• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

STEAM | July 2014-3 – Let Off Some STEAM Bennett

Status
Not open for further replies.

yGray

Banned
Interesting, so does it actually have a cool hand to hand combat engine? The actual meat of the combat tends to be a failure in lots of open world games, so it would be cool to have one with an actual deep fighting engine in it. Thanks for the info BTW.

The gameplay is great. It's KIND OF like the Arkham series. It's fun and fluid.

Sunless Sea might be the first Day One I've bought this year... Waiting to see if it's as in depth as it claims. Looks and sounds wonderful.

I have really enjoyed the limited amount of time I have gotten to spend with it so far. Here are some early impressions that I wrote up on it previously:

Sunless Sea

The following are my early impressions from the Unterzee:

I've managed to spend a couple hours with the game so far and I must say I've thoroughly enjoyed my time with it. The game's setting is a Victorian Gothic world under the Earth. At the start you are tasked with forging your destiny/story by choosing your captain's silhouette, name, and back-story. Captain, you say? Why yes, in Sunless Sea the name of the game is piloting your steamship across the dark and unlit reaches of the sea in search of trade or treasure. Be warned though, the sea can be a harsh mistress. There are things out there that will drive a man mad with terror. Pirates will set upon you, sea monsters, bats, old gods, and more lie in wait for the unwary traveler.

Playing through the game has reminded me of a board game that my wife and I love to play. That board game is Arkham Horror (and its expansions). The H.P. Lovecraft influence can seen and read in the game's lore and art. The atmosphere, writing, music, and art in the game have all been wonderfully presented. I like that I am the master of my own destiny here. I choose where to go and what to do. I can follow along with the story and unravel the mysteries of the game or just wander off on my own in search of who knows what.

I'll leave discussion of the game mechanics and systems to those who are more qualified than me. The game isn't Finnish as of yet. So I have noticed that there are some things missing in the game. Some of the story isn't in yet and once I ran across a placeholder enemy but there seems to be plenty of content already. The developers have regularly patched the game and there is a roadmap on their site for upcoming content updates. I believe the game is currently scheduled to be fully released in September. If the game is of interest to you but you are wary of the early access state, I'd add it to your wishlist and keep an eye on September. I am really looking forward to seeing what comes and am still interested in seeing what the game has to offer.

I don't regret my purchase in the slightest even in its current state.

Ozium

been watching Oculus Rift Reaction videos today

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=INDKNA7kXoo

i haven't tried it yet , but i don't know
seems over reacting

Bp86YxgIEAARvrU.jpg

Deadbeat

Banned
I remember a video of him playing Killzone 2 and he was trying to open the gate with the six axis controls and they werent working. I knew right at that moment in the video that six axis was going to be just as bad in the game's release, and it was.

Vuze

been watching Oculus Rift Reaction videos today

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=INDKNA7kXoo

i haven't tried it yet , but i don't know
seems over reacting

I've watched a long time Rift-buddy streaming more than a few times now and am very excited to try it out soon. He was streaming a horror game yesterday and it was soooo great (for us viewers, not him lol). That Slender reaction in the video was nothing compared to him screaming and shock-quitting the game ahaha

JaseC

gave away the keys to the kingdom.
I remember a video of him playing Killzone 2 and he was trying to open the gate with the six axis controls and they werent working. I knew right at that moment in the video that six axis was going to be just as bad in the game's release, and it was.

Heavenly Sword is the only PS3 game I've ever played that has acceptable SixAxis controls.

The gameplay is great. It's KIND OF like the Arkham series. It's fun and fluid.

Yea, I agree. The story is quite interesting (think along the lines of the HK film Infernal Affairs (or its American remake The Departed). The hand to hand combat is fantastic, and I like some of the parkour-inspired foot chases. The driving and shooting mechanics are average and the hacking can be a little tedious though, but overall its definitely worth to buy during the frequent sqeenix sales.

rtcn63

There are quite a few games on the Wii I'd have finished by now, if it weren't for the forced motion controls. It's not that the the implementation is necessary terrible, I'm just not fond of them either way in most cases.

Hanzou

It strikes me as weird that you have to open the console to get the 360 controller working. It's a cross console game and would seem perfect to show off big screen mode. Almost every other game switches back and forth fine. Makes no sense that csgo does not.

Motion controls of any kind are the devil.

I got into this hobby/lifestyle not to move around and get sweaty.

There are quite a few games on the Wii I'd have finished by now, if it weren't for the forced motion controls. It's not that the the implementation is necessary terrible, I'm just not fond of them either way in most cases.

Yep. I'm happy that motion controls and 3D were fads that have disappeared again.

yesterday i tried to play counter strike GO with my xbox 360 controller but i couldnt control the camera with the right analog for some reason :S , why is that??

Cause the game is stupid.
You have to enable the console... and there's a command you have to issue.

Code:
exec controller.360.cfg

i got it now , you have to open the console and type exec controller.360.cfg , i think you have to do it every time you open the game but is not that hard to do

Yes. You have to do it every time you open the game.

JaseC

gave away the keys to the kingdom.
Journey had decent sixaxis controls but they were unnecessary. It was nothing that the second analog couldn't do.

Journey is high up on the list of PS3 exclusives I've yet to play. At this point I'll probably just wait for the PS Now release and play it via the PS4.

yGray

Banned
Journey is high up on the list of PS3 exclusives I've yet to play. At this point I'll probably just wait for the PS Now release and play it via the PS4.

Yeah I would say the best part of playing Journey was the random multiplayer encounter which is only likely to happen when the game is being purchased a lot.

Yea I always get really quiet and look the other way when people start talking about Journey. I own it, I'm just ashamed to admit I never got around to playing it.

Genki

Motion controls of any kind are the devil.

I got into this hobby/lifestyle not to move around and get sweaty.

I recently started playing ITG again and it's awesome. But, the sweating really, really sucks.

Even though it's just a Stepmania off-shoot I wish Pulsen would get greenlit.... I mean considering all the garbage that gets released nowadays....

Jawmuncher

Still don't know why Valve hasn't fixed the controller issue for GO.
Having to do that prompt every time is pretty bad.
Sure it might not be very viable competitively, but if someone wants to play with it let them.
They shouldn't have to go through s loop like that/.

Yea I always get really quiet and look the other way when people start talking about Journey. I own it, I'm just ashamed to admit I never got around to playing it.

Tried to play it when I was sick and ended up falling asleep. Have been meaning to go back to it.

Love the Title for this thread.

It's actually very smart. It's just trying to stop you from making a huge mistake.

Not really. It's literally another bug at Valve just hasn't fixed yet. Consider they ported the game to both x360 and PS3 AND claim partial controller support, I'd say it's pretty stupid that people who wish to use a controller have to go find console commands and jump through hoops before they can plan the game.

That said, some people like kb/m and some like controllers. To the people who prefer controllers the idea/concept/ability to use a kb/m for an FPS is probably as foreign to them as the idea/concept/ability to use a controller for an FPS is to you.

The one thing you DON'T see pad users doing, however, is running around preaching that their choice of input is superior and everyone should be converted. Now maybe it's because I'm a bit cranky this morning, but your response is reminding me of the people who show up in the steam community threads where gamers ask for help on getting their controller to work and turn it into a flame war about controller vs. kb/m. I'm going to go ahead and guess that the percentage of people who want to use a controller reading those posts who then choose to use kb/m instead is probably pretty low. Hell, my warnings to people about the quality of Strider have probably done more good. :p

Still don't know why Valve hasn't fixed the controller issue for GO.
Having to do that prompt every time is pretty bad.
Sure it might not be very viable competitively, but if someone wants to play with it let them.
They shouldn't have to go through s loop like that/.

I don't know about that -- I've played some CS:GO games where once I get used to it and "warm up", I'm towards the top of the leaderboards on a lot of rounds. Granted, this is in the land of casual, I think, but considering how closed-minded and anti-new player the people in casual are, I have no desire to play the game half the time, let alone go venturing into competitive play.

Enco

Is there any way to disable the DLC ad that pops up every time you load Darksiders 2?

Really really annoying. Same with the dumb 'make an account' ad.

yGray

Banned
I take it back. I really only liked playing with the sixaxis. You rarely ever have to change your camera radically to use the right analog stick.

_hekk05

Banned
I found out about the local Ti4 Pubstomps too late and now all the tickets are long gone. It was my only hope of getting Ti4 merch too.

Jawmuncher

I don't know about that -- I've played some CS:GO games where once I get used to it and "warm up", I'm towards the top of the leaderboards on a lot of rounds. Granted, this is in the land of casual, I think, but considering how closed-minded and anti-new player the people in casual are, I have no desire to play the game half the time, let alone go venturing into competitive play.

I still play a lot of my FPSs with a pad. I just threw that in there as more of a covering the bases sort of thing. I still remember the PC Gamer article with Halo 1 on PC where they had KB&M versus controllers. Recall the verdict was "they're both fine choices" and people were mad that KB&M didn't dominate.

jblank83

The one thing you DON'T see pad users doing, however, is running around preaching that their choice of input is superior and everyone should be converted.

They'd have a tough time doing that, considering their choice of input is an objectively inferior input device for x-y pointer movement.

Now maybe it's because I'm a bit cranky this morning...

Have some coffee, or a nice cup of tea. Dark chocolate is nice, also.

I still remember the PC Gamer article with Halo 1 on PC where they had KB&M versus controllers. Recall the verdict was "they're both fine choices"...

What a hard hitting article.

Rhaknar

The Steam equivalent of the drunk friend who keeps offering to pay your tab all night.
whoever decided not to let you skip boss dialogue in Strider needs to be slapped at least 7 times

I want a simple and relaxing game, does JE contains huge locations, a lot of side-quests etc? I loved KOTOR games to the death, but now I'm in the mood for short and simple games (not that JE is complicated, but I'm searching a linear experience).

Sounds like you should play Jade Empire.

I really should someday also. I like Biowares older games, but I never touched Jade Empire for some reason.

It's the weakest of their older stuff, but it's still definitely worth playing if you're into Bioware games.

Jawmuncher

I want a simple and relaxing game, does JE contains huge locations, a lot of side-quests etc? I loved KOTOR games to the death, but now I'm in the mood for short and simple games (not that JE is complicated, but I'm searching a linear experience).

It definitely isn't going to fit that linear or short experience you want.
Well maybe not in the length depending on just how short you're looking for.
Don't recall the side quests becoming outrageous though.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom