• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

STEAM | July 2014-2 In his house at R'lyeh, dead Cthulhu waits dreaming

Status
Not open for further replies.

Shadownet

Banned
Welcome to NeoGAF. ; )

Pschh... More like Welcome to SteamGAF. I still remember the day when I used to be innocent. But then. "What's this? A Steam Summer Sale thread? What's that? What's Steam?oh well can't hurt to find out" *click on thread *

Then everything I knew changed.

I loved this when I played the first episode earlier, totally set the mood.

I know right? I look forward to the intro at the beginning of every episode. I heard they might possibly make a movie based on Fables. I hope they use this song in the intro. It would be so sick.

Wolf Among Us fans! Who do you think should be cast as Bigby Wolf?

JaseC

gave away the keys to the kingdom.
Ah, I do. That explains it. Thanks.

I really don't want it, but I guess it might be tied to the Wasteland 2 sub, and I guess it's futile to fight against the unwanted subs in ones library.

Yeah, no way to remove it from your account without also being rid of W2.

Rhaknar

The Steam equivalent of the drunk friend who keeps offering to pay your tab all night.
I was going to buy Waifu Simulator 2014 but I decided to buy Shit in Pants Simulator 2014 instead

phkmro.png

sorry Milamber :/

Tizoc

Well, XSEED is bound to either finally frickin' release TitS or drop the game. Then they can bring Ys 6 to Steam.

They're not gonna drop it. They invested enough in it that they have to release it.
Issue is, far as I can recall, is having the Japanese ver. of the game run properly on non Japanese computers, etc. I believe they only have like 1 or 2 people on coding duty.

Correct me if I'm wrong though Toma =X

It's one thing to translate all the Japanese strings for a game. Getting the translated text into the game without causing all sorts of trouble, that requires competent, patient coding, which is something the visual novel community could use more of.

Rhaknar

The Steam equivalent of the drunk friend who keeps offering to pay your tab all night.
Had you really no option that would left your pants nice and clean?

not really, the third option was Whispering Willows, probably also involves shit in pants

because even 2d games scare me, Lone Survivor and Home were terrifying >_>

Yeah, no way to remove it from your account without also being rid of W2.

Being a system developer myself, I can understand why it works like this, but it still annoys me. :)

The one thing that really needs to be fixed is the double entries for failed Steamplay titles, like Civ4 and GTA: San Andreas. It's just a shame that no one, neither Valve, the developers or the publishers want to take responsibility for it.

saunderez

It's one thing to translate all the Japanese strings for a game. Getting the translated text into the game without causing all sorts of trouble, that requires competent, patient coding, which is something the visual novel community could use more of.

Couldn't a lot of that be handled programatically? I know Japanese generally takes up less space than English and other languages based on the same character set but surely you'd be able to handle most of it programatically if you planned for it.

zkylon

zkylewd
So I discovered the other week that I have The Bard's Tale in my account.

*I have not bought it.
*I do not remember buying a humble bundle that included it.
*My account information doesn't show any sign of me redeeming it any way.
*It's not F2P, and even if it was, I have not played it.

you bought wasteland 2 didntcha

You can pull of some neat stuff in turn() once you start combining multiple functions, but in the beginning you don't have too many options, yeah.

Emergency turn is activated when you take fatal damage while having a full turn() bar iirc, and every time you die for real you lose your most expensive function and respawn at the previous checkpoint (most of the time right before the encounter). It gets restored after visiting two new access points.
i think i have like 10 powers already tho many of them are of questionable usefulness since i'm mostly using the backstab combo and dashing all over the place

gameplay reminds me a bit of parasite eve, a game i really really like (parasite eve 1, that is), but so far it's not really very enjoyable and actually kind of tedious, and i actually liked bastion

Haly's back and already wrecking fools in the Hearthstone thread though
oh that's nice, double standards are fun

Rhaknar

The game looks so awesome, definitely going to have to get my hands on a copy somehow! When's it actually out?

October lol. stupid slim possibility of russian region locking making me pre order all this shit

Shadownet

Banned
October lol. stupid slim possibility of russian region locking making me pre order all this shit
I think this has been answered before but let say if you buy your games normally.

If you pre-order a game on steam. Couldn't you ask for a refund before the day of release if you don't want it anymore?

Couldn't a lot of that be handled programatically? I know Japanese generally takes up less space than English and other languages based on the same character set but surely you'd be able to handle most of it programatically if you planned for it.
In the case of older Japanese PC games, you have little choice but to dig into either the source code or a disassembled code that needs recompiling. Point is, XSEED only ever seems to have one coder working on a variety of projects most of the time. Doing the text-translation modification for modern PC games is much easier than with pre-Windows J-PC stuff, but things take time still.

Tellaerin

but preordering gets you the nostromo edition with special scenarios involving the crew from Alien... RIPLEY IS BACK SON

Such mixed feelings on that. I love the idea of the scenarios involving the Alien crew, and the fact that they got the original actors onboard to voice them, but I hate the fact that it's going to be locked away as a preorder bonus. Publishers have gotten really ridiculous with that stuff. :s

JaseC

Ah crap, I kickstarted Wasteland 2 but did not claim my key of Bard's Tale and apparently I can't get it anymore.

Did your W2 key activate the "Wasteland 2 - Kickstarter Retail" sub? If so, the game should already be in your library.

Such mixed feelings on that. I love the idea of the scenarios involving the Alien crew, and the fact that they got the original actors onboard to voice them, but I hate the fact that it's going to be locked away as a preorder bonus. Publishers have gotten really ridiculous with that stuff. :s
I thought the drill with preorder DLC was that it usually gets released for general purchase/consumption later down the line.
Shadownet ain't got time for sleep either.

milena87

So...Dawn Of Planet Of The Apes is awesome guys. Go watch that after you're done with waifus.

I'm really curious about this movie, I loved Rise and the trailers for Dawn look awesome.

Anyway, I'm considering buying Alien Isolation, but are there some interesting preorder prices? Say, around 25€?

Ozium

I'm sure they will release it as PAID DLC a few months after the game releases, they'd be stupid to pay hollywood actors and then not try to get as much cash as possible back...

most sega preorder dlc has been released eventually iirc

JaseC

I thought the drill with preorder DLC was that it usually gets released for general purchase/consumption later down the line.

Generally that's true, but sometimes it doesn't, which is why I pre-order games for the goodies if the store page description doesn't suggest that they'll be released later.

saunderez

In the case of older Japanese PC games, you have little choice but to dig into either the source code or a disassembled code that needs recompiling. Point is, XSEED only ever seems to have one coder working on a variety of projects most of the time. Doing the text-translation modification for modern PC games is much easier than with pre-Windows J-PC stuff, but things take time still.

Fair enough makes sense. My only experience with this kinda thing is rom hacking GB games to play on a flash kart. We generally just modified the text to pay out our friends. Good times.

saunderez

Are you referring to the beta key? I have the beta but Bard's Tale isn't in my library.

It's in my library. And I'm a Kickstarter backer. But I can't figure out if I got it from a bundle or it came from Wasteland 2. It seems like both games have been in my library for a loooong time.

Dr Dogg

After seeing that Ys 'What I expected, What I got' picture posted umpteen times, I really should get round to adding that into my current playlog (if that is such a thing?). Despite know what to expect you can't beat some sensational pictures to sell it.

Also I noticed some rather worrying HolyBaikal like posts about expunging games from their libraries. Either suffer in silence, name the game or have a mini break down when everyone pressurises you to tell us what you are so ashamed off ;)

I'm sure since it is late this will get lost in the thread, but here it is anyway...

Valiant Hearts: The Great War...

Thanks for the impressions KevMan.

I didn't know the puzzle elements were that central to the game. I'm even more tempted now as they are a dying breed (well for games on a bigger scale even if Valiant Hearts is still relatively small). Though they do sound either easy or that rhythm style game that keeps on getting brought up.

Still the art style looks great and having relevant information about the history of The Great War interspersed is more of a selling point for me. Then again the UbiArt Framework hasn't had a bad looking game yet.

It almost doesn't sound like a Ubisoft game at all. Maybe they're not completely a bitter, twisted, money minded company after all. To be fair though they do have a very diverse portfolio.

It's not really one section, but a often recurring gameplay mechanic, that takes maybe
15-20 seconds
each time. The last one in the game is longer though (maybe about
a minute
long?) If you mess up, it takes longer of course, as you have to do it all over again.

Well I guess there has to be some sort of challenge gated by fail states right? :(

Doesn't sound too bad the way you put it but I can understand if you're not a fan of those types of challenge that they can get pretty tedious fast. Then again I love the karaoke sections in Sleeping Dogs and not just for comical Wei Shen dancing.
I've read only one or two reports on here of someone winning since the giveaway resumed.

Edit: Oh wow, I have a tag. Thanks!

Hahaha well it's been a long time coming but very well deserved. I wonder if Enco will get a child brand tag to let everyone know about your symbiotic 'relationship'?

Tizoc

I think I love you Tizoc. I was just thinking that it should be Hugh Jackman. Though I could also see him play Beast.

Had I known any better, I'd say Bigby in the game is based on Hugh Jackman.
bigby_wolf_by_brilcrist-d7f7p3p.jpg

2558224-2558223-big-bad-wolf.png

rw-HughJackman-wd-20140127140204195123-620x349.jpg

...and I am saddened I can't find any good Nerissa fanart =/

A Fish Aficionado

I am going to make it through this year if it kills me
Like the Alien universe hasn't already been abused enough.

Fair enough makes sense. My only experience with this kinda thing is rom hacking GB games to play on a flash kart. We generally just modified the text to pay out our friends. Good times.
I do wonder, though, if it's only certain games that present lots of programming problems when you try to hack them. Something programmed completely in assembler, for example, is like a glass cannon: extremely powerful with the correct variables in place, but fragile enough to break when you try to tamper with it. Tech-pushing games like Star Cruiser are more susceptible to this issue than simpler visual novel programs.

D

Deleted member 125677

Unconfirmed Member
too hot for vidya games

I live almost on the north pole (Bergen, Norway) and it is 31°C here. Naturally we don't have air condition, because why would you ever need that

saunderez

I do wonder, though, if it's only certain games that present lots of programming problems when you try to hack them. Something programmed completely in assembler, for example, is like a glass cannon: extremely powerful with the correct variables in place, but fragile enough to break when you try to tamper with it. Tech-pushing games like Star Cruiser are more susceptible to this issue than simpler visual novel programs.

We mainly hacked Pokemon games because they had a lot of dialogue and it was relatively easy to find and change. We did try some graphics editing when were at it, we managed to replace the "PIKA!" bubble in the Pokemon Yellow title screen with something a bit more crude but that game seemed pretty unbreakable when it came to rom hacking.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom