Beta likely the best FPS of the last few years. Pretty sure the Alpha thread impressions were 90%+ positive after the poll.

That's a tall statement considering quality FPS games have seen a resurgence as of late.

Yes, it's good. The second question is a bit weird though...

If it's a game they like, what's wrong with justifying the purchase?

Many people find it difficult to separate their opinions from their need to justify money they have spent. The issues compounds itself as the dollar amount grows higher.

You often see it when people have spent a great deal of money on what many would consider an objectively sub-par product, Alienware, headsets, Beats, etc.

Vibranium

Banned
Doctor Who lore is great.

The expanded universe is super cool even with stupid stuff like one novel suggesting Time Lords get "loomed" (almost as bad as midichlorians), though thankfully the show has disregarded that and confirmed the Doctor was born like a normal human.
I'm just getting into the Big Finish audios, they are fantastic to explore the lore and do crazy stuff that the show doesn't have the budget to do.

Hopefully we get a fantastic DW game at some point, whether we play a companion or one of his incarnations (being the 8th Doctor with Paul McGann voice acting would be sweet).

There are gamers who will "intenstify" their like/love of a game because they can use it to make them feel better about early adoption of the platform. Think about it, you've seen these gamers before, I'm sure.

I've seen far more people do it in the steam thread with shit games they over paid for.

Jawmuncher

StreamGAF, haaha, do I qualify for that since I stream but nobody watches? ;)

Question for you... I asked Rhaknar if he thought it 'felt like Halo" and he said he wasn't qualified to make that call.

So how much "Halo" is in it?
I've got that it's Borderlands in space with more loot than just weapons/guns, but I'm still not sure if the gunplay feels like a "Halo" game since Bungie developed it and all.

The gunplay to me really feels like halo aside from the inclusion of iron sights. Granted the game itself is pretty different from halo. But the feeling is definitely there for the gunplay.

Is StreamGAF even a thing? That would be interesting.

Grief.exe

The gunplay to me really feels like halo aside from the inclusion of iron sights. Even with the health bars on enemies. Granted it has numerous changes to the formula from that of halo. But the feeling is definitely there for the gunplay.

In the reveal gameplay Bungie showed it almost seemed like ironsights were completely optional. IE you weren't punished for movement while shooting.

Is this the case?

Yeah, but do they really like those games or are they doing what you say to justify their purchase?

I hope you don't think I'm one of those gamers. :p
Depends, do you think Murdered is a good game?

Same difference, since it's a 60$/€ game ;)
From what I can tell a surprising amount of people actually buy games through the store and not gmg/traders/so on
Is it possible to overpay on steam?? So many sales!

People using terrible traders or actually going through steam :p

I really like Halo and didn't get that vibe from the alpha of Destiny. Seemed more like Borderlands but without horrible internet humor. Hard to judge how the loot stuff works.

alr1ght

bish gets all the credit :)
Destiny feels more like Borderlands than Halo. More emphasis on ADS than circle strafing and hip firing. It feels okay, but generic.

Sofa King

I've been enjoying it. A nice mix of Halo/Borderlands with some light MMO elements.
It's definitely something I'd easily buy on PC to play with StreamGAF.

I've watched some streams and it seems repetitive, but I'm waiting for my turn on the XBO to see what I think. I've always liked Bungie games and Borderlands so it seems natural for me but we'll see soon enough how it feels.

rtcn63

The expanded universe is super cool even with stupid stuff like one novel suggesting Time Lords get "loomed" (almost as bad as midichlorians), though thankfully the show has disregarded that and confirmed the Doctor was born like a normal human.

Ah yes, the Cartmel Masterplan. Some of the elements were adopted in the sister universe, not all bad. http://tardis.wikia.com/wiki/Cartmel_Masterplan

Funny tidbit- in the Doctor Who movie (which can still be found on youtube), the Eighth Doctor notes that he's half-human on his mother's side. This was one of those things that fandom debated until it was pretty much ignored in the 2005 reboot. But, an homage to the half-human Doctor still lives on as Grandfather Halfling, a mixed-race person of vague appearance, who is known for traveling with a human companion and for campaigning for the rights of part-humans.

Jawmuncher

In the reveal gameplay Bungie showed it almost seemed like ironsights were completely optional. IE you weren't punished for movement while shooting.

Is this the case?

Yes.
I've hardly been using iron sights at all while playing. It honestly feels more like the Iron Sights were put in just to quell the arguments that still arise from halos lack of them when it comes to the cod crowd.

Anustart

This probably should go in the stupid gaming questions topic but I'll put it here. Around the time of last Gen launch some friends of mine were playing some shooter, and if I remember correctly your gun wasn't shown on screen, just a circular reticule. Anyone know what game it could have been? For some reason I want to think it was a tom Clancy game. The lack of on screen gun really bothered me.

Speevy

Banned
Hey guys, I have this stupid game in my inventory and I need you to GET IT AWAY.

ModBot said:
Instructions for Speevy:

Instructions for participants:
I am giving away a Steam key. To enter this giveaway, send a PM to ModBot with any subject line. In the body, copy and paste the entire line from the message below containing the game you want to enter for.

ModBot Basics:
- I really appreciate thank you messages, but please send them to me (Speevy, not ModBot!) via PM instead of in thread.
- Do not trade keys you win off-site to enrich yourself. Don't try to claim games you have no interest in collecting or playing. Don't claim games to give them to friends off-site.
- If the key is already taken you will not receive a reply. Replies may take a minute or two.

Rules for this Giveaway:
- This giveaway is a raffle. The winners will be selected by random draw 3 hours after the draw was created. Any games not claimed after that point will be given away first come first serve.

t1cxE6r.gif
Wolfenstein: The New Order -- MB-F01FAC60398C322F - Taken by 2n2. 125 entrants total.

t1405754357z1.png

Jawmuncher

This probably should go in the stupid gaming questions topic but I'll put it here. Around the time of last Gen launch some friends of mine were playing some shooter, and if I remember correctly your gun wasn't shown on screen, just a circular reticule. Anyone know what game it could have been? For some reason I want to think it was a tom Clancy game. The lack of on screen gun really bothered me.

I know the original Ghost Recon games had no weapons on screen, but that was PS2 era.

I believe you could go into a first person view mode in Advanced Warfighter that was similar to the original games though.

Depends, do you think Murdered is a good game?

I really like Halo and didn't get that vibe from the alpha of Destiny. Seemed more like Borderlands but without horrible internet humor. Hard to judge how the loot stuff works.

Don't know yet. Haven't played it, but I do own it. Cost me... well, depending on which price for an AMD gold ticket we count, less than $10. It's probably okay for what I paid for it, but I don't think I'll end up telling you it's GOTY because I need to justify my $10.

See, I like your description of Destiny. Comparisons to anything Halo immediately make me lose interest.

You're short one syllable in the first line. I will not forgive you until you fix this error.

Fixed. Please update your quote to remove my shame before I commit sudoku.

The gunplay to me really feels like halo aside from the inclusion of iron sights. Granted the game itself is pretty different from halo. But the feeling is definitely there for the gunplay.

Hahaha, it can be if you want it to be. I would certainly be a member, as I said.
And your Destiny impressions conflict with Richochet's... dammit, I'm going to hope there's a PC beta when it comes to Steam.

Hey guys, I have this stupid game in my inventory and I need you to GET IT AWAY.

OMGWTFASAPBBQPLOX?!

Soon, people wearing the S on their chests might be saying "S is for Speevy, motherfucker. Screw that Clark Kent chump."

I know the original Ghost Recon games had no weapons on screen, but that was PS2 era.

Sounds about right... for some reason Perfect Dark Zero came to mind though I've never actually played it.

tylerf

Stuck working night shift and I forgot to download Divinity to my laptop before I left. It would probably take the entire shift to download it with the crappy wifi here :(

Grief.exe

Yes.
I've hardly been using iron sights at all while playing. It honestly feels more like the Iron Sights were put in just to quell the arguments that still arise from halos lack of them when it comes to the cod crowd.

The crutch is there if you need it.

Sounds about right... for some reason Perfect Dark Zero came to mind though I've never actually played it.

That was the first thing I thought of as well. Don't remember brought about the title to be able to justify the thought.

Jawmuncher

Hmmm. I'll play a little more.
But it seems even the DestinyGAF can be at odds. Perhaps it's just a middle ground that's more easily accessible to different shooter types. I felt right at home play Destiny having played primarily just halo as my main FPS. For example something like COD for me always takes some adjusting.

Cheddahz

Banned
I've been playing the Destiny beta (on the PS3) and I've really been enjoying it so far. It's like Borderlands without the Family Guy humor in it

taco543

heres some stuff thats actually games, thats actaully codes, that you use to redeem, that you then download, that you then play:
ModBot said:
Instructions for taco543:
Press the quote button to the left of this PM, select the quoted text, copy, and paste in the thread. You can remove these lines from the version you paste.

Instructions for participants:
I am giving away 5 Steam keys. To enter this giveaway, send a PM to ModBot with any subject line. In the body, copy and paste the entire line from the message below that corresponds to the game you want. (if you include more than one game, you will be blocked from entering).

ModBot Basics:
- I really appreciate thank you messages, but please send them to me (taco543, not ModBot!) via PM instead of in thread.
- Do not trade keys you win off-site to enrich yourself. Don't try to claim games you have no interest in collecting or playing. Don't claim games to give them to friends off-site.
- If the key is already taken you will not receive a reply. Replies may take a minute or two.

ulgzbKC.png
Pressured (desura) -- MB-F323E130B9DE85F2
ulgzbKC.png
CAFE 0 ~The Drowned Mermaid~ DELUXE (desura) -- MB-D81DEA44D42BE6DF
Sweet Lily Dreams -- MB-350F4D85226AB073 - Taken by Speevy
ulgzbKC.png
Ice Cream Surfer (desura) -- MB-6728632165953D9F - Taken by Kuroyume
ulgzbKC.png
Combat Cats (desura) -- MB-5B768D118E8C1AAA - Taken by Darth Kupi

zkylon

zkylewd
yea i've beaten abyss odyssey thrice now with naked lady and i have definitely gotten to enjoy it. all three characters are kinda cool, i've been running naked lady to get the playfire achievement but i found them all to be pretty fun. game's pretty cool, finally learning how to cancel changed my perspective of the game for the much better and i'm really enjoying it

now i just want loads of content for it. i'm really curious about this staggered release thing based on community progress or whatever but it sure leaves me wanting more

i'm a bit scared to try nightmare mode. i haven't really completely died (like no soldier respawn) more than once or twice but i'm always pretty short on health items and money

Ok then! :)

I was actually laughing hard for the fact that
when you descend into the cave and discover the dragon skeletons, the heroes are all "OMFG we're gonna fight this huge beast who killed a dragon!" and shortly after "Oh no wait, TWO dragons lol", and then suddenly it's a motherfucking huge spider, actually called Source NIGHTMARE lol fuck fantasy I hate it :'(

So apparently I fear spiders more than you. AH! Good
bad :'(
to know!
that's prolly not necessarily right but there are kinds that don't do much for me

it has to do with hair and color and movement and context and angle and stuff

this one isn't pleasant to see at all but it looks kinda silly so it's alright

my problem with spiders isn't necessarily spiders themselves but all the paranoia and false alarms and everything around em. like if i'm watching a movie and i see people go into a cave or a dungeon or a basement or see a cobweb or a weird shadow on the corner of my eye or something i go into "defense mode" and get freaked out real easily. it's like my head assumes everything that isn't clearly defined as not being a spider and says "it's a spider".

so yea i think i'm still pretty bad :p

morningbus

Serious Sam is a wicked gahbidge series for chowdaheads.
LEVEL 5 REACHED.
ibkzZuTfBarnUO.gif

90 from Jawmuncher
54 from Toki767
42 from Morningbus
36 from Anustart
30 from default two
24 from Mono
24 from Mokoi
18 from iosefe
18 from BinaryPork2737
18 from Pickles Spill
12 from CorrosiveFrost
18 from dot
12 from Cloudius12
12 from Cheddahz
6 from Armoured Priest
6 from Amzin
6 from Gunstarheroes
6 from tiny raptor
6 from Chocobro
6 from thesaucetastic
6 from Stallion Free
6 from Xclash

... Current Total: $456.

Which means we're 6 codes away from me having to play the Serious Sam games.

Thanks as always to the people who contributed codes since the last update:

Hey guys, did you know that Jawmuncher is more cellphone than man? Because he contributed a total of 5 codes this round. 5. People, fucking 5 god damn codes. God damn.

Pickles Spill leaked two more codes all over the place. Thankfully, I'm also all over the place and snatched them up.

Toki767 contributed another 2 codes, showing me up and joining the exclusive club of people who have paid more of my cable bill than me.

1 more code was de fault of default two! I still got the joke magic!

Anustart contributed another 3 codes and is really pushing the limits of how tasteful I can make his anecdote.

And, last but not least, dot can now star in a low-budget remake of the Michael Keaton comedy Multiplicity, as he has copied himself copying himself, contributing another code for a total of three. Someone with better photoshop skills: get to work.

Edit:

Cheddahz gets that chedda, whateva by contributing another code!

Thanks to an anonymous benefactor, I am giving away a Steam key. To enter this giveaway, send a PM to ModBot with any subject line. In the body, copy and paste the entire line from the message below containing the game you want to enter for.

ModBot Basics:

Rules for this Giveaway:
- This giveaway is a raffle. The winners will be selected by random draw 3 hours after the draw was created. Any games not claimed after that point will be given away first come first serve.

Quakecon Bundle 2014 -- MB-67D4E04BD9AFCDB5 - Taken by bobnowhere. 137 entrants total.
Sub Zero is a shifty fucker

t1405744695z1.png

Holy sheet! Thank you oh mighty anonymous one, even though I now know who you are and will thank you personally!

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom