• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

STEAM | July 2014-3 – Let Off Some STEAM Bennett

Status
Not open for further replies.
ßthePenguin;123066529 said:
[URL="http://www.twitch.tv/poucino/]Streaming the game DSix made and released on Steam today, Proxy Blade Zero[/URL] (maybe my stream's lagging, could someone tell me? :>

Looks kind of slow, and the stream was a little pixelated, but other than that, I didn't notice any choppiness or whatever.

Elija2

header.jpg

Sonic & All-Stars Racing Transformed

I'd be down to play Sonic.

lashman

Steam-GAF's Official Ambassador to Gaming-GAF
I would think it would be more relevant if they included an FPS counter for each version. Apparently the worse adds in some frame rate and stutter improvements.

indeed it does ... not for everyone, though ... or at least that's what I've read in the official thread (not on gaf) for the mod ... so - no idea

Strider

Woah SpeedRunners with that exposure. This is great as hopefully a lot more poeple will buy it. Sometimes I have trouble finding games.

ToUJJMZ.png

donny2112

C'mon, it's not like this isn't Steam-related or anything :/

Game organizing technically goes into the Community forum, which users in the Steam thread were already concerned about having the Steam thread be pushed to, anyways. No reason to give more weight to moving the Steam thread into Community.
Plus it may help keep the monthly Steam thread stay a monthly thread! :p

Double

Oh lol I fucked up the link. FIxed it now. Game is hard / I suck. :p
Mh checked the streaming visual quality, I guess it's not the best for a game this fast. but has to suffice :p

ßthePenguin;123066529 said:

Looks kind of slow, and the stream was a little pixelated, but other than that, I didn't notice any choppiness or whatever.
Ya my bandwith doesn't really do it for games with too much motion =( I'm gonna try setting down the resolution.

Before you guys start gaming, have some games:

ModBot said:
Instructions for participants:
I am giving away 3 Steam keys. To enter this giveaway, send a PM to ModBot with any subject line. In the body, copy and paste the entire line from the message below that corresponds to the game you want. (if you include more than one game, you will be blocked from entering). Confused? Watch this GIF tutorial or ask for help.

ModBot Basics:
- This giveaway has a manual blocklist. The giver has identified members who abuse giveaways and restricted them from participating.
- I really appreciate thank you messages, but please send them to me (Dragoon En Regalia, not ModBot!) via PM instead of in thread.
- Do not trade keys you win off-site to enrich yourself. Don't try to claim games you have no interest in collecting or playing. Don't claim games to give them to friends off-site.
- If the key is already taken you will not receive a reply. Replies may take a minute or two.

Rules for this Giveaway:
- Only GAF members who are junior members are eligible for this giveaway.
- If you are a lurker you are not eligible for this giveaway. You need five or more posts in either the current Steam thread or the previous one to be eligible
- This giveaway is a LIGHTNING raffle. The winners will be selected by random draw 15 minutes after the draw was created. Any games not claimed after that point will be given away first come first serve.

Strike Suit Zero vanilla -- MB-C062D05C4E1B45B8 - Taken by gaiadyne. 4 entrants total.
Kairo -- MB-D64984475F88F95D - Taken by S1n1st3r. 2 entrants total.
Papa & Yo -- MB-E08210A8F166C90C - Taken by pupo. 1 entrants total.

t1406587074z1.png
They each end in O.

Shadownet

Banned
Yo Marco if you're reading this. Can you host the 2nd CSGO group? invite everyone from 6-10.

Dunder might play. if he doesn't then please invite animlboogy. he's on reserved. :)

If he cant join you guys then he'll try to make a 3rd CSGO group.

jshackles

Gentlemen, we can rebuild it. We have the capability to make the world's first enhanced store. Steam will be that store. Better than it was before.
Alright so I wrote an idling script and took a lot of shortcuts, but it should work.

Basically, I created a text file of all the appids I need to idle for (one appid per line) and put it in the same folder as SAM.Game.exe

Then I run this batch file:

Code:
for /F "tokens=*" %%A in (apps.txt) do call :process %%A
goto :EOF
:process
@echo Starting SAM for appid %1
start "" "SAM.Game.exe" %1
TIMEOUT 7200
@echo Terminating SAM process for appid %1
taskkill -im SAM.Game.exe
TIMEOUT 30
:EOF

Which basically goes through each appid in the text file, idles that game for 2 hours, kills the SAM process, waits 30 seconds, then starts the next one on the list.

If I keep this running for 19 days, I'll have idled each of my games with card drops for 2 hours each.

The obvious downside is that a) it only idles the game for a flat 2 hours (some games take more time than this) and b) it essentially locks me out of playing games on Steam while it's running, since launching another game might decrease my drop count to 0. It needs some improvement, but it'll be a good start.

Alright so I wrote an idling script and took a lot of shortcuts, but it should work.

Basically, I created a text file of all the appids I need to idle for (one appid per line) and put it in the same folder as SAM.Game.exe

Code:
for /F "tokens=*" %%A in (apps.txt) do call :process %%A
goto :EOF
:process
@echo Starting SAM for appid %1
start "" "SAM.Game.exe" %1
TIMEOUT 7200
@echo Terminating SAM process for appid %1
taskkill -im SAM.Game.exe
TIMEOUT 30
:EOF

Which basically goes through each appid in the text file, idles that game for 2 hours, kills the SAM process, waits 30 seconds, then starts the next one on the list.

If I keep this running for 19 days, I'll have idled each of my games with card drops for 2 hours each.

The obvious downside is that a) it only idles the game for a flat 2 hours (some games take more time than this) and b) it essentially locks me out of playing games on Steam while it's running, since launching another game might decrease my drop count to 0. It needs some improvement, but it'll be a good start.

Someone mentioned before (I forget who, sorry) that if you idle multiple games in SAM and then stop and restart a game each time you get a drop for it, you can get card drops really fast. I've never tested it myself.

MRORANGE

Is GAF Game Night what pushed the #2 July thread up to 20K posts so quickly (and this one nearing 20K, but at least it's end of the month)?

Not really.

C'mon, it's not like this isn't Steam-related or anything :/

But we do move things over when it gets too big for this thread:

Steam Thread
Steam Trading |OT|
GAF Steam ID List
Steam Greenlight
Custom Steam icons for Grid View
Enhanced Steam Discussion Thread - Ideas, Suggestions, and Feedback
Steam Trading Cards
SteamOS
Steam Family Sharing Thread
GAF Steamgifts Group Invite Thread
Steam In-home Streaming Beta
Steam Universe (beta) videos, impressions

I love the fact that people are playing games, it's just that it makes more sense to have a dedicated thread at this point.

jshackles

Gentlemen, we can rebuild it. We have the capability to make the world's first enhanced store. Steam will be that store. Better than it was before.
Someone mentioned before (I forget who, sorry) that if you idle multiple games in SAM and then stop and restart a game each time you get a drop for it, you can get card drops really fast. I've never tested it myself.

I tried this the other day when someone mentioned it, but I didn't have any success. I idled 4 games, got a single card drop after 45 minutes, stopped all 4 SAM windows and reopened them, and didn't get another card drop again after waiting 3 hours. :(

Gurthang

Banned
FEZ

ModBot said:
Instructions for Gurthang:
Press the quote button to the left of this PM, select the quoted text, copy, and paste in the thread. You can remove these lines from the version you paste.

Instructions for participants:
I am giving away a Steam key. To enter this giveaway, send a PM to ModBot with any subject line. In the body, copy and paste the entire line from the message below containing the game you want to enter for. Confused? Watch this GIF tutorial or ask for help.

ModBot Basics:
- I really appreciate thank you messages, but please send them to me (Gurthang, not ModBot!) via PM instead of in thread.
- Do not trade keys you win off-site to enrich yourself. Don't try to claim games you have no interest in collecting or playing. Don't claim games to give them to friends off-site.
- If the key is already taken you will not receive a reply. Replies may take a minute or two.

Rules for this Giveaway:
- This giveaway is a LIGHTNING raffle. The winners will be selected by random draw 15 minutes after the draw was created. Any games not claimed after that point will be given away first come first serve.

FEZ -- MB-F77F27D14E601268 - Taken by TheLight. 1 entrants total.

t1406587854z1.png

[snip]

It seems like you should be able to detect when you get drops by checking the number of items in your inventory. Then, if you knew how many cards each game had, you could idle until your inventory increased by X number of items, kill the process, and continue.

Only problem with that is A.) I'm not sure you can actually get the number of items in someone's inventory and B.) Someone would probably have to create a database of "This game has this many cards". Not to mention that this is all probably web-based, and I doubt anyone would want an idling utility connecting to the internet.

Ideally you would be able to check for the card drops themselves based off a name or card ID, and then add up all the names or IDs for the game so you have a more fool-proof way of telling how many drops you've gotten, but I think that that is probably more impossible than just going by the inventory totals.

Anteater

I think that if you guys are moving gamenight, you guys should/can still talk about the games you played in this thread, like webms and impressions and what not, that's ok right? Because I'm not going to keep up with another thread about those :p

So we're moving game night?

I'll be making an OT for game night either tonight or tomorrow. Probably tomorrow since I want to schedule an actual game time to christen the new thread. :p

Cross posting should be okay between threads but the actual handling of the event should be done in the new one.

t1406588400z1.png

How to join: Quote this post with which game you want to play to reserve a spot, and add me on Steam (if we're not already friends) I'll invite you when the game is starting.

14d68e05_capsule_467x181.jpeg

Counter Strike Global Offensive
(If we have 5 then we do Comp, if we have 10 then we can split into two groups and do Comp or stay as one and do Casual)

1. Shadownet
  2. Phoenix
  3. PAULINK
  4. Junko
  5. InvinsibleStride
  6. Kanokage
  7. Empty Spot
  8. Empty Spot
  9. Empty Spot
  10. Empty Spot

header.jpg

(Up to 10 players) *This can start at anytime depends on who is hosting and when there is enough people*
  1. Empty Spot
  2. Empty Spot
  3. Empty Spot
  4. Empty Spot
  5. Empty Spot
  6. Empty Spot
  7. Empty Spot
  8. Empty Spot
  9. Empty Spot
  10. Empty Spot

header_586x192.jpg

Serious Sam 3: BFE *This can start at anytime depends on who is hosting and when there is enough people*
(Up to 16 players)

1. morningbus
  2. Hugstable
  3. Empty Spot
  4. Empty Spot
  5. Empty Spot
  6. Empty Spot
  7. Empty Spot
  8. Empty Spot
  9. Empty Spot
  10. Empty Spot

I'm down for some CS:GO

jshackles

It seems like you should be able to detect when you get drops by checking the number of items in your inventory. Then, if you knew how many cards each game had, you could idle until your inventory increased by X number of items, kill the process, and continue.

Only problem with that is A.) I'm not sure you can actually get the number of items in someone's inventory and B.) Someone would probably have to create a database of "This game has this many cards". Not to mention that this is all probably web-based, and I doubt anyone would want an idling utility connecting to the internet.

Ideally you would be able to check for the card drops themselves based off a name or card ID, and then add up all the names or IDs for the game so you have a more fool-proof way of telling how many drops you've gotten, but I think that that is probably more impossible than just going by the inventory totals.

While this current script is running, I'm working on a python variant that grabs this information from the web. It'll grab the first game on this page that has card drops remaining, then look at the badge page itself (example) every 2 minutes to see if there are any card drops remaining. When there are no card drops left, it'll kill the SAM process then start over. Should be a lot more time-efficient.

Shadownet

Banned
t1406588400z1.png

How to join: Quote this post with which game you want to play to reserve a spot, and add me on Steam (if we're not already friends) I'll invite you when the game is starting.

14d68e05_capsule_467x181.jpeg

Counter Strike Global Offensive
(If we have 5 then we do Comp, if we have 10 then we can split into two groups and do Comp or stay as one and do Casual)

(1st Group)
  1. Shadownet (hosting)
  2. Phoenix
  3. PAULINK
  4. Junko
  5. Kanokage

(2nd Group)
  6. InvisibleStride
  7. MarcoZombieCannon (hosting)
  8. FromTheFuture
  9. animlboogy
  10. Beelzebubs

header.jpg

(Up to 10 players) *This can start at anytime depends on who is hosting and when there is enough people*
  1. Gurthang (hosting)
  2. salazar547
  3. Elija2
  4. EzioCroft
  5. danielcw
  6. Sharkiller
  7. Empty Spot
  8. Empty Spot
  9. Empty Spot
  10. Empty Spot

header_586x192.jpg

Serious Sam 3: BFE
(Up to 16 players) *This can start at anytime depends on who is hosting and when there is enough people*

1. morningbus (hosting)
  2. Hugstable
  3. ricochetguro
  4. Deitus
  5. lashman
  6. The Dear Leader (40oz)
  7. PrematureQuiche
  8. Empty Spot
  9. Empty Spot
  10. Empty Spot

danielcw

t1406588400z1.png

header.jpg

1. Gurthang
  2. salazar547
  3. Elija2
  4. EzioCroft
  5. Empty Spot
  6. Empty Spot
  7. Empty Spot
  8. Empty Spot
  9. Empty Spot
  10. Empty Spot

I would like to join this group

Status