• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

STEAM | July 2014-3 – Let Off Some STEAM Bennett

Status
Not open for further replies.
I must know where this is from.

Batman parody of Dethklok's Face Fisted

EDIT: ROCKSMITH CUSTOM SONGS HERE I COME!
8KLU9x1.png

Can somebody please insert me into the Trails in the Sky hype train macro next to Knurek? Just a small favor to ask, I hope.
Cross-posting this from the OT. I don't know if Shadownet's unavailable, so I'm putting this out there. Less than three hours to full-on Falcom!

Weird that Capcom made the most famous Leon in games...still won't support them after the Legends 3 fiasco, even if they legitimized my first name.

FloatOn

hearing about Iron Brigade on a podcast makes me want to finally play Iron Brigade. was that GFWL, in which case I really SHOULD play it sooner rather than later?

yes its an old podcast

Iron Brigade is sooo good! Played it back when I had a crummy 360. It oozes double fine charm and it gets bonus points for having loot and customizable mechs. Also, when your pilot is running around pre mission there is a button to salute other pilots in mp.

Sadly I think it is gfwl. Still worth a play and I want double fine to make a sequel so much.

I didn't know Rocksmith customs were so in depth 0.o

Is there a reason Cherub Rock is needed of all songs to use customs? And do the customs work as good for the first game?

Shantom

Reposting before I go to bed:
ModBot said:
Instructions for participants:
I am giving away a Steam key. To enter this giveaway, send a PM to ModBot with any subject line. In the body, copy and paste the entire line from the message below containing the game you want to enter for. Confused? Watch this GIF tutorial or ask for help.

ModBot Basics:
- This giveaway has a manual blocklist. The giver has identified members who abuse giveaways and restricted them from participating.
- I really appreciate thank you messages, but please send them to me (Shantom, not ModBot!) via PM instead of in thread.
- Do not trade keys you win off-site to enrich yourself. Don't try to claim games you have no interest in collecting or playing. Don't claim games to give them to friends off-site.
- If the key is already taken you will not receive a reply. Replies may take a minute or two.

Note: This game hasn't been released yet. I will gift the winner the game on Steam once it's available for purchase.

Rules for this Giveaway:
- This giveaway is a raffle. The winners will be selected by random draw 24 hours after the draw was created. Any games not claimed after that point will be given away first come first serve.

The Legend of Heroes: Trails in the Sky -- MB-FC569E02EA2A517D - Taken by Ogedai_Khan. 224 entrants total.

t1406653000z1.png

BHK3

Banned
If I could edit videos I'd just make videos instead but here's a written review instead. (btw where do you guys get the steam icons from? I just write the games name in google and add steam at the end)

The game is pretty fun, the biggest downsides come to basic design flaws that stretch over the whole game.

Graphics: Incredibily furry, I was honestly uncomfortable playing it at first but I got used to it. You simply can't make a deviantart artstyle without it coming off as incredibly wrong to people that are familiar with the internet. Other than that the animations are smooth but readibility can be a pain, there'll be shit all over the screen which will obscure an enemy who will go a little dark meaning he's dodged into the background behind you than molly whops you for half-all of your HP. The environments are well done and are very pretty.

Gameplay: You learn every move within an hour, the rest of the moves you learn are locked away from you by story barriers and are only for traversal, so the beginning area will sit at 75% discovery until you're halfway through the game because you don't have the abilities needed to reach the chests that have like 1000 gold in them(you'll be swimming in gold very quickly anyway). So yes, the game only has 3 or so combos, fidget your little tails the flying furry pal of fucking rape can learn more moves more than you, which is pretty great.

The game is overall very easy, the entire game is very metroidvania(i hate this term but that's the closest thing I can think of to describe it) so that means big wide open areas with treasure and shit hidden around everywhere. Unfortunatly the areas are too big and your character is too slow, which means you'll be using your moves to traverse faster than wait for the move to cooldown than spin some more to go faster. The game has different difficulty levels that do nothing except increase enemy damage, this is where the gameplay flaws really come in.

The games just way too easy, despite only having 3 combo attacks, spinng your sword and mashing the fidget-kill-everything-on-screen button wipes enemies up like poo on butts. You'll start to feel like it's a chore and you're not really getting anything except gold and blueprints to craft new items(get a craft piece, sell to vendor, he catalogues it, buy infinite amounts) which are useless because you can run by every enemy and go into the next big area and get even better stuff. You level up in terms of strength and defense in a very simple manner, just go into the next area and get the good loot. I played the game on hardcore and it was frustrating, you're basically never going to be at full HP because the slightest hit will do half or more of your lifebar, so yeah you'll be destroying everything in sight, when you do get hit you will die. Yes there are healing items and you get plenty but it becomes a waste healing to full than getting nicked by an enemy that decided not to get stunlocked/staggered(this will happen a lot) and kill you. Bosses are pitiful and behave the same as enemies, so knock them into the air and destroy them unless they decide to ignore your attacks and kill you, turning a 10 second fight into a 2 minute respawn and die ordeal praying the AI just stops fucking cheating. So while my experience is on hardcore, if you play a lower difficulty you might find yourself bored and unchallenged.

Music,story,everything else: It's all fine and passable. Sidequests comprise of "get these 20 chicken feathers I'll give you money" quests along with a big main quest of "WHO AM I WHAT AM I FIGHTING FFFOOOOORRRR" story arc that at least has passable voice acting and nice presentations. Music is nothing special, I usually have it off and listen to my Morgan Page podcasts.

Iron Brigade is sooo good! Played it back when I had a crummy 360. It oozes double fine charm and it gets bonus points for having loot and customizable mechs. Also, when your pilot is running around pre mission there is a button to salute other pilots in mp.

Sadly I think it is gfwl. Still worth a play and I want double fine to make a sequel so much.

It is still GFWL and it's very buggy(still is). From what I know every issue with the game Double Fine blames on Microsoft so who knows when if ever it's gonna get fixed.

I didn't know Rocksmith customs were so in depth 0.o

Is there a reason Cherub Rock is needed of all songs to use customs? And do the customs work as good for the first game?

Cherub Rock was picked because it had the most spread of any DLC being that it came with pre-orders. Customs need at least 1 purchased DLC to read from/make some sort of DLC folder system

Jawmuncher

just wondering when people are going to stop asking to be edited onto an image

I just see it as a celebration of the community. At least it can encompass all.

If I could edit videos I'd just make videos instead but here's a written review instead. (btw where do you guys get the steam icons from? I just write the games name in google and add steam at the end)

The game is pretty fun, the biggest downsides come to basic design flaws that stretch over the whole game.

Graphics: Incredibily furry, I was honestly uncomfortable playing it at first but I got used to it. You simply can't make a deviantart artstyle without it coming off as incredibly wrong to people that are familiar with the internet. Other than that the animations are smooth but readibility can be a pain, there'll be shit all over the screen which will obscure an enemy who will go a little dark meaning he's dodged into the background behind you than molly whops you for half-all of your HP. The environments are well done and are very pretty.

Gameplay: You learn every move within an hour, the rest of the moves you learn are locked away from you by story barriers and are only for traversal, so the beginning area will sit at 75% discovery until you're halfway through the game because you don't have the abilities needed to reach the chests that have like 1000 gold in them(you'll be swimming in gold very quickly anyway). So yes, the game only has 3 or so combos, fidget your little tails the flying furry pal of fucking rape can learn more moves more than you, which is pretty great.

The game is overall very easy, the entire game is very metroidvania(i hate this term but that's the closest thing I can think of to describe it) so that means big wide open areas with treasure and shit hidden around everywhere. Unfortunatly the areas are too big and your character is too slow, which means you'll be using your moves to traverse faster than wait for the move to cooldown than spin some more to go faster. The game has different difficulty levels that do nothing except increase enemy damage, this is where the gameplay flaws really come in.

The games just way too easy, despite only having 3 combo attacks, spinng your sword and mashing the fidget-kill-everything-on-screen button wipes enemies up like poo on butts. You'll start to feel like it's a chore and you're not really getting anything except gold and blueprints to craft new items(get a craft piece, sell to vendor, he catalogues it, buy infinite amounts) which are useless because you can run by every enemy and go into the next big area and get even better stuff. You level up in terms of strength and defense in a very simple manner, just go into the next area and get the good loot. I played the game on hardcore and it was frustrating, you're basically never going to be at full HP because the slightest hit will do half or more of your lifebar, so yeah you'll be destroying everything in sight, when you do get hit you will die. Yes there are healing items and you get plenty but it becomes a waste healing to full than getting nicked by an enemy that decided not to get stunlocked/staggered(this will happen a lot) and kill you. Bosses are pitiful and behave the same as enemies, so knock them into the air and destroy them unless they decide to ignore your attacks and kill you, turning a 10 second fight into a 2 minute respawn and die ordeal praying the AI just stops fucking cheating. So while my experience is on hardcore, if you play a lower difficulty you mighyt find yourself bored and unchallenged.

Music,story,everything else: It's all fine and passable. Sidequests comprise of "get these 20 chicken feathers I'll give you money" quests along with a big main quest of "WHO AM I WHAT AM I FIGHTING FFFOOOOORRRR" story arc that at least has passable voice acting and nice presentations. Music is nothing special, I usually have it off and listen to my Morgan Page podcasts.

Thanks for the impressions on dust. I've been meaning to play it after I had fix the XNA issue I had with it. Oddly enough the easiness makes me want to play it more . Its bad but I've been pretty lazy as of late when it comes to challenges. Only wanting that once in awhile now.

BinaryPork2737

Unconfirmed Member
...when is this hype train crap going to end?

The alpaca stuff died down, didn't it? Give it time.

The backlash against it is going to be glorious, oh yes

People are going to be disappointed because everyone thinks it's some magical thing when it's just a pretty good, solid JRPG. It's not like it has much competition, so of course it's going to be hyped, and some people will inevitably buy it day one, play ten minutes of it, and then whine about it.

Haunted

Just wrote up a post about my love for Electronic Super Joy: Groove City (got it with the currently ongoing Bundlestars Firestorm bundle), for this thread, but decided halfway through that it would probably get more exposure as its own thread - and we didn't have one for ESJ yet.

It's a cool game.

Rhaknar

The Steam equivalent of the drunk friend who keeps offering to pay your tab all night.
Whoa hold the phone.

I thought this was like the last of us of jrpgs when it came to stories actually being good.

The story is good for what it is, a typical "teenagers join elite army unit, one of them has a mysterious past, etc". The game is great, but again, it's not this mind blowing revolutionary jrpg. It does what it does very well, don't get me wrong, but as usual it's being hyped to impossible-to-match levels

jshackles

Gentlemen, we can rebuild it. We have the capability to make the world's first enhanced store. Steam will be that store. Better than it was before.
Stump, you are a programming wizard! I'll try out that card code when I have time, thanks!!

So I've been doing some testing and Stump's code has improper process blocking. Basically, it will launch SAM but then the python code will wait to continue executing until SAM is closed (manually).

I've replaced the os.system command with suprocess.Popen and it seems to be working. I'm doing a few other tweaks to the code so I'll probably repost it when it's a little more shaped up.

Jawmuncher

The story is good for what it is, a typical "teenagers join elite army unit, one of them has a mysterious past, etc". The game is great, but again, it's not this mind blowing revolutionary jrpg. It does what it does very well, don't get me wrong, but as usual it's being hyped to impossible-to-match levels

Well looks like I'm being brought back down to earth now. Guess I'll grab it based on the Region Free discount.

-------------

Man looking at the weekly deals sometimes feels like looking at a really shitty PC games bargain bin. Where maybe 1 good game is at the very bottom of the case.

I mean, none of this asking to have my avatar inserted into an image would have happened if I had a good image editor. Fuck it, I'm going to wrangle this VM of mine and get Paint.NET running.

Rhaknar

The Steam equivalent of the drunk friend who keeps offering to pay your tab all night.
Well looks like I'm being brought back down to earth now. Guess I'll grab it based on the Region Free discount.

have people really been hyping the story as some sort of masterpiece? back when I played it on the vita and asked about it, most people praised the gameplay, not really the story o_O

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom