• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

STEAM | July 2014-3 – Let Off Some STEAM Bennett

Status
Not open for further replies.
from facepunch

That controller is starting to look like it requires a B.S. Degree to operate.

Valve only just a few weeks ago added a sortas flag that allows publishers to control how apps are ordered in the client. It'll likely be quite a while before users are afforded the same functionality.

That's at least a step in the right direction. As long as all my AssCreeds are in a row, we're ok for now.

ShogunX

Another Spare.

ModBot said:
Instructions for participants:
I am giving away a Steam key. To enter this giveaway, send a PM to ModBot with any subject line. In the body, copy and paste the entire line from the message below containing the game you want to enter for. Confused? Watch this GIF tutorial or ask for help.

ModBot Basics:
- I really appreciate thank you messages, but please send them to me (ShogunX, not ModBot!) via PM instead of in thread.
- Do not trade keys you win off-site to enrich yourself. Don't try to claim games you have no interest in collecting or playing. Don't claim games to give them to friends off-site.
- If the key is already taken you will not receive a reply. Replies may take a minute or two.

Rules for this Giveaway:
- If you are a lurker you are not eligible for this giveaway. You need five or more posts in either the current Steam thread or the previous one to be eligible
- This giveaway is a LIGHTNING raffle. The winners will be selected by random draw 15 minutes after the draw was created. Any games not claimed after that point will be given away first come first serve.

The Whispered World Special Edition -- MB-2DEF0AF44DB4FAF7 - Taken by Sub Zero. 7 entrants total.

t1406139816z1.png

Interfectum

Seems like ModBot's "payitforward" rule is working as intended, IMO. Big name giveaways with that rule encourage users to giveaway more games. Everyone wins.

Beelzebubs

Fellow gaffers.
Is there any way anyone here can help me get my game to TotalBicuit?
We sent him a Steam code and we tweeted on our tweeter account a call out but we need more strenght, more numbers! We need MOAR!
It would be so awesome to get a "WTF is..." video of his to push sales.

Can you guys help out? I promise I will do another giveaway if we get there :D
Here is our Tweeter account - https://twitter.com/Nerd_Monkeys
Thanks!

Have to send a mail to his publicist Christian I believe he's called. Should be able to contact him at mailbox@cynicalbrit.com

Metro_2033_Game_Cover.jpg

FEAR THE FUTURE

4 years in the making, I just recently 100%ed Metro 2033, having played through it what must be 8 times now, and I wanted to convince you to play it if you haven't.

It's one of those FPS that knows how a game should feel. The music is subdued, with ambient noise and echoes in the tunnels making up most of the audio, peppered with the sound of gunfire and unearthly screams. Each of the guns has an appropriate kick with their recoil. Every fight feels like a fight for your life, as both you and your enemies could easily die with one mistake. It's tense, it's eerie, and strangely beautiful considering most of the game occurs in tunnels.

Metro is also is part of a trend that I hope continues: the trend of limited hud. On lower difficulties you have what amounts to a weapon wheel and bullet count on screen, but not only can you turn those off, the higher difficulties automatically disable them, meaning the only thing on your screen is a gun model and game, game, game. All of the information you need can be found on your model itself. You can see how many bullets are left in your clip by looking at the clip. You can see how much air you have by how foggy your mask is getting.

So many games just bombard you with information to get you where you need to go, and all Metro gives you is a bullet count. You have your traditional objectives screen, but instead of being a menu, it's an item that you can equip, and to read in the dark you flick on a lighter. How much better is that than pausing the game? ANSWER: A MILLION TIMES BETTER. It also has a compass marker if you need directions, but as you can imagine, taking place largely in metro tunnels, there's usually only one direction to go.

It is indeed a linear shooter, which I usually don't enjoy nearly as much as something like Farcry 3, but again, the feel is just sooooo good as to keep me going. I've played through 8 times in a linear shooter ffs, 40 hours of the same, yet I could probably play through it again. I know every twist and turn, every scripted enemy encounter, how long events last, and it's still fun. Largely due to the enemy's above-average ai in firefights, and the good feel of everything.

That's not to say there's nothing to explore. If you follow the compass marker you'll pass by all these side rooms both above and below ground that could contain the equipment and ammunition you need to survive, because unless you know how to game the barter system, you'll be out of luck when your gun clicks empty with a nazi rifleman at your throat. Limited ammo is a bitch, but it makes you consider every shot as important, which heightens the tension, and it makes exploring worthwhile.

Oh, also, when your revolver clicks empty, not only does it actually click, the cylinder keeps turning. What a good detail that a lot of games miss.

That's something else this game has: detail. Being a linear and story-based shooter I know makes it easier to do, but there's so much stuff packed into each area. At your home metro station, knocking on doors will prompt your neighbors to answer and greet you. In the stations and out in the field, if you're stealthy enough you can overhear conversations between allies and enemies that can go on for awhile. Standard affairs of the philosophy of their group, horror stories of what happened down a tunnel the other day, modern fairy tales about a magical metro tunnel, or just some dudes saying how their latest target begged for mercy and received none, stuff like that. There's so many objects strewn about each level, no area feels samey or like a corridor that you were just in 5 minutes ago. Each area feels unique, as do almost all of the weapons, and it's great.

No bits about the story here because talking about the early stuff is useless and talking about the late stuff is spoiling one or more parts, so just know that it's pretty good, but not amazing. It is a game based on a book, so the narrative is expected to be good.

Your first time through on any difficulty could take you up to 10 hours. After that, you could easily do a run-through in about 3-5 hours. Know that 100%ing this game is a nightmare if you care about achievements. Like I said, it took me 40 hours, and even then I was lucky to get them all.

Time to put it at the front of your backlog if you have it. I'm moving on to Last Light, and hope that it's even better.

I've seen the future, and it left me wanting

I'm waiting for Redux before sinking in.

Rhaknar

The Steam equivalent of the drunk friend who keeps offering to pay your tab all night.
spare

ModBot said:
Instructions for Rhaknar:
Press the quote button to the left of this PM, select the quoted text, copy, and paste in the thread. You can remove these lines from the version you paste.

I am giving away a Steam key. To enter this giveaway, send a PM to ModBot with any subject line. In the body, copy and paste the entire line from the message below containing the game you want to enter for. Confused? Watch this GIF tutorial or ask for help.

ModBot Basics:
- I really appreciate thank you messages, but please send them to me (Rhaknar, not ModBot!) via PM instead of in thread.
- Do not trade keys you win off-site to enrich yourself. Don't try to claim games you have no interest in collecting or playing. Don't claim games to give them to friends off-site.
- If the key is already taken you will not receive a reply. Replies may take a minute or two.

Rules for this Giveaway:
- If you are a lurker you are not eligible for this giveaway. You need five or more posts in either the current Steam thread or the previous one to be eligible

The Chaos Engine -- MB-A1A88F9EE38E820F - Taken by doctorcdcs

What's your avi from. She looks so damn cute, esp. the prev. one where she blushes.
On Chrome, right click ->Search Google for this image
I know :p you told me before. I just cannot help but see Colonel Mustang everytime lol. I gotta check out N.H.K. though so thank you :)
You should. NHK is my favorite animu of all time.

STEAMGAF! Help me choose a game to play right now, the indecision is real. Right now I'm thinking Wolfenstein, Dishonored, Arkham Oranges, Shovel Knight, Shantae, or should I just stop being a bitch and finally get over my Sunbro's death and play some Dark Souls. I wish I really knew how to stream so you guys can witness the fail that is Huguu Souls.
You are weak. Dark Souls II DLC just released! Hurry up and finish DS1!

_hekk05

Banned
What I learned from this is to be shameless and ask for the free copy from now on.

Though secret ponchos is multiplayer only right? I can see populations being pretty low as of now

Madridy

Doing another quick (& shameless :p) giveaway to be eligible for Shadownet's awesome Batman giveaway, Since my Witcher giveaway is a 24hr one.

That reminds me that I should play Batman AO soon

ModBot said:

ModBot Basics:
- I really appreciate thank you messages, but please send them to me (Madridy, not ModBot!) via PM instead of in thread.

Rules for this Giveaway:
- This giveaway is a LIGHTNING raffle. The winners will be selected by random draw 15 minutes after the draw was created. Any games not claimed after that point will be given away first come first serve.

Critter Crunch -- MB-30E91A63AFF03CEC - Taken by Ogedai_Khan. 5 entrants total.

t1406139936z1.png

What I learned from this is to be shameless and ask for the free copy from now on.

Though secret ponchos is multiplayer only right? I can see populations being pretty low as of now

If one pops into my inventory, it's yours if you want it, gooch.
On the condition that you play with me. :p

Sub Zero

his body's cold as ice, but he's got a heart of gold

It's single player only because there's literally only one person playing it right now

Hugstable

Banned
On Chrome, right click ->Search Google for this image

You should. NHK is my favorite animu of all time.

You are weak. Dark Souls II DLC just released! Hurry up and finish DS1!

I will still beat the game! I actually plan to try and stream for maybe an hour later today so everyone can see the hell that is the Tomb of the Giants and Duke's Archives

lashman

Steam-GAF's Official Ambassador to Gaming-GAF
I will still beat the game! I actually plan to try and stream for maybe an hour later today so everyone can see the hell that is the Tomb of the Giants and Duke's Archives

yes ... do a stream ... that would be sooo cool!!! :)

ModBot

Not a mod, just a bot.
Thanks to an anonymous benefactor, I am giving away a Steam key. To enter this giveaway, send a PM to ModBot with any subject line. In the body, copy and paste the entire line from the message below containing the game you want to enter for. Confused? Watch this GIF tutorial or ask for help.

ModBot Basics:

The Chaos Engine -- MB-4F844B0B4E3F99CF - Taken by GaussTek

Seems like ModBot's "payitforward" rule is working as intended, IMO. Big name giveaways with that rule encourage users to giveaway more games. Everyone wins.

I agree. If someone adding Payitforward to a $60 game encourages 60 random people to give away a game, even if it is a bundle game that is worth a dollar or so to the winner, applying that rule just resulted in 60 other people getting free games, right? :p

_hekk05

Banned
If one pops into my inventory, it's yours if you want it, gooch.
On the condition that you play with me. :p

I'll be in the US in 25 days. No more 500 ping when playing with USgaf again hohoho

I'm shameless but not that shameless. You can do whatever you want with your copy if you get it (which includes giving it to me. I said I was shameless lol)

It's single player only because there's literally only one person playing it right now

Oh you.

One of the few indie multiplayers I've seen have a healthy population is Natural Selection 2, and that one had a pre-established fanbase from its mod days.

KenOD

a kinder, gentler sort of Scrooge
Hello SteamGAF, how are you?

I'm slighty miffed. Everyone talking about some rich guy named Bruce Wayne as though he is the greatest rich man that dresses in unusual suits and fights crime. Bah to that I say, humbug as well. Scrooge McDuck is richer and been fighting crime since 1889!

You would never see a giant prison built inside of DuckBurg. No, Scrooge simply built a super prison on an asteroid in space that he won from a group of aliens in a space card game instead.

I'm also a little bothered by people acting as if there's something wrong with doing an anonymous giveaway. There are any number of reasons why someone would want to do that.

As an example of a reason, I have hardly been one to be shy about giving away games (made a thread just to do so after all), but sometimes the simple use and auto-posting of the Anonymous command is quite handy and I don't have to worry about it. Especially if I'm giving away a game while on my mobile and I simply don't care to do a copy and paste through touch screen controls.

A game is given and hopefully a game can be enjoyed by whomever takes it, and that's all that really matters.

Massive beta update for the client
Library
Games can now be assigned to more than one category at a time
In desktop library details, list, and small views, games can be multiply selected using shift-click and control-click and certain operations can be performed on the group

Big Picture
Updated various visual styles across Big Picture including focus treatments
Limit daisy wheel input to numeric entries where appropriate
Improved gamepad navigation through checkout
Fixed custom icons for streaming non-Steam games
Fixed crash when enabling parental controls
Fixed scroll bars disappearing on some EULA pages after scrolling to the left
Fixed daisy wheel adding multiple periods after pressing space twice to end a sentence
Fixed automatic capitalization getting stuck enabled in daisy wheel
Fixed a bug preventing the user from changing payment methods if their stored credit card has expired

In-Home Streaming
Added support for NVIDIA hardware encoding for D3D9+ games on GeForce 650+ cards and the latest beta NVIDIA driver (340.43)
Added support for horizontal mouse wheel scrolling
Fixed YUV colorspace conversion when using DXVA2 hardware decoding

Fixed games detecting both local and streaming controllers; streaming controllers take precedence if they are connected.
Fixed being able to scroll the right and bottom edges of a map in certain resolutions
Fixed Steam crash streaming from a host with an i5-3450 CPU
Fixed streaming games from Steam when it has been put in Windows XP compatibility mode

They've really hit a lot of the issues I've had, amazing. I'm not quite used to that from Valve.

Yes, you can Ctrl+click on multiple games, right click and set a category for all of those games at once! :)

Wonderful news. Should make moving games between categories easier as well.

from facepunch

I get the reasoning, but the more they change the closer it gets to just being another controller and not standing out. I really don't want this to be a terrible drawn out joke where in the end it's just a PC Gamepad circa 2003.

Enco

This assumption-- that people give away games for the purpose of entering for other games-- is the problem.

This assumption leads to every giveaway being scrutinized. Why are they giving this game away? How much did it cost them? Why are they giving it away now? Is this giveaway because of PAYITFORWARD, or have they timed it to throttle others from a larger giveaway?

This assumption will eventually lead to JaseC being lynched (and not in the "director of Twin Peaks" sense), because he gives away more games than anyone so his ulterior motives must be nefarious indeed.
Agreed.

I say take it easy and remember why you're giving stuff away.

It's for fun/kindness. No need to stress.

Shadownet

Banned
It shouldn't have continued past s05.

I half agree with this. But I'll take the Winchester Brothers for as long as I can see them on my tv. There are some great moments in the later seasons too.

-----------

There is a new Steam update coming? When is it?

No D-Pad?

No buy.

This makes me want to be a smartass and ask you if you own x360 controllers. :3

I hope they announce it this year. Valve's steam machines partners must ve annoyed by the pace Valve works.

They knew what they were getting into. See: Half Life 2 Episode 3 or Half Life 3.

Sub Zero being Ice Cold.

He's always like that with me. He's either forgetting about me or being straight up cold blooded toward me. I don't think he likes the idea of a second icy ninja in his world.

Beelzebubs

I half agree with this. But I'll take the Winchester Brothers for as long as I can see them on my tv. There are some great moments in the later seasons too.

I disagree. It's justified because Crowley! Also more Castiel stuff, admittedly, leviathan season was weak.

Shadownet

Banned
I disagree. It's justified because Crowley! Also more Castiel stuff, admittedly, leviathan season was weak.

Why do you think I say great moments? More Crowley and Castiel stuff is great. Though if you like the actor that play Crowley. You should watch him in Leverage. He play almost the exact character lol

I mostly agree, but I certainly haven't stopped watching.

I think the past few seasons have been relatively bad, but this past one was actually much better (although the brotherly drama has gotten old).

It's still really entertaining though, and has some great characters. There were some great plots in early days, but these past seasons have generous helpings of Cas and Crowley, so...

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom