• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

STEAM | July 2015 - Nothing To Buy With Our Arkham Knight Refunds

Status
Not open for further replies.

Grief.exe

No, I asked Jawmuncher if there was a list of stuff in the flash sale for PSN that was the reason RoF got brought up. Shantom was kind enough to reply with links.

Multiple people posting OT does not justify it.

The signal to noise ratio in this thread has become terrible, let's all clean it up.

MGS5 for $20-30? Best news today. Still so disappointed with the CE. A hand.. There need to be a poll for every CE. Let the people decide what they want and how much.

Yeah. Nvidia is gonna package it with gpus. Definitely gonna be some keys lingering in the BST thread.

For a game many of us were going to buy anyways, this just means Nvidia is passing on direct savings to us.

Win/win if you ask me.

unless you have too many games to play in reasonable time frame, there is no point in using it, but most of steamgaf have, and idlemaster is amazing, I would have never ever got so many cards I got with.

hey! I play my games after I idle them, or at least try, it's not my fault we dropped to that fifth place.
I guess that's true.

I guess I can't blame you then :p.
can't imagine many places where there's enough "other stuff" to compensate for losing all my family and friends

probably japan, but unfortunately i don't know how to speak japanese

you won't play every single game from every shitty bundle you buy for that one game that was good tho

i generally don't run it on the games i'm interested in so i have an excuse to play them but other than that, just jshackles that shit for the "free" monies
Time to bust out those Japanese learning programs instead of League then lol.

You're right. I bought some puzzle bundle a couple years back and I did try all the games but only liked like maybe 2 of them I did try all of them though. Thing is I buy so few bundles.

Backlogger

Bring your popcorn mates, the framerate-thread is going to explode.
L4iHKDH.png

Oh wow, you have got to be kidding me. So glad I don't waste time watching these different YouTube personalities' videos.

That I do not know. But most likely.
They're rumors that it will be the next game given away by Nvidia with their GPUs sooooo...

Yes. It's included with Nvidia cards so people will be selling it for around that price.
Interesting, thanks! :)
Yeah. Nvidia is gonna package it with gpus. Definitely gonna be some keys lingering in the BST thread.
I doubt I can make use of that place. :/

Thanks though!

Thanks. I sent an email to Gabe too, because why the hell not. If I get no where, joke's on me for being an idiot and giving Rocksteady benefit of the doubt and pre-purchasing the season pass.

Even if I do end up managing to get the refund, it'll be a cold day in hell before I buy another Rocksteady developed or WB published PC game for more than $5.

I ended up sending an email to Fork Parker hoping for a funny response or maybe some sort of goodie to pass on to my gifter... I was disappointed on both counts when I did get a reply.

As for WB -- MKX had some problems, but nothing that made me regret grabbing the premium version off of nuuvem pre-release. Right now, it's sitting on my GOTY list and is probably going to stay there, since SFV isn't launching til 2016.

As for the Rocksteady/WB Arkham debacle? Yeah, you're entirely justified being pissed -- if it's bad enough it was pulled from the store, it makes me glad I just ended up winning it in the form of an nvidia code in a roundabout way.

Truly, TotalBiscuit is the lord of the PC Master Race

Truly, he must be.
He should be featured in the banner of /r/pcmasterrace

Multiple people posting OT does not justify it.

The signal to noise ratio in this thread has become terrible, let's all clean it up.

Good luck with that. It's been that way since summer 2014. :lol

Side note about that flash sale: I see Lumines in the Vita titles... I've never understood why I own it but it still shows as purchasable from the storefront...

Dusk Golem

A 21st Century Rockefeller
header.jpg

Contradiction Steam Page

So beat Contradiction in one long sitting, 100% and took about 7 hours, one playthrough (you get every achievement mostly by completing chapters not using the cheating system the game has if you get stuck), now some thoughts.

1742a842bfb1bca0b2859f0d07f52956.png

Contradiction is a live-action FMV Murder-Mystery game. You play as Inspector Jenks, a British Policeman who goes to investigate the death of a girl named Katie in a small outskirt village. Her death was investigated and called a suicide, but there was morphine in her blood at her time of death and her driver's license was pinned to a tree in the forest away from the scene of her death, leading our character to investigate closer. His work quickly leads him to find there is indeed something going on in this town...

So, like many FMV games, this game does have an edge of B-charm, laugh-out-loud moments, a lot of this comes from some of the acting and facial expressions the actors can have in specific scenes. But that's not to say this is a so-bad-it's-good type of game, in fact the opposite, it actually got kind of gripping as it developed and in contrast some moments were acted out rather well. It's got a multi-layered mystery that gets deeper and deeper as the night goes on, and is actually surprisingly interesting.

ss_f33622ad529f91fcd66d6eda02e5609445b277c0.600x338.jpg

Gameplay is rather basic. You walk around a town and look for clues hidden about, and people to interview. When you interview people, you take out clues, both physical and conversation topics you earn from talking to others, and watch FMV scenes as they interact. When the scene is done, your character has taken 'notes' to the key points of the discussion. You then can take the key notes from that discussion, and every other discussion you've had with that character, and try and spot any 'contradictions' the character may have said. If you find a contradicting point, it triggers another scene, which either will lead to you having to do further digging or creates a new conversation topic you can raise up to others. Other conversation topics can be found around as objects or weird things in town that strike up a good conversation topic, and some rare objects found can be used to explore deeper certain areas in the village.

The game has a solid cast of something like 10 main characters, and is backed by some rather good-quality video for the backgrounds, FMV scenes, etc., and an actually pretty wonderful soundtrack. Music added a lot to specific scenes, and there were a few moments without music where you can hear the atmosphere sounds and drone noises that made some scenes legitimately creepy. On that, while the game is down-toned most of the time, there's the odd scene that plays every once in a while that can catch you off-guard, something that's just kind of creepy, or unexpected, shocking in some cases. I won't spoil anything with that, but the game has a few sudden scenes that happen as you investigate that might catch you off-guard.

It's got a few minor flaws. There are a few times where something the character said was obviously a lie or a contradiction to something you already knew, but because you didn't have the 'conversation topic' piece, you couldn't accuse them of this. A few contradictions (or what seem like contradictions) the game doesn't think quite are. Also the game, while it does have an ending and wraps up the case, proposes more questions, especially near the very end, and has several loose plot threads. They seem to be a sequel hook, and past the game credits a message pops-up confirms this saying "Thanks For Playing!", they'd like to make a sequel, but the only way to do so is for the game to do well-enough, and they appreciate reviews/videos/the like on their project.

ss_d3aa54163d5908d094542be6a3cfaf8cd6817eb4.600x338.jpg

So that raises the question, "Is it worth it?" To which I say, for me, absolutely so. I liked it, I enjoyed it. There were a few moments I got stumped on what to do (get too stuck and you can use a cheat system to tell you what to do next, a feature I never used, or call your chief for a vague general hint) and as you collect more clues you're given maybe too many conversation points to look over, but I actually ended up enjoying the mystery that unveiled in the game, the loose plot threads interest me to see continued, and the story had some fun twists and turns, was sometimes unintentionally amusing, but other times more consciously so, and was gripping at times. Worth it if an FMV Murder-Mystery sounds up your alley, and want something between hammy entertainment and something more gripping and interesting. Hope to see this world revisited in the future.

---

Steam Review Version: http://steamcommunity.com/id/AestheticGamer/recommended/373390

header.jpg

Contradiction Steam Page

So beat Contradiction in one long sitting, 100% and took about 7 hours, one playthrough (you get every achievement mostly by completing chapters not using the cheating system the game has if you get stuck), now some thoughts.

Contradiction is a live-action FMV Murder-Mystery game. You play as Inspector Jenks, a British Policeman who goes to investigate the death of a girl named Katie in a small outskirt village. Her death was investigated and called a suicide, but there was morphine in her blood at her time of death and her driver's license was pinned to a tree in the forest away from the scene of her death, leading our character to investigate closer. His work quickly leads him to find there is indeed going on in this town...

So, like many FMV games, this game does have an edge of B-charm, laugh-out-loud moments, a lot of this comes from some of the acting and facial expressions the actors can have in specific scenes. But that's not to say this is a so-bad-it's-good type of game, in fact the opposite, it actually got kind of gripping as it developed and in contrast some moments were acted out rather well. It's got a multi-layered mystery that gets deeper and deeper as the night goes on, and is actually surprisingly interesting.

Gameplay is rather basic. You walk around a town and look for clues hidden about, and people to interview. When you interview people, you take out clues, both physical and conversation topics you earn from talking to others, and watch FMV scenes as they interact. When the scene is done, your character has taken 'notes' to the key points of the discussion. You then can take the key notes from that discussion, and every other discussion you've had with that character, and try and spot any 'contradictions' the character may have said. If you find a contradicting point, it triggers another scene, which either will lead to you having to do further digging or creates a new conversation topic you can raise up to others. Other conversation topics can be found around as objects or weird things in town that strike up a good conversation topic, and some rare objects found can be used to explore deeper certain areas in the village.

The game has a solid cast of something like 10 main characters, and is backed by some rather good-quality video for the backgrounds, FMV scenes, etc., and an actually pretty wonderful soundtrack. Music added a lot to specific scenes, and there were a few moments without music where you can hear the atmosphere sounds and drone noises that made some scenes legitimately creepy. On that, while the game is down-toned most of the time, there's the odd scene that plays every once in a while that can catch you off-guard, something that's just kind of creepy, or unexpected, shocking in some cases. I won't spoil anything with that, but the game has a few sudden scenes that happen as you investigate that might catch you off-guard.

It's got a few minor flaws. There are a few times where something the character said was obviously a lie or a contradiction to something you already knew, but because you didn't have the 'conversation topic' piece, you couldn't accuse them of this. A few contradictions (or what seem like contradictions) the game doesn't think quite are. Also the game, while you does have an ending and wraps up the case, proposes more questions, especially near the very end, and has several loose plot threads. They seem to be a sequel hook, and past the game credits a message pops-up confirms this saying "Thanks For Playing!", they'd like to make a sequel, but the only way to do so is for the game to do well-enough, and they appreciate reviews/videos/the like on their project.

So that raises the question, "Is it worth it?" To which I say, for me, absolutely so. I liked it, I enjoyed it. There were a few moments I got stumped on what to do (get too stuck and you can use a cheat system to tell you what to do next, a feature I never used) or call your chief for a vague general hint, but I actually ended up enjoying the mystery that unveiled in the game, the loose plot threads interest me to see continued, and the story had some fun twists and turns, was sometimes unintentionally amusing, but other times more consciously so, and was gripping at times. Worth it if an FMV Murder-Mystery sounds up your alley, and want something between hammy entertainment and something more gripping and interesting. Hope to see this world revisited in the future.
Awesome review! Giant Bomb started playing the game and it looks terrific for a weird Ace Attorney/Adventure game mashup.

Just holding out in blind hope for one or is there an actual one coming to pc?

hope. just hope

Dr Dogg

header.jpg

Contradiction Steam Page

So beat Contradiction...

Awesome write up Dusk. I saw this mentioned over at RPS the other day but from your write up it defiantly seams to be something I'd like as I've been hankering for a decent mystery/puzzle game for a while plus who doesn't love a hammy FMV game? Then again I did buy all the Frogwares Sherlock games in the last sale and still haven't got to them :(

header.jpg

Contradiction Steam Page

Contradiction is a live-action FMV Murder-Mystery game. You play as Inspector Jenks, a British Policeman who goes to investigate the death of a girl named Katie in a small outskirt village. Her death was investigated and called a suicide, but there was morphine in her blood at her time of death and her driver's license was pinned to a tree in the forest away from the scene of her death, leading our character to investigate closer. His work quickly leads him to find there is indeed going on in this town...

It's got a few minor flaws. There are a few times where something the character said was obviously a lie or a contradiction to something you already knew, but because you didn't have the 'conversation topic' piece, you couldn't accuse them of this. A few contradictions (or what seem like contradictions) the game doesn't think quite are. Also the game, while you does have an ending and wraps up the case, proposes more questions, especially near the very end, and has several loose plot threads. They seem to be a sequel hook, and past the game credits a message pops-up confirms this saying "Thanks For Playing!", they'd like to make a sequel, but the only way to do so is for the game to do well-enough, and they appreciate reviews/videos/the like on their project.

So that raises the question, "Is it worth it?" To which I say, for me, absolutely so. I liked it, I enjoyed it. There were a few moments I got stumped on what to do (get too stuck and you can use a cheat system to tell you what to do next, a feature I never used) or call your chief for a vague general hint, but I actually ended up enjoying the mystery that unveiled in the game, the loose plot threads interest me to see continued, and the story had some fun twists and turns, was sometimes unintentionally amusing, but other times more consciously so, and was gripping at times. Worth it if an FMV Murder-Mystery sounds up your alley, and want something between hammy entertainment and something more gripping and interesting. Hope to see this world revisited in the future.

If anyone wants to pick up Contradiction, I have a 50% coupon which I will not use. (Valid until 7/23/2015, 8:35:04 AM)

pahamrick

I ended up sending an email to Fork Parker hoping for a funny response or maybe some sort of goodie to pass on to my gifter... I was disappointed on both counts when I did get a reply.

As for WB -- MKX had some problems, but nothing that made me regret grabbing the premium version off of nuuvem pre-release. Right now, it's sitting on my GOTY list and is probably going to stay there, since SFV isn't launching til 2016.

As for the Rocksteady/WB Arkham debacle? Yeah, you're entirely justified being pissed -- if it's bad enough it was pulled from the store, it makes me glad I just ended up winning it in the form of an nvidia code in a roundabout way.

The only complaint I still have with MKX is that they still haven't fixed the weird gamme / darkness issues with the store mode cutscenes. They're way too dark compared to the console versions. Otherwise, I've had a blast with the time I spent playing 1v1 local with my roommate. No regrets picking up the premium version cheap.

But Arkham Knight? Complete shit show. No hint that another studio was handling the PC version, right up until release. Screwing Nvidia code people out of the steam exclusive pre-orders at the last minute. I was able to get the game to a point I considered it playable, at least enough to enjoy it. Didn't feel guilty about buying season pass since I got base game for free with my card.

Only held onto the season pass because I figured they'd at least release the content for the people who kept the game and had it playable. Shows what I know.

Turfster

Oh come on, CDPR.
Not even the GOG version has the 1.0.7 patch?

GamersGate is having a SEGA action weekend, up to 75% off

The Humble Store is having a Paradox Weekend, up to 75% off; extra 10% off if you bought the E3 bundle
They've also got 75% off Worms games.

Kuroyume

Banned
Sector code is for this turd: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=8sTXO6H1ybQ

Not Dark sector.

ModBot said:
Instructions for participants:
I am giving away 8 Steam keys. To enter this giveaway, send a PM to ModBot with any subject line. In the body, copy and paste the entire line from the message below that corresponds to the game you want. (if you include more than one game, you will be blocked from entering). Confused? Watch this GIF tutorial or ask for help.

ModBot Basics:
- This giveaway has a manual blocklist. The giver has identified members who abuse giveaways and restricted them from participating.
- No need to thank me. Please don't post thank you messages in thread or in PM.
- Do not trade keys you win off-site to enrich yourself. Don't try to claim games you have no interest in collecting or playing. Don't claim games to give them to friends off-site.
- If the key is already taken you will not receive a reply. Replies may take a minute or two.

Rules for this Giveaway:
- If you are a lurker you are not eligible for this giveaway. You need five or more posts in either the current Steam thread or the previous one to be eligible
- This giveaway is a LIGHTNING raffle. The winners will be selected by random draw 15 minutes after the draw was created. Any games not claimed after that point will be given away first come first serve.

SECTOR -- MB-5FD811C883D12EEF - Taken by Eanan. 2 entrants total.
Morningstar: Descent to Deadrock -- MB-A5689686A2DE428E - Taken by Saty. 2 entrants total.
Kingdom Wars 2: Battles -- MB-200DB93DCAC5DFB2 - Taken by darkchewie. 2 entrants total.
Ludoku -- MB-890B6777240047CC - Taken by chronomac. 1 entrants total.
Time Mysteries: Inheritance - Remastered -- MB-6DE748DA419B37C0 - Taken by anastef. 1 entrants total.
Terraform -- MB-6D3D38DFCADD637F - Taken by Vuze. 1 entrants total.
Clandestinity of Elsie -- MB-942FC2539F19775B - Taken by BernardoOne. 2 entrants total.

7 Grand Steps: What Ancients Begat -- MB-D8A7338399772E14 - Taken by Se7enSword. 1 entrants total.

t1437168641z1.png

ke914pgiveawayeap5j.gif

Anyone play the new episode of Lake view Cabin yet? Really fucked up and it's different enough from the first episode that I'm confused as to what I should do, lol.

Sober

So for Murdered: Soul Suspect, the investigation ratings (the 3 badges) don't actually matter at all, do they? A quick google search didn't really turn anything up. Doesn't look like you get anything for either getting them right the whole way through or just getting them constantly wrong. So, what was the point of it all?

Purkake4

Banned
Finished Dragonfall, it was surprisingly good. Really looking forward to SR: Hong Kong now.

There's an unclaimed giveaway copy in the OT

Dr Dogg

So for Murdered: Soul Suspect, the investigation ratings (the 3 badges) don't actually matter at all, do they? A quick google search didn't really turn anything up. Doesn't look like you get anything for either getting them right the whole way through or just getting them constantly wrong. So, what was the point of it all?

I don't think so. I pretty sure I only cocked up a couple of them and the only achievements I'm missing are a couple of the collectable ones. I guess it's for completionists sake but really I don't think I'll be replaying the game despite finding it fairly enjoyable due to the story nature of it which wouldn't yield anything different on a subsequent playthough. Also I don't think I could stand those bullshit ghost encounters that pass for 'combat' again.

I don't recall that they do, but the investigations were really easy anyway.

Vuze

Yeah, iirc I was confused by this as well. But no, I don't think they matter at all. (And it's one of the very few games I 100% for whatever reason... I think Playfire Rewards was still going strong back then, that's why. #RIP)

Caerith

you won't play every single game from every shitty bundle you buy for that one game that was good tho

i generally don't run it on the games i'm interested in so i have an excuse to play them but other than that, just jshackles that shit for the "free" monies
That's how I do it too, but I really need to get around to actually playing the games I'm interested in.

Oh wow, you have got to be kidding me. So glad I don't waste time watching these different YouTube personalities' videos.
I dunno, some youtube videos are entertaining. Usually you can tell by the title. If it's called something like "[name of person] plays [name of game]" or some variant, then people watch it just because they like that person. If it's something like "hitman blood money no-kill run" or whatever, then people watch it because it's actually interesting.

Jawmuncher

header.jpg

Contradiction Steam Page

Contradiction is a live-action FMV Murder-Mystery game. You play as Inspector Jenks, a British Policeman who goes to investigate the death of a girl named Katie in a small outskirt village. Her death was investigated and called a suicide, but there was morphine in her blood at her time of death and her driver's license was pinned to a tree in the forest away from the scene of her death, leading our character to investigate closer. His work quickly leads him to find there is indeed something going on in this town...

It's got a few minor flaws. There are a few times where something the character said was obviously a lie or a contradiction to something you already knew, but because you didn't have the 'conversation topic' piece, you couldn't accuse them of this. A few contradictions (or what seem like contradictions) the game doesn't think quite are. Also the game, while it does have an ending and wraps up the case, proposes more questions, especially near the very end, and has several loose plot threads. They seem to be a sequel hook, and past the game credits a message pops-up confirms this saying "Thanks For Playing!", they'd like to make a sequel, but the only way to do so is for the game to do well-enough, and they appreciate reviews/videos/the like on their project.

So that raises the question, "Is it worth it?" To which I say, for me, absolutely so. I liked it, I enjoyed it. There were a few moments I got stumped on what to do (get too stuck and you can use a cheat system to tell you what to do next, a feature I never used, or call your chief for a vague general hint) and as you collect more clues you're given maybe too many conversation points to look over, but I actually ended up enjoying the mystery that unveiled in the game, the loose plot threads interest me to see continued, and the story had some fun twists and turns, was sometimes unintentionally amusing, but other times more consciously so, and was gripping at times. Worth it if an FMV Murder-Mystery sounds up your alley, and want something between hammy entertainment and something more gripping and interesting. Hope to see this world revisited in the future.

---

Steam Review Version: http://steamcommunity.com/id/AestheticGamer/recommended/373390

YES! Glad to hear it's good for someone who like FMV games. Glad that the genre has slowly been revived. Will never be big but it's nice to see FMV games still happening. Will buy this at some point.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom