• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

STEAM | July 2014-3 – Let Off Some STEAM Bennett

Status
Not open for further replies.

BHK3

Banned
Man looking at the weekly deals sometimes feels like looking at a really shitty PC games bargain bin. Where maybe 1 good game is at the very bottom of the case.

Sometimes? I always felt like it was like that, I don't think I've ever seen something passable in the weeklong deals.

CheesecakeRecipe

Stormy Grey
Caught a good handful of requests, so many posts to sift through so if I missed you let me know.

ib0WuDAp0CmlhY.png

Anteater

have people really been hyping the story as some sort of masterpiece? back when I played it on the vita and asked about it, most people praised the gameplay, not really the story o_O

No, judging from the OT people said it's a game that's just really well made for a jrpg. Don't recall people saying it's a master piece or revolutionary or anything.

rtcn63

Whoa hold the phone.

I thought this was like the last of us of jrpgs when it came to stories actually being good.

I don't think such a thing exists. Persona 3 might qualify, if the pacing weren't terrible in the second half. Shadow Hearts wasn't bad, ending was memorable at the least.

Jawmuncher

Well looks like I'm being brought back down to earth now. Guess I'll grab it based on the Region Free discount.

have people really been hyping the story as some sort of masterpiece? back when I played it on the vita and asked about it, most people praised the gameplay, not really the story o_O

I asked the question ages ago back when it came out on PSP. A few people had told me the story was really good which is the only reason I kept it on my radar. I love gameplay as much as the next guy, but ill ways give the nudge to the story side. So you have definitely brought me down from where I was at for the game.

( that multiquote is some inception shit )

2spooky4u

http://youtu.be/ZgtJ3lBNsQ4

MTE

ModBot said:
Instructions for participants:
I am giving away a Steam key. To enter this giveaway, send a PM to ModBot with any subject line. In the body, copy and paste the entire line from the message below containing the game you want to enter for. Confused? Watch this GIF tutorial or ask for help.

ModBot Basics:
- This giveaway has a manual blocklist. The giver has identified members who abuse giveaways and restricted them from participating.
- No need to thank me. Please don't post thank you messages in thread or in PM.
- Do not trade keys you win off-site to enrich yourself. Don't try to claim games you have no interest in collecting or playing. Don't claim games to give them to friends off-site.
- If the key is already taken you will not receive a reply. Replies may take a minute or two.

Rules for this Giveaway:
- If you are a lurker you are not eligible for this giveaway. You need five or more posts in either the current Steam thread or the previous one to be eligible
- This giveaway is a LIGHTNING raffle. The winners will be selected by random draw 15 minutes after the draw was created. Any games not claimed after that point will be given away first come first serve.

The Samaritan Paradox -- MB-A4D7450F06FC99F6 - Taken by StAidan. 2 entrants total.

t1406603034z1.png

I have a bundle addiction.

Rhaknar

The Steam equivalent of the drunk friend who keeps offering to pay your tab all night.
No, judging from the OT people said it's a game that's just really well made for a jrpg. Don't recall people saying it's a master piece or revolutionary or anything.

ah good, because thats exactly what it is, a very well made jrpg... its still a jrpg and has all the jrpg trappings.

Hugstable

Banned

I dont remember anyone saying it was a masterpiece, just a really well done RPG in a time where we dont get much of those right now. It's a very good game with really good music and I'm just excited to play it on a bigger screen than my vita.

I'm actually using nothing as of yet because I still need a real tone cable before I can buy a game. :p

Well, i'd go ahead and start grabbing CDLC's from customsforge. They've got a neat little database where everything is stored with plenty of sorting options. Dozens of songs get uploaded/updated every day, so it's quite a lot to go through at first.

What is tits?

A miserable little bags of sand.

Tellaerin

Ok I'm sitting on the plane now, bye guys!

Have a safe trip! Drop us a line when you arrive!

Man looking at the weekly deals sometimes feels like looking at a really shitty PC games bargain bin. Where maybe 1 good game is at the very bottom of the case.

Meanwhile, I'm frantically idling cards in hopes of scraping together enough for Space Rangers HD before the sale's over. :p (One person's trash is another's treasure, yadda yadda yadda.)

Jawmuncher

Sometimes? I always felt like it was like that, I don't think I've ever seen something passable in the weeklong deals.
While I won't buy something every week.
There seems to be at least one thing that's pretty good just in a general sense. Even if its not my taste.

I don't think such a thing exists. Persona 3 might qualify, if the pacing weren't terrible in the second half. Shadow Hearts wasn't bad, ending was memorable at the least.

Man Persona 3 is what got me back into jrpgs.
Was dissapointed 4 wasn't as good even though I get all kinds of shit for that. Never played shadow hearts but always heard good things. Especially the blue guy with a tentacle on his belly just being an odd enemy. Insert mandatory wish they were on steam comment.

You're not wrong. Hearts of Iron II is supposed to be pretty good though, so I guess it's the one at the bottom of the case :p

Have fun.

Looked at it. Since a mod awhile back had recommended it. I have trouble with CIV5 no way I could play HoI2.

It's United.

Remember to be safe.
From what is up to you.

morningbus

Serious Sam is a wicked gahbidge series for chowdaheads.
I shall guard the gates then.

I've just been informed that some people think I'm hosting a Serious Sam 3 stream-thing. Unfortunately I'm going in order and playing them to completion, so there is still 23 levels of Serious Sam 2 to go before we're there.

Sorry for the confusion. My lawyers are drafting up cease-and-desists to these knock-off Serious Streams as we speak.

Meanwhile, I'm frantically idling cards in hopes of scraping together enough for Space Rangers HD before the sale's over. :p (One person's trash is another's treasure, yadda yadda yadda.)
I haven't spent nearly enough time with Space Rangers HD, should do so at some point. Got discouraged after my only save was during this

Sold a background from the badge for 4.50 or something like that though which is pretty crazy.

I've just been informed that some people think I'm hosting a Serious Sam 3 stream-thing. Unfortunately I'm going in order and playing them to completion, so there is still 23 levels of Serious Sam 2 to go before we're there.

Sorry for the confusion. My lawyers are drafting up cease-and-desists to these knock-off Serious Streams as we speak.
1362713678_black-kid-crying-tear.gif

Edit: Is it still coop?

Jawmuncher

I haven't spent nearly enough time with Space Rangers HD, should do so at some point. Got discouraged after my only save was during

Sold a background from the badge for 4.50 or something like that though which is pretty crazy.

http://s3.amazonaws.com/rapgenius/1362713678_black-kid-crying-tear.gif

Have a safe trip! Drop us a line when you arrive!

After you two mentioned it was surprised to see more than a few gaffers wanted it while I was looking at the page. Can definitely say it's not for me though.

rtcn63

Was dissapointed 4 wasn't as good even though I get all kinds of shit for that. Never played shadow hearts but always heard good things.

P4 was arguably a better "game", with improved pacing, more relatable characters, and less punishing combat. But the story played it relatively safe and the true ending/villain was bleh.

Shadows Hearts is an interesting series- the first games (Koudelka and Shadow Hearts 1) were survival horror themed, while the latter ones were more cartoonish and lighthearted in visual style and er... everything, really.

iosefe

sometimes i wonder why i play with dunder with dunder so much

it's so hard to win, but sometimes you get real close and it feels good, then suddenly bam, Falcon wins.
yet i still learn

man, i love this game.

Lain

It's always been about the world building and story and characters as far as I remember, thanks to how much text there is in the game, how people have different things to say depending on when you talk to them and all that stuff and the writing in the game being better than what is usually expected from JRPGs (I don't think anyone hyped it as a masterpiece story but still more prominent than the rest).
The gameplay is fine but I don't remember people putting it over the rest in general, though I'm sure some found it more interesting than the rest of the game.

This is straight out of the OT:
See, the "not too worried about the story" part is the part that kind of worries ME, because Trails is ALL ABOUT the story. If you're asking about the combat system, you're kind of focusing on the wrong thing, since combat honestly plays second fiddle to story and world development in the case of this particular title (and series). You'll be spending WAY more time talking to NPCs, learning about the world and advancing cutscenes than you will fighting enemies (like, seriously, you'll go for hours without combat on many occasions), and if that's not what you're looking for, Trails may not be the game for you.

Aside from that "long-windedness," though, there is one other reason Trails is often compared to Xenosaga, which I'm surprised no one else has mentioned. In battle, the turn order is shown on the side of the screen, and certain turns have bonuses associated with them (healing, +10% to attack power, guaranteed critical hit, etc.). This applies both to enemies and to allies, but if you can manage to defeat an enemy and knock them off the turn order list, you can re-assign a turn bonus to one of your party members instead,

If a character has enough CP (Craft Points), too, he/she can also boost him/herself into the turn order list on the very next turn, superseding whoever else was supposed to go and bumping everyone down one turn.

This plays out almost exactly like the turn bonus and boosting system seen in Xenosaga Episode I -- and even if you hated the game for its abundance of cutscenes or something, I can't imagine you hated THAT, as that was a really cool battle mechanic, and this makes for a nice homage to it.

So, yeah... it's similar to Xenosaga in that it uses the turn order bonus and boost mechanic from Episode I during battle, and also in that it's very long-winded and story-centric. The former shouldn't be a problem for you, but the latter might -- if you're not up for a lot of reading and a lot of investment into a world and its characters, this probably is one to skip.

-Tom

morningbus

Serious Sam is a wicked gahbidge series for chowdaheads.
LIVE NOW: Serious Stream: http://twitch.tv/morningbus (Join us directly via Steam)

Serious Stream: Serious Sam 1 (Part 2) (youtube)
Serious Stream: Serious Sam Second Encounter (Part 1) (youtube)
Serious Stream: Serious Sam Second Encounter (Part 2) (youtube)
Serious Stream: Serious Sam Second Encounter (Part 3) (youtube)
Serious Stream: Serious Sam 2 (Part 1) (youtube)
Serious Stream: Serious Sam 2 (Part 2) (youtube)

ibcqdbv159S7zH.png

What’s going on here?
SteamGaf sent Morningbus over 6 months worth of M&M cable credit codes. He agreed to stream Serious Sam 1 to 3, a series of games he has often compared unfavorably against a swift kick to the key areas.

But people like Serious Sam? Hell, I like Serious Sam!
Come, sip deep of his essence and let him pull back the veil behind the greatest fraud perpetrated in the history of the world.

Wait…
Just watch the stream.

No, hold up a sec. Why are people giving Morningbus their M&M debit cards I heard so much about?
That M&M promotion initially started off offering both $6 debit cards and $6 cable credits. However, the internet being what it is depleted those cards within just a few weeks of the promotion and now they are only giving away the cable credits. Some people have no need for this type of code and some people are just having fun seeing exactly how far Morningbus can take it.

Can I join in?
Certainly! Just join the Unofficial NeoGAF Mumble server (details here) and join the Serious Stream room. You can also chat through the Twitch.TV link from above.
M&M Scoreboard said:
132 from Jawmuncher
102 from Toki767
102 from Morningbus
90 from Anustart
66 from default two
48 from BinaryPork2737
42 from Cloudius12
42 from Chocobro
36 from Mono
36 from CorrosiveFrost
36 from Stallion Free
36 from shadownet
30 from Mokoi
30 from Xclash
30 from Cheddahz
24 from dot
24 from Gunstarheroes
18 from iosefe
18 from Pickles Spill
24 from Servizio
18 from Myshkin
12 from tylerf
6 from Armoured Priest
6 from Amzin
6 from tiny raptor
6 from thesaucetastic

Total: $1,020 worth of cable bill credits.

# of codes entered: 170.

Big thanks to: default two for 2 codes, jawmuncher for 1 code, Servizio for 1 code, Chocobro for 1 code, Myshkin for 2 codes, and Shadownet 1 code.

derExperte

Top 3 this week: Binary Domain, Depths of Fear :: Knossos and Edna & Harvey: Harvey's New Eyes. Also the Spellforce 2 series. Or Pool Nation. Chainsaw Warrior isn't bad. There are some hidden gems almost every week.

Jawmuncher

that's one kawaii hype train

Just like one of my Japanese animes.

P4 was arguably a better "game", with improved pacing, more relatable characters, and less punishing combat. But the story played it relatively safe and the true ending/villain was bleh.

Shadows Hearts is an interesting series- the first games (Koudelka and Shadow Hearts 1) were survival horror themed, while the latter ones were more cartoonish and lighthearted in visual style and er... everything, really.

That's definitely true about P4.
It was all around better gameplay and pacing wise. But that story in my book really took a hit.

Was checking on SH and I'm guessing the devs are just hanging out with it. Since it seems that's just a game someone could grab and decide to republish and rerelease. Interesting.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom