• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

STEAM | July 2014-3 – Let Off Some STEAM Bennett

Status
Not open for further replies.

Arthea

was tits the game that had like 15 cards? that's actually a decent reason

other than that too generic, drill me on it, what's so amazing about it?

i've been interested in it for the longest time on reputation alone but now that i can actually buy it i'd like to know something more

those songs are pretty dope btw

Trails is basically about writing, characters and writing, I don't agree that gameplay is just decent, it's good, the game is good, everything about it is good, that doesn't happen that often, as you probably know.
OTOH I'm wary of word "amazing". Is it amazing? For example I think that the Last Remnant has amazing bs, while you hate it. You see what I mean?
It is a good game, all series are good and I would like all of them on steam, actually. Now do you want to play a good game for fair price, it's up to you, really, nobody can convince you if even dead spiders don't...

Do people still do reviews? I want to do a review:

gpzqyae.png

Show me that concept again. (Show me that concept)
Don’t waste another minute on your playin’.
You’ll stop nowhere near the end (nowhere near)
A good game is not ready to begin.

Oooohhh. As long as we got super meat boy
We got a decent platformer right in our hands.
Steam bros you and me, we gotta be
The luckiest players who quickly quit playin’.

As long as we get tight controls’
we can play anything else that comes our way
Baby, spikes or shovels, all the time
We got plenty of other games, deserving of laughter and love.

So yeah, Growing Pains is not good.

ModBot

Not a mod, just a bot.
Thanks to an anonymous benefactor, I am giving away 5 Steam keys. To enter this giveaway, send a PM to ModBot with any subject line. In the body, copy and paste the entire line from the message below that corresponds to the game you want. (if you include more than one game, you will be blocked from entering). Confused? Watch this GIF tutorial or ask for help.

ModBot Basics:
- This giveaway has a manual blocklist. The giver has identified members who abuse giveaways and restricted them from participating.
- Do not trade keys you win off-site to enrich yourself. Don't try to claim games you have no interest in collecting or playing. Don't claim games to give them to friends off-site.
- If the key is already taken you will not receive a reply. Replies may take a minute or two.

Rules for this Giveaway:
- If you are a lurker you are not eligible for this giveaway. You need five or more posts in either the current Steam thread or the previous one to be eligible
- This giveaway is a LIGHTNING raffle. The winners will be selected by random draw 15 minutes after the draw was created. Any games not claimed after that point will be given away first come first serve.

Blockland (Steam) -- MB-5E631220B9143AB4 - Taken by Benedict. 1 entrants total.
Kyntt Underground (Steam) -- MB-9F569A755749BCED - Taken by MTE. 1 entrants total.
xheRJRF.gif
Postal (Steam) -- MB-D87B1497B5DF5A9F - Taken by Vuze. 2 entrants total.
Expeditions: Conquistador (Steam) -- MB-AF38A297073C9FA1 - Taken by Vastag. 1 entrants total.
Rock of Ages (Steam) -- MB-71C61EB9A9D36E96 - Taken by EmergentFocus. 1 entrants total.

t1406800041z1.png

Dr Dogg

Do people still do reviews? I want to do a review:

Show me that concept again. (Show me that concept)
Don’t waste another minute on your playin’.
You’ll stop nowhere near the end (nowhere near)
A good game is not ready to begin.

Oooohhh. As long as we got super meat boy
We got a decent platformer right in our hands.
Steam bros you and me, we gotta be
The luckiest players who quickly quit playin’.

As long as we get tight controls’
we can play anything else that comes our way
Baby, spikes or shovels, all the time
We got plenty of other games, deserving of laughter and love.

So yeah, Growing Pains is not good.

Hahaha brilliant. Love the store page description...
Growing pains is a fast and furious platformer which gives the genre a shake up with psychedelic graphics, a thumping soundtrack and an ingenious twist. The "Vessel" continually grows and expands leaving you in a permanent race to escape the area before you find your butt wedged in a tight spot.

and then reading the store page reviews, some which says it's anything but. Still they're seem to aiming for Workshop support so some one might mod in some of the above.

zkylon

zkylewd
Trails is basically about writing, characters and writing, I don't agree that gameplay is just decent, it's good, the game is good, everything about it is good, that doesn't happen that often, as you probably know.
OTOH I'm wary of word "amazing". Is it amazing? For example I think that the Last Remnant has amazing bs, while you hate it. You see what I mean?
It is a good game, all series are good and I would like all of them on steam, actually. Now do you want to play a good game for fair price, it's up to you, really, nobody can convince you if even dead spiders don't...
yea that all sounds like shit i would be interested in

i didn't hate last remnant combat system btw, i just don't think the good outweights the bad and i'm not a fan of very specific things about it (story+characters, unnecessary rng elements, dungeon design being stupid). i still had lots of fun with it while it lasted, but also that's why i never got too far into it.

BinaryPork2737

Unconfirmed Member
was tits the game that had like 15 cards? that's actually a decent reason

other than that too generic, drill me on it, what's so amazing about it?

i've been interested in it for the longest time on reputation alone but now that i can actually buy it i'd like to know something more

those songs are pretty dope btw

It's got 13 anime cards, all selling in the $.30 range.

The biggest reason is that if it sells well, it might bring more JRPGs to Steam. That said, Trails is still a great JRPG on its own.

As for the game, it's a solid JRPG, but I wouldn't call it amazing. The characters and narrative are fairly straightforward but solid and enjoyable. The new translation is solid too, haven't noticed any outstanding grammatical or spelling errors. The battle system is sort of like FFVII's, kind of, but mixed with basic movement on a tactical grid. It's not nearly as confusing as that sounds. There's a ton of sidequests to do, so you'll definitely get your money's worth, plus most of the sidequests are more unique than say get X amount of items, or kill X number of enemies. I've also heard that the trilogy only gets better with each game.

Plus the soundtrack is really excellent.

Oh hell no. I'll only back little busters and angel beats, mostly because the Key animes left me a bad impression

Not even Clannad? :/

Axass

So, I'm playing To the Moon (I'm at the
memory about Johnny playing the piano for the dying Rain
), the atmosphere's good so far, the characters interesting...but there's barely any gameplay. Does it get better in that regard, or is it just more of a visual novel in style? I'll still finish it, the plot intrigues me.

Kiru

lemme just say

fuzzi is a strange person

and i guess i'll enjoy me some much undeserved milk
Fuzzi is a crazy and loveable person.

), the atmosphere's good so far, the characters interesting...but there's barely any gameplay. Does it get better in that regard, or is it just more of a visual novel in style? I'll still finish it, the plot intrigues me.

Yeah, not much real gameplay just finding mementos and shizzle. Keep going for the story.

Arthea

It's basically a VN, I have no idea how and why it got tagged as RPG, it doesn't make any sense, it can be called an adventure game, even if there is barely any adventuring there, but we slap "adventure" on everything these days.

BinaryPork2737

Unconfirmed Member
lemme just say

fuzzi is a strange person

and i guess i'll enjoy me some much undeserved milk

You're not wrong :p

He's cool though.

Nope, that's pretty much the whole game. Where it lacks in gameplay, it makes up for in story and music.

There are some puzzles though, so it's not all point and click to the next area on the screen.

This has to be a joke. No chance they will ever bring the Key games to the West.

Sekai Project apparently made a Gaf account and posted in that thread, so you could always ask what the chances are. Either way, more VN style games localized and on Steam, the better.

Seanspeed

Banned
I like the art style, but no real gameplay mechanics shown at all. Really cant get behind it when I don't know what its going to be like to play.

Reading more about this game and some alarm bells are ringing. Started off a $900,000 kickstarter project(which isn't totally unreasonable given their ambitions), but it failed and now its a $35,000 kickstarter project, which is only for the Prologue. Further development will depend on reaching stretch goals and continued crowdfunding, which is highly risky. I also don't see anywhere where the developers state any kind of experience making games.

lashman

Steam-GAF's Official Ambassador to Gaming-GAF
that i gather

sounds appropriate for a country of pirates

well - they MUST be crazy to want to live in a country where 99% of the local flora and fauna is trying to eat your face or murder you in every possible way ;)

saunderez

I'm still waiting for paradise lost
One of many I'm waiting on too. Just looking at my list of Kickstarter games, it's gonna be a while until a lot of these pan out.

* Wasteland 2
* Crea
* Moon Intern
* 7 Days To Die
* Rimworld
* Paradise Lost
* The Mandate
* Heart Forth Alicia
* Armello
* The Universim
* Hover: Revolt of Gamers
* Deer God

I need to give it a rest for a bit I think.

The_Super_Inframan

"the journey to a thousand games ends with bad rats. ~Lao Tzu" ~Gabe Newell
Germany is fine with violence these days (e.g. Gears 3 went through unscathed and it's rather gory owing to the chainsaw-gun... thing), it's just the Nazi stuff that's still a big no-no (although as I understand it, this wouldn't be the case if games were classified as art). What's harming Germany at the moment is publishers having a dated notion of what will pass through the USK unabated and them wanting to avoid resubmission costs -- The Last of Us is a prime example of this.

^ Thats right, it's really rare these days that games are cut or not released at all.

And a lot of this stuff could be prevented if Valve finally would add a age verification system to steam...

And I bet Capcom didn't even try to get Dead Rising released/approved here...

The Nazi/Art stuff is a bit more complicated and it's lame that the German version of Wolfenstein is cut/altered, but there is nothing Bethesda could have done about that. At least they walked the extra mile and made a version that could be sold here...

JaseC

gave away the keys to the kingdom.
^ Thats right, it's really rare these days that games are cut or not released at all.

And a lot of this stuff could be prevented if Valve finally would add a age verification system to steam...

And I bet Capcom didn't even try to get Dead Rising released/approved here...

The Nazi/Art stuff is a bit more complicated and it's lame that the German version of Wolfenstein is cut/altered, but there is nothing Bethesda could have done about that. At least they walked the extra mile and made a version that could be sold here...

Yeah, the first two were refused classification, so this time around Capcom simply didn't bother.

The_Super_Inframan

Yeah, the first two were refused classification, so this time around Capcom simply didn't bother.

Which makes me wonder why they prevent German Steam users from playing the game at all?

I understand why you can't buy/see the game in the German Steam store, but there is no legal reason why Germans couldn't play a "imported" (in this case gifted) version.

Lots of lost sales there...

JaseC

It's not like they did nazi that coming too.

tumblr_inline_mvv90fWBnr1razod5.png

;)

Which makes me wonder why they prevent German Steam users from playing the game at all?

I understand why you can't buy/see the game in the German Steam store, but there is no legal reason why Germans couldn't play a "imported" (in this case gifted) version.

Yeah, it does strike me as needlessly heavy-handed. Who knows, maybe Capcom will change its mind closer to release.

So...Yaiba is pretty darn fun. Only early in, stopped to recover from an interrupted panty party, but the action thus far has been great. Will be posting proper impressions when done.
Will have to gift a few copies here when done too >.>

well - they MUST be crazy to want to live in a country where 99% of the local flora and fauna is trying to eat your face or murder you in every possible way ;)
I want one of these guys in a horror game.

This is what's bothering me the most. It's such a fringe case and there is no reason to restric the game like that in Germany.

They can't legally sell it, okay. But If I buy it somewhere else (like importing a physical copy even), isn't that entirely my responsibility? i'd really like to know the reason for it.

Double

Aw shit I finally found my missing FTL key it seems. A gift key. Man they should store that shit somewhere in your humble account. All glory to the god old email search.

Milamber

This is what's bothering me the most. It's such a fringe case and there is no reason to restric the game like that in Germany.

They can't legally sell it, okay. But If I buy it somewhere else (like importing a physical copy even), isn't that entirely my responsibility? i'd really like to know the reason for it.

I believe they are just covering their asses for future dealings with them. They don't want to cause a fuhrer when they find out that it can still be gifted or accessed via VPN quite easily from the Steam store.

saunderez

Seems like a case of going out of their way to cover their own ass, but it's still ridiculous.

The_Super_Inframan

But If I buy it somewhere else (like importing a physical copy even), isn't that entirely my responsibility?

Thats whats so strange about region locks like this, I can import a physical copy of the Xbone version without any problem and it isn't even against any laws as long I'm old enough, but I can't play a "imported" copy on Steam...

I'm not really that interested in Dead Rising, and cases like these are getting rare but it still annoys me for some reason :p

Double

Oh shit more humble gifts emerging now that I masterfully adjusted my email search parametres. If the popup on the link doesn't say the gift has already be redeemed than it has not, right? Right?

JaseC

Oh shit more humble gifts emerging now that I masterfully adjusted my email search parametres. If the popup on the link doesn't say the gift has already be redeemed than it has not, right? Right?

Left. I mean right.

derExperte

Yes it is. Even the Wolfenstein lock wasn't legally necessary because while certain symbols prevent a game from being able to be sold here owning and playing them is perfectly fine (as long as you don't do it publicly). Though there we at least got a changed version. Locking DR3 like this makes no sense whatsoever.

Phinor

My IdleM@ster has been wrestling with System Shock 2 for that last card for the past hour

I'm into hour four for my second card of Sir, You Are being Hunted. The first card game quickly, but nothing has happened in the three+ hours since. I guess something went wrong.

Axass

Yeah, not much real gameplay just finding mementos and shizzle. Keep going for the story.

Nope, that's pretty much the whole game. Where it lacks in gameplay, it makes up for in story and music.

There are some puzzles though, so it's not all point and click to the next area on the screen.

Okay, thanks.

It's basically a VN, I have no idea how and why it got tagged as RPG, it doesn't make any sense, it can be called an adventure game, even if there is barely any adventuring there, but we slap "adventure" on everything these days.

Definitely not an RPG... unless you count that "squirrel fight".

Please take this. First come, first served.

Also, there is still a key available here for Warlock - Master of the Arcane.

ModBot said:
Instructions for EmergentFocus:
Press the quote button to the left of this PM, select the quoted text, copy, and paste in the thread. You can remove these lines from the version you paste.

Instructions for participants:
I am giving away a Steam key. To enter this giveaway, send a PM to ModBot with any subject line. In the body, copy and paste the entire line from the message below containing the game you want to enter for. Confused? Watch this GIF tutorial or ask for help.

ModBot Basics:
- This giveaway has a manual blocklist. The giver has identified members who abuse giveaways and restricted them from participating.
- I really appreciate thank you messages, but please send them to me (EmergentFocus, not ModBot!) via PM instead of in thread.
- Do not trade keys you win off-site to enrich yourself. Don't try to claim games you have no interest in collecting or playing. Don't claim games to give them to friends off-site.
- If the key is already taken you will not receive a reply. Replies may take a minute or two.

Paranautical Activity -- MB-0513B28B6E0F8BF0 - Taken by PossumMeat

Rhaknar

The Steam equivalent of the drunk friend who keeps offering to pay your tab all night.
why do I have Total War Shogun 2 Fall of the Samura Preorder in my list all of a sudden? although I could sware I owned that

free weekend later today maybe?

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom