• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

STEAM | July 2014-3 – Let Off Some STEAM Bennett

Status
Not open for further replies.

ModBot

Not a mod, just a bot.
Thanks to an anonymous benefactor, I am giving away 2 Steam keys. To enter this giveaway, send a PM to ModBot with any subject line. In the body, copy and paste the entire line from the message below that corresponds to the game you want. (if you include more than one game, you will be blocked from entering). Confused? Watch this GIF tutorial or ask for help.

ModBot Basics:
- Do not trade keys you win off-site to enrich yourself. Don't try to claim games you have no interest in collecting or playing. Don't claim games to give them to friends off-site.
- If the key is already taken you will not receive a reply. Replies may take a minute or two.

Rules for this Giveaway:
- If you are a lurker you are not eligible for this giveaway. You need five or more posts in either the current Steam thread or the previous one to be eligible
- This giveaway is a raffle. The winners will be selected by random draw 3 hours after the draw was created. Any games not claimed after that point will be given away first come first serve.

SpeedRunners #2 -- MB-96C6F46405B07A7D - Taken by Hanzou. 14 entrants total.
SpeedRunners -- MB-48DBF484DDA97460 - Taken by Elija2. 21 entrants total.

t1406701637z1.png

Ventara

They claim they don't have bandwidth caps at all. My suspicion is once you cross a sufficiently high threshold you get throttled to a very low bandwidth. I'm just curious whether the throttle triggering level is essentially high enough that i'll never touch it, or whether it's something i'll actually have to worry about down the road. Luckily I leave in 2 weeks for a 3-week trip, so if they throttle me for August based on my Great Belated Steam Summer Sale Haul Download-O-Rama, I don't really care as I won't be around anyways.

Ah, I see. I use Rogers, and they charge $2/GB for going over, so going past my cap is a definite no-no.

Ah, I see. I use Rogers, and they charge $2/GB for going over, so going past my cap is a definite no-no.

Ah, a fellow tortured soul! I remember deciding to pay the charges up to the max one month and getting around 1 TB of downloads crammed in; left my computer on 24/7. I think they raised the maximum charge now.

Rudakus

what's so amazing about speedrunners

genuinely asking, haven't seen or read anything about eet

For me it's just plain fun. Easy to pick up and play for a few games if you want(though it is hard to put down) I think it's popular because it's fairly easy to figure out and become proficient, but tough to master. It's those perfect runs that keep bringing you back.

PriitV

Ugh, so now that Firefall is out.. why am I still seeing it being shared by my mate (he has no dlc as far as I can see) to me instead of having it in my own library?

Tizoc

Here's the difference for me:
Yaiba is clearly a "spinoff" set in the Ninja Gaiden universe. It stars an entirely new character in an entirely new setting and has some appearances from NG characters Ryu and Momiji.

Strider is basically a reboot, not a "spinoff". They took the same main character and tried to translate the core gameplay of the classic platforming combat games into a metroidvania. I just don't think they did it successfully. Other games have done this and it's worked well... Symphony of the NIght is one of the best examples of it. They took what was traditionally a challenging linear platformer with a combat focus and made it so it was sort of open in terms of exploration creating what we call "metroidvania" today. Metroid Prime also did this -- they took some cues from the Metroid lore, but made a new story and told it using FPS gameplay and perspective.

As a fan of both Metroid and Castlevania franchises, I was blown away by both Prime and SotN and my skeptical nature of "what are they doing to my classic franchise" was totally dismissed when I played the games and thought they were excellent. Strider, for me, didn't accomplish the transition to a new genre successfully and I was disappointed because of it; so much so that I'm very outspoken against people buying it for the same reason I was about DmC (though I actually enjoyed DmC more than I expected once I played it finally [on PC, of course]).

Hope this makes sense. :3

Tomb Raider 2013 is also a reboot that shifted it's gameplay system to resemble Uncharted along with collectibles and having QTEs.
While many will say that it did the Uncharted formula better, I personally, was still not pleased with the direction it took.
However I've not disliked the game so much that I wouldn't recommend it if anyone is interested in it, but I would also recommend them to try out the 2000s TR series to get an idea of what TR gameplay actually is.

No offense, but...this puts us in a 'agree to disagree' point which is like going back to square one, but either way I guess we could end it at this point.

We can however agree to this though
You and me sharing the good times with all the Beauties in Killer is Dead
*Raises glass of wine*

mugwhump

So if I'm running Linux, and installed the Windaz steam client via playonlinux (basically a frontend for WINE), can I just install my windows games from inside steam?

-MD-

I've been hit by the bad rats... I went so many years and it ends like this.

Mystery greed, that's all this is.

Ventara

how do I use jshackles idlemaster with firefox

I just gave up and used Chrome. I figured finding out how was slower than just using Chrome. And it probably was. It was pretty simple and quick for me.

I've been hit by the bad rats... I went so many years and it ends like this.

Mystery greed, that's all this is.

I dodged a bullet there. I shouldn't have entered in the first place. I should know better by now that 90% of the time, it's Bad Rats.

alr1ght

bish gets all the credit :)
Bad Rats may be the most given away game, yet it's never been in a bundle.

I wonder if Modbot keeps stats.

Deitus

It's hard to put in words. It's just a really fun, wacky racing game with a ton of ways to screw over the other players. It's very easy to screw up and die, but the next round is never far off. It's the sort of game where you find yourself laughing your ass off, while simultaneously cursing at the people you are playing with.

Edit: I thought someone had posted a webm of it in this thread, but I couldn't find it. Watch a couple minutes of this to get a feel for what the game is: http://www.twitch.tv/dunderhassan/b/552225922

Yakkue

That was my fear, but it isn't outdated at all, at least in my opinion. The only flaw I found was that it didn't tell you at first that your character didn't have a sword equipped, which makes defeating the first enemies virtually impossible.

Thanks for that info, I'll keep that in mind when I start that game. How long did it take you to notice? ;)

I got married, had a baby and moved to the US. I wasn't hiding, just buried under the obligations of husbandry and fatherhood. Still am tbh:

Must be hard to juggle a newborn and farming at the same time! Congrats :)

It's a really well done multiplayer platfomer/racer.
Watch some of dunder's streams... me go find the one where he was racing kipp if he archived it... he stopped playing around and it was hype as all getout.

http://www.twitch.tv/dunderhassan/b/552570053

13:07 is a good point to start.

I have been waiting such a long time for this game to hit. I got really into it at PAX East, and its been on my radar ever since. Really hope it turns out well for those dudes, they were really fun to talk to down there.

I love the concept -- I'm just curious as to how much it depends on the actual music in terms of "rhythm" gameplay as well as if it comes with any tracks of its own (as I do not have my mp3s on my gaming PC). I'm also curious about price.

What is the original license for SAM? There's no license listed on the page or in the download.

Edit: I see from following your comment to another comment that the issue doesn't seem to be license. I understand now. Makes sense. I'm sure shacks will update to remove the apparently proprietary code?

Is Shacks actually using that API? I had this conversation with him earlier while I was testing for him and he said:

[7:01:04 PM] jshackles: I guess my 360KB app that does the idling is too efficient

He said he was using SAM before and the difference in speed was responsible for the timing issue I uncovered...

Unfortunately, he's traveling or whatever, so we'll have to wait for a response from him on this.

Articalys

So I decided the reason I have zero luck with raffles is because I still haven't completed the first (and only so far) game I got as a SteamGAF gift, DMC4. Been working at it over the last few days and made it to the halfway point, so it's time for the backtrackathon next.

It's incredibly fun so far but I'm absolutely horrible at getting anything close to SSStylish combat. I think Bayonetta and Rising have spoiled me when it comes to defensive and dodging options in combat, so going back to something like DMC4 where all you have are basic rolls and the Table Hopper is teeth-grinding. Just have to keep practicing, I suppose.

Devil Buster Suplexing the knight enemies is pretty sweet though.

zylche

Neo Member
Is Shacks actually using that API? I had this conversation with him earlier while I was testing for him and he said:

[7:01:04 PM] jshackles: I guess my 360KB app that does the idling is too efficient

He said he was using SAM before and the difference in speed was responsible for the timing issue I uncovered...

Unfortunately, he's traveling or whatever, so we'll have to wait for a response from him on this.
Well considering his reaction has been to delete the repo: https://github.com/jshackles/idle_master/
And that it's just C# so you can look at the code yourself (PEInsider is good for this).

user237

ModBot said:
Instructions for participants:
I am giving away a Humble key. To enter this giveaway, send a PM to ModBot with any subject line. In the body, copy and paste the entire line from the message below containing the game you want to enter for. Confused? Watch this GIF tutorial or ask for help.

ModBot Basics:
- I really appreciate thank you messages, but please send them to me (user237, not ModBot!) via PM instead of in thread.
- Do not trade keys you win off-site to enrich yourself. Don't try to claim games you have no interest in collecting or playing. Don't claim games to give them to friends off-site.
- If the key is already taken you will not receive a reply. Replies may take a minute or two.

Rules for this Giveaway:
- You must have given away a game through ModBot to become eligible for this giveaway.
- This giveaway is a LIGHTNING raffle. The winners will be selected by random draw 15 minutes after the draw was created. Any games not claimed after that point will be given away first come first serve.

The Last Remnant -- MB-B38610258A20042A - Taken by freshVeggie. 8 entrants total.

t1406694317z1.png

This was a mystery game raffle. The winner already had the game.

It was a humble gift link and the key was already mailed to the previous winner.

So this giveaway is for the actual key link (the one that humble sends you when you enter your email into a gift).

diablogod

Giveaway

ModBot said:
Instructions for participants:
I am giving away 9 Steam keys. To enter this giveaway, send a PM to ModBot with any subject line. In the body, copy and paste the entire line from the message below that corresponds to the game you want. (if you include more than one game, you will be blocked from entering). Confused? Watch this GIF tutorial or ask for help.

ModBot Basics:
- I really appreciate thank you messages, but please send them to me (diablogod, not ModBot!) via PM instead of in thread.

Rules for this Giveaway:
- This is a free for all! You can enter for multiple games on the list below. Send an individual PM for each game you'd like to win.
- This giveaway is a LIGHTNING raffle. The winners will be selected by random draw 15 minutes after the draw was created. Any games not claimed after that point will be given away first come first serve.

Gun Metal -- MB-5383988D70348600 - Taken by ExitPlanetDust. 3 entrants total.
Reversion - The Meeting -- MB-670E3CB366E342DC - Taken by Milamber. 3 entrants total.
Vanguard Princess -- MB-410885509A514166 - Taken by MisterLuffy. 3 entrants total.
Alien Shooter 2: Reloaded -- MB-8CD09F18B210217E - Taken by freshVeggie. 3 entrants total.
Woodle Tree -- MB-457C91D531E69334 - Taken by Pop. 4 entrants total.
Huntsman: The Orphange - Halloween Edition -- MB-3087E283025D91BF - Taken by fuzzy123. 4 entrants total.
Little Racers STREET -- MB-D05FE550984CD3A1 - Taken by electroflame. 7 entrants total.
Suguri Collection -- MB-BAF19B7D8431D569 - Taken by topyy. 10 entrants total.
Gravi Steam Key -- MB-C2E8440F68A8CE9F - Taken by user237. 4 entrants total.

t1406694377z1.png

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom