• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

STEAM | July 2014-2 In his house at R'lyeh, dead Cthulhu waits dreaming

Status
Not open for further replies.

Timedog

good credit (by proxy)
In Half-Life 1 I keep picking up these boxes that have radioactive symbols on them but I don't think they're ammo for any weapons I have. What is dis???????????????????????????????????????????????????????????????????

A Fish Aficionado

I am going to make it through this year if it kills me
In Half-Life 1 I keep picking up these boxes that have radioactive symbols on them but I don't think they're ammo for any weapons I have. What is dis???????????????????????????????????????????????????????????????????
Energy or suit packs? It's been so long since I played it.

Ozium

the only weapon you need is a crowbar

milena87

too hot for vidya games

I live almost on the north pole (Bergen, Norway) and it is 31°C here. Naturally we don't have air condition, because why would you ever need that

Ah! So it's you guys who have been stealing our climate!

18°C here in Northern Italy in July is just... strange.

Rhaknar

The Steam equivalent of the drunk friend who keeps offering to pay your tab all night.
Rust passed Sakura Spirit again

the dream is dead guys :(

crying-gif-10.gif

saunderez

31°C is warm weather, you want hot try 45°C or higher.

Oh yeah I lived in a town where it regularly got to 45°C+ during Summer. The only saving grace was it was so far inland that it was dry as anything so if you got out of the sun the heat was bearable. Good times....

A Fish Aficionado

I am going to make it through this year if it kills me
Jeebus. I've only been in like 40ish°C and it felt like an oven.

Rarely does it reach 45ish. Only on the worst days.

Sarcasm

Anybody sells keys in gaf? What about trading for game?

The summer here is usually 38-42 Celsius. 21 in the winter.

Very humid.

JaseC

gave away the keys to the kingdom.
Hahaha well it's been a long time coming but very well deserved. I wonder if Enco will get a child brand tag to let everyone know about your symbiotic 'relationship'?

Cheers. :)

there's suit packs which come in little green containers and energy comes in medkit looking packs. these radioactive packs just started showing up in the last level or so.

I haven't played Half-Life since '99 but I'm fairly certain the packs you're referring to are ammo caches for the gauss gun.

Edit: Two -> too -> to. Where is my brain today.

deadflower81

Neo Member
Just played a bit with Thomas Was Alone, won thanks to N05 giveaway... and i'm loving it! :)

I'm a console guy since 8 bit era, but sometimes i 've taken a break to play with classic, great pc games (from Alley Cat to Lucasart's adventures, the first Alone in the Dark, Doom, Duke Nukem 3d, Morrowind, and so on).

Now I have a Mac. I was new to this world and to things like summer steam sales, gog, humble bundle and... just wow! Never bought so many games in such a short time, and for so few euros!

Why i'm telling you this? Just to have suggestion for other Mac games worth playing!

Here there is a list of my steam games thus far, just to understand what i like and what io already have. As you can see i'm not a fps/multiplayer/sports type of gamer:

Gemini Rue
Thomas Was Alone
Adventures of Shuggy
Amnesia: The Dark Descent
Antichamber
Awesomenauts
Ballpoint Universe: Infinite
Bastion
Braid
Castle Crashers
Cinders
Don't Starve
Dream Pinball 3D
Dust: An Elysian Tail
FEZ
FTL: Faster Than Light
Gateways
Gone Home
Kairo
KAMI
Lone Survivor: The Director's Cut
Master Reboot
Monaco
Papers, Please
Rogue Legacy
Secrets of Rætikon
Subject 9
Terraria (Thanks, WineSkin!)
The Swapper
The Walking Dead
The Witcher: Enhanced Edition
Trine
Unturned
Woodle Tree Adventures
World of Goo

...and GOG games (sorry for caps):

WAKING MARS
MACHINARIUM: COLLECTOR'S EDITION
ESCHALON: BOOK I
ESCHALON: BOOK III
ESCHALON: BOOK II
GENEFORGE 1-5
AVADON 2: THE CORRUPTION
AVADON: THE BLACK FORTRESS
AVERNUM: THE COMPLETE SAGA
HAMMERWATCH
WHISPERED WORLD: SPECIAL EDITION, THE
INCREDIPEDE
KNOCK-KNOCK
JOURNEY OF A ROACH
TINY AND BIG: GRANDPA'S LEFTOVERS
THE REAL TEXAS
PENUMBRA COLLECTION, THE
LEGEND OF GRIMROCK
ANOTHER WORLD: 20TH ANNIVERSARY EDITION
BOTANICULA
ANODYNE
LURE OF THE TEMPTRESS
ULTIMA WORLDS OF ADVENTURE 2: MARTIAN DREAMS
STARGUNNER
TEENAGENT
FLIGHT OF THE AMAZON QUEEN
BARD'S TALE, THE
STACKING
WARSOW
TREASURE ADVENTURE GAME
BENEATH A STEEL SKY
WORLDS OF ULTIMA: THE SAVAGE EMPIRE
ULTIMA™ 4: QUEST OF THE AVATAR
TYRIAN 2000
DRAGONSPHERE

And that's all!
Any suggestions are welcome! :)

Dr Dogg

First Valve giveth
Steam Client Beta Update - July 7

We're beginning a new Steam Client Beta today.

In-Home Streaming
Implemented NVIDIA NvIFR hardware-accelerated coding on Windows

and then they taketh away
Steam Client Beta Update - July 9

We've just published a new beta which includes the following changes.

In-Home Streaming
Temporarily disabled NVIDIA hardware-accelerated encoding for additional driver testing

Didn't even have chance to try hardware encoding out. Anyone with a compatible Nvidia card try it out (on DX9 titles of course)?

Yakkue

Doesn't sound too bad the way you put it but I can understand if you're not a fan of those types of challenge that they can get pretty tedious fast. Then again I love the karaoke sections in Sleeping Dogs and not just for comical Wei Shen dancing.

I actually didn't mind those parts of the game at all, just thought at first it was a bit weird to implement that into this kind of game.
It's also pretty easy, I only failed the first one because I didn't realise quick enough what I was supposed to do.

Tizoc

Oh yeah I lived in a town where it regularly got to 45°C+ during Summer. The only saving grace was it was so far inland that it was dry as anything so if you got out of the sun the heat was bearable. Good times....

Over here the heat can be felt even at night. It might not be 'stingy' heat, but its annoying not to mention the humidity...

Ozium

I actually didn't mind those parts of the game at all, just thought at first it was a bit weird to implement that into this kind of game.
It's also pretty easy, I only failed the first one because I didn't realise quick enough what I was supposed to do.

Never play a Yakuza game then...

lol

edit: yakuza games are other games that need to be on steam along with metal gears, policenauts and snatcher... and GORF

They're ammo. Which chapter you at? Questionable Ethics, right? Then keep playing and you'll see.

RionaaM

Unconfirmed Member
I just opened the Steam store page to find that Wilflare had gifted me Ys: The Oath in Felghana. Thanks a lot! I've had this game really hyped, so now I wanted to play it.

Kyougar

@ Sunrider

Why is it free to play? Played it for 2 to 3 hours now and it is a solid VN/tactical Space RPG
Saw no microtransactions or anything. Maybe its not finished? Clearly such a game would be 30 to 80 dollar (eq.) in japan?

And that's all!

I would recommend:
Cook, Serve, Delicious - a hardcore restaurant sim
Ittle Dew - nice little LoZ inspired game with some humor
Binding of Isaac - a huge time sink, it's my second most played game on steam
Block that Matter - challenging puzzle platformer
Tetrobot and Co. - sequel to BTM, eliminated the platforming aspect and focuses more on puzzles
Jamestown - a shmup with nice art and music that forces you to improve
Defender's Quest: Valley of the Forgotten - a tower defense game with rpg elements

JaseC

Never play a Yakuza game then...

lol

edit: yakuza games are other games that need to be on steam along with metal gears, policenauts and snatcher... and GORF

The issue with Yakuza is that as far as Sega is concerned the series has limited international appeal and PC gaming in Japan at this juncture isn't popular enough to warrant the costs of porting the games. I do think we'll get MGSV, though, and if that does well then I can see Konami porting over the X360 version of the HD Collection (the Legacy Collection would be ideal, but being exclusive to the PS3 it may be deemed a job for the Too Hard Basket).

Tizoc

The issue with Yakuza is that as far as Sega is concerned the series has limited international appeal and PC gaming in Japan at this juncture isn't popular enough to warrant the costs of porting the games.

Kinda a shame they couldn't look past Japan, but with the Yakuza series that's understandable, and besides porting costs for release in English might not be beneficial...

Tellaerin

@ Sunrider

Why is it free to play? Played it for 2 to 3 hours now and it is a solid VN/tactical Space RPG
Saw no microtransactions or anything. Maybe its not finished? Clearly such a game would be 30 to 80 dollar (eq.) in japan?

Quoting from a topic on the Sunrider Steam discussion board:

Back in early january 1'217 people backed this project on kickstarter pledging $44k with which the game is funded.
https://www.kickstarter.com/projects/1500482054/sunrider
the game itself is free thanks to these backers and will always be free. no microtransactions, no fees for this installment or any of the following ones.

from the kickstarter page:

* Sunrider is FREEWARE. The game will be released for free upon completion.
* Obviously, Love in Space has an absolutely zero DRM stance.
* You are free to modify, translate, mod, and/or expand upon Sunrider is any manner you choose, so long as you do not charge other people money for any of Sunrider's assets.
* Love in Space gives you the right to use Sunrider in any other manner you want, with the only condition being you do not charge other people money for any part of Sunrider.

Keeping Sunrider free is made possible largely through the generous contributions of people like you. I expect to carry the majority of the production costs myself. However, any donations you make will go a long way in making Sunrider a great game.

Last edited by Vaendryl.NL; 11 hours ago

So there you go.

Arthea

The issue with Yakuza is that as far as Sega is concerned the series has limited international appeal and PC gaming in Japan at this juncture isn't popular enough to warrant the costs of porting the games.

I can be wrong, but I'm sure, that Yakuza would do on PC better than on consoles, if priced accordingly. For one Yakuza games are long ones with lots of content, games one can leave and come years later to play some, and consoles aren't really made for such playstyle.
then again I can be wrong too
but I wish Sega would try at least, you know, release one game and see how it does. Not like they need to translate them, translations are already available and porting shouldn't be THAT expensive, or is it?

Knurek

@ Sunrider

It's freeware, after being successfully funded by a Kickstarter.
More info available at the Kickstarter page.

kiyomi

So I'm thinking I want to play Half Life for the very first time, are there any essential mods I need to pick up?

Also, is there a beginner's guide to the do's and don'ts of modding? I've never done anything like it before.

redlacs

based on your list i bet you would enjoy Botanicula, LYNE and Papo & Yo
they've all been bundled so you can just keep an eye for spare keys people may have, but i would definitely not regret buying those (on sale)

edit: ah, missed you have Botanicula on GOG list

Chariot

Judging by the name, this is just a demo/introduction chapter.
More info available at the Kickstarter page.
Doesn't change that's its be forever free
  • Sunrider is FREEWARE. The game will be released for free upon completion.
  • Obviously, Love in Space has an absolutely zero DRM stance.
Keeping Sunrider free is made possible largely through the generous contributions of people like you. I expect to carry the majority of the production costs myself. However, any donations you make will go a long way in making Sunrider a great game.

Tizoc

I can be wrong, but I'm sure, that Yakuza would do on PC better than on consoles, if priced accordingly. For one Yakuza games are long ones with lots of content, games one can leave and come years later to play some, and consoles aren't really made for such playstyle.
but I wish Sega would try at least, you know, release one game and see how it does. Not like they need to translate them, translations are already available and porting shouldn't be THAT expensive, or is it?

The main issue here is: Consumer interest.
How can we be sure there'd be like 10,000 or even 100,000 Steam users that'd be interested in this franchise/game if its released on Steam?
The average steam user will think its Japanese GTA and may not be interested, worse is if they find that it's a beat'em-up with RPG elements and not like it, which is part of why I like the series =/

JaseC

As far as I'm aware the only belated PC port Sega has bankrolled is Viking, and that took years to show up as it was a low-priority project. Ideally the job would only take a few months (Alan Wake being the prime example here), however it took Konami almost a year to release Rising.

Arthea

The main issue here is: Consumer interest.
How can we be sure there'd be like 10,000 or even 100,000 Steam users that'd be interested in this franchise/game if its released on Steam?
The average steam user will think its Japanese GTA and may not be interested, worse is if they find that it's a beat'em-up with RPG elements and not like it, which is part of why I like the series =/

you have a point, but how can they know if they never try?

saunderez

We can't really, but as someone who's never picked up a Yakuza game I'd definitely be interested and I'm sure I'm not alone. Maybe there would be enough interest.

kiyomi

Always played vanilla. If you can, play the original version, not the Source one, because I've read something is screwed here (but I only played regular HL).

Hmm, okay. I guess I was expecting there'd be a worthwhile handful of mods, but if not, that's okay.

Anyone else?

milena87

I thought it was better than Rise for sure.

And don't watch the final trailer.
It spoils most of the great moments in the movie.

Thanks, I won't watch it then :)

It'll get released on July 30th here, thankfully not much more to wait. For some reason we won't get Guardians of the Galaxy until October 22nd...

Miguel81

Did you guys pick up the Ys games? I chose I&II + Oath. I'll save Origin for some future purchase after I plow through a chunk of games, and when I hear of VI(maybe VII, too) being released on Steam. Make that happen, Xseed.

Arthea

As far as I'm aware the only belated PC port Sega has bankrolled is Viking, and that took years to show up as it was a low-priority project. Ideally the job would only take a few months (Alan Wake being the prime example here), however it took Konami almost a year to release Rising.

you reminded me that I was going to pick Viking when it was on sale on gamersgate and totally forgot!

What's Sega's projected ROI from making the port? Especially after that team's last game, Binary Domain, tanked despite being more Western focused?

but you can't really compare Binary Domain to Yakuza, Yakuza is unique franchise as far as I'm aware. They can't know how it would do on PC without trying. It probably wouldn't sell a lot, but it can sell enough to keep ports worth efforts and that's what matters.

neoemonk

I recently started listening to the fantastic podcast VGMpire, and they did a show on Ys that made me want to play it some more. My only exposure to the series was a number of years ago playing Ys III on the SNES.

Tizoc

We can't really, but as someone who's never picked up a Yakuza game I'd definitely be interested and I'm sure I'm not alone. Maybe there would be enough interest.

you have a point, but how can they know if they never try?

Actually I would be glad to be proven wrong, if Yakuza 1+2 HD get released on Steam and remains among the top 10 for like a week...manlier tears would not had been shed until then.

Though I gotta ask...either of you got Killer is Dead (not via gifting, but buying it off Steam or key trading).

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom