• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

STEAM | July 2014-3 – Let Off Some STEAM Bennett

Status
Not open for further replies.

Tizoc

header.jpg

Okay, so here's some early impressions on Yaiba: Ninja Gaiden Z before I have to leave for the next couple hours. Keep in mind that I'm no reviewer, and commenting on games pros and cons are not my strong suit at all and I'm only up through the first couple of stages.

Frost compared Yaiba to a Musou game + the humor of Borderlands. I'd say that's fairly accurate, actually. Yaiba is a game that doesn't take itself seriously at all, and that's a good thing. I, like many others here, saw how Yaiba was reviewed and many folks online cautioned to avoid this game. The types of comments and reviews I've seen are things I'd save for a game that is broken, that is such an unpleasant mess to play that it's not worth the time or effort.

And let me tell you folks, that is some grade A bullshit. The controls for this game are so fluid that I would put it right up there with Metal Gear Rising in terms of responsiveness. Things just flow so smoothly together that it's a joy to play, it really is. It also comes across as brutally unforgiving. The bit about comparing it to Musou? That ain't a joke. At any given time you could be fighting 10-15+ enemies at once, with a combat system that any Ninja Gaiden Black fan would appreciate. Not to mention, even up through the second stage you'll be fighting those regular hordes of enemies with multiples of enemies that could be classified as mini-bosses. That block button will be your best friend.

I can understand of the humor and style of the game isn't for everyone and thats okay. Don't completely write it off for that though, give it a chance and you just might find that it really is a solid action game.

I'll post some more detailed impressions at a later date, possibly once I've cleared the campaign.

Oh, and to quote Frost: You might want to start on normal. Just sayin`.

I made the OT for the game and agree with some of the stuff you wrote. It's a shame though that many looked at it as a 'Ninja Gaiden' game and expected it to be like the previous 2 there were on the X-box, and wrote it off, especially when it came to the humor, which I thought was OK.

I beat the game on Normal and got some cheevos, but overall wasn't all that impressed with it.
If you want a Musou-like game, consider this one, but only at around $10-15ish. It running at 60 FPS is a great bonus too. Oh and to add? Total Biscuit didn't seem to hate it from his video review of it.

RionaaM

Unconfirmed Member
header_586x192.jpg

Serious Sam 3: BFE
(Up to 16 players) *This can start at anytime depends on who is hosting and when there is enough people*

1. morningbus (hosting)
  2. Hugstable
  3. ricochetguro
  4. Deitus
  5. lashman
  6. The Dear Leader (40oz)
  7. PrematureQuiche
  8. Empty Spot
  9. Empty Spot
  10. Empty Spot
SS3 tempts me. Would you guys mind if I joined tonight? I'd even be able to speak, though I don't think I will due to being so shy and having a terrible accent.

I believe that that is already underway.

no shit? awesome.

It's already been mentioned that an OT for game night is coming tonight or tomorrow.

excellent...must've missed that.

Perfect. Hopefully I can get something together soon for those interested.

That's sweet dude...I would definetely be interested in that. You may have already gone over this, but if there is a way to check if card drop > 1 and loop through the list that would be awesome.

for (item in list) {
if card drop > 1 {
wait 2 hours
close appid
wait 30 seconds
}}

Not sure if that's checkable though.

SS3 tempts me. Would you guys mind if I joined tonight? I'd even be able to speak, though I don't think I will due to being so shy and having a terrible accent.

i'm pretty sure CorrosiveFrost didn't speak either in earlier streams!! so you should be fine! Also don't think anyone will make fun of your accent!

RionaaM

Unconfirmed Member
header.jpg

Okay, so here's some early impressions on Yaiba: Ninja Gaiden Z before I have to leave for the next couple hours. Keep in mind that I'm no reviewer, and commenting on games pros and cons are not my strong suit at all and I'm only up through the first couple of stages.

Frost compared Yaiba to a Musou game + the humor of Borderlands. I'd say that's fairly accurate, actually. Yaiba is a game that doesn't take itself seriously at all, and that's a good thing. I, like many others here, saw how Yaiba was reviewed and many folks online cautioned to avoid this game. The types of comments and reviews I've seen are things I'd save for a game that is broken, that is such an unpleasant mess to play that it's not worth the time or effort.

And let me tell you folks, that is some grade A bullshit. The controls for this game are so fluid that I would put it right up there with Metal Gear Rising in terms of responsiveness. Things just flow so smoothly together that it's a joy to play, it really is. It also comes across as brutally unforgiving. The bit about comparing it to Musou? That ain't a joke. At any given time you could be fighting 10-15+ enemies at once, with a combat system that any Ninja Gaiden Black fan would appreciate. Not to mention, even up through the second stage you'll be fighting those regular hordes of enemies with multiples of enemies that could be classified as mini-bosses. That block button will be your best friend.

I can understand of the humor and style of the game isn't for everyone and thats okay. Don't completely write it off for that though, give it a chance and you just might find that it really is a solid action game.

I'll post some more detailed impressions at a later date, possibly once I've cleared the campaign.

Oh, and to quote Frost: You might want to start on normal. Just sayin`.
This makes it sound like an enjoyable game. I'll have to put in on my wishlist thanks to these opinions.

Deitus

Feel free to join. I'm pretty sure there is in game text chat if you can't use voice, but it's really not a game that requires a lot of teamwork anyway.

But don't feel bad about having an accent. I've played games and voice chatted with people that spoke English as a second or third language before. It's really not something to be ashamed about, and no one will give you a hard time about it. It only really matters if we can understand you or not. But do whatever makes you comfortable.

RionaaM

Unconfirmed Member
i'm pretty sure CorrosiveFrost didn't speak either in earlier streams!! so you should be fine! Also don't think anyone will make fun of your accent!
Oh, it's not that I think you guys will make fun of me (you are awesome and wouldn't do such a thing!), but I'm embarrassed anyway.

Feel free to join. I'm pretty sure there is in game text chat if you can't use voice, but it's really not a game that requires a lot of teamwork anyway.

But don't feel bad about having an accent. I've played games and voice chatted with people that spoke English as a second or third language before. It's really not something to be ashamed about, and no one will give you a hard time about it. It only really matters if we can understand you or not. But do whatever makes you comfortable.
Mmm... I'd like to speak someday. Maybe it's good to do the uncomfortable from time to time, just to try new things and expand one's horizons or something uplifting like that.

ModBot

Not a mod, just a bot.
Thanks to an anonymous benefactor, I am giving away 4 Steam keys. To enter this giveaway, send a PM to ModBot with any subject line. In the body, copy and paste the entire line from the message below that corresponds to the game you want. (if you include more than one game, you will be blocked from entering). Confused? Watch this GIF tutorial or ask for help.

ModBot Basics:
- Do not trade keys you win off-site to enrich yourself.
- If the key is already taken you will not receive a reply. Replies may take a minute or two.

Rules for this Giveaway:
- This is a garbage dump. No other rules apply, you may claim as many as you want (there are no limits or throttles), and keys you win won't be counted as wins for your record. Do not SELL these keys for a profit.

The Samaritan Paradox (Steam) -- MB-FD27139DE7085EF9 - Taken by NightmareTrigger
ulgzbKC.png
Chester (Desura) -- MB-AD7839D7FC8EB8FE - Taken by Darth Kupi
(? NOT SURE IF USED) 8-Bit Commando (Steam) -- MB-E68B1603085D5CDD - Taken by pupo
Survivor Squad (Steam) -- MB-207AEB26B86D3470 - Taken by Kuroyume

gg minecraft
Which games are fun to watch someone else play? I never watch Let's Plays so I can't differ.
[...]
Games to look forward to
Lords of the Fallen
Wasteland 2
Phoenix Wright Trilogy
The Phoenix Wright from NDS fame? It's coming to PC? That's surprisingly good news.
Hope they keep the charming pixelized look to them.
Might be a good idea to make a thread at this point for game night, or send requests for slots through PM's.
I always thought the Steam ID Thread was meant for that, as it had this in the OP:
You can also use this thread to request help in games or if you just want someone to play with you in co-op/multiplayer.
But this aspect never took off there, so even I didn't use it for that purpose. Threads deady anyway. Let's see how a separate thread will work out.
How is Yaiba of a game? It didn't get much coverage, so my knowledge of the game is very limited; only saw the reveal and another trailer tbh. You liking it makes me interested.
Had the impression it's a Revengeance-style game with a comical theme to it.
I can see, I can play games now! DRUGS, GLORIOUS DRUGS!
Get well soon. Playing games or watching the PC screen when having a flu is disastrous for my head-aches, so I hope you are not the same.

Deitus

Oh, it's not that I think you guys will make fun of me (you are awesome and wouldn't do such a thing!), but I'm embarrassed anyway.

Mmm... I'd like to speak someday. Maybe it's good to do the uncomfortable from time to time, just to try new things and expand one's horizons or something uplifting like that.

That's fair enough. Game night is about having fun, so I wouldn't want to pressure you or make you feel uncomfortable.

But yeah, I understand the struggle between not wanting to put yourself in uncomfortable situations, and also wanting to push yourself outside your comfort zone at times. I have quite a bit of trouble with that myself about various things.

Stumpokapow

listen to the mad man
So I can't test this code because I don't have SAM or a Windows computer to run it on right now, but this theoretically does the automatic idle processing thing jshackles was talking about. (IE it idles every single game you have card drops left in until you have no more card drops left)

idler.py
Code:
import requests
import cookielib
import bs4
import time
import os

try:
	authData={}
	execfile("./login.txt",authData)
except:
	print "Error loading config file"
	exit()

def generateCookies():
	global authData
	try:
		cookies = dict(sessionid=authData["sessionid"], steamLogin=authData["steamLogin"])
	except:
		print "Error setting cookies"
		exit()

return cookies

def dropDelay(numDrops):
	if numDrops>1:
		baseDelay = (20*60)
	else:
		baseDelay = (5*60)
	return baseDelay

try:
	cookies = generateCookies()
	r = requests.get(authData["myProfileURL"]+"/badges/",cookies=cookies)
except:
	print "Error reading badge page"
	exit()

try:
	badgesLeft = {}
	badgePageData = bs4.BeautifulSoup(r.text,"html5lib")
	badgeSet = badgePageData.find_all("div",{"class": "badge_title_stats"})
except:
	print "Error finding drop info"
	exit()

for badge in badgeSet:
	try:
		dropCount = badge.find_all("span",{"class": "progress_info_bold"})[0].contents[0]
		if "No card drops" in dropCount:
			continue
		else:
			# Remaining drops
			dropCountInt, junk = dropCount.split(" ",1)
			dropCountInt = int(dropCountInt)
			linkGuess = badge.find_parent().find_parent().find_parent().find_all("a")[0]["href"]
			junk, badgeId = linkGuess.split("/gamecards/",1)
			badgeId = int(badgeId.replace("/",""))
			badgesLeft[badgeId] = dropCountInt
			print "Added badge "+str(badgeId)+" with "+str(dropCountInt)+" drops remaining"
	except:
		#print "Not a card drop badge or some other error"
		continue

for k, v in badgesLeft.items():
	delay = dropDelay(int(v))
	stillHaveDrops=1
	numCycles=50
	try:
		os.system("SAM.Game.exe "+str(k))
	except:
		print "Error launching SAM with game ID "+str(k)
		exit()

while stillHaveDrops==1:
		try:
			time.sleep(delay)
			numCycles-=1
			if numCycles<1: # Sanity check against infinite loop
				stillHaveDrops=0

rBadge = requests.get(authData["myProfileURL"]+"/gamecards/"+str(k)+"/",cookies=cookies)
			indBadgeData = bs4.BeautifulSoup(rBadge.text,"html5lib")
			badgeLeftString = indBadgeData.find_all("span",{"class": "progress_info_bold"})[0].contents[0]
			if "No card drops" in badgeLeftString:
				stillHaveDrops=0
			else:
				dropCountInt, junk = badgeLeftString.split(" ",1) # this line had the wrong variable in my original code posting
				dropCountInt = int(dropCountInt)
				delay = dropDelay(dropCountInt)
		except:
			print "Error checking if drops are done, so moving onto next app"
			break

try:
		os.system("taskkill.exe -im SAM.Game.exe")
	except:
		print "Error killing SAM. Exiting."
		exit()

print "Successfully completed app "+str(k)

print "Successfully completed idling process"

login.txt
Code:
myProfileURL="https://steamcommunity.com/id/stumpo/"
sessionid = ""
steamLogin=""
(Insert your steam cookies there)

You'd need to put the python file, the text file, SAM.Game.exe all in the same folder and taskkill would have to be in your OS path. If it requires some troubleshooting in the main SAM execution loop, then... well... I can't be the one to troubleshoot it, but I'm sure a Python programmer of even modest skill would find this pretty readable.

Tizoc

Yeah that giveaway and the impressions got me interested enough in it to at least wait for a sale. Plus the whole comparison to Musou games sounds awesome.

Pretty sure it isn't and that either corrosive is being generous or found a Russian Ninja to get it for crazy cheap.

Made a search and found nothing, sorry if this has already posted.

New major update on Euro Truck simulator 2

Finally the time has come - Euro Truck Simulator 2 update 1.11 is now officially out on Steam. We are now preparing 1.11 builds for retail game versions, give us a day or two to prepare it all and upload to mirror servers.

It has been quite a long beta period, but we have managed to address a lot of issues thanks to community feedback. If you are interested what had been done during beta, here is a series of patch logs of beta builds fixes.

We have covered items in the 1.11 update over the last several announcements and even have shown here a promo trailer with the new cities included in the update. But in case you have missed it:

Let us shortly recap the major items that are included in ETS2 1.11 update, as it touched pretty much every aspect of the game: physics, AI, simulation, and gameplay refinements:

3 new cities: Venice, Graz, and Klagenfurt with a lot of new kilometers to explore
Seat Adjustment feature
Several months of tweaks of car AI code
Re-designed radio player for with additional sorting and filtering options
New Cruise control features
Displaying current road speed limit in Route Advisor (disable, or switch car or truck speciefic limits in options)
Complete UI facelift
Support for sway bar simulation
Refined the truck suspension for more control over truck and trailer stability
Recalculated the center of gravity of each cargo (more individual behavior of the whole rig)
Controls to adjust trailer stability in options
Improve collisions of player's truck and AI vehicles
Re-created all scratch and crash sounds in the game
Equalized the sound volume of in-cabin engine sounds and external engine sounds for all trucks
More realistic timing for the air brake sound
Retarder indicator is lit during automatic retarder usage
Ability to sell a garage
Ability to relocate your headquarters to another city

If you wish to read the full list of changes for the 1.11 update,
you can do it here[eurotrucksimulator2.com].

Had a couple of hours to kill so I decided to play Sakura Spirit. It was a complete waste of time. The writing is terrible and it's just all terrible.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom