• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

STEAM | July 2014-3 – Let Off Some STEAM Bennett

Status
Not open for further replies.

jshackles

Gentlemen, we can rebuild it. We have the capability to make the world's first enhanced store. Steam will be that store. Better than it was before.
does it finally let me assign one than one game to a category at a time? Because going one by one is a choooooooorrreeeee

Yes, you can Ctrl+click on multiple games, right click and set a category for all of those games at once! :)

fallout

I'm also a little bothered by people acting as if there's something wrong with doing an anonymous giveaway. There are any number of reasons why someone would want to do that.
To some degree, I find a lot of the complaints to be rather nitpicky. Stump has built us a pretty amazing system for giveaways that alleviates concerns with how they used to happen. I'm not saying that it can't still be improved, but if someone is giving away a game, then great! If they don't like the options that ModBot can offer them, then maybe they choose not to give it away. This is also fine. Why do we really need to be any more concerned?

Beelzebubs

I'm also a little bothered by people acting as if there's something wrong with doing an anonymous giveaway. There are any number of reasons why someone would want to do that.

I've learnt my lesson on anonymous giveaways. If somebody wins and it's a gift from your Steam inventory they will still post in the topic that it was you who gave away the anonymous game.

Kinda put a damper on my planned Bad Rats spree last night, they didn't even claim the game! You know the rule if you don't own it and you win it as a Mystery Gift you claim it.

Damn you AcademicSaucer! :p

yuraya

Library
Games can now be assigned to more than one category at a time
In desktop library details, list, and small views, games can be multiply selected using shift-click and control-click and certain operations can be performed on the group

post-24099-well-there-it-is-gif-Jeff-Gold-yNHs.gif

My connection speed is 28mbps download and 6mbps upload, do you think I would be able to stream decently?
You'll be fine at 2.5k - 3k bitrate at 1080p. 720p should also be acceptable. Anything more and Twitch.tv has the (typical) habit of choking on itself. I'd also just limit the framerate of your stream to 30 FPS, because every single 60 FPS stream I saw came with nasty artifacting when the action of a game became moderately busy. Beyond that, just follow the rest of the instructions of that one thread I provided.

Sure, until people start blocking you.

Honestly, I'm not getting why people are so bothered. NOLURKERS incentivizes posting, which leads to a lot of noise in the thread, but also more participation. PAYITFORWARD incentivizes giveaways, which leads to more bundlejunk giveaways, but also more giveaways in general.

If you don't like those results, don't use those rules. If you really want to limit your neat fancy giveaway to big givers, there's already a rule for that, MEGAGIVERSONLY.

Thank you for posting this. People are taking this giveaway stuff way too seriously.
I was thinking of giving away some older bundle games earlier but people assuming you're a cheating criminal that only does it to enter the super mega important big giveaway kind of puts a damper on it.

Knurek

Fellow gaffers.
Is there any way anyone here can help me get my game to TotalBicuit?
We sent him a Steam code and we tweeted on our tweeter account a call out but we need more strenght, more numbers! We need MOAR!
It would be so awesome to get a "WTF is..." video of his to push sales.

Unless you have a plethora of graphical options so that he can talk 5 minutes about them, don't bother with TB.

ModBot

Not a mod, just a bot.
Thanks to an anonymous benefactor, I am giving away a Steam key. To enter this giveaway, send a PM to ModBot with any subject line. In the body, copy and paste the entire line from the message below containing the game you want to enter for. Confused? Watch this GIF tutorial or ask for help.

ModBot Basics:
- Do not trade keys you win off-site to enrich yourself. Don't try to claim games you have no interest in collecting or playing. Don't claim games to give them to friends off-site.
- If the key is already taken you will not receive a reply. Replies may take a minute or two.

Rules for this Giveaway:
- If you are a lurker you are not eligible for this giveaway. You need five or more posts in either the current Steam thread or the previous one to be eligible
- This giveaway is a raffle. The winners will be selected by random draw 3 hours after the draw was created. Any games not claimed after that point will be given away first come first serve.

Gun Monkeys -- MB-53BC7ACE26F6E28B

t1406147556z1.png

Sure, until people start blocking you.

eh. It would be hard to distinguish between someone trolling and just an honest mistake. I 'won' a key yesterday that turned out already used, sent the guy a PM thanking for for the opportunity and letting him know the key was already used. No big deal at all. But if that same situation happens to X number of people from the same person, there really isn't a way to know.

I'm not implying this person did that, simply using the situation as an example.

Not something I'm losing sleep on, just an observation. Personally I agree with the rest of your points...the system seems to work itself out.

From the latest Steam changelog:

Whaaaaaa?

One step closer to renaming our library. I can feel it.

Thank you for posting this. People are taking this giveaway stuff way too seriously.
I was thinking of giving away some older bundle games earlier but people assuming you're a cheating criminal that only does it to enter the super mega important big giveaway kind of puts a damper on it.

Now I get why people do anonymous giveaways.

Now I get why people do anonymous giveaways.

but who gives a shit except people who like to be upset? If someone posts something in a giveaway and it's taken, well, that means that someone out there thought they would like the game enough to enter the giveaway. the giver gives a game away to someone who wants the game.

Isn't that the whole purpose of a giveaway?

maty

LAST 20 MINUTES.

ModBot said:
Instructions for participants:
I am giving away a Steam key. To enter this giveaway, send a PM to ModBot with any subject line. In the body, copy and paste the entire line from the message below containing the game you want to enter for. Confused? Watch this GIF tutorial or ask for help.

ModBot Basics:
- This giveaway has a manual blocklist. The giver has identified members who abuse giveaways and restricted them from participating.
- I really appreciate thank you messages, but please send them to me (bornlivedie, not ModBot!) via PM instead of in thread.
- Do not trade keys you win off-site to enrich yourself. Don't try to claim games you have no interest in collecting or playing. Don't claim games to give them to friends off-site.
- If the key is already taken you will not receive a reply. Replies may take a minute or two.

Rules for this Giveaway:
- If you are a lurker you are not eligible for this giveaway. You need five or more posts in either the current Steam thread or the previous one to be eligible
- This giveaway is a raffle. The winners will be selected by random draw 3 hours after the draw was created. Any games not claimed after that point will be given away first come first serve.

Sonic & All-Stars Racing Transformed -- MB-A9D8AA76DFA904B0 - Taken by alr1ght. 24 entrants total.

t1406138255z1.png

morningbus

Serious Sam is a wicked gahbidge series for chowdaheads.
eh. It would be hard to distinguish between someone trolling and just an honest mistake. I 'won' a key yesterday that turned out already used, sent the guy a PM thanking for for the opportunity and letting him know the key was already used. No big deal at all. But if that same situation happens to X number of people from the same person, there really isn't a way to know.

I'm not implying this person did that, simply using the situation as an example.

Not something I'm losing sleep on, just an observation. Personally I agree with the rest of your points...the system seems to work itself out.

Maybe there could be some function to reply to the modbot PM that the key isn't working and if the reports become excessive, the person will be added to a blocklist?

Enco

Well, this problem rather sorts itself out, doesn't it? If no one wants those games, the giveaway will just sit there with no one claiming it, and the giver won't get any credit to use towards whatever cool game they want to enter for. If someone does want those games, they will get taken and the person will get credit, as they should if they're actually giving things away that someone wants.

If there's an influx of the same bundle games, presumably they won't get claimed.

Yea I agree.

I don't think we should get too worked up over making some crazy intricate rules. The basic rules we have seem enough. These are just giveaways - something done out of kindness. No need to police them to hell and back. Just gotta take it easy.

And looking down on people giving away bundle games is pretty silly. If some one takes the key then the giveaway can be considered a success. Doesn't matter what the game is.

Sure Dead Island Epidemic is free but not everyone has it. There's nothing wrong with giving it away. I understand why some people think its dodgy when you give away a free game to enter for a bigger game but I don't think it's anything too serious.

To me ModBot has always been an official alternative to posting a key in a post.

And ModBot is created to giveaway bundle fodder left on our virtual inventories, instead of using email tags and other silly technics. But I can quite easily say that ModBot giveaways boosted Steam threads to this point. With all the giveaways, and talk about giveaways we fill lots of space. Sales, waifus, saoirses, gifs, game impressions, etc fill the rest. And there is some discussion about steam and enhanced steam which on it's own wouldn't gather even a yearly thread.

Games can now be assigned to more than one category at a time
In desktop library details, list, and small views, games can be multiply selected using shift-click and control-click and certain operations can be performed on the group

About time. How did it take them so long to implement this?

I need some help Gaf.
Battlefield 3 Premium is 10€ ~14$ on nuveem but it won't let me buy it because I am in Germany.

It be so great if someone from US or asia could buy it for me (paypal works).
I will of course pay you beforehand via paypal.
I don't know who to ask directly, JaseC would you be so kind?

Porcupine

I need some help Gaf.
Battlefield 3 Premium is 10€ ~14$ on nuveem but it won't let me buy it because I am in Germany.

It be so great if someone from US or asia could buy it for me (paypal works).
I will of course pay you beforehand via paypal.
I don't know who to ask directly, JaseC would you be so kind?

If you have Paypal it should be no problem to buy this game from Germany. Just bought something from Nuuvem from Germany yesterday.

Fuu

Formerly Alaluef (not Aladuf)
I may finally start using categories now. Tried it twice before and just gave up because of how much of a hassle it was.

edit: I should give depressurizer a try.

If you have Paypal it should be no problem to buy this game from Germany. Just bought something from Nuuvem from Germany yesterday.
I have bought many things on Nuveem via Paypal before, too.
It's just that some games are locked out for specific regions. E.g. I wanted to buy Civ IV Complete a couple weeks ago but it wouldn't let me.
Feels bad having no friends in USA to rely on in such situations :(

I may finally start using categories now. Tried it twice before and just gave up because of how much of a hassle it was.

DEPRESSURIZER.
it's a little buggy, but it's hands down the best way to attempt to make use of Steam categories in your library.

Wait a tic...

I... I... I'm dead, aren't I?

There was a horrific accident as I was driving to work... and I didn't make it, right?

----

Has anyone bought the new IndieRoyale?
Can you tell me if it comes with the Stealh Bastard DLC? And the soundtrack (even if it's not on Steam?)

Vazduh

It's just that some games are locked out for specific regions. E.g. I wanted to buy Civ IV Complete a couple weeks ago but it wouldn't let me.

I guess you haven't heard of this add-on: Hola

Porcupine

Ah I see, didn't know that there were restrictions for specific games, didn't have it in the past. Maybe VPN?

Tizoc

Unless you have a plethora of graphical options so that he can talk 5 minutes about them, don't bother with TB.
Lol yeah he does put time talking about graphics option in much of his videos. However he liked one finger death punch despite its basic graphics option.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom