• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

STEAM | July 2014-3 – Let Off Some STEAM Bennett

Status
Not open for further replies.

Dr Dogg

If anyone would like to try out my new program (which I'm calling "Idle Master") you can get it here: https://github.com/jshackles/idle_master

I'm going to be AFK for a little while with real life stuff, but I'll try to answer any questions I can. Please keep in mind that this is still in really early stages - it may contain bugs or not work for everyone. If you encounter any issues with it, feel free to PM me and I'll try to get back to you as soon as possible.

Hahaha Idle Master brilliant title. See what you done with all the anime guys. Great work jshackles I'll definitely have a peak at this.

has the Game Night OT been put up yet?

If anyone would like to try out my new program (which I'm calling "Idle Master") you can get it here: https://github.com/jshackles/idle_master

I'm going to be AFK for a little while with real life stuff, but I'll try to answer any questions I can. Please keep in mind that this is still in really early stages - it may contain bugs or not work for everyone. If you encounter any issues with it, feel free to PM me and I'll try to get back to you as soon as possible.

Checking it out. Thanks dude

Backlogger

I'll check it out tonight when I get home from work.

idle-hands.jpg

Jawmuncher

I presume that it's safe to use, since it's basically the same as idling your games with SAM which people have been doing since the Trading Card Beta.

With that being said, there are no guarantees. :(

Go big or go home people.
Plus if steam ever does ban for anything they're on valve time so it'll be well after you die.

Some fair points. Unity on a system has its advantages, like better visibility, ease of distribution and in Steams DD case, easier for self-publishing. There are many places where Valve could have handled things different and bad for devs/users and I am glad they didn't. It was not my intention to mark them as a scapegoat for anything, it's just feels weird when shortcomings of console ecosystems get pointed out when every system has some; some more some less. Like I said, I like Steam and prefer PC gaming (only have access to PS3 from time to time). Maybe I went a bit overboard with painting Valve of the harbinger of DRM, when all kinds of DRM where there before them and actually more DRM-free games are available now, even high-profile ones (on Steam to boot and GOG etc.). Growing up with mostly local DRM (keys, cd) I am biased towards online DRM I'll admit. I should change my perception as I see it's not objective enough. But I am an old man.
Personally I see much more trouble with console ecosystems, and I'd always prefer the PC version, so it's doubly weird being called out by some for showing them as the only ones improving and pc/steam only getting worse, ha.
I think the way you presented it originally made it seem worse than it is but really little's changed in practice. Prior to Steam I just made a habit of cracking my games because even CD checks were becoming their own hassle (on top of including more vicious DRM like StarForce), and while games on Steam can also employ their own dumb DRM schemes that I like to avoid on a case by case basis, the most Steam itself ever does is the equivalent of a simple disc check, one that doesn't even require a connection after it's installed and good to go. Just being able to have instant game patching unified across all my games is enough to never make me miss the "good old days" of having to figure out if a game's gotten a patch, find which patch is the right one, figure out if I just need to download the latest one or need to patch it in sequence, and then wait on the FilePlanet queue for 10 minutes.

Although I do find myself kind of put off by their psychological preying with some of their game monetization and platform gamification, but I go back and forth on it. While I dislike it as a whole, it's also managed to profit me personally. I can't complain about getting a $10 weapon skin at the end of a CS:GO match, but when I sell it for my own gain and basically do the exact thing that bothers me in the first place I don't really have a leg to stand on there.

Hugstable

Banned

I wish there was a way to set up registering for the games and groups within the event group itself. Branching that out to an OT would bring a whole bunch of people in to where it would be multiple games all going at once and wouldn't just be us anymore. Plus most of us aren't all that great at CS, so it's fun to play together sometimes. I understand it takes up way too much space sometimes as is right now when pages just become nothing but signups. There has to be a way to easily cut down on how much it is or something. Maybe just the first post about it with the list there and have just that one list and constantly update it in that one post, and have those who want to participate in the game night PM the Game Night head for the night to add them to the list.

ShogunX

Few mins left.

ModBot said:
Instructions for participants:
I am giving away a Steam key. To enter this giveaway, send a PM to ModBot with any subject line. In the body, copy and paste the entire line from the message below containing the game you want to enter for. Confused? Watch this GIF tutorial or ask for help.

ModBot Basics:
- I really appreciate thank you messages, but please send them to me (ShogunX, not ModBot!) via PM instead of in thread.
- Do not trade keys you win off-site to enrich yourself. Don't try to claim games you have no interest in collecting or playing. Don't claim games to give them to friends off-site.
- If the key is already taken you will not receive a reply. Replies may take a minute or two.

Rules for this Giveaway:
- If you are a lurker you are not eligible for this giveaway. You need five or more posts in either the current Steam thread or the previous one to be eligible
- This giveaway is a raffle. The winners will be selected by random draw 3 hours after the draw was created. Any games not claimed after that point will be given away first come first serve.

Whispering Willows -- MB-BEC633BD2BD2F425 - Taken by dirtywhirlwind. 28 entrants total.

t1406675096z1.png

jshackles

Gentlemen, we can rebuild it. We have the capability to make the world's first enhanced store. Steam will be that store. Better than it was before.
Can someone walk me through how to set idle manager up in firefox?

To get your cookie data you'll open the Firefox options, "Privacy" tab, click "Show Cookies...". In the search box you'll enter "steamcommunity" then scroll down until you find the appropriate cookies (steamLogin and sessionid). Copy the content into the settings file.

That's the basic version.

Looks good.
I will try it. :) (it already running)

Creamium

shut uuuuuuuuuuuuuuup
No worries. I've updated my post with pretty pictures. If you haven't claimed it on your account yet give the Humble guys a shout via their support system. They're pretty quick about things and I had my issues sorted out in 8ish hours and someone else in here had their purchase changed to a gift.

Yeah I've contacted support, asked if they'd give me a gift link for accidental second buy. Thanks for the help

Nabs

I wish there was a way to set up registering for the games and groups within the event group itself. Branching that out to an OT would bring a whole bunch of people in to where it would be multiple games all going at once and wouldn't just be us anymore. Plus most of us aren't all that great at CS, so it's fun to play together sometimes. I understand it takes up way too much space sometimes as is right now when pages just become nothing but signups. There has to be a way to easily cut down on how much it is or something. Maybe just the first post about it with the list there and have just that one list and constantly update it in that one post, and have those who want to participate in the game night PM the Game Night head for the night to add them to the list.

That's a good point. That's also why I enjoy playing other games with SteamGAF.

I hope you guys can come up with a solution that doesn't completely remove it from this thread.

I'll probably post it on Friday when I usually schedule a game night.

Personally I would love to see this expand to more than just steamgaf. The more the merrier. There is a way to do it in the group but it's much more convenient for people to just post in a thread that they want to join.

Yeah.. there's probably an online tool or something

I just subscribed to Velvet Sundown and afterwards it has been refusing to launch and disappeared from my steam game list.

Instead I can only see it on my friends game list, who I am game sharing with. But this means I now can't play the game, when my friend is playing anything, as it will just take me to the Velvet Sundown steam store, where nothing happens as I press buy (which is weird, as it's a free to play game...) and I can't launch it anyway

and now Steam is down.

Fuck off Steam.

Rhaknar

The Steam equivalent of the drunk friend who keeps offering to pay your tab all night.
Has there been any rumblings of Wildstar hitting steam? I assume it will just randomly show up one day like FF14 and TESO but would be nice if there was any indication (even tho I hated the beta, but that mmo itch man)

Lunaniem

Has there been any rumblings of Wildstar hitting steam? I assume it will just randomly show up one day like FF14 and TESO but would be nice if there was any indication (even tho I hated the beta, but that mmo itch man)

NCSoft never put up Guild Wars 2 or Aion back up as F2P, chances are low for Wildstar.

Leftover

ModBot said:
Instructions for participants:
I am giving away a Steam key. To enter this giveaway, send a PM to ModBot with any subject line. In the body, copy and paste the entire line from the message below that corresponds to the game you want. (if you include more than one game, you will be blocked from entering). Confused? Watch this GIF tutorial or ask for help.

ModBot Basics:
- This giveaway has a manual blocklist. The giver has identified members who abuse giveaways and restricted them from participating.
- I really appreciate thank you messages, but please send them to me (WinterDemons, not ModBot!) via PM instead of in thread.
- Do not trade keys you win off-site to enrich yourself. Don't try to claim games you have no interest in collecting or playing. Don't claim games to give them to friends off-site.
- If the key is already taken you will not receive a reply. Replies may take a minute or two.

A Virus Named TOM -- MB-7A01CEC33B5987D3 - Taken by JakkuFurosu. 1 entrants total.

Volimar

Okay, I'm a complete idiot, so don't laugh. Am I suppose to click on start.exe or steam-idle.exe when trying to run this program? The first opens a box that says "error loading config file", and the latter does nothing at all.

Coldsun

Banned
Okay, I'm a complete idiot, so don't laugh. Am I suppose to click on start.exe or steam-idle.exe when trying to run this program? The first opens a box that says "error loading config file", and the latter does nothing at all.

Start.exe, be sure to set your settings correctly in the config file first.

MUnited83

For you.

Start.exe. You have to make sure that you have put the correct setting on the config file. You should be fine if you follow https://raw.githubusercontent.com/jshackles/idle_master/master/Setup%20Instructions.pdf to the letter.

Also, is your steam in english?

Caerith

So far so good. Did you say you're working on a sort-by-price algorithm?

We should have a set casual/comp pool so that people can play without a lot of pressure if they don't want it.

Volimar

Edit - Nevermind. I really am an idiot. Was so wrapped up in finding the cookie info, I forgot to add my steamID.

Thanks everyone. Seems to be working fine now.

I think linking to a discussion/thread in the game night group itself would be cleaner than making a separate OT. All the discussion can take place there, and leave the announcements themselves in the thread. If that makes sense.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom