• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

STEAM | July 2014-2 In his house at R'lyeh, dead Cthulhu waits dreaming

Status
Not open for further replies.

Dr Dogg

I actually didn't mind those parts of the game at all, just thought at first it was a bit weird to implement that into this kind of game.
It's also pretty easy, I only failed the first one because I didn't realise quick enough what I was supposed to do.

Ah that's alright then. Is it just a case of the game not telling what the button prompts are in a 'hey you'll figure it out as you play' kind of way?

http://store.steampowered.com/app/55100/

Now for Second Sight... *drums fingers*

Ooooohh nice. What with Anno coming back all I need from my old wishlisted games to return are Second Sight and Neverwinter Nights II (yep fat bloody chance on the latter).

Tizoc

I recently started listening to the fantastic podcast VGMpire, and they did a show on Ys that made me want to play it some more. My only exposure to the series was a number of years ago playing Ys III on the SNES.

heh Ys: Oath in Felghana is a remake of 3, and is the best ver. of the game. Get that game along with Origin at least.

Knurek

You just want them to make a Whale Hug Pillow don't you?

0e3.png

but you can't really compare Binary Domain to Yakuza, Yakuza is unique franchise as far as I'm aware. They can't know how it would do on PC without trying. It probably wouldn't sell a lot, but it can sell enough to keep ports worth efforts and that's what matters.

You're right, Binary Domain had much greater chance of selling on PCs (especially true since we didn't get GoW2/3 and Vanquish). And it still tanked.
Why on earth would Sega pump tens/hundreds of thousands of dollars (anyone knows actual porting/localization costs?) into something that has a snowball in hell chance of being in the black?

JaseC

gave away the keys to the kingdom.
Ooooohh nice. What with Anno coming back all I need from my old wishlisted games to return are Second Sight and Neverwinter Nights II (yep fat bloody chance on the latter).

I e-mailed Wizards several months ago (either late last year or early into this year) about its D&D catalogue hitting Steam but just received the usual "No plans to announce" spiel. I'm sure it'll happen eventually.

Atari was poised to release the games itself a few years ago (Valve employees own/ed them), however for some reason this plan was abandoned and they were never released publicly.

Edit:
icewilddaleqpudd.jpg

:( One day.

neoemonk

I e-mailed Wizards several months ago (either late last year or early into this year) about its D&D catalogue hitting Steam but just received the usual "No plans to announce" spiel. I'm sure it'll happen eventually.

Atari was poised to release the games itself a few years ago (Valve employees own/ed them), however for some reason this plan was abandoned and they were never released publicly.

Edit:
icewilddaleqpudd.jpg

Aren't those games on GOG? I thought I saw them but I could be wrong.

Edit:
icewilddaleqpudd.jpg

At this point I no longer care, I've given up and joined the DRM free Utopia that is GOG. Only way I would get them on Steam is if they were on a humble bundle for cheap or something.

Arthea

You're right, Binary Domain had much greater chance of selling on PCs (especially true since we didn't get GoW2/3 and Vanquish). And it still tanked.
Why on earth would Sega pump tens/hundreds of thousands of dollars (anyone knows actual porting/localization costs?) into something that has a snowball in hell chance of being in the black?

I don't believe this for a second. How can any publisher expect new IP sell more than well known franchise? You can't be serious...
It doesn't matter it being more appealing to west one bit! when we are talking about new IPs. Anyways, trying to appeal to west almost always does more harm than good too (><)

JaseC

Is it more about Steam than the games themselves? I'm sorry if I'm being ignorant here.

I just prefer to have all my games in the one place where possible. At this point I can't think of a single reason why Wizards is being tardy about bringing the games to Steam -- in addition to GOG they're also on GamersGate, Amazon and presumably other DD stores, too.

saunderez

I don't believe this for a second. How can any publisher expect new IP sell more than well known franchise? You can't be serious...
It doesn't matter it being more appealing to west one bit! when we are talking about new IPs. Anyways, trying to appeal to west almost always does more harm than good too (><)

I feel like I'm preaching to the choir but you totally got a point. Yakuza is an established brand. As someone who never really owned Playstation at the right time I never played any of them, though I was always aware of their existence and always wanted to try the games. I'm a prime candidate for this shit.

Yakkue

Ah that's alright then. Is it just a case of the game not telling what the button prompts are in a 'hey you'll figure it out as you play' kind of way?

Oh no, they show the buttons very clearly. I just didn't expect that kind of gameplay at all and was focusing on a different part of the screen for too long...I'm pretty sure no one but me had that problem ;)

JaseC

Gamersgate version is not the same of GOG one.

Even so, they're published by Wizards (and DRM-free to boot).

Also I think they want release an enhanced edition just like they did with BG, I also read a news some time ago regarding an enhanced edition for Planescape Torment.

That's all well and good but I'd like Steam versions of the originals, too. ;)

Is there currently any way to buy Star Trek Voyager Elite Force digitally?

Nope. Acti owns the game and I don't see the company pursuing the Star Trek licence again.

neoemonk

I just prefer to have all my games in the one place where possible. At this point I can't think of a single reason why Wizards is being tardy about bringing the games to Steam -- in addition to GOG they're also on GamersGate, Amazon and presumably other DD stores, too.

Admittedly it is convenient. I have too many old disc based games from before I got into Steam though. I'm also not big on reacquisition though. I don't like paying for something that I already have.

Monooboe

I feel slightly ashamed that I genuinely want to play Sakura Spirit... ^^, Is there a way on Steam to play something secretly haha?

aku:jiki

Steam probably wants a larger cut than the other guys. Wizards is all about dat paper.

Miguel81

If Sega ever decided to put Yakuza I on Steam, please keep the Japanese sub. It was funny hearing Mark Hamill drop f-bombs, though.

Dr Dogg

Can't the devs be continually donated to until they reach that whale/harem goal?

I would be game with something like this if it weren't for the fear that publishers would really take advantage of a donation lead preorder or port campaign. While putting your own money upfront speaks a lot more than a signature on a petition I can see it being applied to games from publishers with plenty of capital looking to increase their margins by cutting out as many middlemen as possible.

Edit:
icewilddaleqpudd.jpg

I own them all on GOG and some on disc but it's not the same *sob*

What I find really bonkers is the publisher now listed on GOG is Hasbro (I swear it was Atari way back when I picked them up) so surely they are signing off on the discounts for GOG's sales. It's not like has been any official updates in years so management of said titles on Steam or any other platform would probably be minimal at best. I guess they don't know about crazy Steam collectors who double and triple dip. Maybe we should ask Polygon do show them a pie chart.

Casimir

Unconfirmed Member
Anybody sells keys in gaf? What about trading for game?

The summer here is usually 38-42 Celsius. 21 in the winter.

Very humid.

Sub Zero offered to sell keys for $2.00 each. Dunder usually has a small selection of games for sale, usually for PayPal but sometimes keys.

Miguel81

Is there anything wrong with the Dungeons & Dragons Anthology: The Master Collection from Gamersgate(Other than not being on Steam)? It was on sale for less the 5 USD and DRM-free so I had to bite.

Arthea

watch doggies

obviously, I wasn't talking about games that have marketing budget equal in size to yearly income of a small country and ubi magic behind them.
or you are just teasing, probably latter.

otoh, I still can't believe that AssCreed (first one) sold this much as it did. I just don't understand why, hype or not.

deadflower81

Neo Member
I would recommend:
Cook, Serve, Delicious - a hardcore restaurant sim
Ittle Dew - nice little LoZ inspired game with some humor
Binding of Isaac - a huge time sink, it's my second most played game on steam
Block that Matter - challenging puzzle platformer
Tetrobot and Co. - sequel to BTM, eliminated the platforming aspect and focuses more on puzzles
Jamestown - a shmup with nice art and music that forces you to improve
Defender's Quest: Valley of the Forgotten - a tower defense game with rpg elements

Thank you! I'll check each one of them!

Regarding Ittle dew, i'm waiting for the european Wii U version... I know, I know, the price will be higher, but I want to support indie on Wii U ;)

based on your list i bet you would enjoy Botanicula, LYNE and Papo & Yo
they've all been bundled so you can just keep an eye for spare keys people may have, but i would definitely not regret buying those (on sale)

edit: ah, missed you have Botanicula on GOG list

Thank you, i'll add them to my watch list!

...just be prepared for the fact that it's more of a puzzle adventure than a combat adventure and every single puzzle is Sokoban.

Hugely disappointing for me. :(

I've heard about that... it's the only thing that holds me back from buying ittle dew on wii u :(

Tizoc

Far as AssCreed is concerned, I got it for its setting, yeah it's repetitive as all get out but can be fun in short bursts.

Miguel81

obviously, I wasn't talking about games that have marketing budget equal in size to yearly income of a small country and ubi magic behind them.

otoh, I still can't believe that AssCreed (first one) sold this much as it did. I just don't understand why, hype or not.

Fantastic visuals and environments. Also, you can kill people like an assassin and look cool and stuff.

Knurek

As Tizoc stated, Watch_Dogs didn't have any problems selling more than (probably) all Sega's yearly output combined.
Let's put it this way - there is a better chance of Shenmue 3 being Ouya exclusive, than that of Sega releasing their PS2/XBOX/PS3 back catalogue on Steam.
(And yes, I'd very much like to eat crow here. Won't happen though).

D

Deleted member 125677

Unconfirmed Member
The gigolo missions in Killer is Dead is so absurdly over-the-top. They're really dumb, not even fun to play, but I hardly see why they caused so much commotion?

I'm out of this thread for 18 hours due to a migraine and come back to 30 more pages. Damn.

7 days after finding nothing wrong with my Graphics card, Gigabyte finally decides to ship it back to me. Perfect timing considering we're moving in a few weeks. This is going to be a very hard stretch SteamBros.

Glad Alien : Isolation is finally up for pre-order. Happy about the price as well, but I'll have to wait for a sale (and impressions) to pick it up

Tizoc

As Tizoc stated, Watch_Dogs didn't have any problems selling more than (probably) all Sega's yearly output combined.
Let's put it this way - there is a better chance of Shenmue 3 being Ouya exclusive, than that of Sega releasing their PS2/XBOX/PS3 back catalogue on Steam.
(And yes, I'd very much like to eat crow here. Won't happen though).

Im a blind optimist, so I'll always BELIEVE there's a 1% chance such game's will get made/released/re-released.

Dr Dogg

Another thing to note. All the big publishers new IPs are seemingly taking less and less risks due to what I assume are higher budgets. Destiny is probably going to be the next new IP sales darling but I've seen nothing, even after the public alpha that doesn't scream Borderlands (but dead serious without the awful humor, don't know what's worse to be honest) with MMO components to stretch out how thin the concept is.

I like Watch_Dogs but it didn't innovate really at all. Hacking was a focus during the marketing push that boils down to a button press and one tedious mini game (and supposedly Kaspersky helped them with that hahahahahaha).

Volcynika

For the early morning bump of my giveaway I posted last night: (Original post to be edited)

ModBot said:
Instructions for participants:
I am giving away 12 Steam keys. To enter this giveaway, send a PM to ModBot with any subject line. In the body, copy and paste the entire line from the message below that corresponds to the game you want. (if you include more than one game, you will be blocked from entering).

ModBot Basics:
- This giveaway has a manual blocklist. The giver has identified members who abuse giveaways and restricted them from participating.
- I really appreciate thank you messages, but please send them to me (Volcynika, not ModBot!) via PM instead of in thread.
- Do not trade keys you win off-site to enrich yourself. Don't try to claim games you have no interest in collecting or playing. Don't claim games to give them to friends off-site.
- If the key is already taken you will not receive a reply. Replies may take a minute or two.

Rules for this Giveaway:
- If you are a lurker you are not eligible for this giveaway. You need five or more posts in either the current Steam thread or the previous one to be eligible
- This is a free for all! You can enter for multiple games on the list below. Send an individual PM for each game you'd like to win.
- If you won a game from ModBot in the last day, you are not eligible for this giveaway.
- This giveaway is a raffle. The winners will be selected by random draw 24 hours after the draw was created. Any games not claimed after that point will be given away first come first serve.

Ys: The Oath in Felghana #1 -- MB-FBC9E85CB5031C6C - Taken by NightmareTrigger
Ys: The Oath in Felghana #2 -- MB-E1CDA56E7D78EAB0
Ys: The Oath in Felghana #3 -- MB-57C7110075E56013
Ys: The Oath in Felghana #4 -- MB-B85F81890F122C9B

Ys Origin #1 -- MB-D17611B560BD65FE
Ys Origin #2 -- MB-571D02488A46E3FD
Ys Origin #3 -- MB-CAE087FA82A4B639
Ys Origin #4 -- MB-EE6FA5A3F80DB3F4

Ys 1 & 2 Chronicles + #1 -- MB-12DFE19B03374C3D - Taken by RionaaM. 11 entrants total.
Ys 1 & 2 Chronicles + #2 -- MB-1D9065E4A31EB9ED
Ys 1 & 2 Chronicles + #3 -- MB-F31E1BE8E5D1FAEE
Ys 1 & 2 Chronicles + #4 -- MB-98404DDEF4B15376

t1405054289z1.png

JaseC

Another thing to note. All the big publishers new IPs are seeming taking less and less risks due to what I assume are higher budgets. Destiny is probably going to be the next new IP sales darling but I've seen nothing, even after the public alpha that doesn't scream Borderlands (but dead serious without the awful humor, don't know what's worse to be honest) with MMO components to stretch out how thin the concept is.

I like Watch_Dogs but it didn't innovate really at all. Hacking as a focus that boils down to a button press and one tedious mini game.

I'm hoping -- nay, praying -- that Valve's Stars of Blood wasn't outright canned but rather put on ice to be reborn as a Source 2 title once the engine is more mature. The mind salivates at the thought of a Valve-developed an open-world space game with a practically unlimited budget.

neoemonk

All this AC talk! I started to play Brotherhood again recently. I played until the end of sequence 1 and then a little bit of the present timeline.

I have mixed feelings about the series. I believe it was originally supposed to be a trilogy and they had a story planned out but Ubi fired the guy in charge of that so now it seems the story is less meaningful and they are just milking it for everything it's worth.

On the other hand, people seem to love the ship based stuff so I may press on with the series anyway.

Over the Fourth of July weekend I visited my cousin and he has a PS4 with Black Flag. It looked pretty good but I think PC has spoiled me because something seemed off about the performance of the game. I don't know if it was the frame rate or what. I just thought it would be smoother. I'm not really skilled at identifying what specifically was going on graphically, but there was definitely something amiss. I'd like to see if Black Flag runs smoother on my PC to be honest.

Arthea

Another thing to note. All the big publishers new IPs are seemingly taking less and less risks due to what I assume are higher budgets. Destiny is probably going to be the next new IP sales darling but I've seen nothing, even after the public alpha that doesn't scream Borderlands (but dead serious without the awful humor, don't know what's worse to be honest) with MMO components to stretch out how thin the concept is.

I like Watch_Dogs but it didn't innovate really at all. Hacking was a focus during the marketing push that boils down to a button press and one tedious mini game (and supposedly Kaspersky helped them with that hahahahahaha).

is this real life? (><)

edited: aww Ys, Volcynika, that's very nice of you.

Dr Dogg

I'm hoping -- nay, praying -- that Valve's Stars of Blood wasn't outright canned but rather put on ice to be reborn as a Source 2 title once the engine is more mature. The mind salivates at the thought of a Valve-developed an open-world space game with a practically unlimited budget.

What the? I wonder why I never heard of this *goes off to Google*. Ok even with thin details this sounds awesome. I mean a Valve game set in space? That's the stuff dreams are made of!

is this real life? (><)

It's still a bit of a mystery exactly what their involvement was other than looking over the script (though some sites went a little too overboard) but here's the press release from Kaspersky's side.

http://www.kaspersky.com/about/news...spersky-Lab-to-Authenticate-Watch-Dogs-Script

Make of that what you will.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom