• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

STEAM | July 2014-3 – Let Off Some STEAM Bennett

Status
Not open for further replies.

Dr Dogg

I need help in choosing my new mouse, it is too hot to concentrate on anything
Cyborg R.A.T. 3 (for kicks?)
A4Tech mouse Q4-370X
LOGITECH B100
LOGITECH M90
Sweex MA030

could you kindly help me?
Probably I just need to go with Logitech, as I always do.

Comfort is key and a better asset than extra buttons, profiles and gimmicks you probably won't use. Also lots and lots of 'gaming' mice surfer from line prediction and have some angle snapping quirks so it's best to do a little bit of research.

I still stand by the Microsoft Intellimouse Exploerer 3.0 being the best mouse ever but they stopped making them years ago so they are rare as rocking horse shit brand new and carry a hefty price. A Logitech MX518 would be my next choice, although they do have some line prediction and are also not made anymore a successor in the G400 is available (some say it's better than a MX518).

Currently I'm using a Steelseries Sensei and it's super comfortable, ambidextorious, adjustable prediction and angle snapping to 0 and built really well.

End of the day find something comfortable first and then go from there.

Edit: Sorry I would expand more on each but I'm in the waiting in the worlds longest line to get lunch.

pahamrick

Each of those buttons can be used for your weapon/spell switching. They can also be assigned specific shortcuts and profiles per game/program.

Old one, build quality takes a dive for sure. But the new 2014 ones with the mechanical buttons are amazing.

Do the new 2014 models still have a metal weight that is clipped in place by 2 plastic clips to make the mouse seem heavy? It was thanks to that metal weight that my mouse took a shit and died.

Milamber

Is that a mouse or phone?

Don't knock it until you tried it buddy. This mouse lets me do everything I assign it to do individually, one-handed. No more keyboard.

Gives my other hand more time to do other things.

Do the new 2014 models still have a metal weight that is clipped in place by 2 plastic clips to make the mouse seem heavy? It was thanks to that metal weight that my mouse took a shit and died.

I'm pretty sure even the past NAGA's never had weights.

hitoshi

Let the bodies hit the floor

ModBot said:
Instructions for participants:
I am giving away a Steam key. To enter this giveaway, send a PM to ModBot with any subject line. In the body, copy and paste the entire line from the message below containing the game you want to enter for. Confused? Watch this GIF tutorial or ask for help.

ModBot Basics:
- I really appreciate thank you messages, but please send them to me (hitoshi, not ModBot!) via PM instead of in thread.
- Do not trade keys you win off-site to enrich yourself. Don't try to claim games you have no interest in collecting or playing. Don't claim games to give them to friends off-site.
- If the key is already taken you will not receive a reply. Replies may take a minute or two.

Hitman: Blood Money -- MB-AC4C021DA45521B9 - Taken by nightstorm

Hasney

kni_03_thumb.jpg

Still the favourite of mice I've used. Just remember to turn the creepy voices off in the driver.

*press button* VOLUME UP *press button* MOUSE DPI ONE THOUSAND TWO HUNDRED.

GAHHH MAKE IT STOP.

derExperte

not really, it just ones that are available today like right now, and as my mouse fell victim to this unholy heat, I'm in a hurry, kinda.

Then probably the RAT, but their sensors aren't the best. Often mentioned: Razer DeathAdder and SteelSeries Sensei RAW. I bought a Roccat Kone Pure Optical a short while ago and haven't regretted it.

pahamrick

Don't knock it until you tried it buddy. This mouse lets me do everything I assign it to do individually, one-handed. No more keyboard.

Gives my other hand more time to do other things.

I'm pretty sure even the past NAGA's never had weights.

Nope, at least the ones in the past did. For my birthday in 2012 a buddy gave me the Naga Molten Edition (The one with the red glow.) It held up okay, until my cat knocked it off my desk. It basically smacked the wall, then hit the carpet. After that, it wouldn't work at all.

Figuring I had nothing to lose, I took it apart to try and fix it. Turns out the nice hefty feel of the mouse was caused by a round metal weight. When it hit the wall, the plastic clips holding it in place snapped and the weight ended up bouncing around inside the mouse casing doing god knows what to keep it from working.

Edit:

http://www.guildwars2guru.com/topic/50851-razer-naga-rattling-issue/

Here's a post talking about the weight in the molten edition.

MadGear

Don't listen to them. A Razer NAGA is amazing for any game you play.
HrbXczh.png

I used to be a Razer fan for a long time, loved my Death Adder and really didn't want anything else. After my DA died i obviously wanted to replace it with another Death Adder but out of the 3 mice i bought from different retailers none of them felt like quality products. The first one had double click issues after a day of use, the second one had mouse wheel issues out of the box and the third one felt just plain cheaply assembled. Don't know what happened in the past years, but Razer mice turned from must have to avoid at all cost for me. Sadly, Steelseries also seems to have some quality issues (at least the Rival i tried was just as terrible. Also really learned to hate SS's customer support after an issue with my headset).

That said i have yet to find a fitting replacement (currently using an old Lachesis, but the acceleration on that laser is annoying as hell ... at least the build quality itself is fine). Might go with a Mionix Naos 7000 or Logitech G402 at this point, still waiting on some proper reviews on the latter one however.

Milamber

Nope, at least the ones in the past did. For my birthday in 2012 a buddy gave me the Naga Molten Edition (The one with the red glow.) It held up okay, until my cat knocked it off my desk. It basically smacked the wall, then hit the carpet. After that, it wouldn't work at all.

Figuring I had nothing to lose, I took it apart to try and fix it. Turns out the nice hefty feel of the mouse was caused by a round metal weight. When it hit the wall, the plastic clips holding it in place snapped and the weight ended up bouncing around inside the mouse casing doing god knows what to keep it from working.

Oh, internally, you mean. No idea. I'm pretty lucky to be using 2 normal NAGA's, 2011 & 2014, and both are still running strong, even after a few bumps.

derExperte

Razor mouses are great, if you are lucky enough that it didn't die on you within the first 3 months.

A day after starting to use a DeathAdder something broke inside and fell around when moving the mouse fast. Didn't incite confidence (I also didn't like the software, the feel and I need a few more buttons). Though Roccat has it's share of durability problems too, in the end it seems to come down to luck.

Ban Puncher

A4Tech mouse Q4-370X
LOGITECH B100
LOGITECH M90
Sweex MA030

yours is too fancy,
says me considering Cyborg R.A.T. 3 (><)

Logitech M950t - endorsed by Man Punchers everywhere.

19678.png

Previously I had a Logitech MX1000 and that lasted damn near ten years.

Kaper

And that is why Razer mice aren't generally recommended. The Death Adder is the only mouse with a decent sensor, but still has the Razer build quality.

I replaced my Naga with a Death Adder because I like the feel of the Razer mice, and it shows no signs of Razering out on me so I think I'm in the clear. I even managed to get a second Death Adder for free, so even if my current one breaks tomorrow I won't be too upset.

A day after starting to use a DeathAdder something broke inside and fell around when moving the mouse fast. Didn't incite confidence (I also didn't like the software, the feel and I need a few more buttons). Though Roccat has it's share of durability problems too, in the end it seems to come down to luck.
Same goes for Razor's 360 controller, superior handling, super fragile.

I'm using SteelSeries Sensei RAW, it has served me well.

Vuze

kni_03_thumb.jpg

Still the favourite of mice I've used. Just remember to turn the creepy voices off in the driver.

*press button* VOLUME UP *press button* MOUSE DPI ONE THOUSAND TWO HUNDRED.

GAHHH MAKE IT STOP.

Oh yeeeeah. I almost got a heart attack because of this when I was playing on headphones. "ACHIEVEMENT UNLOCKED"

MadGear

I'm still using an MX518 that's about 7 or 8 years old now.

Yeah, that was a fine mouse however after using the Death Adder for so long the mouse wheel just doesn't feel right to me anymore.

Great for the price I paid.

So you didn't have any issues with it? The one i tried felt cheap as hell with a rally loose mouse wheel. Guess Steelseries and Razer are both hit and miss now, but I don't really feel like gambling :/

Strider

So you didn't have any issues with it? The one i tried felt cheap as hell with a rally loose mouse wheel. Guess Steelseries and Razer are both hit and miss now, but I don't really feel like gambling :/

Nope no issues at all. Had it about 7 months now I'd say so we'll see going forward, but I expect it will hold up fine.

I have a Sidewinder x8. It's sturdy and accurate but large. I have big hands and it still feels big. Wireless receiver that comes with it is stupid, unless they've changed that.

pahamrick

I guess your environment requires you to have sturdy hardware.

Well, most of the abuse for the MX has been in the past. The hit the Naga took wasn't even that hard. I loved my Naga, and I hate playing certain games without it anymore but I can't justify the price for me to buy a replacement after seeing the build quality on the inside. If the 2014 models really are that much better, I'll have to look into it. I miss playing Marvel Heroes and Diablo 3 with it.

Every other piece of hardware I have is working just fine, too. So I wouldn't say my environment requires more sturdy than most. :p

A4Tech mouse Q4-370X
LOGITECH B100
LOGITECH M90
Sweex MA030

yours is too fancy,
says me considering Cyborg R.A.T. 3 (><)

If you're right handed, look no further than a G400 or G400S. Successor to the MX518, one of the best mice ever made.

I still stand by the Microsoft Intellimouse Exploerer 3.0 being the best mouse ever but they stopped making them years ago so they are rare as rocking horse shit brand new and carry a hefty price. A Logitech MX518 would be my next choice, although they do have some line prediction and are also not made anymore a successor in the G400 is available (some say it's better than a MX518).

While the Intellieye 3.0 was an amazing mouse, it had a serious flaw where it's buttons would inevitably go to shit after a period of time. A single click would end up registering as a double click which would be problematic. I went through 3 of these many years ago and they all failed with the same issue. I have a friend who was crazy about this mouse and bought about 10 of them when production on them ceased. So far every mouse of his has met the same fate.

MadGear

Logitech announced and released the G402 today btw, it's a cheaper version of the G502 with, going by first reports, a better scroll wheel. http://www.pcworld.com/article/2459...ion-fury-the-worlds-fastest-gaming-mouse.html

The only issue with that mouse however is that it is using the same sensor as the G100s but the cool thing about it is the use of an accelerometer which sounds super interesting (at least to me :D) and if it works as promised, then the use of that old sensor is really nothing to worry about. The shape is also nice, looks a bit R.A.T'y but isn't at all, because the G502 already felt really great in my hand. Only downside is that stupid sniper button ... i don't know a single person who wants to use such a feature. But oh well, i guess you could remap that button to another button like the middle mouse button, which would actually be really great for me. Really itching to preorder that thing, but will wait for a few more reviews first :D

pahamrick

Probably not, Razer has become notorious for their declining build quality.

That's a bummer. Wouldn't surprise me though, considering that if the weight hadn't been in there to make the mouse seem heavier, it would probably still be working fine after it's little smack around.

derExperte

The only issue with that mouse however is that it is using the same sensor as the G100s but the cool thing about it is the use of an accelerometer which sounds super interesting (at least to me :D) and if it works as promised, then the use of that old sensor is really nothing to worry about.

The dude in the video I linked to was pretty pleased already, no angle snapping, precise and a reasonable lift off distance. I have no reason to change mice right now (though I like the mousewheel of the Kone less than that of my old G9) but should something happen to mine this would be my next pick.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom