• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

STEAM | July 2015 - Nothing To Buy With Our Arkham Knight Refunds

Status
Not open for further replies.

Double

It can be. I find some of the retro gaming lists to be useful. As well as list with games of similar play styles. Most of the time, I agree it doesn't seem helpful.

What is going on in the pic? What is it from?
Best series ever aka Doctor Who. Telling what's going on would include some spoilers :D

Uzzy

That is an insane amount of money. If I'm reading this chart right, TI5 has a higher prize pool than Starcraft 2's lifetime prize pool.

oyDVcXm.png

Parsnip

Hmm anyone knows if Batman Origins on PC suffers from performance issues/glitches? I know there were a lot of complaints about the devs not fixing known issues but not sure if it was for console versions only or PC as well

I hear tales of game breaking bugs still left in the game but I never had any. Only bug I saw was when occasionally Bats would punch a goon so hard that they would bounce from ground towards the sky, like way way high up there.

It was hilarious, they should have made it a feature.

Does any of you actually find the curator system useful?

Nope, I've hidden the curator block from store frontpage as well as the individual game pages.

Help me, people.
I'm eying miniITX version of 970
Should make my current 750 TI woes irrelevant.
But... Do I really need such a card for playing mostly lastgen games? I mean, I'm replaying Mass Effect 2 right now, and getting locked 1080p60 with my current GPU. Only game so far that I had to restrict IQ-wise is Witcher 3.
$370 is a lot of money...

If you're gonna drop $370 on a GPU consider the R9 390, it's $329, 4.5gb more VRAM and is the same if not better in performance. It's good future proofing if you're like me and don't upgrade very often.

Help me, people.
I'm eying miniITX version of 970
Should make my current 750 TI woes irrelevant.
But... Do I really need such a card for playing mostly lastgen games? I mean, I'm replaying Mass Effect 2 right now, and getting locked 1080p60 with my current GPU. Only game so far that I had to restrict IQ-wise is Witcher 3.
$370 is a lot of money...

If you're sticking with mostly lastgen games and the Witcher 3 was still sufficiently playable for you, I'd consider holding off on upgrading right now.

Spirited

Mine is pretty and pink
If you're gonna drop $370 on a GPU consider the R9 390, it's $329, 4.5gb more VRAM and is the same if not better in performance. It's good future proofing if you're like me and don't upgrade very often.

I'm guessing he has a small case because he wants to buy the miniITX 970, and all the R9 390's I've seen are really big.

Jawmuncher

Does Idlemaster idle all games to 2 hours and then go for the cards? I downloaded the newest one since I figured I needed an update. But I didn't see any such feature.

Does Idlemaster idle all games to 2 hours and then go for the cards? I downloaded the newest one since I figured I needed an update. But I didn't see any such feature.

Separate program, you need "Idle Master Helper" for the two hour trick then run the standard Idlemaster to get the cards.

Knurek

DS4Windows can't hide DS4 option in Windows 10!

Oh my... The text at DS4Windows site changed from the previous optimistic one to...
Note: Hide DS4 currently does not work in the Windows 10 Preview (very likely won't work with RTM, I'm not certain how to go about fixing this yet)

I'm guessing he has a small case because he wants to buy the miniITX 970, and all the R9 390's I've seen are really big.

Yes, small case, barely able to fit 750 TI.
Also, after the ordeal I had with 6770, I'm not buying another ATI card, ever.
(Not to mention my 430W PSU won't be able to handle anything high-end by ATI)

So both must be running at the same time?

Run helper first on its own and it will idle up to 25 games at a time that have less than 2 hours playtime and card drops remaining in batches. Once all the games with drops available are over two hours close helper and fire up the standard Idlemaster and watch the cards roll in.

GaussTek

I don't think I'll be upgrading to Windows 10 for a while. KI is a long ways away, so I don't really have a reason to rush.

Same here. I thought that I really wanted to upgrade right away or a couple weeks later max, but seems that it will be released as a beta (as expected :p), so yeah, no need to rush. And my Win 8.1 install works pretty much perfect right now (if ain't broken don't fix it).

Anyway, I'm also only interested in KI and perhaps Sea of Thieves, so I think I'll wait until KI releases (Sea of Thieves probably won't be released until 2017 LOL).

inm8num2

We can still download the free upgrade to W10 within a year of it being available right?

Correct. :)

From the MS FAQ:

Is the upgrade really free?

Yes, it’s free. This is a full version of Windows, not a trial or introductory version. It is available for a limited time: you have one year from the time Windows 10 is available to take advantage of this offer.

Maniac

Banned
His fanbase is incapable of anything but that sort of response.

Certainly part of his fanbase, but that sadly comes with the territory of such a massive fanbase / viewerbase. I'm quite a fan of a lot of TBs stuff, including his podcasts, WTF is and his port-reports, but I've no intention of harassing anyone, ever. It's not so much to do with TB as it has to do with the internet being full of scumbags that're human pieces of garbage.
I think the whole "framerate police" is a pretty terrible idea, honestly. Obviously, I'm all for informing people as much as possible about a game before making a purchase - but this has got to be one of the worst ways to go about it.

I understand that they're simply exploiting how the store shows particular curators for a game, but after all this blows over the end result will be that these capped games will simply have a +1 "curators recommend". The store displays new and/or popular curators by default, and it's something that developers can block from their store pages if they choose. If the group remains popular, the best option that developers have is to simply block them from the store pages, and some already have.

If I had developed a game on Steam, regardless of the status of it's frame rate, I'd simply exclude this group from my available curators that show up on my store page. Especially now that the group is taking it into their own hands to issue threats to developers. We're way past the point where Valve needs to step in and shut groups like this down, in my opinion.

A safer alternative: give the developers/publishers a dedicated box on the store page to list things like this, and make it optional. If it's left blank, it could simply say something like "Unspecified" which would prompt them to fill out the information. If they choose not to display it, you can pretty safely assume the game has a fixed framerate.

You can't really blame the actions of the followers / fans on the curators. And come on, even if there was such a box, the majority of publishers wouldn't fill it out, because it doesn't help them, and in a great deal of cases with shit ports, it would actively work against them. It would never really work unless it was mandatory.

Teppic

I guess I'll upgrade my desktop to Windows 10, make a backup, and then back to 8.1

Laptop will stay at 8.1 until this is fixed.

jshackles

Gentlemen, we can rebuild it. We have the capability to make the world's first enhanced store. Steam will be that store. Better than it was before.
Thanks. Was wondering what I had missed since I knew I had saw it in the thread before.

I'm also working on a new version of the main Idle Master program that will idle multiple games automatically up to 2 hours, but it still needs a little bit of testing.

Speaking of Idle Master - I was wondering why I started getting so many hits the last couple of days. Turns out it was featured on gHacks and Kotaku Australia in addition to Softpedia all within the last few days.

It's kind of crazy that the "new" version of Idle Master has only been out for a little over 7 months, and it's already received over 250,000 downloads.

And come on, even if there was such a box, the majority of publishers wouldn't fill it out, because it doesn't help them, and in a great deal of cases with shit ports, it would actively work against them. It would never really work unless it was mandatory.

Now that refunds are a thing, and pretty easy to obtain, having a box like this would help those that chose to use it. If you saw a game on the store that looked kinda "meh" from the screenshots but scrolled down and saw that it supported 4k and 60+fps, wouldn't that make you more interested? Anyway, my approach with Enhanced Steam to this dilemma is to crowd-source these types of questions, so that people can see things like "91% of people surveyed reported that the framerate was fixed" or "81% of people with AMD graphics cards reported that this game performs poorly". It'll be an ongoing and consistent process of refining the right questions, but it should clear up any confusion about a game's technical capabilities without requiring the developers or publishers to reveal these sorts of things.

I'm thinking if it is worth it upgrading my Intel i5 4670K 4C/4T to an i7 processor for games.
for games
Not worth it in the slightest... well, actually worth exactly in the slightest. Not worth the money. Save it for something where you'll see significantly more improvement. Either load times with an SSD or a GPU for much better value. i5 is perfect for gaming.

Double

Hope they aren't raping someone. :(
lol why does everybody think that :D
my who-watching mate too had something with sex in mind
. you guys are just dirty pervs!

whats happening is (short version):
she gave him a precious golden chalice, asking him to be careful with it, while he then starts to smash it to pieces with his hammer to safe the world

long version:
she's a professional thief and the chalice is over a thousand years old and worth millions. The Doctor needs something out of gold to complete the modification of the broken bus they need as a protection to go back through the wormhole to the earth with and the alien technology they gathered from the peacful aliens big spaceship that crashed on that same creepy desert planet. so she reluctantly hands him the chalice, as a swarm of billions of scary everything-eating metal alien monsters are about to close in on them and the ever-growing wormhole, threathing the existence of the whole planet earth. He first takes it out of her hand carefully and then just starts to smash the shit out of it :D

Michelle Ryan is so purty, it's a shame Bionic Woman was such a bad show or she would have become more famous.
I don't think I've ever heard of her or Bionic Woman before, but yeah she made quite the impresson <3

Grief.exe

Not worth it in the slightest... well, actually worth exactly in the slightest. Not worth the money. Save it for something where you'll see significantly more improvement. Either load times with an SSD or a GPU for much better value. i5 is perfect for gaming.

More games are going multithreaded due to the PS4 and XBO including multicore x86 jaguar CPUs, and DX12 should see more efficient use of those cores.

More games are going multithreaded due to the PS4 and XBO including multicore x86 jaguar CPUs, and DX12 should see more efficient use of those cores.
Current demographic doesn't change though and devs make games that work on a broad variety of hardware. That's why even i3 is still a popular chip. Sure, with time more and more games will take advantage of newer chips but it will take quite some time I wager. Atm it's not the smartest place to invest money.

Creamium

shut uuuuuuuuuuuuuuup
With Dishonored completely done, it's time to finally tackle another big backlog beast: Sleeping Dogs. Unfortunately, I got the old version and not the remastered one, but there's a high res texture pack in the dlc section and I'm downloading that.

iosefe

With Dishonored completely done, it's time to finally tackle another big backlog beast: Sleeping Dogs. Unfortunately, I got the old version and not the remastered one, but there's a high res texture pack in the dlc section and I'm downloading that.
Apparently the DE has performance issues in comparison. Original is just fine

Anteater

man Kung Fu Strike is hard

There's a "high res" free dlc you could download I think, be sure to install that.

edit: oh wait that's what you said lol, I misread

Hektor

The "HD-Remaster" runs supposedly far worse than the original PC-Port and doesnt look any better.

There's a "high res" free dlc you could download I think, be sure to install that.

You should'nt have stopped reading at the comma.

dex3108

Man i really want to play some games but it is too hot :( It would be nice to have PS4 now so i can spend time in living room where AC is. What about you SteamGAF? How do you spend days on these abnormal temperatures (especially you in Europe)?

Anteater

Man i really want to play some games but it is too hot :( It would be nice to have PS4 now so i can spend time in living room where AC is. What about you SteamGAF? How do you spend days on these abnormal temperatures (especially you in Europe)?

just hook up your computer in the living room

Maniac

Banned
Does any of you actually find the curator system useful?

Very much so. I've found a handful of zkylon's reviews to be really helpful, they've cemented my purchase several times. The same goes for RPS, TB, Jim Sterling, PCG, Giant Bomb and one for indie gems whose name elludes me atm.
That is an insane amount of money. If I'm reading this chart right, TI5 has a higher prize pool than Starcraft 2's lifetime prize pool.

You're reading that right. And yes, it's fucking insane.

Gimme a piece.
I'm also working on a new version of the main Idle Master program that will idle multiple games automatically up to 2 hours, but it still needs a little bit of testing.

Speaking of Idle Master - I was wondering why I started getting so many hits the last couple of days. Turns out it was featured on gHacks and Kotaku Australia in addition to Softpedia all within the last few days.

It's kind of crazy that the "new" version of Idle Master has only been out for a little over 7 months, and it's already received over 250,000 downloads.

Now that refunds are a thing, and pretty easy to obtain, having a box like this would help those that chose to use it. If you saw a game on the store that looked kinda "meh" from the screenshots but scrolled down and saw that it supported 4k and 60+fps, wouldn't that make you more interested? Anyway, my approach with Enhanced Steam to this dilemma is to crowd-source these types of questions, so that people can see things like "91% of people surveyed reported that the framerate was fixed" or "81% of people with AMD graphics cards reported that this game performs poorly". It'll be an ongoing and consistent process of refining the right questions, but it should clear up any confusion about a game's technical capabilities without requiring the developers or publishers to reveal these sorts of things.
Sure, it'd make me more interested, but the problem is that noone would use this sort of feature if their game didn't have positives to list there, so it certainly becomes a moot point when it comes to safeguarding and informing the consumer. I definitely think a similar, crowdfunded information-box for ES would be great, but that still leaves out several million people.

Sigh, if only Valve would fucking hire you or buy ES already! It would alleviate some of the worst problems with their store.

Also nice to see some of the reviews and recommendations around the web for ES and Idle Master. It's bloody well deserved.

dex3108

just hook up your computer in the living room

I have full tower case and most of my cables are tied to my desk (i did some kind of cable management) so i can't do that. I was thinking about streaming on my notebook but it didn't worked that well for W3 (smaller indie games are working ok but i don;t want to play them now).

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom