• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

STEAM | July 2014-3 – Let Off Some STEAM Bennett

Status
Not open for further replies.

Madridy

I wanted to give these amazing RPGs for the people that didn't get the chance to play them yet, and they should have plenty of time before the third game (GOTG) is released.

ModBot said:
Instructions for participants:
I am giving away 2 Steam keys. To enter this giveaway, send a PM to ModBot with any subject line. In the body, copy and paste the entire line from the message below that corresponds to the game you want. (if you include more than one game, you will be blocked from entering). Confused? Watch this GIF tutorial or ask for help.

ModBot Basics:
- I really appreciate thank you messages, but please send them to me (Madridy, not ModBot!) via PM instead of in thread.
- Do not trade keys you win off-site to enrich yourself. Don't try to claim games you have no interest in collecting or playing. Don't claim games to give them to friends off-site.
- If the key is already taken you will not receive a reply. Replies may take a minute or two.

Rules for this Giveaway:
- You must have given away a game through ModBot to become eligible for this giveaway.
- If you are a lurker you are not eligible for this giveaway. You need five or more posts in either the current Steam thread or the previous one to be eligible
- This giveaway is a raffle. The winners will be selected by random draw 24 hours after the draw was created. Any games not claimed after that point will be given away first come first serve.

The Witcher -- MB-D6FB2369CE0C729E - Taken by InvisibleStride. 15 entrants total.
The Witcher 2: Assassins of Kings -- MB-5E9A58596EA2AA97 - Taken by BorntoPlay. 21 entrants total.

t1406223457z1.png

Good luck all, and keep a lookout for the major giveaways I promised coming in the next few days!

Also Please add me on Steam: http://steamcommunity.com/profiles/76561197996508504/

Caerith

I understand why some people think its dodgy when you give away a free game to enter for a bigger game but I don't think it's anything too serious.
This assumption-- that people give away games for the purpose of entering for other games-- is the problem.

This assumption leads to every giveaway being scrutinized. Why are they giving this game away? How much did it cost them? Why are they giving it away now? Is this giveaway because of PAYITFORWARD, or have they timed it to throttle others from a larger giveaway?

This assumption will eventually lead to JaseC being lynched (and not in the "director of Twin Peaks" sense), because he gives away more games than anyone so his ulterior motives must be nefarious indeed.

Personally, I appreciate bundle leftover giveaways. Lots of times, I have interest in a single game from a bundle, but it doesn't seem worth getting the whole bundle for it.

I won two keys today, so thank you guys for sending them out there. That's things I can now remove from my wishlist.

Shadownet

Banned
post-25067-And-Here-We-Go-Joker-gif-Imgur-x71M.gif

ModBot said:
Instructions for Bruce Wayne

If you win this, PM me afterward. Goodluck! (You're getting a copy once preorder is available)

I am giving away a Steam key. To enter this giveaway, send a PM to ModBot with any subject line. In the body, copy and paste the entire line from the message below containing the game you want to enter for. Confused? Watch this GIF tutorial or ask for help.

ModBot Basics:
- This giveaway has a manual blocklist. The giver has identified members who abuse giveaways and restricted them from participating.
- I really appreciate thank you messages, but please send them to me (Shadownet, not ModBot!) via PM instead of in thread.
- Do not trade keys you win off-site to enrich yourself. Don't try to claim games you have no interest in collecting or playing. Don't claim games to give them to friends off-site.
- If the key is already taken you will not receive a reply. Replies may take a minute or two.

Rules for this Giveaway:
- Pay it forward. You can only win this game if you've given away a game since you last won a game (minimum one total giveaway).
- This giveaway is a raffle. The winners will be selected by random draw 24 hours after the draw was created. Any games not claimed after that point will be given away first come first serve.

Batman Arkham Knight -- MB-E9C33E1E6E3647AD - Taken by Man Puncher. 160 entrants total.

t1406206296z1.png

inm8num2

Cool, any news on when KS backers will be getting keys?

Backers already have Humble pages tied to their reward levels and corresponding KS emails, so at the very least that's how they will distribute keys. As for when, perhaps they'll announce more info in the next week or two.

yGray

Banned
I wanted to give these amazing RPGs for the people that didn't get the chance to play them yet, and they should have plenty of time before the third game (GOTG) is released.

Good luck all, and keep a lookout for the major giveaways I promised coming in the next few days!

Also Please add me on Steam: http://steamcommunity.com/profiles/76561197996508504/
Great giveaway. I already have those games but more people definitely need to play them

Repost + extra Gun Monkeys from my inventory.

ModBot said:
I am giving away 2 Steam keys. To enter this giveaway, send a PM to ModBot with any subject line. In the body, copy and paste the entire line from the message below that corresponds to the game you want. (if you include more than one game, you will be blocked from entering). Confused? Watch this GIF tutorial or ask for help.

ModBot Basics:

Thief Gold -- MB-67AC629E89117431 - Taken by deadflower81
Gun Monkeys -- MB-0DCDB01E849A1875 - Taken by Cozmogramma

By the way, there were some errors processing your keys...
Note: The key you added for Thief Gold was already listed in ModBot from a previous giveaway of yours, but was not taken. Updating key info to match new giveaway.

Shadownet

Banned
This assumption-- that people give away games for the purpose of entering for other games-- is the problem.

This assumption leads to every giveaway being scrutinized. Why are they giving this game away? How much did it cost them? Why are they giving it away now? Is this giveaway because of PAYITFORWARD, or have they timed it to throttle others from a larger giveaway?

This assumption will eventually lead to JaseC being lynched (and not in the "director of Twin Peaks" sense), because he gives away more games than anyone so his ulterior motives must be nefarious indeed.

no one. i mean no one will ever lynched JaseC or nbnt or anyone else. its ridiculous.

FtHTiny

Done with the Souls dlc.
One of the bosses disappointed me, the rest are good.
Area is great and now the wait begins for the next one.

Sub Zero

his body's cold as ice, but he's got a heart of gold
I was having a talk with Shadownet before he posted his Arkham Knight giveaway and urged him to use the Payitforward rule because it would cause mayhem in the thread. I was right

Terra_Ex

Backers already have Humble pages tied to their reward levels and corresponding KS emails, so at the very least that's how they will distribute keys. As for when, perhaps they'll announce more info in the next week or two.
Ah, so they're doing it that way. I'll have to check out my humble profile page, thanks.

Nzyme32

Great giveaway Shadownet!! I will be abstaining till I am employed and good to do big giveaways. Whoever wins better be grateful!

Shadownet

Banned
I was having a talk with Shadownet before he posted his Arkham Knight giveaway and urged him to use the Payitforward rule because it would cause mayhem in the thread. I was right

Why do I still listen to you? You're the Prince of Darkness.

On another note, I just came back from the bathroom and there was a copy of Secret Ponchos in my inventory? 0.o It wasn't a gift. It was just sitting there.

-------------
That last part was a joke. It's the parts before it that aren't.

You're right though.
26807-Emma-Stone-eh-gif-EcP5.gif

tav7623

Just giving everyone a heads up that there are still 6 unclaimed games from my raffle earlier this afternoon, if you are interested here is the link.

holy shit. I didn't even consider this as an option. That's terrible.

you sonofabitch

Beelzebubs

Why do I still listen to you? You're the Prince of Darkness.

On another note, I just came back from the bathroom and there was a copy of Secret Ponchos in my inventory? 0.o It wasn't a gift. It was just sitting there.

-------------

That's weird, when that happens with me it's usually a bundle or something. Secret Ponchos too new for anything like that.

_hekk05

Banned
Fellow gaffers.
Is there any way anyone here can help me get my game to TotalBicuit?
We sent him a Steam code and we tweeted on our tweeter account a call out but we need more strenght, more numbers! We need MOAR!
It would be so awesome to get a "WTF is..." video of his to push sales.

Can you guys help out? I promise I will do another giveaway if we get there :D
Here is our Tweeter account - https://twitter.com/Nerd_Monkeys
Thanks!

If I'm not wrong he says he has way too many games sent to him for review. I also don't think it's a great idea to spam stuff at him just to get him to review your game.

Honestly, just write him an email and hope for the best. If he's interested enough he'll do it. If it doesn't interest him, he won't.

Also wth free secret ponchos? I need to get into some betas.

JaseC

gave away the keys to the kingdom.
One step closer to renaming our library. I can feel it.

Valve only just a few weeks ago added a sortas flag that allows publishers to control how apps are ordered in the client. It'll likely be quite a while before users are afforded the same functionality.

Sub Zero

his body's cold as ice, but he's got a heart of gold
That's weird, when that happens with me it's usually a bundle or something. Secret Ponchos too new for anything like that.

and too dead. I wouldn't be surprised if the devs were giving it away for free to random steam users. Game has flopped pretty hard from what I've seen

alr1ght

bish gets all the credit :)
bookface
ModBot said:
I am giving away a Steam key. To enter this giveaway, send a PM to ModBot with any subject line. In the body, copy and paste the entire line from the message below containing the game you want to enter for. Confused? Watch this GIF tutorial or ask for help.

ModBot Basics:
- I really appreciate thank you messages, but please send them to me (alr1ght, not ModBot!) via PM instead of in thread.

Rules for this Giveaway:
- This giveaway is a LIGHTNING raffle. The winners will be selected by random draw 15 minutes after the draw was created. Any games not claimed after that point will be given away first come first serve.

GTR: Evolution -- MB-B0BEF1D0AD56C744 - Taken by gaiadyne. 3 entrants total.

t1406139636z1.png

Metro_2033_Game_Cover.jpg

FEAR THE FUTURE

4 years in the making, I just recently 100%ed Metro 2033, having played through it what must be 8 times now, and I wanted to convince you to play it if you haven't.

It's one of those FPS that knows how a game should feel. The music is subdued, with ambient noise and echoes in the tunnels making up most of the audio, peppered with the sound of gunfire and unearthly screams. Each of the guns has an appropriate kick with their recoil. Every fight feels like a fight for your life, as both you and your enemies could easily die with one mistake. It's tense, it's eerie, and strangely beautiful considering most of the game occurs in tunnels.

Metro is also is part of a trend that I hope continues: the trend of limited hud. On lower difficulties you have what amounts to a weapon wheel and bullet count on screen, but not only can you turn those off, the higher difficulties automatically disable them, meaning the only thing on your screen is a gun model and game, game, game. All of the information you need can be found on your model itself. You can see how many bullets are left in your clip by looking at the clip. You can see how much air you have by how foggy your mask is getting.

So many games just bombard you with information to get you where you need to go, and all Metro gives you is a bullet count. You have your traditional objectives screen, but instead of being a menu, it's an item that you can equip, and to read in the dark you flick on a lighter. How much better is that than pausing the game? ANSWER: A MILLION TIMES BETTER. It also has a compass marker if you need directions, but as you can imagine, taking place largely in metro tunnels, there's usually only one direction to go.

It is indeed a linear shooter, which I usually don't enjoy nearly as much as something like Farcry 3, but again, the feel is just sooooo good as to keep me going. I've played through 8 times in a linear shooter ffs, 40 hours of the same, yet I could probably play through it again. I know every twist and turn, every scripted enemy encounter, how long events last, and it's still fun. Largely due to the enemy's above-average ai in firefights, and the good feel of everything.

That's not to say there's nothing to explore. If you follow the compass marker you'll pass by all these side rooms both above and below ground that could contain the equipment and ammunition you need to survive, because unless you know how to game the barter system, you'll be out of luck when your gun clicks empty with a nazi rifleman at your throat. Limited ammo is a bitch, but it makes you consider every shot as important, which heightens the tension, and it makes exploring worthwhile.

Oh, also, when your revolver clicks empty, not only does it actually click, the cylinder keeps turning. What a good detail that a lot of games miss.

That's something else this game has: detail. Being a linear and story-based shooter I know makes it easier to do, but there's so much stuff packed into each area. At your home metro station, knocking on doors will prompt your neighbors to answer and greet you. In the stations and out in the field, if you're stealthy enough you can overhear conversations between allies and enemies that can go on for awhile. Standard affairs of the philosophy of their group, horror stories of what happened down a tunnel the other day, modern fairy tales about a magical metro tunnel, or just some dudes saying how their latest target begged for mercy and received none, stuff like that. There's so many objects strewn about each level, no area feels samey or like a corridor that you were just in 5 minutes ago. Each area feels unique, as do almost all of the weapons, and it's great.

No bits about the story here because talking about the early stuff is useless and talking about the late stuff is spoiling one or more parts, so just know that it's pretty good, but not amazing. It is a game based on a book, so the narrative is expected to be good.

Your first time through on any difficulty could take you up to 10 hours. After that, you could easily do a run-through in about 3-5 hours. Know that 100%ing this game is a nightmare if you care about achievements. Like I said, it took me 40 hours, and even then I was lucky to get them all.

Time to put it at the front of your backlog if you have it. I'm moving on to Last Light, and hope that it's even better.

I've seen the future, and it left me wanting

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom