• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

STEAM | July 2014-2 In his house at R'lyeh, dead Cthulhu waits dreaming

Status
Not open for further replies.

Anustart

Question for stump, was my entry in that quakecon giveaway valid? I ask because I've never won a giveaway when I enter from my phone. Wondering if its bad luck or something goes awry when I do it mobile.

Grief.exe

because of that now i have 2 dollars in credit useless in my accoun :(
a coupon is a lot better.

Use the coupon for the higher value items, then the percent off will be higher. Use the credit for when games are cheaper, 20% coupon is not going to do much to a game that is <$5.

Sharkiller

Use the coupon for the higher value items, then the percent off will be higher. Use the credit for when games are cheaper, 20% coupon is not going to do much to a game that is <$5.
yeah i know but i dont usually buy cheap games in gmg. i use them for cheap preorders or new games.
for cheap games i wait for big steam sales.

Well, after seeing so many positive comments and watching a bit of a Giantbomb video, I pulled the trigger on Divinity:OS. Looking forward to booting it up!

BinaryPork2737

Unconfirmed Member
I'm not shocked that GMG has finally disallowed credit with coupons entirely, but I assumed the compromise of it working with -20% codes exclusively would last longer than it did.

Yeah, I was disappointed when I tried to apply the code to Unrest and found that it wouldn't accept store credit combined with the voucher. It's a shame, but nothing can really be done about it.

Speaking of GMG related things, I still haven't got a Steam key for Millennium 2 yet. It's been over a week now. I'll have to send an email to the dev if the key's not available in the next few days.

Here's the latest addition to the July Indie Gala bundle. Take it if you want it.

ModBot said:
Instructions for participants:
I am giving away a Steam key. To enter this giveaway, send a PM to ModBot with any subject line. In the body, copy and paste the entire line from the message below containing the game you want to enter for.

ModBot Basics:
- I really appreciate thank you messages, but please send them to me (BinaryPork2737, not ModBot!) via PM instead of in thread.
- Do not trade keys you win off-site to enrich yourself. Don't try to claim games you have no interest in collecting or playing. Don't claim games to give them to friends off-site.
- If the key is already taken you will not receive a reply. Replies may take a minute or two.

Rules for this Giveaway:
- If you are a lurker you are not eligible for this giveaway. You need five or more posts in either the current Steam thread or the previous one to be eligible
- This giveaway is a LIGHTNING raffle. The winners will be selected by random draw 15 minutes after the draw was created. Any games not claimed after that point will be given away first come first serve.

God Mode -- MB-9E6B7A015BFB817F - Taken by PossumMeat. 6 entrants total.

t1405741276z1.png

It's a shame that people abused the system! :( I can't really think of a better way they could do rewards, though. If they just counted by playtime, people would just idle.

I think the problem, if I was making suggestions, was that they allowed too many people into the "Beta". This made it hard to track EVERYONE for abuse while they were still trying to iron out the kinks in tracking and make everyone happy by investigating missing rewards. If they had used the Beta to deploy checks to flag people for abuse -- and maybe even asked things of Beta participants in regards to testing -- the likelihood of having a mass of cheaters amass hundreds of dollars in credit (and then combining that with vouchers) would have been much less, I think.

But it's said and done now... at least the program exists... and maybe as they weed out those who abuse it, they will eventually return to the previous level of rewards.

Hanzou

Seems like it'd be an easy way to get yourself into megagiver giveaways. I doubt anyone here would do that though and I guess there could be something appealing to giving yourself the same chance to win a game you are giving away as everyone else has
This doesn't make sense to me. Just because you can enter your own giveaways doesn't mean you are going to win. The odds are still extremely low.

If you don't post the giveaway code in a thread you would win with certainty.

Yeah, but if Stump noticed it while working on modbot, that's probably a banning.
DetectiveGAF might actually notice that the winner is someone they don't recall giving away any games either.

rtcn63

While we're on about old things, there are a lot of Lovecraftian elements/references in Doctor Who. For example, the Yssgaroth, which are effectively giant vampires that entered into our universe when the Time Lords manufactured a black hole at the beginning of time (or something). The Time Lords and the Yssgaroth would go to war, the former attaching giant spikes (stakes) to their Tardises, and both sides starting at opposite sides of the battlefield, then ending up in the center. The Time Lords would win, with the head engineer telling Rassilion that the Yssgaroth were likely servants of an even greater power, sent in as scouts.

While we're on about old things, there are a lot of Lovecraftian elements/references in Doctor Who. For example, the Yssgaroth, which are effectively giant vampires that entered into our universe when the Time Lords manufactured a black hole at the beginning of time (or something). The Time Lords and the Yssgaroth would go to war, the former attaching giant spikes (stakes) to their Tardises, and both sides starting at opposite sides of the battlefield, then ending up in the center. The Time Lords would win, with the head engineer telling Rassilion that the Yssgaroth were likely servants of any even greater power, sent in as scouts.

I understood absolutely none of this. ?_?

taco543

its not much today but here you guys go:

ModBot said:
Instructions for taco543:
Press the quote button to the left of this PM, select the quoted text, copy, and paste in the thread. You can remove these lines from the version you paste.

I am giving away a Steam key. To enter this giveaway, send a PM to ModBot with any subject line. In the body, copy and paste the entire line from the message below containing the game you want to enter for.

ModBot Basics:
- I really appreciate thank you messages, but please send them to me (taco543, not ModBot!) via PM instead of in thread.
- Do not trade keys you win off-site to enrich yourself. Don't try to claim games you have no interest in collecting or playing. Don't claim games to give them to friends off-site.
- If the key is already taken you will not receive a reply. Replies may take a minute or two.

A virus named tom -- MB-7DE649720CF1F74F - Taken by Sofa King

Yakkue

Yeah, but if Stump noticed it while working on modbot, that's probably a banning.
DetectiveGAF might actually notice that the winner is someone they don't recall giving away any games either.

I wasn't advocating doing that, by the way, just explaining how it would be possible :)

While we're on about old things, there are a lot of Lovecraftian elements/references in Doctor Who. For example, the Yssgaroth, which are effectively giant vampires that entered into our universe when the Time Lords manufactured a black hole at the beginning of time (or something). The Time Lords and the Yssgaroth would go to war, the former attaching giant spikes (stakes) to their Tardises, and both sides starting at opposite sides of the battlefield, then ending up in the center. The Time Lords would win, with the head engineer telling Rassilion that the Yssgaroth were likely servants of any even greater power, sent in as scouts.
I think the eight doctor even spoke about knowing Lovecraft personally.

Turfster

Doctor Who lore is great.

Last time I push this before I head to sleep, good night!

It might be a bit unusual for a Steam thread but I wanted to give back atleast a little something to the awesome people here so I threw a spare Destiny EU PS4 Beta Key into ModBot :) Also a thanks to Stumpokapow too! I PMed him/her beforehand to ask if this giveaway was okay.

ModBot said:
I am giving away a PSN key. To enter this giveaway, send a PM to ModBot with any subject line. In the body, copy and paste the entire line from the message below containing the game you want to enter for.

ModBot Basics:
- I really appreciate thank you messages, but please send them to me (Skyfireblaze, not ModBot!) via PM instead of in thread.

Rules for this Giveaway:
- If you are a lurker you are not eligible for this giveaway. You need five or more posts in either the current Steam thread or the previous one to be eligible
- This giveaway is a raffle. The winners will be selected by random draw 3 hours after the draw was created. Any games not claimed after that point will be given away first come first serve.

u0if8OB.png

Destiny EU PS4 Beta -- MB-B83C6A081CDA57D0 - Taken by Spring-Loaded. 2 entrants total.

t1405748536z1.png

City 17

The character in the trailer has two eyes, so yeah, probably new.
Although, I suspect that the old MC didn't really lose his eye when the ocular was removed.
Besides, old MC probably didn't want to be involved in the conflict any more than he had to be, so maybe he settled down now that he has a ship and Patty?

Could be but same thing could be said after the events of Risen 1
, where the MC was drinking... but the problem was that the Titans and monsters kept coming back, although later in the game finding Captain Steelbeard, his tressure and getting his revenge from Mara became the objective

rtcn63

Doctor Who lore is great.

Are you familiar with Faction Paradox? The universe is an effective continuation of the "War in Heaven" arc in the Eighth Doctor books. It has things like
The Master returning to Gallifrey, taking on the role of the War King; the adaptation and breeding of humanoid time ships (Tardises); the discovery of the City of the Saved, a galaxy-sized structure that consists of every human throughout time (Heaven, more or less); Post-humanity, governed by hedonistic blood coteries akin to that of the Medicis and Borgias; and of course, an Enemy that rivals the Time Lords, with numerous possible origins, and first encountered at the *end* of the universe.

Caerith

could someone explain the new thread title?
ModBot fhtagn.

Could be but same thing could be said after the events of Risen 1
, where the MC was drinking... but the problem was that the Titans and monsters kept coming back, although later in the game finding Captain Steelbeard, his tressure and getting his revenge from Mara became the objective
True, but he wasn't really in a position to refuse then
since he was working with the Inquisition.
I suppose it depends on his motivation, but it would be nice to see him return.

Turfster

Are you familiar with Faction Paradox? The universe is an effective continuation of the "War in Heaven" arc in the Eighth Doctor books.

Hm, doesn't ring any immediate bells, but it's 6am and my brain is cooked from coding hardcore math and the sweltering heat.

From DGaf to SteamGaf

ModBot said:
I am giving away 2 Steam keys. To enter this giveaway, send a PM to ModBot with any subject line. In the body, copy and paste the entire line from the message below that corresponds to the game you want. (if you include more than one game, you will be blocked from entering).

ModBot Basics:
- I really appreciate thank you messages, but please send them to me (VikasNarula, not ModBot!) via PM instead of in thread.

u0if8OB.png

Destiny Beta code (PS4 NA) #1 -- MB-458874B626CD4D26 - Taken by ricochetguro
Destiny Beta code (PS4 NA) #2 -- MB-4954F2BD9CC93A87 - Taken by ghettotwan

Grief.exe

Is Destiny actually good? Or is it one of those games that current gen owners will latch onto to justify their purchase?

Its sometimes difficult to separate the truth from post purchase rationalization.

Turfster

Well, if you never need something new to peruse, you can actually read one of the books in the line (mostly standalone, but with references to the time war) from the publisher's website free and legal. http://randomstatic.net/newtonssleep.php

Noted, thanks.

Is Destiny actually good? Or is it one of those games that current gen owners will latch onto to justify their purchase?

Its sometimes difficult to separate the truth from post purchase rationalization.

From people whose opinion on games I trust, even though it doesn't always match with mine, I've heard it's meh.

I was talking to Rhaknar about it earlier.
He had some positive impressions from about 30 minutes of playing the Beta on PS4.
He said it if came to PC, he'd be on it day one, but it's nothing he's going to spend full price to get on PS4.
Said it was "a true MMOFPS" or something along those lines. He sold me on investigating a price from mother Russia should it show up for purchase there (on Steam) eventually.

maneil99

I own a PC so I don't really care about my ps4, but it's really good, like really really good if it clicks for you which it did for me. If the final game is as consistent as the Alpha/Beta likely the best FPS of the last few years. Pretty sure the Alpha thread impressions were 90%+ positive after the poll.

Alot of PC gamers will put it aside due to their anger/bias which is laughable but in reality it nails gunplay, progression and visuals as well as a game like it can.

dot

Games that don't have windowed mode options annoy me.

talking about Lara Croft & the Guardian of Light...

Yes, it's good. The second question is a bit weird though...

If it's a game they like, what's wrong with justifying the purchase?

Archangel_

Neo Member
Just a few older/lesser keys if anyone is interested in them -- including a stinker, apparently! I guess you can ignore than one. =)

ModBot said:
I am giving away 5 Steam keys. To enter this giveaway, send a PM to ModBot with any subject line. In the body, copy and paste the entire line from the message below that corresponds to the game you want. (if you include more than one game, you will be blocked from entering).

ModBot Basics:
- This giveaway has a manual blocklist. The giver has identified members who abuse giveaways and restricted them from participating.
- I really appreciate thank you messages, but please send them to me (Archangel_, not ModBot!) via PM instead of in thread.

Rules for this Giveaway:
- This giveaway is a raffle. The winners will be selected by random draw 3 hours after the draw was created. Any games not claimed after that point will be given away first come first serve.

Blood of the Werewolf -- MB-2CE98A19FCC539A6 - Taken by Mono. 5 entrants total.
Capsized -- MB-7BE8BF55B1DF7B56 - Taken by freshVeggie. 3 entrants total.
Doc Clock: The Toasted Sandwich of Time -- MB-9D4690764D7323FB
Afterfall Insanity EE -- MB-EC3B20C7523020AC - Taken by taco543. 1 entrants total.
xheRJRF.gif
Bad Bots -- MB-B46501047FEF6ABC - Taken by redlacs. 1 entrants total.

t1405752498z1.png

Ibuki

Banned
Regarding Destiny, I am really hyped for the release, but I don't know if I am forcing myself. I played like an hour or two of the Beta and just went back to Steam. It was like a chore to play, maybe because I already did some of these parts on the alpha? Or maybe I just feel like I'm wasting my time since I'll have to do it again on release.

Jawmuncher

I've been enjoying it. A nice mix of Halo/Borderlands with some light MMO elements.
It's definitely something I'd easily buy on PC to play with StreamGAF.

Games that don't have windowed mode options annoy me.

talking about Lara Croft & the Guardian of Light...

Yes, it's good. The second question is a bit weird though...

If it's a game they like, what's wrong with justifying the purchase?

There are gamers who will "intenstify" their like/love of a game because they can use it to make them feel better about early adoption of the platform. Think about it, you've seen these gamers before, I'm sure.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom